Real-helmets New "ozzy" Model

GungaDin

^^^^ Delivery promised for Thursday.

I asked about the cost of spare visors and spare lining.

I think he quoted a dual price, so I backed off.

Will be interesting to see the online price of spares, if they ever get 'round to updating their website. :)

Thanks,I look forward to your update regarding the fit.I really curious if there was something wrong with the helmets I tried in that shop as all turned out a lot bigger then GJ-603 I have.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's arrived & very different to the GJ-603.

Lower profile and a perfect fit. Looks more like a jet pilots lid, a la 'Tiny Tom' Cruise.

The visor is not as deep as the GJ-603 and the green visor is essentially a half visor operated by a small "lever"

on the left side of the lid. Press a red button adjacent, and the green visor vanishes.

Have to be careful not to smile or laugh while riding, you could end up with a mouth full of bugs. :)

Packaging was excellent. EMS stamp showed a charge of 100bt..... robbing b*stards....... :D

NO DOT sticker. Maybe later? Weight 1Kg. Does not feel heavy.

Will certainly buy direct again.

^^Thanks for the update Gungadin.Indeed it is an attractive helmet.

Did you take the same size as of your other helmet?I also read that it has a green visor as to where the samples I tried all had a brown sun visor.Is the green color an option?

Enjoy your new helmet.

I had my new Real helmet delivered today, too. Following payment, it took 2 days to get here, tracked all the way on EMS.

It's a discontinued full-face model named "Kevlar Bull", with fibreglass/kevlar shell. Cost 3400 baht but they have very few left & in limited colours. The helmet was double-boxed and, as GD said, EMS charge was 107 baht. Real charged 200 baht so the other 93 is for packaging, which isn't a bad deal.

Finish is excellent, with removeable liner, double D-ring fastening, plenty of vents, breath guard and a bag. Weight is 1450g. There's even a popper on the loose end of the strap, to stop it flapping about in the wind - never had that on a Shoei.

My head measures 57cm so I ordered Size M. Fit is perfect but getting glasses on is a pain, but that's just one downside of wearing the things. I've had the same problem with expensive Shoeis in the past. But a good, snug fit is more important than getting specs on easily, I think.

There's no DOT sticker but it carries a sticker for the EU ECER 22-05 standard, which is bang up-to-date, I think, and possibly superior to DOT. Visor is stamped with EU approval E-13.

Once I got Real to respond to e-mails - by calling them, as GD did - their service was excellent. Perhaps the more foreigners they deal with, the better their response will be.

If I need another helmet, maybe for Mrs.L, I'll certainly go back to Real, especially as I now have a name & bank details for payment. But maybe it'd be sensible of them to update the website because it seems there are far more models available than the website lets on.

Perhaps I shouldn't do this but I will anyway. If you think a Real helmet is for you, use this e-mail address; [email protected]

Now to go out for a blast ..........

That could be just the Helmet I need.

I can't find one with a clear Visor , can't see a thing out of the cheapy index I've got on early morning or late evening runs unless I ride with the visor up and catch the early morning, late afternoon Bugs.

How accurate are they on Sizing ? I need to take a head measurement just above the ears or what ?

I like the looks of the Ozzy helmet and I've always heard posotive things about Real helmets. Now I'm wearing a 3/4 face Avex but I think my next helmet will be a Real full face :)

Good info, thanks for sharing!

I can't find one with a clear Visor , can't see a thing out of the cheapy index I've got on early morning or late evening runs unless I ride with the visor up and catch the early morning, late afternoon Bugs.

How accurate are they on Sizing ? I need to take a head measurement just above the ears or what ?

Hi Jubby.

Measure your head with a fabric tape measure, 1 inch above your eyebrows and ears.

Or, use a piece of string and lay it out on a reg builder's tape measure.

Order your size in cms, NOT S, M, L, etc.

Good luck. :)

Hi Jubby.

Measure your head with a fabric tape measure, 1 inch above your eyebrows and ears.

Or, use a piece of string and lay it out on a reg builder's tape measure.

Order your size in cms, NOT S, M, L, etc.

Good luck. :)

OK, thanks GungaDin. 58cm it is. I've sent an Email with order details. See how long it takes for them to respond.

^^^ What do you ride? :)

Oh , its just a Phantom ta200.

Got a Email response back this morning. Model in short supply. Doesn't say they haven't got one though, I've asked when one will be available.

