Car Prices

I would say if you are going to buy used, your best bet for a good deal is something a year / 18 months old. In this period the value can drop anywhere between 10 - 20 % (i'm talking about the mainstream makes btw). After the first year, depreciation might drop to as little as 5% per year.

Here a mechanic will happily work on it for a day for 500 baht.

Very true... cannot work out there pricing or how they make any money...

Last week the mechanic at the garage in the next Village [Husband mechanic + wife office billing etc + one full time mechanic] came to my house, took the car away for repair, he repaired and came back to my house with the car on Wednesday.. 2 days ago.

I know for a fact he went to 3 different salvage yards, nearest is 8km each way, furthest he went to is 22km, friend of a friend could fix refurbish the part in BKK, so the mechanic went or sent it last Friday to BKK 50km each way [the refurbished part I paid for direct via ATM] the mechanic went or had it sent back on Monday evening, he refitted it to my car, added the Hydraulic fluid tested it........ Total cost 650 baht..!!

Steering pump fault on my Audi A6.

Just over a year ago he did the wheel alignments as he has a machine, was there 1 hr, cost 100 baht. Every 5,000km oil and filter change 100 baht, I take the new filter + oil.... Also last year the rear window would not go up, he took the motor out was fine, wire had come off, No charge I gave him 50 baht

I'm from the Uk and I don't even know what the cap system is!

40k on the clock? You said it had 160k on it? You should have sold it privately for 250 pounds.

Its a system the Trade use to value cars, you imput the make/model and milage and it gives you a price, it also gives you other prices depending on milage, hence the value at 160 and 40.

First of all:

Finance companies controlles mosthly the newer used car prices. If a car is on a outstanding finace for 400'k, the dealer will put arround 430'k on the price tag. So he can't really sale cheaper, otherwise he loses on his comission, wich is 30'k, because 400'k he has to pay the finance company. So if a customer want bargain the price, he better let him go and try to wait, until someone else buy the car The dealer actually has nothing to lose and he want make his comission.

Second:

The maintenace and parts for a, let's say 1994 Toyota Corolla, cost almost nothing. Car like this no need fully insurance (there they safe the money). Road tax on a 10 year car cost only 50%. So peaple who not have mouch money are willing to buy used cars, specially the japanese brands.

For example: in 1998 i paid for a 1994 model used 3 door Honda Civic, automatic 250'000 Baht

today the same car still cost arround 200'000 Baht, but the car is 12 year older. Similar with the 3 door Suzuki Vitara. Since 12 year the same value of 240'000 Baht for a 1993 model. But those cars are very cheap on maintenance and parts

Third: There is not a wide choice of used cars in Thailand. So for example some car are almost impossible to find. A new Dodge Challenger RT is 6,9 Million Baht, but there are only 2 for sale in Thailand, because the import tax is already 300% on a car like this. That's way the price is high. And if there is a second hand to find in 2 years from now, it will be 5.5 Million, because it will be the only one availavle in this time. Choices of such kind of used cars are very narrow.

Fourth: Labour is so cheap, that almost every car can be compleately restored for 100'000 Baht. You can buy a old American Car or a old Merc and make it like brand new. Cars like this are very rare and sellers know this. Therefore the old American Car or the old Merc isn't cheap in Thailand, in comprare the western hemisphaere.

But if you have the right mecanic, owning a car in Thailand is much cheaper as in our home countries, once the car is bought.

BTW many countries like Sweden, Danemark or specially Paraguay & Urugay have higher used car prices than Thailand. That's way you are still beable to find a Ford T as a daily cruiser in Punta del Este. Saw for example 1985 BMW 520 for over 10'000 USD there.

Edited by stingray

I would say if you are going to buy used, your best bet for a good deal is something a year / 18 months old. In this period the value can drop anywhere between 10 - 20 % (i'm talking about the mainstream makes btw). After the first year, depreciation might drop to as little as 5% per year.

Also when buying new, its best to buy the car early in its lifecycle. The price drops significantly when the new generation emerges. I bought my civic mid cycle, so took a bit of a hit when the 8th generation came about. A 2006 1.8 is at least 100K more than my 2004 (and 2005) 2.0, for example.

Also when buying new, its best to buy the car early in its lifecycle. The price drops significantly when the new generation emerges. I bought my civic mid cycle, so took a bit of a hit when the 8th generation came about. A 2006 1.8 is at least 100K more than my 2004 (and 2005) 2.0, for example.

Very good point. Life cycle of a car these days is usually not much more than 6 years. If it's anywhere close to that age, like for example the current Civic, i would be very hesitant to buy new.

Very good point. Life cycle of a car these days is usually not much more than 6 years. If it's anywhere close to that age, like for example the current Civic, i would be very hesitant to buy new.

Yes, that's absolutely correct, but why it's only 6 years? Because all new cars are built like crap. Why 30 year old cars still driving around? sometime in quite good condition. I better off with a 16 year old Corolla or a 30 year old Benz or Bemer than wwith a new "plastic car". Yes i spend more on petrol, but less on insurance, so during a year driving, it will be the same. The only thing is that my used car not lose much on value. And one more thing: Better old, but already paid!

