Thai Red Shirts Lap Up Urban Support

webfact

BANGKOK PROCESSION

Red shirts lap up urban support

By PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK

THE NATION

Many in working- and lower-middle classes back movement

BANGKOK: -- The massive 20-kilometre-long red-shirt motorcade around Bangkok Saturday proved beyond doubt that many working-class and lower-middle-class people in the capital support the red shirts, as they came out in force to wildly cheer the caravan as if their liberators had arrived.

Police estimate 65,000 red shirts took part in the procession with 10,000 motorcycles and 7,000 other vehicles, mostly pickups and lorries, involved. The real numbers are hard to estimate, however.

The seemingly endless motorcade left the protest site at 10am and made its way through major streets such as New Phetchaburi, Ratchadaphisek, Lat Phrao, Ramkhamhaeng and Rama IV.

In the Pratunam area, just in front of Platinum Fashion Mall, at least 200 people along the streets and pedestrians on the overpass ecstatically cheered the red procession as it marched on for more than five hours until 3.45pm.

The whole atmosphere resembled a carnival or fiesta. Many bystanders went onto the streets to interact more closely with those in the procession. The caravan rolled on at what could be considered brisk walking pace.

Many of those cheering the red shirts donned red or had something red on them, such as a handkerchief or a headband. They jumped, danced, waved and shook their foot clappers.

They also handed out bottled water to members of arguably the longest political caravan in Thai history.

A clear majority of those waving and cheering were working-class and lower-middle-class people, highlighting the growing disquiet over class inequality among the poor as well as indicating class solidarity.

A clear majority of the sympathisers appeared to be street vendors, clerks, waitresses, hotel cooks, security guards, taxi drivers, motorcycle-taxi riders, and local residents coming from the more congested and poorer parts of Bangkok.

Some shouted: "Abhisit [Vejjajiva, prime minister] get out!" Others shook hands and patted the shoulders of red-shirt protesters who passed by.

Looking cheerful and confident, they seemed to have the belief that they would eventually prevail. Car-honking and loud anti-Abhisit and anti-old-elite slogans were heard along the route.

At a restaurant at the Lat Phrao-Ratchadaphisek intersection, one middle-class customer, who is not a red-shirt supporter, told The Nation: "These days people simply say they want to see either a quick victory or defeat. They're tired of it."

Some hostile reception was reported in areas such as Onnuj and Klong Tan with a bottle thrown at Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship co-leader Natthawut Saikua missing its target in the Klong Tan area.

Many of those who opposed the march, which paralysed much of Bangkok's traffic, kept off the streets and posted their dismayed feelings online.

"Why don't they shut their own province down? People are fed up," read one such posting on prachatai.com online newspaper.

Some subway gates were temporarily shut yesterday from 10.40am, leaving those who were trapped agitated.

"You are just creating an image that these people are violent and cruel!" one woman commuter reprimanded a subway staff member at Exit 1 of Phra Ram 9 station. "They don't even carry weapons."

A man in his mid-fifties was furious, as he could not exit from the gate. "This kind of stupidity will only earn more sympathisers for the reds ...

This country has gone nuts! If you're to shut the gate why don't you shut down the whole subway as well so I won't have to use it."

Krishna Sajjadej, a subway staff member, apologised to the 30 or so stranded commuters, who were not easily appeased.

In the afternoon, at a petrol station near the Lat Phrao-Ratchadaphisek intersection, two red shirts speculated as to why Abhisit would not resign or dissolve the House.

One said it was because the military and the elites who controlled him had told the premier not to do so.

"But we shall eventually oust him," said a middle-aged red shirt.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like the managers of the MRTA are pro-Abhisit.

I can also confirm plenty of supporters out in Ramkhamhaeng.

Last week at Pratunam there were plenty of people cheering and clapping. It's difficult to know if they have majority support but this is a very significant movement. It's really about money, when you consider Thailand is actually quite a wealth country, the amount spent on the population is derisory.

A brilliant move on the part of the Red Shirts. I am sure this is quite unsettling for the elites. In my neighborhood, which is predominantly yellow--or so the inhabitants thought--the maids, gardeners, vendors, motorcycle taxi drivers and others were noticeably absent. How sad to see the neighbor having to open her own gate!

