Fears Of Grenade Attacks At Bangkok Key Sites

webfact

Fears of grenade attacks at key sites

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Authorities in Bangkok began bracing yesterday for possible grenade attacks in many areas of the city during a rally by the red shirts, a source said.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration executives met with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva at Government House yesterday, where the PM informed them about intelligence pointing to violence in the capital.

According to the source, |the prime minister said intelligence showed that there would be bomb attacks in at least two locations and grenades would be thrown at 30-40 locations, particularly "important places".

Abhisit instructed the BMA executives to closely monitor the situation. He pointed out that some 2,000 "well-trained hardliners" would be among the protesters.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police commissioner Lt Gen Santhan Chayanont yesterday called a meeting of senior city police to prepare for the rally later this week.

The city police chief told officers to secure the bureau's headquarters and all police |stations in Bangkok, as well |as keeping law and order at the six major protest sites around Bangkok, according to the Metropolitan Police spokesman, Maj Gen Piya Uthayo.

Police expected the rally to last three to seven days, with the tendency of "worse violence than before", the spokesman said.

In a related development, rumours of a severe riot were spread among university students yesterday.

An Assumption University student said they got messages via forwarded emails and mobile phone SMS telling them to stock up on food and to withdraw money from banks.

"Many of the students told their parents and they are all afraid now," she added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

IMPORTANT INFO FOR FOREIGNERS LIVING IN THAILAND

As an expat you are advised to follow the developing news for your security!

Follow the Breaking News updates via Thaivisa:

- Breaking News via SMS text messages to your mobile phone or

handheld device

To subscribe dial *424010011 on AIS, One-2-Call, DTAC or True Move networks

14 days complementary subscription for Thaivisa members.

If you have questions about the Breaking News SMS service, email

[email protected]

OR follow us:

- Via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/farang

- Via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/georgebkk

"An Assumption University student said they got messages via forwarded emails and mobile phone SMS telling them to stock up on food and to withdraw money from banks."

Makes me wonder if Thailand has any national bank coverage the way America does?

This is horrible news if there is a run on the banks.

"An Assumption University student said they got messages via forwarded emails and mobile phone SMS telling them to stock up on food and to withdraw money from banks."

Makes me wonder if Thailand has any national bank coverage the way America does?

They do.

One of the joys of poverty is not having to worry about the money in the bank!

I wouldn't worry too much about a run on banks because this is pretty much a cash society--less so than in the past, but still pretty much cash oriented. I also would assume the problems are going to be in the Bangkok area, not outside of BKK.

I wouldn't worry too much about a run on banks because this is pretty much a cash society--less so than in the past, but still pretty much cash oriented. I also would assume the problems are going to be in the Bangkok area, not outside of BKK.

You don't get my point. If the reds succeed in crippling the capital and the government creating the massive chaos many people think they are after, there could be a loss in confidence in all institutions in Thailand, including the banks, and people acting selfishly may go en masse to their banks to take out all their money, and the banks will in no way have all that money, creating even more panic, and bank closures. Yes it has happened in other countries. This red revolution business is not child's play, they are playing with serious stuff here.

You don't get my point. If the reds succeed in crippling the capital and the government creating the massive chaos many people think they are after, there could be a loss in confidence in all institutions in Thailand, including the banks, and people acting selfishly may go en masse to their banks to take out all their money, and the banks will in no way have all that money, creating even more panic, and bank closures. Yes it has happened in other countries. This red revolution business is not child's play, they are playing with serious stuff here.

Hey, is that you, the ALARMIST? :)

Well JT - it's probably a good thing you are not in charge of the BOT or any other of the Banks.

Well JT - it's probably a good thing you are not in charge of the BOT or any other of the Banks.

I actually do not get your point. We have a report here of Thai people being advised to take money out of the bank. Do the messages say take some, or do they say drain it? If masses of people go to drain their accounts, there is no way the banks can honor that, do you seriously disagree with that? I am not saying this will happen, I am saying it CAN happen. Ask any Argentinian.

