Catholic Churchs Near To Mrt Station

Petert

Dear Bangkok Catholics - I saw all the helpful suggestions for another....can you help me too?

I am now a resident here in Bangkok...and I would like to attend mass each Sunday - can anyone give me instructions on getting to a catholic church which is near to an MRT Station (that is: the underground rail)?

Also is the Assumption Cathedral basically opposite the Oriental Hotel? or is that a misunderstanding?

Kindest regards

Peter

Dear Bangkok Catholics - I saw all the helpful suggestions for another....can you help me too?

I am now a resident here in Bangkok...and I would like to attend mass each Sunday - can anyone give me instructions on getting to a catholic church which is near to an MRT Station (that is: the underground rail)?

Also is the Assumption Cathedral basically opposite the Oriental Hotel? or is that a misunderstanding?

Kindest regards

Peter

Yes, just opposite The Oriental there is the Assumption Cathedral.

I think that there is a Catholic church just beside Pacific Place next the Landmark hotel and if you come on the Skytrain to the Nana stop after the Asoke interchange you can see it from the platform.

The church on Soi 10 is a Christain Protestant Church with a Korean pastor I think.

There is a Roman Cath. church on Soi Ruum Rudee. It is a 5 minute walk from the Plaza Athenee Hotel on Soi Ruum Rudee.

If you take MRTA and xfer at Sukhumvit Station to the BTS (Asok Station). You then take the BTS for two more stations --Nana and then Ploenchit station where you exit. The BTS ride should take at most about 10 minutes.

From Ploencihit BTS walk down Soi Ruum Rudee and you will see Plaza Athanee Hotel on the right in 5 minutes. Another 5 minutes (maybe 10 mins. at most) you will see HOLY REEDEMER Church and School. The church looks like a Thai temple from the outside (which it used to be I am told). The church's courtyard is located on the left side of the street at the point before the soi turns 90 degrees to the right. Another landmark is Neal's Tavern/restaurant is very close by.

You could also take a taxi from Sukhumvit MRTA and get there for 35-45 baht fare on a Sunday morning I suspect. Taxi driver might not know Holy Redeemer but should recognize "Soi Ruum Rudee" or Neal's Tavern.

Mass Services are alternately in English or in Thai.

I think that there is a Catholic church just beside Pacific Place next the Landmark hotel and if you come on the Skytrain to the Nana stop after the Asoke interchange you can see it from the platform.

The church on Soi 10 is a Christain Protestant Church with a Korean pastor I think.

There is a Roman Cath. church on Soi Ruum Rudee. It is a 5 minute walk from the Plaza Athenee Hotel on Soi Ruum Rudee.

If you take MRTA and xfer at Sukhumvit Station to the BTS (Asok Station). You then take the BTS for two more stations --Nana and then Ploenchit station where you exit. The BTS ride should take at most about 10 minutes.

From Ploencihit BTS walk down Soi Ruum Rudee and you will see Plaza Athanee Hotel on the right in 5 minutes. Another 5 minutes (maybe 10 mins. at most) you will see HOLY REEDEMER Church and School. The church looks like a Thai temple from the outside (which it used to be I am told). The church's courtyard is located on the left side of the street at the point before the soi turns 90 degrees to the right. Another landmark is Neal's Tavern/restaurant is very close by.

You could also take a taxi from Sukhumvit MRTA and get there for 35-45 baht fare on a Sunday morning I suspect. Taxi driver might not know Holy Redeemer but should recognize "Soi Ruum Rudee" or Neal's Tavern.

If I am wrong please accept my apologies.

billd766

If I am wrong please accept my apologies.

billd766

You're right billd766..

English Mass is held at 11.00 am and 5.30 pm on Sundays, and also 5.30 pm on Saturdays at Holy Redeemer Church

While 10.00 am English Mass on Sundays at Assumption Cathedral (opposite of Oriental Hotel)

Thank you all so much for the information. I found the Catheral thank you - and when I went to BTS Nana, I could not find any chuch there at all?

...BUT I did goto the Landmark Hotel and they gave me a brochure for the Holy Redeemer Church....I then decided to walk there and found that Soi Raumrudee starts right below BTS Ploen Chit (so please take note anyone wanting to goto this church :o

...however the Church must be a longway from the BTS station? I walked and walked and walked and didnt get there! Though I probably wasnt far from getting to it - but I had a mobile call which meant that I had to goto an urgent meeting with someone who had just arrived in BKK)....so I ASSUME that the Church must be almost at the end of the Soi? (A tip for any older person or somebody who struggles in the heat - I suggest that you do as suggested in an earlier message and take a taxi :D

Actually I hope that a few others will see this request and continue to add more descriptions and how to get to other catholic churches in Bangkok - as information is hard to get - even the website of the catholic church here in Thailand only tells you the history of the church in Thailand - but not where they are :D