Last week at Pratunam there were plenty of people cheering and clapping. It's difficult to know if they have majority support but this is a very significant movement. It's really about money, when you consider Thailand is actually quite a wealth country, the amount spent on the population is derisory.

I dont see how Abhisit can defuse the tension unless he includes some moderate red shirt leaders or pro red shirts politicians in his cabinet !

And he does it fast . Can he ?

As you know Thai people luv party. Many people joint them for party atmosphere and was not support as much as for fun. As far ideology, they are still against both Red and Yellow because they don’t really care. They just want to get on with their lives

An interesting outcome to the procession.

I am also amazed that the Nation printed the headline. Obviously the Sunday editor will need a little re-education on Monday morning. Seeing that there is also an element of support in Bangkok goes to start showing that this is not entirely a rural movement.

I would suggest that the reds play on this issue for all its worth. Red flowers dropped around the city by pedestrians?

I dont see how Abhisit can defuse the tension unless he includes some moderate red shirt leaders or pro red shirts politicians in his cabinet !

Funny. I thought the red apologists considered the Nation to always tell a pack of lies. Fancy That!

So, now we are down from 1 million to 65,000.

Less than attend a Manchester United football match.

As you know Thai people luv party. Many people joint them for party atmosphere and was not support as much as for fun. As far ideology, they are still against both Red and Yellow because they don't really care. They just want to get on with their lives

Lol. Well that is true, Thai people love partying!! I can see how people just saw this as a one of a kind Thai mardi gras!!

I must say this is a bit of a crock

Yes they do have support in Bangkok from a few but that is it.

Because they are being peaceful and non violent,

yesterdays procession was more like a parade than

a rolling protest. Lets face it, everyone likes a parade

We were down in Chinatown yesterday afternoon and was in

a little back alley when we heard the honks and hoopla. Yes, we

quickly made are way to see what the to-do was. It was the

parade winding thru Chinatown. Yes, we stood and watched as

they rolled by, as did many many others.

But does that mean I support the red shorts, NO it does not,

it only means I love a parade.

In the Pratunam area, just in front of Platinum Fashion Mall, at least 200 people along the streets and pedestrians on the overpass ecstatically cheered the red procession as it marched on for more than five hours until 3.45pm

What an amazing statement ...... 200 people in Pratunam (one of the highest population densities in the city) supporting the reds now consititutes them coming out in "force" to show support! LOL

I must say this is a bit of a crock

Yes they do have support in Bangkok from a few but that is it.

Because they are being peaceful and non violent,

yesterdays procession was more like a parade than

a rolling protest. Lets face it, everyone likes a parade

We were down in Chinatown yesterday afternoon and was in

a little back alley when we heard the honks and hoopla. Yes, we

quickly made are way to see what the to-do was. It was the

parade winding thru Chinatown. Yes, we stood and watched as

they rolled by, as did many many others.

But does that mean I support the red shorts, NO it does not,

it only means I love a parade.

Excactly my thoughts.When I was a child I also enjoyed to join every football or carnival parade as it was much fun.Most of the time I even didn't know what it was about.

I am also amazed that the Nation printed the headline. Obviously the Sunday editor will need a little re-education on Monday morning. Seeing that there is also an element of support in Bangkok goes to start showing that this is not entirely a rural movement.

LOL. Right, but it's positive that even The Nation cannot avoid some things anymore.

I would suggest that the reds play on this issue for all its worth. Red flowers dropped around the city by pedestrians?

They already do that. Can't find a picture right now though. Posting another batch or rally pics instead:

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/rajdumnern/topi...0/P9016480.html

http://picasaweb.google.co.th/RedInTheLandBkk/udqjHC#

http://www.prachataiwebboard.com/webboard/id/30875

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The massive 20-kilometre-long red-shirt motorcade around Bangkok Saturday proved beyond doubt that many working-class and lower-middle-class people in the capital support the red shirts, as they came out in force to wildly cheer the caravan as if their liberators had arrived.

