Should It Business Be More Profitable?

Hi,

IT business have become a good source of income for people in Thailand, but I think that there are more oppotunities in this areas that we can extend to earn more money in this service industry.

I think that it's time that many popular internet based company be charging money for advertisement and hiring more people to work with them. It's good to run a non-profit business, but given an unemployment and low wage situation in Thailand, it should be the time that we should help those in needs and raise their living standard.

As business growth, country also growth. I think that it's time that Thailand start competing with Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Korea.

Drunkenpandamaneuver

Hi,

IT business have become a good source of income for people in Thailand, but I think that there are more oppotunities in this areas that we can extend to earn more money in this service industry.

I think that it's time that many popular internet based company be charging money for advertisement and hiring more people to work with them. It's good to run a non-profit business, but given an unemployment and low wage situation in Thailand, it should be the time that we should help those in needs and raise their living standard.

Very noble. I agree that it would be nice to improve the standards of living for Thai people, but it would take a lot more than this. What else do you suggest?

As business growth, country also growth. I think that it's time that Thailand start competing with Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Korea.

Thailand is a long way from competing with these nations. Thailand would do well to start by competing with India and the Phillipines, who have excellent IT sectors. Unfortunately competing with them would be difficult because both countries have a higher command of english and similar low (or in some cases lower) standard of living.

Hello, I am new here and this is my first post.

I have worked in IT in Los Angeles for several years in support and management capacities. I have a broad working knowledge of audio/video and have produced professional DVDs for companies. I am also very proficient in a number of software programs. I can build computers from scratch and make them saleable. I can educate large classrooms of adults about computers and how they work. I am able to build webpages and host them. I also have contacts who can do any sort of back-end web work that is needed.

I have a friend who lives in Chang Mai and it is my intention to go there and to perhaps live there for a year or so. I understand I should apply for a multiple-entry visa, and so I will do that. As for vaccinations, which ones would be most wise? I have heard of fresh water schistosomiasis (sp?) is a problem and a few others. I want to be safe.

How difficult would it be for a very savvy, personable IT guy like myself to find work over there? I am buddhist myself so I would not have a difficulty assimilating with Thai culture, I think. I intend to do ten to twenty hours of charity work per week while I'm there and I intend to live cheap and simply, mostly travelling and meditating.

Any thoughts? My resume is good, and my last employer was Walt Disney. I don't have a degree, but my skills are good. I can communicate well and am able to make learning and work fun, as I understand is very important in this culture.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Chuck,

Keep in mind that if you are working in Thailand officially, you'll need a work permit.

Fortunately, you have a friend you will give you a job. He probably knows the ins and outs of this.

If you look for a job with a Thai employer, they will want to see transcripts, diplomas, in addition to passport, visa, and work permit (unless they help you get one).

Chuck, you almost assuredly will not assimilate into Thai culture.....and your buddhism (unless you learned it in Thailand or Sri Lanka) is probably not very much like what the Thai's have. For instance...do you meditate....most Thai's do not and in my experience (which is of course very limited) most Thais think that monks meditate and regular people do not. Don't worry, though, you can have a great time and make lots of Thai friends without assimilating......this is the main difference between Thai culture and Borg culture.

Edited by chownah

Very noble. I agree that it would be nice to improve the standards of living for Thai people, but it would take a lot more than this. What else do you suggest?

If we can earn enough money, we can build community center like library and recreation center. We can create educational programs for community and provide more job for people. This also helps people to find new idea for business and improve suburban areas.

Just because a person is of the same religion of even an off-shoot of the majority religion, does not mean that a person could easily adapt to another colture. All you have is something in common.

I breathe, you breathe.... we must be best of freinds.... Nope, it does not work that way.

I think that it's time that many popular internet based company be charging money for advertisement and hiring more people to work with them.

If you want to get it developed you need to create more value, not just raise the prices. They are as high as they can get, according to the supply and demand.

Hello, I am new here and this is my first post.

I have worked in IT in Los Angeles for several years in support and management capacities.  I have a broad working knowledge of audio/video and have produced professional DVDs for companies.  I am also very proficient in a number of software programs.  I can build computers from scratch and make them saleable.  I can educate large classrooms of adults about computers and how they work.  I am able to build webpages and host them.  I also have contacts who can do any sort of back-end web work that is needed.

I have a friend who lives in Chang Mai and it is my intention to go there and to perhaps live there for a year or so.  I understand I should apply for a multiple-entry visa, and so I will do that.  As for vaccinations, which ones would be most wise?  I have heard of fresh water schistosomiasis (sp?) is a problem and a few others.  I want to be safe.

How difficult would it be for a very savvy, personable IT guy like myself to find work over there?  I am buddhist myself so I would not have a difficulty assimilating with Thai culture, I think.  I intend to do ten to twenty hours of charity work per week while I'm there and I intend to live cheap and simply, mostly travelling and meditating.

Any thoughts?  My resume is good, and my last employer was Walt Disney.  I don't have a degree, but my skills are good.  I can communicate well and am able to make learning and work fun, as I understand is very important in this culture.

Thanks for any advice!

The Thai culture is profound, and very different from the western culture. It takes a lot more than practicing Buddhism to assimilate into it. One year here will probably not do it. Actually, you might disagree with many practices done here by Buddhists, especially the common belief and worship of ghosts, which is foreign to Buddhism.

You state that you want to spend up to 20 hours a week in charity work, mostly to travel and meditate and on top of that you want to have a job in IT? I guess you know IT jobs are demanding in terms of working hours and pressure, I am not sure how you plan to fit it all in.

Anyway, Good luck.

I think that it's time that many popular internet based company be charging money for advertisement and hiring more people to work with them.

If you want to get it developed you need to create more value, not just raise the prices. They are as high as they can get, according to the supply and demand.

Though I agree with the idea of adding more value into service, I believe that pricing can still be increase in some area. I have checked the price of advertisement for top web site like sanook.com and I think that it is still quite cheap for the site with many users on it. It's good to keep the price low, but if a top site do not start raising the price on ad service, it will be harder for webmaster from small size to earn enough money to improve the web site, or even have enough money just to survive. I think the value of IT in Thailand is being undervalued and there should still be someway that we should improve on it.

Though I agree with the idea of adding more value into service, I believe that pricing can still be increase in some area. I have checked the price of advertisement for top web site like sanook.com and I think that it is still quite cheap for the site with many users on it. It's good to keep the price low, but if a top site do not start raising the price on ad service, it will be harder for webmaster from small size to earn enough money to improve the web site, or even have enough money just to survive. I think the value of IT in Thailand is being undervalued and there should still be someway that we should improve on it.

The prices in Sanook.com are pretty high for me. 2,500 baht a month for 2 lines and a link. 3,500 for a longer description. Much more for a banner.