You are right, it isn't child's play. The problem is that the bank bombings can't be tied to the Red Shirts (yet). In any event, the url below can be copied and pasted for info on Thailand's deposit insurance program:

//URL removed//

Let me remind some of you youngsters out there about runs on banks. In the 1970's James Clavell wrote a book called "TaiPan" about Hong Kong in the 1800's. Alan Gournt, a person in the story, threatened the TaiPan with a run on the banks to collapse Hong Kong. This he did and it shows a very graphic way of people demonstrating at the bank, when the bank cannot and does not have money to give to the clients. Things get nasty very quickly indeed.

Lets not jump to what will happen yet, just sit tight and wait for the sh.. to begin, then we can see what happens?

If the banks do look threatened, make sure you are one of the first inline at your bank to withdraw all your money.

Now, I just wonder how this will impact on the poor buggers out there on retirement visas that say you must have money in your account for two consecutive months....think of this ball of wax hitting the fan in the future? Have a good day folks.

In such a scenario, the banks might either place limits on withdrawals or even do a temporary freeze hoping the panic is only temporary. In the case of Argentina, the banks basically stole the money.

I am not predicting any of this will happen here. I wouldn't have even thought about it except for hearing here the very troubling sign that Thais are telling other Thais to get out their money. There is no other way to color that news other than as a bad sign. BTW, if you think the bank insurance rules are worth the paper they are written on in the case of a total political meltdown of a country, well, OK then.

Edited by Jingthing

Are you aware of the concept of fractional reserve banking and what removing 'banked' money from the system does to the overall money supply ??

Attacks on Siriraj Hospital have been mentioned several times in recent weeks on Thai forums and now by Chalerm.

Highly unlikely, but were such an attack to occur, then it would really set the cat among the pigeons and you could pretty much guarantee mass civil disturbances.

UPDATE

Security tightened on 30 to 40 areas prone for bomb attacks

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thuagsuban on Wednesday said security forces have been alerted to monitor 30 to 40 areas in the capital that might be targetted for bomb attacks.

The high-risk areas included key government installations and public places.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-10

Update:

Boonjong confirms intelligence report of possible bombings at 40 locations in Bangkok, similar sabotage likely in Northern and Northeastern provinces.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-10

a bit ambiguous- note that the report does not claim 'planned' bombings- every location in this country is a possible target for bombs- and common sense would suggest that some places would be a more attractive target than others- but this does not mean that the intelligence has discovered PLANS to bomb those locations. IF all that is 'known' is that government offices would be attractive targets for bombers- well- duhhhh!

Simply saying that there 'would be' bombings on the basis that it is possible is not good enough- has intelligence discovered PLANS to bomb key installations?

Edited by blaze

Honest officer, I forgot my pin number and that's why I used a grenade to get my money out of the A.T.M.

No , not looting just taking what is mine, ah all the other banknotes I have, I was going to return them when the branch re-opened honest

"In response to supporters' questions about possible violence during the red-shirts rally, Thaksin said he had always stressed that the red-shirts must stick to the strategy of Mahatma Gandhi, who used peaceful means in fighting for the independence of India."

This guy is going more and more nuts, comparing the fight for his black money with Gandhi's liberation of India.

Crazy! He knows well that he will not be able (...and he does not want) to control the mob which will appear on BKK's streets by Friday. It's a shame!

Here's a media release from the UDD International Media spokesperson, Sean Boonpracong.

Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/UDDThailand

UDD Media release- For immediate release

THAILAND: THE STATE OF FEAR

George Orwell taught us that, “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act,” and in Thailand, such revolutionaries are to be done away with. The twisted path toward democracy in Thailand is littered with the bodies of the honest. Today, we recognise that these people were guilty only of refusing to remain silent- but at the time the authorities claimed they were dangerous agitators who had to be suppressed for the sake of national security. They were branded malcontents and traitors, and enemies of the Nation, Religion and the Monarchy, so as to gain the peoples silent consent as they were arrested or killed. In the land where history tends to repeat itself, these accusations remain the weapons of choice for the dictators who fear democracy.