Take care everyone and thanks for you kind help :D

Peter

...however the Church must be a longway from the BTS station? I walked and walked and walked and didnt get there! Though I probably wasnt far from getting to it - but I had a mobile call which meant that I had to goto an urgent meeting with someone who had just arrived in BKK)....so I ASSUME that the Church must be almost at the end of the Soi? (A tip for any older person or somebody who struggles in the heat - I suggest that you do as suggested in an earlier message and take a taxi :o

Actually I hope that a few others will see this request and continue to add more descriptions and how to get to other catholic churches in Bangkok - as information is hard to get - even the website of the catholic church here in Thailand only tells you the history of the church in Thailand - but not where they are  :D

Yes, Holy Redeemer Church (Wat Maha Thay in Thai) is at the corner of the L shaped Soi Ruamrudee, about 10 - 15 minutes walk from BTS Ploenchit station, and no more than 10 minutes walk from Wireless Road (Witthayu Rd.), the other end of the soi. You can take a soi motorcycle taxi from the BTS station to the church, which shouldn't cost you more than B10 (but negotiate the price first).

There are many catholic churches in Bangkok and at least one in every province in Thailand as I understand, but as far as I know, Holy Redeemer and Assumption Cathedral are the only catholic churches in Bangkok that hold mass in English.

If language isn't too important, I'd recommend Rosary church (Kalawa church) along the river next to the River City (north of River City). One of the oldest churches in Bangkok and very nice (picture below) :D

post-13351-1116851726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nordlys

It seems as though I was correct and if so try this.

Take the BTS from Asoke to Nana which is the next stop and get out towards the back of the train. With Pacific Place on your right side and an abandoned building on the left look straight across the open land and the church is in front of you some 200 metres away.

Look down and there is a small soi between the open ground and the abandoned building and if you go up there the church is either on your right side or you have to turn right and it is there.

I am sorry if it is not easy to understand my directions but I am in Pakistan and relying on my memory. Age plays tricks sometimes.

It seems as though I was correct and if so try this.

Take the BTS from Asoke to Nana which is the next stop and get out towards the back of the train. With Pacific Place on your right side and an abandoned building on the left look straight across the open land and the church is in front of you some 200 metres away.

Look down and there is a small soi between the open ground and the abandoned building and if you go up there the church is either on your right side or you have to turn right  and it is there.

I am sorry if it is not easy to understand my directions but I am in Pakistan and relying on my memory. Age plays tricks sometimes.

I think you're referring to Jai Smarn church in Sukhumvit soi 6, but it's probably not a Catholic church. My catholic wife has a booklet which lists all of the Catholic churches in Thailand and this church is not in the list.

It seems as though I was correct and if so try this...........easy to understand my directions but I am in Pakistan and relying on my memory. Age plays tricks sometimes.

I think you're referring to Jai Smarn church in Sukhumvit soi 6, but it's probably not a Catholic church. My catholic wife has a booklet which lists all of the Catholic churches in Thailand and this church is not in the list.

It is definitely NOT a Catholic church.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm going to be in Bangkok for this weekend, and would like to attend a Catholic Sunday mass in English.

Was pleased to find this very helpful forum.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what time the English masses are at Assumption Cathedral?

And I assume its quite near Oriental Hotel, and quite well know, so that it should not be any trouble to find?

I know this post might be a bit late notice... but do appreciate your advice!

many thanks!

Hi Celeste

I am fairly sure that the english service is at 10am. You can have the frontdesk at Oriental find out for you for sure.

I would let you know for sure - but I am in Singapore and Malaysia this week :o

I know the other Church mentioned - the Redeemer definitely has the 10am English service.

all the best - enjoy your trip :D

Peter

Hi,

I'm going to be in Bangkok for this weekend, and would like to attend a Catholic Sunday mass in English.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what time the English masses are at Assumption Cathedral?

And I assume its quite near Oriental Hotel, and quite well know, so that it should not be any trouble to find?

I know this post might be a bit late notice... but do appreciate your advice!

many thanks!

Hi,

Yes, English mass at Assumption is Sunday 10AM.

Assumption Cathedral is on the other side of the street from Oriental Hotel :o

Hi,

Yes, English mass at Assumption is Sunday 10AM.

Assumption Cathedral is on the other side of the street from Oriental Hotel :o

Thanks very much for the prompt reply! Look forward to it then! Looks like a beautiful place to worship. :D

• 3 years later...

Dear All

Our family is planning a trip to Bangkok this weekend (28/05/2009 - 31/05/2009). I would like to attend a Sunday mass at a Catholic church in Bangkok. I have heard that there is one church in Samsen (Church of the Immaculate Conception) that has mass in Vietnamese language. I wonder if there is anybody knows this? Please kindly advise the mass time if possible.

Looking forward to hearing good new from all of you

Thanks in advance

Kevin Tran