Really? I was in taxis traveling in Thonburi and Bangrak most of yesterday. Red-shirt vehicles were kept in constant motion throughout the city to create the impression that large numbers of red-shirts were everywhere simultaneously. The people "wildly cheering" were red-shirts who had been pre-positioned at the major intersections through which the caravans were passing. At 4:30 PM on Sathorn and Surasak, you could see groups of red-shirts being deployed in advance to greet the caravan when it crossed the Taksin bridge. Aside from these staged groups of supporters, I saw nothing to indicate that Bangkok residents were "out in force" -- in fact, the impression I got was exactly the opposite. Driving along kilometers of the caravan routes, I saw very few local residents paying any attention to the red-shirts at all.

All in all, a very well orchestrated facade.

In the Pratunam area, just in front of Platinum Fashion Mall, at least 200 people along the streets and pedestrians on the overpass ecstatically cheered the red procession as it marched on for more than five hours until 3.45pm

What an amazing statement ...... 200 people in Pratunam (one of the highest population densities in the city) supporting the reds now consititutes them coming out in "force" to show support! LOL

Posted some links above; you tell me. The positives I'm taking are primarily:

- It's all peaceful and in good spirit

- Authorities are allowing it to go on; people like Suthep went pretty quiet recently.

- People apparenlty don't feel intimidated to show support.

The usual suspects now seem to be complaining about numbers not being massive or stifling enough, and they seem genuinely miffed that there's no violence.. i.e. complaining that it ISNT the disaster they were predicting before?? Complaining that supporters aren't 'truly' middle class but adjust to 'lower' middle class.. :)

So really it's all good.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think the article has nailed it with "lower middle" - after our petrol experience yesterday my wife concluded the supporters appeared to people who hadn't obtained a degree (of course there'll be exceptions).

Speaking of which, this movement is lacking in an area of support every other political movement seems to have featured which has lead to political upheaval - widespread support from the students. Will be interesting to see if they achieve it without them.

Disclaimer: I do not care about Thai politics, I do not take sides, and I think it would be unwise to do so as a foreigner. I do keep myself informed as much as I can without going into the extreme....

One thing is for sure, there are far more Red shirts on the streets now than there were Yellows at any time. With the sheer number of people moving through Bangkok there will naturally be pro's and con's for all sides. Personally I was seriously inconvenienced as I was not able to go where I needed while the Reds were passing on Petchburi. It took them a good 5 hours to clear out. It was impressive by any stretch of the imagination. The atmosphere was more than friendly and approached carnival levels. Street support was decent with staff and workers from nearby establishments came out and cheered. I would venture to guess that business owners didn't cheer, but their staff sure did. These "street side supporters" seemed genuinely happy to see the Red's marching through and the enthusiasm didn't fade for many hours.

I have added a few images to try to illustrate the overall "feeling" on the streets.

9bYLHs.jpg

Bigger: http://imgur.com/9bYLH.jpg

meqZbs.jpg

Bigger: http://imgur.com/meqZb.jpg

ZWMNxs.jpg

Bigger: http://imgur.com/ZWMNx.jpg

W5GdRs.jpg

Bigger: http://imgur.com/W5GdR.jpg

ZrZz3s.jpg

Bigger: http://imgur.com/ZrZz3.jpg

What i saw on the Thai tv news (channel 1 on terrestrial) was normal bangkok residents holding signs telling reds to get out, also lots of fist waving, shouting, throwing water bottles.

If those cheering red motorcade are also waering red, sounds like they are red shits claping thier own procession.

sure plenty of labours, waitresses, gardeners etc might support red shirts because thats where they mostly come from in the first place/ have familly back there. No suprise really

Funny. I thought the red apologists considered the Nation to always tell a pack of lies. Fancy That!

So, now we are down from 1 million to 65,000.

Less than attend a Manchester United football match.

I thought police estimate was only 30,000

I also saw a lot of motorbike taxi, looking form my Condo, looked like they were paid to march with the rest of the mob

Really? I was in taxis traveling in Thonburi and Bangrak most of yesterday. Red-shirt vehicles were kept in constant motion throughout the city to create the impression that large numbers of red-shirts were everywhere simultaneously. The people "wildly cheering" were red-shirts who had been pre-positioned at the major intersections through which the caravans were passing.