Edited by stingray

Yes, that's absolutely correct, but why it's only 6 years? Because all new cars are built like crap. Why 30 year old cars still driving around? sometime in quite good condition. I better off with a 16 year old Corolla or a 30 year old Benz or Bemer than wwith a new "plastic car". Yes i spend more on petrol, but less on insurance, so during a year driving, it will be the same. The only thing is that my used car not lose much on value.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that new cars only last 6 years. I was saying that new models only tend to last 6 years in the showroom before being replaced by a new generation model. I agree though that cars in general are not as solidly built as they were in the past, but then they are probably half the weight and that has its advantages.

And one more thing: Better old, but already paid!

Completely agree. Can't fathom why people are so keen to throw themselves into long finance plans that often cripple them. Couldn't believe when looking at the new Nissan March the other day they were offering it on a 7 year repayment plan! 7 years!!! My goodness me - a repayment plan for a car that outlives your pets has to be wrong!

Completely agree. Can't fathom why people are so keen to throw themselves into long finance plans that often cripple them. Couldn't believe when looking at the new Nissan March the other day they were offering it on a 7 year repayment plan! 7 years!!! My goodness me - a repayment plan for a car that outlives your pets has to be wrong!

What always amazes me is the amounts that have to be paid back in relation to the wages of the person. One of my wife's staff is on about 10k baht a month and has 7k baht a month repayments over 5 years on a pick up.

I agree though that cars in general are not as solidly built as they were in the past, but then they are probably half the weight and that has its advantages.

I thought recently the new generation models are always more heavy than the older generation eg:

2010 Golf kerb weight: 1413 kg

2000 Golf kurb weight 1280 kg

1990 Golf kerb weight, 960 kg

1980 Golf kerb Weight 790 kg

I agree though that cars in general are not as solidly built as they were in the past, but then they are probably half the weight and that has its advantages.

I thought recently the new generation models are always more heavy than the older generation eg:

As with most models though, the Golf has grown a lot in size. A better comparison might be a 1980 Golf with a 2010 Polo. If the Polo is heavier then i stand corrected.

Fair point about the size, 2010 polo is 1184 kg so still abit heavier, I think most of this is due to all the saftey features like door bars, airbags, abs systems that they just did not fit 20 years ago.

That said I had a 2004 model Jazz for a while last time I was in Thailand for longer than a holiday and that did not have airbags or ABS so you could be correct about cars is Thailand.

As with most models though, the Golf has grown a lot in size. A better comparison might be a 1980 Golf with a 2010 Polo. If the Polo is heavier then i stand corrected.

Oh Gott, a Golf is now 1413 kg? Didn't realise that, but suprises me, because my 1982 Olsmobile is 1590 kg (only), with a V8 inside.

Yeah, I've been here over 10 years, and have bought and sold quite a few cars. But..., I still don't get the economics of this situation.

With the vast numbers of new cars pouring onto the streets through easy credit or whatever, and the even easier credit market for used cars, though at higher interest rates, I still don't get why these huge absolute numbers of cars on the road don't drive prices down of the used cars???? I mean, there are lots and lots of vehicles coming on road and shouldn't this drive down used car prices in any other economy?

It really defies economic theory, but then again, so do all things about supply and demand in Thailand. :)

Yeah, I've been here over 10 years, and have bought and sold quite a few cars. But..., I still don't get the economics of this situation.

With the vast numbers of new cars pouring onto the streets through easy credit or whatever, and the even easier credit market for used cars, though at higher interest rates, I still don't get why these huge absolute numbers of cars on the road don't drive prices down of the used cars???? I mean, there are lots and lots of vehicles coming on road and shouldn't this drive down used car prices in any other economy?

It really defies economic theory, but then again, so do all things about supply and demand in Thailand. :)

500.000 new cars/pickups a year on a population of 64 million people. In my homecountry its 200.000 new cars a year on 8 mill people. Makes secondhand value 50% in 3 years. Here its 70% in 3 years. Supply and demand, as we learned in school.

With minimumsalary on 5-6k baht a month, and a large % of population on such salary, its gonna take decade(s) before demand is met. Good upside for the auto industry :D as in China and India and................

Edited by katabeachbum

Yes, that's absolutely correct, but why it's only 6 years? Because all new cars are built like crap. Why 30 year old cars still driving around? sometime in quite good condition. I better off with a 16 year old Corolla or a 30 year old Benz or Bemer than wwith a new "plastic car". Yes i spend more on petrol, but less on insurance, so during a year driving, it will be the same. The only thing is that my used car not lose much on value. And one more thing: Better old, but already paid!

You remind me of that old rear window sticker:

'This car may be old, but it's ahead of you AND it's paid for!'

As always I find myself agreeing with you, Sting.

Our classic (bought for 65,000 then full body resto for 100,000) is now worth at least 250,000 if you believe asking prices for comparable stuff.

Our day-to-day 1999 3 door Vitara was bought 4 years ago for 250,000 and is now valued by a Thai printed guide at 300,000. (I WILL try to find the name of this Thai price guide, other poster!). We love 'em both.

For older Americana, by the way, including a 50's 2 door Chevy and a (possibly) authentic WW2 Jeep, look at the latest offerings on www.autonostalgia.info

Oh Gott, a Golf is now 1413 kg? Didn't realise that, but suprises me, because my 1982 Olsmobile is 1590 kg (only), with a V8 inside.

Yeah i was shocked too at those figures for the Golf. I guess it may be a misconception about the weight of old cars versus new that has to do with old cars feeling heavy - i mean they sure did have heavy steering, heavy brakes, heavy clutches. Everything in a new car these days has a light feel.