Thaksin Draws Comparison Between Abhisit And Hitler

webfact

Mr. Thaksin's comments that are now being twisted about may actually have a positive impact if only to encourage people to think about and perhaps read up on the subjects he referenced. There are a number of detailed forensic psychiatry and pathology papers about on Adolf. It might cause some people to reconsider their "liberal" views on the impact of child abuse, drug addiction and how mental illness is perceived. For the record, I disagree with the ignorant comparison as PM Abhisit is to the best of my knowledge not a child abuse survivor, nor addicted to morphine & amphetamines, nor does he have Parkinsons. However, Mr. Thaksin's comments do represent that too many people still do not understand the impact such things have on a society. The comments do provide an indication as to how mental illness is still perceived as something to be feared and connotes evil.

I had a sad laugh at the gay comments. Anyone that has had dealings with government officials will recognize that there is a latent prejudice against homosexuals in Thailand. On the surface, Thailand appears to be an open and accepting culture. However, there is still a fear, loathing and contempt for gay people. Mr. Thaksin's comments again only reflect a view held by a great many people. I have heard worse from health workers. The views are manifested daily in the way in which services are rationed and delivered. I am sure that those that do not want to read otherwise or that still subscribe to the view that Thailand is a gay paradise will descend on me like a pack of hungry hyenas, but Thais can and do discriminate against gays. It's just as bad for women, and often worse. women's health issues isn't my specialty, but the absence of directed services speaks volumes. The same goes for gay men's health care in the rural regions. The services are not a priority, because the client population is marginalized. The end result is that it costs Thailand big time.

In this particular case, there are some that would suggest Mr. Thaksin is carrying a grudge against a certain person who he may feel has not been helpful to his cause and whom he may feel influenced a father, but I am not willing to accept such a fanciful theory. I would suggest instead, that Mr. Thaksin shares the same ignorance as do alot of other people that should know better. Instead of assuming people conspired against him because they were gay, he should appreciate that they just maybe do not agree with his views.I note that some people condemning Mr. Thaksin's comment (and rightly so) are not that much better when they say, but the Reds have gays too, as if it is just as bad.

I don't know what the solution is to such rampant ignorance. Maybe have a hug a homo day or something, but I have a feeling my girlfriend would think I was being "European" for the day.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were in power and didn't achieve it? remember? his brother in-law was PM? forgetful are we?

Yes , if illegal to sell to foreign company that too ... of course

Ok fine . Yes executive and legislative overlaps in Thailand , it seems But then can a a law be retroactive in Thailand ? If yes you are right if not then you are wrong . They may not need him anyway , once they see he is too controversial

"They may not need him anyway , once they see he is too controversial".

I'll never agree with that, all of this is for the paymaster, nothing more and nothing less.

And when he get's back into the drivers seat (and nothing else will do), by whatever means (repeat and emphasize; by whatever means) then laws etc., past ministerial decisions, whatever, will be changed and reversed to whitewash his convicion and to pardon him etc etc., and to stop any further legal action against him and his family.

Don't think this is over-reaction. They will do it, you can have a guarantee.

There's already precedent. Thaksin in his era had no hesitation to organize for his family members to get promotions (in one case his relative went up by 5 ranks in one promotion). And also relevant, he wasn't embarrased at all by the small criticism, he couln't care less. I say small criticism because nobody was game to speak up, including the army personnel, the media, etc.

And if we have the likes of chalerm in positions of power he will also never hesitate to do similar things, again there's past precedent in how he got his thug sons, some with criminal records, to suddenly be in highly powerful ministerial positions which they were totally unqualified for.

Leopards don't change their spots!

Edited by scorecard

They were in power and didn't achieve it? remember? his brother in-law was PM? forgetful are we?

Yes , if illegal to sell to foreign company that too ... of course

Ok fine . Yes executive and legislative overlaps in Thailand , it seems But then can a a law be retroactive in Thailand ? If yes you are right if not then you are wrong . They may not need him anyway , once they see he is too controversial

"They may not need him anyway , once they see he is too controversial".

I'll never agree with that, all of this is for the paymaster, nothing more and nothing less.

And when he get's back into the drivers seat (and nothing else will do), by whatever means (repeat and emphasize; by whatever means) then laws etc., past ministerial decisions, whatever, will be changed and reversed to whitewash his convicion and to pardon him etc etc., and to stop any further legal action against him and his family.