Many of the paid people were told to not wear red, and to stand and cheer. Anyone given a Thai flag to wave was also given a couple hundred Baht to stand there for the length of the parade. And many reds set up beforehand, as mentioned above.....

Well done Reds - did an excellent job. Just shows the level of purchased support they have in Bangkok - about as much as some people on TV think.

Obviously they have support that is not purchased. Clearly some of their supporters are skint. Nevertheless, the kind of money they were paying is double or triple the typical daily wage of your average Thai. So in the end we'll never know how many were paid and how much. We won't know how many of those who were paid would have paid their own way if they could have. We won't know how many only attended because they were paid. Too many things we'll never know, so it is really impossible to form a solid opinion about the strength of the movement and the rally. Kudos to all sides for keeping it peaceful.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

LOL. Right, but it's positive that even The Nation cannot avoid some things anymore.

They already do that. Can't find a picture right now though. Posting another batch or rally pics instead:

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/rajdumnern/topi...0/P9016480.html

http://picasaweb.google.co.th/RedInTheLandBkk/udqjHC#

http://www.prachataiwebboard.com/webboard/id/30875

I like the pictures

Especially the one that shows a nice converitble mercedes

with the english words "poor man"

Gets their point across loud and clear, lol

Posted some links above; you tell me. The positives I'm taking are primarily:

- It's all peaceful and in good spirit

- Authorities are allowing it to go on; people like Suthep went pretty quiet recently.

- People apparenlty don't feel intimidated to show support.

The usual suspects now seem to be complaining about numbers not being massive or stifling enough, and they seem genuinely miffed that there's no violence.. i.e. complaining that it ISNT the disaster they were predicting before?? Complaining that supporters aren't 'truly' middle class but adjust to 'lower' middle class.. :)

So really it's all good.

Authorities are allowing it to go on as they should. Peaceful demonstrations are part of democracy. The supporters don't appear to be "middle class" at all.

The question still holds ... 200= significant support? No --- were people along the way also jeering the reds? Yes ---

I do give the reds some credit, when water bottles were thrown at them at least they didn't react as they have in the past!

Now to continue with jayboy's assertions that people that are against the reds WANT violence is just nuts... Many of us still expect violence but I do not think than ANYONE wants trouble. Anyone other than Thaksin at least, and he needs it!

I'm cheering for the reds. I am disappointed that they seem to have so little support from the whites in Thailand online. Could it be that a large percentage want to see a largely disenfranchized majority of the population? It does help fill the brothels they rely on for affection and ensures an available workforce of domestic servants that work for peanuts.

I'm also disappointed by our Canadian political and media elite. Supposedly we are at war in Afghanistan because of our deep faith in democracy. If we in Canada have so much faith in democracy why are we so silent on behalf of the heroes that are trying to restore it to Thailand ?

I'm cheering for the reds. I am disappointed that they seem to have so little support from the whites in Thailand online. Could it be that a large percentage want to see a largely disenfranchized majority of the population? It does help fill the brothels they rely on for affection and ensures an available workforce of domestic servants that work for peanuts.

I'm also disappointed by our Canadian political and media elite. Supposedly we are at war in Afghanistan because of our deep faith in democracy. If we in Canada have so much faith in democracy why are we so silent on behalf of the heroes that are trying to restore it to Thailand ?

It isn't the reds who lack the support of TV posters. It is the red leadership and their stated goals of exonerating Thaksin that make it impossible to get behind a movement whose other goals are laudable.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Haha you really think if the Reds were in power there would be no more prostitution in LOS? You crack me up. Do you actually realize that this whole charade has one purpose and one purpose only? That is to get Thaksin back here to Thailand so he can get his money and power back. You also seem to forget how anti-foreigner and xenophobic Thaksin was (or is that something you would prefer not for people to remember?).

Edited by tominbkk

If the Reds really want to be seen as Pro Democracy, then they need to dump Thaksin and his cronies - when they show that they have real leaders who respect democracy - then they are a credible movement. At present, they still are Thaksin rentals.

Thai politics and society needs a good shake up, but it needs to be done with people who have a proper vision of an inclusive society.