Traffic Law Will Be Used To Ban E-Taen Tractors From Bangkok Mass Rally

webfact

Traffic law will be used to ban E-taen tractors from mass rally

By The Nation

30124030-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Authorities will cite the traffic law to ban the red shirts from bringing their E-taen farm tractors to the mass rally scheduled in the capital for next Sunday, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday.

"Farming vehicles like the E-taen are prohibited from travelling on highways and would be a danger to Bangkok's roads," he said.

Suthep urged the red shirts to reconsider their plans to mobilise thousands of pickups, arguing they should rely on train and bus services because a surge of private vehicles from upcountry would exacerbate traffic woes.

"Should some red shirts find it unavoidable to travel by their own vehicles, I have instructed police to arrange parking lots at key gateways before they enter the capital," he said.

He reminded the red shirts that police would tow away any vehicles found to have obstructed traffic, and that vehicle owners would have to bear the costs incurred.

"I am not even sure if there is insurance cover for damage caused at a rally site," Suthep said.

He dismissed rumours that the government was trying to block protesters by denying them transportation services, and that petrol stations had been instructed to refuse service to the red shirts.

Commenting on the six designated Bangkok rally sites on Friday - two days ahead of the mass rally - the deputy PM said the red shirts must not obstruct traffic.

The red shirts and their vehicles will have to undergo security checks before entering the rally sites, he said.

"Red-shirt leaders are responsible for steering the rally in a peaceful manner and they risk having their bail revoked and facing immediate arrest if the crowds turn unruly," he said.

Suthep said the authorities would closely monitor the rally sites. The government will constantly assess the situation as it develops and act promptly to deter violence, including the possibility of enforcing the internal security law, he added.

He said members of the public should carefully think things through before deciding to visit the rally sites, as he suspected organisers had an ulterior motive in stirring up trouble.

He said he had no information about the financing of the opposition movement, although he had heard speculation that the red shirts needed about Bt70 million per day for the upkeep of their mass rally.

In regard to speculation that thousands of Buddhist monks might take part in the rally, he said monks had no business at a political rally.

Even if organisers might ask for a religious blessing at the rally sites, monks should not get involved since their presence would be politicised, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"In regard to speculation that thousands of Buddhist monks might take part in the rally, he said monks had no business at a political rally.

Even if organisers might ask for a religious blessing at the rally sites, monks should not get involved since their presence would be politicised, he said"........

So, monks are not political? Since when are they NOT political? Have you seen how politically active Tibetan monks are?

Yes, I realize these monks are different than Tibetan monks and I realize the differences between different forms of Buddhism.

Since most Thai men (who may be reading this) have been monks at one time in their lives, maybe someone could tell us if there are any specific laws governing political involvement? Just curious.

"In regard to speculation that thousands of Buddhist monks might take part in the rally, he said monks had no business at a political rally.

Even if organisers might ask for a religious blessing at the rally sites, monks should not get involved since their presence would be politicised, he said"........

So, monks are not political? Since when are they NOT political? Have you seen how politically active Tibetan monks are?

Yes, I realize these monks are different than Tibetan monks and I realize the differences between different forms of Buddhism.

Since most Thai men (who may be reading this) have been monks at one time in their lives, maybe someone could tell us if there are any specific laws governing political involvement? Just curious.

This is a good one for the religious forum, 'when is a monk not a monk? answer: when he wants something'.

Thaksin and TRT were always well linked into the Dhammakaya sect. They are not exactly averse to politics especially the politics of welath

And if you read a Breaking News item elsewhere, it is from the Dhammakaya sect where the bulk of these "monks" will come from.

From what I know about them, they are not your run of the mill saffron wearing, "forrest monks", but more in line with Hammered's comments.

Edited by RegularReader

Farming vehicles like the E-taen are prohibited from travelling on highways

This really made me smile.

'

If any Khon Kaen cops read the Thai version of Khun Suthep's statement they must have said "Really? I didn't know that.' with a perplexed look on their mugs.

God help us if they let all those E-Taens through,

it would look like downtown Mandalay at sunset....

I want to know who pays for the gas for all the E-Taens to tavell all the way to Bkk. Everyone get only one guess :)

God help us if they let all those E-Taens through,

I want to know who pays for the gas for all the E-Taens to tavell all the way to Bkk. Everyone get only one guess :D

....and who will pay all other costs for them...

:):D :D