Don't think this is over-reaction. They will do it, you can have a guarantee.

There's already precedent. Thaksin in his era had no hesitation to organize for his family members to get promotions (in one case his relative went up by 5 ranks in one promotion). And also relevant, he wasn't embarrased at all by the small criticism, he couln't care less. I say small criticism because nobody was game to speak up, including the army personnel, the media, etc.

And if we have the likes of chalerm in positions of power he will also never hesitate to do similar things, again there's past precedent in how he got his thug sons, some with criminal records, to suddenly be in highly powerful ministerial positions which they were totally unqualified for.

Leopards don't change their spots!

Mr. Thaksin's comments that are now being twisted about may actually have a positive impact if only to encourage people to think about and perhaps read up on the subjects he referenced. There are a number of detailed forensic psychiatry and pathology papers about on Adolf. It might cause some people to reconsider their "liberal" views on the impact of child abuse, drug addiction and how mental illness is perceived. For the record, I disagree with the ignorant comparison as PM Abhisit is to the best of my knowledge not a child abuse survivor, nor addicted to morphine & amphetamines, nor does he have Parkinsons. However, Mr. Thaksin's comments do represent that too many people still do not understand the impact such things have on a society. The comments do provide an indication as to how mental illness is still perceived as something to be feared and connotes evil.

I had a sad laugh at the gay comments. Anyone that has had dealings with government officials will recognize that there is a latent prejudice against homosexuals in Thailand. On the surface, Thailand appears to be an open and accepting culture. However, there is still a fear, loathing and contempt for gay people. Mr. Thaksin's comments again only reflect a view held by a great many people. I have heard worse from health workers. The views are manifested daily in the way in which services are rationed and delivered. I am sure that those that do not want to read otherwise or that still subscribe to the view that Thailand is a gay paradise will descend on me like a pack of hungry hyenas, but Thais can and do discriminate against gays. It's just as bad for women, and often worse. women's health issues isn't my specialty, but the absence of directed services speaks volumes. The same goes for gay men's health care in the rural regions. The services are not a priority, because the client population is marginalized. The end result is that it costs Thailand big time.

In this particular case, there are some that would suggest Mr. Thaksin is carrying a grudge against a certain person who he may feel has not been helpful to his cause and whom he may feel influenced a father, but I am not willing to accept such a fanciful theory. I would suggest instead, that Mr. Thaksin shares the same ignorance as do alot of other people that should know better. Instead of assuming people conspired against him because they were gay, he should appreciate that they just maybe do not agree with his views.I note that some people condemning Mr. Thaksin's comment (and rightly so) are not that much better when they say, but the Reds have gays too, as if it is just as bad.

I don't know what the solution is to such rampant ignorance. Maybe have a hug a homo day or something, but I have a feeling my girlfriend would think I was being "European" for the day.

So logic dictates that if the red shirts aren't appalled by or renounce what Mr. Thaksin said, that would mean they approve of gay bashing then. I mean, if any of the red shirts had any decency left it's time they let go of Thaksin otherwise how can they claim to champion for democracy when they have their own prejudices? They should realize that a substantial portion of people in Thailand are gay/lesbian/3rd sex and you can hardly win their sympathies if their leader acts like that.

So logic dictates that if the red shirts aren't appalled by or renounce what Mr. Thaksin said, that would mean they approve of gay bashing then. I mean, if any of the red shirts had any decency left it's time they let go of Thaksin otherwise how can they claim to champion for democracy when they have their own prejudices? They should realize that a substantial portion of people in Thailand are gay/lesbian/3rd sex and you can hardly win their sympathies if their leader acts like that.

Some of the reds have a reputation for gay bashing and hatred for those they perceive as different, Chiang Mai 51 comes to mind. Like father, like son.

^But did Khun T actually say these things or is this more rubbish spin. Apart from TAN, no other media source have posted that he even said such a thing which I find a bit hard to believe if he indeed said those things.

Edited by britmaveric

^But did Khun T actually say these things or is this more rubbish spin. Apart from TAN, no other media source have posted that he even said such a thing which I find a bit hard to believe if he indeed said those things.

steveromagnino posted an video link somewhere on the forum today. BKK Post has also made reference to it.