It appears that democracy is the very thing that the Abhisit regime fears the most. It masks this reality behind a wall of deceit and a baffling array of stunts aimed at turning Thais against Thais- but people are beginning to see through their insincerity, and the wall of deceit is beginning to crumble. As the wall crumbles, so the regime becomes more fearful, and in its fear, it reveals its true nature- a right-wing military dictatorship that is as disdainful of democracy as it is of equal justice.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship invites those who still believe in democracy to renounce military rule and join us in our call for immediate, internationally monitored general elections. This weekend, we will take to the streets of Bangkok armed with nothing but truth and our sincerity. We will demand an end to the era of military-aristocratic interference in our government, as well as the recognition by such forces that the People are the sovereign rulers of Thailand. We do so in the hope that there will come a time when its citizens will no longer fear oppression or disenfranchisement, but will live as free equals in a truly democratic constitutional monarchy.

If our motives are to be questioned, let those who question them come and see our rally with their own eyes. If our objectives are to be opposed, let them be opposed at the ballot box as in any other civilised nation, not through the suspension of our human rights to free speech or assembly. But if the Abhisit government is as much a puppet for a hardline military junta as we suspect, let it continue down the path it appears to have chosen. But let it not be mistaken in the belief that the Thai people will thank them for it in the end.

Well I got 250k out this morning as a contingency that I may have to leave in a hurry.

So if you see me in a gorilla get up at the airport that will be me.

Your address and safe combination? Just in case we need to rescue you and your assets if things turn ugly? :)

John- that is a well-written piece of propaganda. If the UDD didn't talk out of four sides of its mouth at the same time, the first paragraph might hold some water. The 2nd paragraph says Abhisit doesn't respect democracy, but its the UDD that is trying to overturn an election. And "the people are starting to see through their insincerity" - its the UDD who are losing support, not the government. "Right wing dictatorship"? There are people in the US who compare Obama to Hitler - that doesn't mean its true. The last two paragraphs - remains to be seen. Going by their track record, I don't believe it.

I went to their Facebook site,and found their six principles, put together by their culinary team:

Culinary Team:The Six Principles of the (UDD) The United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship

1) Achieving the goal of establishing a genuine democracy that has the King as our Head of State, with political power belonging exclusively to the people. We reject any attempt, past or future, at using the monarchy to silence dissent or advance a particular agenda.

2) Dissolving the 2007 Constitution and restoring the 1997 Constitution, which may then be amended through a transparent, consultative and democratic process.

3) Bringing Thais together in an effort to solve our political and socio-economic problems, recognizing that such efforts must stem from the power of the people.

4) Implementing the rule of law, due process and a system of equal justice for all, free of any obstructions or double-standards.

5) Uniting all Thais who love democracy, equality, and equal justice within all facets of society, in an effort to deconstruct and move beyond the Amartyatippatai (Aristocracy) system.

6) Using exclusively non-violent means to achieve these objectives.

Just for fun, let's assume 1 & 2 (although bringing back the old constitution and amending it not surprisingly involves clearing Thaksin of convictions) are true....but #3- bringing people together? They have done nothing but be divisive since their inception. #4: So that means Thaksin will have to serve his time? And the Alpine Golf Course case will be followed up? And no more bribing of judges? #5: Does that include the gays whose pride parade in Chiang Mai they forced to be cancelled by threatening violence? 6: Burning buses, using LPG trucks as bombs, throwing bricks and bottles at firemen- all non-violent?

You've been duped sonny boy.

Why would the reds be targeting police stations? I thought the police tended to lean red?

They were quite a presence at the police stations up here for awhile. They tend to gather around when their leadership gets locked up.