I wanted one in Black.

jubby

Nice moto

I'd rather ride your moto down to SIN than mine. :)

Did you pay Real in advance?

No I've not paid in advance. They said short supply, not no supply so I guess the shops get priority. Availability mid April is the latest from them. I can wait , no probs.

I bought the G-Force 58cm (M) after following this thread.

I wrote the company an email to begin. I specified exactly what helmet I wanted - colour & size. I received a reply within 24 hours saying they did not have my size in that colour but would get it.

I asked for the bank transfer number. I received a reply back within about 12 hours. I sent the funds the next day in the afternoon (Wednesday) and had a follow up call immediately to notify them the funds were sent. They received an SMS from the bank as well if I am not mistaken.

They notified me by lunch on Thursday that the helmet was shipped. I received it in a double-boxed package in perfect condition on Saturday.

It fit perfectly, a little snug but they all pack out. It was plush inside as I expected, as good as an Arai or Shoei, imo.

My experience with this company, with this purchase, can only be called outstanding!

Of note, my helmet comes with the ECE R 22-05 safety rating as well.

If you actually watch the demo, online at the real-helmet website, you can see them performing the actual impact tests for anvil and penetration. (The impact transmission was a remarkable 142 G from my reading). In any event, here is a blurb about the helmet testing standards of ECE :

A third helmet standard from the Economic Community of Europe (ECE) is actually the most commonly used internationally, the ECE 22.05, required by over 50 countries worldwide. While helmet standards all have the goal of regulating helmet performance for protection of riders’ heads, some performance requirements conflict between standards.

A major benefit for U.S. riders is that the ECE 22.05 standard does not directly conflict with the DOT standard. Limited testing shows that ECE qualified helmets will also meet the demands of FMVSS 218. Of course, not all DOT helmets will meet ECE 22.05 because the European standard does require testing at higher velocities than DOT.

Another advantage of the ECE 22.05 standard is the requirement for mandatory batch testing of helmets before they are released to the riding public. What this means to the consumer is the quality of the helmet in meeting the ECE 22.05 standard is assured by a mandatory sample testing of every production of helmets before they leave the factory, not with random testing performed after thousands of helmets with unknown quality are delivered to the dealers.

No one helmet designed to a particular standard or standards can provide the maximum protection in all types of crashes and no helmet can protect the wearer against all foreseeable impacts. Helmets can be designed to provide additional protection, for example, full-face helmets compared to the open-face types, but added protection comes with a weight penalty.

How much weight are you willing to wear? If you reject helmets with less coverage, you will end up with a helmet that covers most of your head and weighs about three pounds. By choosing a helmet meeting a high performance standard such as ECE 22.05, you can minimize that weight while maximizing protection.

Summary

If you’re not comfortable with a helmet that only meets the US Government DOT standard, what do you look for? Historically, American riders have looked for a Snell label but the world is getting smaller and we now have other viable alternatives. The ECE 22.05 standard is used in over 50 European countries, including Germany, a country known for taking a hard line on personal protection.

Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP. Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

So it looks like one can put his or her safety fears to bed with this certification.

Another advantage of the ECE 22.05 standard is the requirement for mandatory batch testing of helmets before they are released to the riding public. What this means to the consumer is the quality of the helmet in meeting the ECE 22.05 standard is assured by a mandatory sample testing of every production of helmets before they leave the factory, not with random testing performed after thousands of helmets with unknown quality are delivered to the dealers.

a mandatory sample testing of every production of helmets before they leave the factory

That's what I want to know about.

Does someone come out from Brussels unannounced etc. ? :)

(rhetorical question, not aimed at any one) :D

Does someone come out from Brussels unannounced etc. ? :)

(rhetorical question, not aimed at any one) :D

I heard there are around 100 Controller applying every year to go for a surprise visit to Thailand.

All in the Name of Safety :D

As someone who has been hit by a car here in Thailand I can not believe how excited you guys are getting over these helmets. Seriously. 1800 and 3400 baht? They look like the faceplate will cave immediately upon contact. Would you even look at a hundred dollar helmet in your home country? No thanks. I will continue to wear my my heavy full face Shoei. I know it works. Your head is worth a little more I would think.

Tim

As someone who has been hit by a car here in Thailand I can not believe how excited you guys are getting over these helmets. Seriously. 1800 and 3400 baht? They look like the faceplate will cave immediately upon contact. Would you even look at a hundred dollar helmet in your home country? No thanks. I will continue to wear my my heavy full face Shoei. I know it works. Your head is worth a little more I would think.