Edited by frodo

How can you really call him khunt without a :) on your face?

Or maybe you have :D

I agree with you tho' he is.

Demonizing gays for political purposes is a time honored tactic of both the extreme right and extreme left. It is bizarre that Thaksin and the reds are going this route while at the same time labeling Abhisit as Hitlerian. I am afraid the educational reform program for Thailand needs to start in Dubai; not too surprising as Thaksin went a D grade school in Texas. Thaksin - demagogue of an extreme kind.

Gays in Thailand have known for quite some time that the red shirts are an anti-gay hate group, witness their disgusting anti-gay, anti-democratic actions in Chiang Mai. They may be for class warfare (a la Castro's Cuba) but they most certainly are not pro democratic. Westerners who can swallow this red blood movement, you really should know better.

Edited by Jingthing

Cheers for the link frodo, well looks as if he offended gays, but certainly never mentioned Hitler. Anyways personally if you have nothing good to say about someone then you should just keep your gob shut.

You're welcome, Brit.

There is a story in the Post (I can't post it here) that is stating that Abhisit is in the process of suing both Thaksin and the red leaders. Thaksin, due to remarks made comparing him to Hitler. The red leaders for playing, yet again, a doctored tape that maliciously defames the PM.

Gays in Thailand have known for quite some time that the red shirts are an anti-gay hate group, witness their disgusting anti-gay, anti-democratic actions in Chiang Mai. They may be for class warfare (a la Castro's Cuba) but they most certainly are not pro democratic. Westerners who can swallow this red blood movement, you really should know better.

Don't agree with suing someone over defamation - that's how Khun T got himself in trouble suing everyone he disagreed with. Public figures are always targets - just need to have a thick skin at the end of the day.

Seriously brit, you cannot see the difference between suing someone to intimidate then to stop telling the truth and suing someone for telling defamatory lies? You could not possibly be this dense, surely.

Remember this (among many others). he has since been found guilty of the charges they leveled:

http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=8406

Edited by lannarebirth

Hitler ?

Next demo in Bangkok .

BLACK SHIRTS

:)

Not black, they wear Brown

Black Shirt referring to the SS, brown are SA.

SS basically was introduced because they thought the SA was untrustworthy with the responsibility of protecting hitler.

BTW i dont under stand the part when he says "Hitler doesn't like to talk alone"

if he means talking to himself, no one does that anymore-talking to yourself sounds like a symptom of schizophrenia-therefore not talking to your self if kinda normal

and if he means talking in front of a crowd without moral support then Hitler certainly didn't have that problem- just look at the Nuremberg rally

Back to common sense...

much of the protest is not about Thaksin nor about a lot of the other nonsense (I am against blood protests and any correlation of Abhisit to Hitler OR Mother Theresa!).

Many are angry about the lack of mandate of this government - they are not Thaksin apologists nor particularly red shirted loonies – let's not lose any semblance of why many are frustrated in all the gleeful 'noise' about the ex-PMs state of mind. Most people think he was good and bad - no one thinks he's a saint and he may well be on the way out - but all this blood-lettting (forgive the pun) leave a little bad taste in my mouth as it's not about black versus white, good guys versus bad, good versus evil.

The current governement is legal under the thai constitution following some illegals acts though .

In Sept 06 Thaksin was deposed by a military coup , he was also the legal PM of THailand

appointed by HM the King of Thailand ,as a caretaker PM may be , but still legally the PM .

The manner of his removal by a military coup was totally illegal

After 2006 with Thaksin in exile , another governement favorable to Thaksin was removed by a thai court

under pressure of the yellow shirt blocking the airport (,another illegal move)

Thaksin won two elections and he still has a significant following among the thai rural

population whether one likes it or not

In view of what has happened the red shirts can really be forgiven for thinking that everytime their

candidate or supporting party comes to power somehow that candidate or that party is persecuted

until the opposite side is put in charge . And also forgiven for beeing frustrated about it .

Anybody would in their place ....

What they want overwelmingly is more democracy , so that the people has a say .

