The Hurt Locker Wins The Best Picture

webfact

OSCARS

The Hurt Locker wins the Best Picture

Iraq war drama The Hurt Locker won six Oscars Sunday night including best picture and made history when director Kathryn Bigelow became the first woman to win the best director prize in the Oscar's 82-year history.

- Best Director : Kathryn Bigelow, "the Heart Locker"

- Best Picture : "the Hurt LockerW

- Best Actor : Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart."

- Best Actress : Sandra Bullock, "the Blind Side."

- Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique, "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire.''

- Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds.''

- Adapted Screenplay: Geoffrey Fletcher, "Precious: Based on the Novel `Push' by Sapphire.''

- Animated Feature Film: "Up.''

- Original Song: "The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)'' from "Crazy Heart,'' Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett.

- Original Screenplay: Mark Boal, "The Hurt Locker.''

- Animated Short Film: "Logorama.''

- Documentary (short subject): "Music by Prudence.''

- Live Action Short Film: "The New Tenants.''

- Makeup: "Star Trek.''

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I'm so happy Avatar got sh*t. That was such an absolutely crap movie; I couldn't believe that all the so called "critics" were raving about this complete waste of money, at least the academy have put it in it's place.

And all the losers on IMDB calling it the best movie of all time...<deleted>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

Or did part of the $300Million go towards fake reviews? God i could flame this movie for a couple of hours, but i'll just leave it at that...(for now)

I'm so happy Avatar got sh*t. That was such an absolutely crap movie; I couldn't believe that all the so called "critics" were raving about this complete waste of money, at least the academy have put it in it's place.

And all the losers on IMDB calling it the best movie of all time...<deleted>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

Or did part of the $300Million go towards fake reviews? God i could flame this movie for a couple of hours, but i'll just leave it at that...(for now)

I agree. Terrible movie.

I didn't enjoy Hurt Locker. I feel the academy gave that film the win over liberal guilt for the class of Americans who are getting killed in foreign wars. Hollywood people generally don't go to such wars. I like Hollywood people but there really were better films this year.

Hurt locker had huge "mistakes" for a "reality"-claiming movie that it is based on Iraq's invasion, specially with the first few scenes , when showing an explosive-detecting-robot roving the street, and "the butcher=meat shop" had the sign with the word : "ملحمة" , which meant that is either in Syria, or Jordan: definitely not in Iraq; cause they use the word "كصابة" !

I knew instantly by that scene , that the movie was shot in Jordan. :)

I didn't enjoy Hurt Locker. I feel the academy gave that film the win over liberal guilt for the class of Americans who are getting killed in foreign wars. Hollywood people generally don't go to such wars. I like Hollywood people but there really were better films this year.

Yeah. And giving it to Avatar would've sent out a slightly different message.

Yeah. And giving it to Avatar would've sent out a slightly different message.

True.

Cameron said that Americans had a “moral responsibility” to understand the impact that their country’s recent military campaigns had had. “We went down a path that cost several hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives. I don’t think the American people even know why it was done. So it’s all about opening your eyes.”

The film pitches the viewer 145 years into the future where a paraplegic US Marine called Jake Sully is flown to the hostile planet of Pandora to join a colony seeking to mine a rare mineral that can solve Earth’s 22nd-century energy crisis.

The planet is home to the Na’vi, a species of 10ft-tall, blue-skinned hunters who enjoy a close bond with their bountiful natural environment and resist the humans’ incursions.

Sully “remotely inhabits” a genetically engineered avatar created from a fusion of his DNA and Na’vi DNA and sets out to win the natives’ trust. In the background is the looming threat of the heavily armed human colony who want the minerals under the Na’vi’s land. This is where the politics comes in. The hero is with the Na’vi when the humans attack their homes. The fusillade of gas, incendiary bombs and guided missiles that wreck their ancient habitat is described as “shock and awe”, the term popularised by the US military assault on Baghdad that opened the Iraq war in 2003.

The humans’ military commander declares: “Our survival relies on pre-emptive action. We will fight terror, with terror.” One of the more sympathetic characters preparing to resist the human invasion bemoans the need for “martyrdom”.

One theory for the box-office success of the Star Wars films in the 1970s and 1980s was that, in their depiction of a plucky guerrilla insurgency against a vastly better equipped superpower, they enabled a generation of Americans to refight the Vietnam war on the side of the underdogs. The same idea holds true for Avatar. The War on Terror references are more complex than simply equating the US with the villains in the film.

After the Na’vi homes collapse in flames the landscape is coated in ash and floating embers in scenes reminiscent of Ground Zero after the September 11 attacks.

Cameron, who was born in Canada, said that he had been “surprised at how much it did look like September 11. I didn’t think that was necessarily a bad thing”.

Referring to the “shock and awe” sequence, he said: “We know what it feels like to launch the missiles. We don’t know what it feels like for them to land on our home soil, not in America. I think there’s a moral responsibility to understand that.

“That’s not what the movie’s about — that’s only a minor part of it. For me it feels consistent only in a very generalised theme of us looking at ourselves as human beings in a technical society with all its skills, part of which is the ability to do mechanised warfare, part of which is the ability to do warfare at a distance, at a remove, which seems to make it morally easier to deal with, but its not.”

This full article

I did enjoy it and a lot of other people did and I don't agree that there were better films this year. Different people have different opinions and the Hurt Locker won honestly. Get over it! cool.gif

I did enjoy it and a lot of other people did and I don't agree that there were better films this year. Different people have different opinions and the Hurt Locker won honestly. Get over it! cool.gif

I am over it. Having seen seven of the ten, I would have voted for --

A Serious Man

(this movie sticks with you for days like a strong menudo)

Edited by Jingthing

The Hurt Locker - watched it on DVD, and that's a couple of hours of my life I'll never get back!

What a waste of celluloid (or digits).

Bigelow should have gone to the masters for lessons in plotting, relationships, and character.

Only good thing about wasting that time was that it sent me back to the 1979 British production, Danger UXB

Now that was class!

Haven't seen Avatar, and little interest in it. I just think this year's crop was empty and they had to hand out the awards anyway, so ....

Seems to me that the Oscar people are just average Americans who rather vote for a movie about war abroad than cleaning up their own backjard as shown in Precious.

I believe the reason was that it was a better film :D

That said, Mo'Nique was superd in Precious.

I was speaking to some guys yesterday in a bar on Samui. All these guys coincidentally were ex special forces....SAS, SBS, Delta force (strangely skint though and down on their luck) and they assured me it was very realistic :):D

A Serious Man

Sorry mate, it was no where near as good as Up In The Air let alone The Hurt Locker. You are confusing personal taste with quality

A Serious Man

Sorry mate, it was no where near as good as Up In The Air let alone The Hurt Locker. You are confusing personal taste with quality

You don't think the judges go by their own taste? Anyway, I will watch Up in the air and let you know. I do know I didn't like Hurt Locker.

Avatar was a poor film, with poor plot, and poor acting et etc.

It got 3 oscars for technical aspects, which is probably fair enough

It was great 3-D and visually stunning, but I found myself starting to nod off a few times.

Avatar was great as was Hurt Locker. SciFi never wins at the Oscars. Any rate Hurt Locker is pretty intense stuff - just shows that danger/war can be rather addictive drug. I mean look the lad was bored taking care of his family at home and then re-enlists to put his life in danger again. Very well done movie, and deserved the Oscar - even though seems inaccurate to lot of what is going on there. Personally would have given the Oscar to Avatar since it was ground breaking cinema, but as I said SciFi is usually looked down upon by the snooty Hollywood types.