Tim

The cheap helmets in Thailand make great pot plant containers, that's about it though. I'll stick to my UK, USA or AUS safety spec helmets. I won't an open casket if I buy the big one.

Edited by Garry

Tim

Well some of us would like a K1000 but can only afford a 135 scooter, same goes for helmets.

Those of us on fixed low pensions/incomes & are at the whim of exchange rates, would love to buy a $500 lid.

We're making the best of a bad job, so, nah, nahny nah nah... :)

It must be nice to be able to brag.

Tim

Well some of us would like a K1000 but can only afford a 135 scooter, same goes for helmets.

Those of us on fixed low pensions/incomes & are at the whim of exchange rates, would love to buy a $500 lid.

I was not bragging. I am fairly sure my income is probably less than even yours on your fixed income. I saved for it. Up to you to decide what is important for you to spend your money on.

Tim

I was not bragging. I am fairly sure my income is probably less than even yours on your fixed income. I saved for it. Up to you to decide what is important for you to spend your money on.

Sort of comes back to the old adage, what's your head worth. But to be honest I want to be around my family for the years to follow. If I had to spend that little bit extra for decent kit, then so be it. Mind you that is my choice, please go ahead with the plastic buckets on your head guys, at least they, the meds, will have something to collect the goo in. :D

Edited by Garry

Don't know about US or Australian motorcycle helmet standards, but ALL helmets sold for bikes in UK must meet the ECER 22-05 standard, which is exactly the standard that the "Real" helmets we're talking about here are tested to. Therefore they are as good, in terms of their safety standard, as a Shoei, Arai ...... whathaveyou.

It might be that spending 25,00 baht on a Shoei will buy you some additional safety over my 3400 baht helmet but I don't know that. Nor do you - you only KNOW that it meets exactly the same standard as my "Real", even if you want to believe differently.

Having bought Shoeis many times in the past, I'm sure a large part of their price is in the paint job, which does nothing to protect your head. My "Real" helmet is fibreglass/kevlar construction but I don't know the percentage Kevlar used, just as I didn't know this fact about my Shoeis.

My riding style is nothing like what it was in UK - I'm far more careful now (and I was very safety-conscious in UK, with IAM & RoSPA Gold passes on bikes) and my bike doesn't nearly match my UK machines but it's fun and the risks are lower because I'm aware of what a bunch of <deleted> share the road with me. Having said all this, my riding kit reflects what I can buy fairly locally simply because I haven't been back to UK in a while to stock-up.

By the way, troehr, my "Real" is heavier than my old Shoei by a good 100g plus, since you mention the weight factor.

Edited by MartinL

Good Helmets dont have to cost a lot. I remember there was, maybe 10 years ago, a Helmet Test on TV in Switzerland. And one of the cheapest Helmets was the safest of all. A Helmet sold in Supermarkets at that time.

Edited by CHdiver

My main concern about buying any unknown brand (to me) helmets in Thailand is the legality of the competent authority testing decal/label attached or sewn in. I have heard of the fraudulent production of these testing decals/labels in other countries and nothing would surprise me here, so I would rather hedge my bets with a brand I recognise. Each to his own I suppose :)

I'll go along with Garry in regard to the Tupperware with straps on sale in the s/markets etc, but neither of you know anything about this helmet.

At least some of us own it & can decide for ourselves if it meets comfort & safety standards set by the EU, which it does.

Also, I don't need to lectured on what I do with my money.

It's still bragging regardless of the spin (BS) you reply with.

How do you know your expensive lids weren't popped out in a Chinese factory for $10 with US QC???

As Bell are now.

This is schoolboy <deleted>.... "My helmet is better than your helmet"...... because I paid more for it. :)

Until you can provide documentary evidence that the Ozzy is of a lower safety standard than your Shoei etc. you'd do better to keep your hands in your pockets.

Honestly, as long as the helmet is a known company to me and has the attached or stamped in my case safety standard, then I'm a happy camper. I bought my last helmet at the 2007 Isle of Man TT. It has UK street & racing standards and the price was good as well. If I remember correctly, the NitroTT cost me just over a 100 GBP = roughly 5000 baht.

Bloody nice helmet and not overly expensive. My last racing helmet was a pure white Kevlar/Carbon AGV. Light as a feather (philosophically) and cost me a bunch in Australia.

TTNitro.jpg

Edited by Garry