Thaksin happen to be their champion but it could be Winston Churchill

or Martin Luther King . i dont think it is so much a question of person as a question of principle

but yes Thaksin so happen to be their leader (the other two are dead anyway)

Yes Thaksin is a politician not a whiteknight in his armor . He has done some illegal things , part of his money has been

confiscated but it would be plain wrong to think that what motivates the red shirts is the return of that vast money to

Thaksin . I dont see how Thaksin could revert a decision by the supreme court of Thailand , even if he was

elected PM unless the thai constitution need some overhaul . I also dont see how he can become PM anyway

if he has been convicted by a court of wrong-doing .

I think what the rurals should do is find a good leader even if Thaksin remains their spiritual leader , win election

if they can , and this is valid for both reds and yellow be mature enough to concede defeat if the other party wins , rather then

try to sabotage the party that won , else democracy can not work . The army should also accept that they

are subordinated to the civil governement .

Thank you

Are you really saying the court remove the PPP because of pressure from PAD? At the time I was thinking how stupid the PAD was to escalate beyond the govt. house protest; they should have waited for the court action

Actually anyone seen this reported elsewhere, other than TAN? I am beginning to think this was more a BS story.

Dear Brit

Obviously due to the stupidity of it, I don't know where else it is, but the full broadcast phone in (which has not been protested against by the rather litigious Thaksin, so we should presume it is undoctored) is here.

http://www.manager.co.th/Politics/ViewNews...D=9530000037207

It's a video.

I am not sure how much time you have spent around Thaksin, but it certainly sounds like him to me.

My red shirt friend confirmed that this is what was said.

I have a short tolerance for listening to any politician, especially a rambler, but anyhow, if you jump to 9.00 approx - the main points

Abhisit's father raised abhisit to be PM

Abhisit is a grew up overseas, he studied quite well but not as well as his dad

However, in trying to become a good englishman, he has no Thai-ness

When he meets an elder he doesn't know how to wai

From listening to him give orders

sing my past knowledge and experience

I think Abhisit is unwell

definitely sick (BIG CHEER)

because he grew up in england

and he tries to be a good englishman

he claims to be a buddhist

but his understanding of buddhism

when he speaks it simply isn't there

he doesn't know anything about religion

So if Abhisit doesn't know anything about religion, then we look to his advisors

They need to know about religion

And Abhisit's advisors, are gay only (mee tae see muang tao nun) (BIG CHEER FROM THE CROWD)

And gays have inability to control their emotions

Definitely cannot control their emotions

If you can handle watching more than this then you are stronger than me.

Basically, i don't strongly disagree with the translation; he is clearly insulting gays by pointing this out, he is clearly saying they cannot be relied on to do a good job. What is most troubling is given the large amount of prostitution and family problems in the north and northeast yet generally a spirit of acceptance, and the large numbers of homosexuals, that people would cheer that apparently having gay advisors the sort of thing a 7 year old would say, is so laughable.

I have another 3 videos which i think are clips of this hosted somewhere else; I don't really have the time or energy to bother listening or translating more; this is proof enough that the TAN version is fine.

Unless you want to accuse ASTV of doctoring the clip; usually red shirts need about 2 weeks to figure that one out, then the story always dies once someone pulls independent versions of the same thing. Can I presume we don't need to go down that path?

I watched the whole vid.. hard to listen to all the BS he is putting out there

the last part is talking about how the super rich should give the poor a chance... saying the yellows are the representation of the super rich

but isn't he also part of the super rich (if 76 billion baht isnt rich then i dont know what is...even the 30 bil. he has left is enough for me to last my lifetime with out having to work, maybe even go to my children and grandchildren when and if i have any) :) -first yellow card

He also says the democracy in Thailand sucks and the government should change it, and i was wondering why he didn't change it in the 5 years he was in office. :D -second yellow card

does he even know the meaning of a democracy???- parliamentary government is a form of democracy and the people that are part of this government just got the most seats in the parliament-due to a coalition therefore they could form the gov't therefore he cannot say that this government did not come from the people because it did, the numbers just changed cuz of election fraud. :D and out he goes:)

I'm genuinely interested to know geriatrickid - as someone who has long stood up on this forum to defend Thaksin from attack, do you unequivocally deplore his words and if so, has it changed your opinion of him at all?

Check the Twitter feeds giving a real time translation of his speech that day. Here's a link quoting a few but you may need to drill down a bit further for the real-time translations.

Comparisons of Abhisit to Hitler were made, which really shouldn't be surprising as it's a frequent theme in the red shirt rags, as covered by 2Bangkok.