My Mate Ran Over Someone When Drunk

kurnell

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with my mate who's uncle is a cop. He located my mate's driver's licence. The police were from a station close to the intersection of rama 4 and Sukuhumvit. The guy that got hit is not hurt. Well, not badly anyway and has asked for compansation in return for the driver's licence and no recriminations.

I must say I am surprised at the amount quoted.

To make it interesting I will give a bottle of red to the person who can get closest to the figure mentioned.

15,000 baht.

The important thing is whether he learns from it or not.

We all make mistakes and I once went driving when very drunk. I was lucky not to hurt anybody but still got into enough trouble to realise how stupid I had been.

I learned before it was too late, will the OP's friend do the same or just get pissed and drive home again tonight?

Latest is that he just admitted that he was texting, while driving (is that another crime?) and looked up just as a cop was flagging him down, but, apparently not enought time to swerve far enough out of the way to miss the officer. The bonnet (hood for yanks) is scratched and the wing mirror is knocked off. I hear that he has contacted a lawyer who has offered to talk to the police for a 50k retainer.

I was an American attorney and have some experience with Thai attorneys, and some of them are incredibly incompetent and dishonest. Many of them are former policemen and have friends within the police departments, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. 50K baht is nothing compared to what a retainer for a competent attorney would cost him in the west. He needs a Thai attorney but also needs to be careful to get a competent one, they are not regulated here as well as they are in Western countries. And yes, he would be much better off "finding" the police than letting the police "find" him.

I also find his story a little difficult to believe, if he had just run down a policeman and they chased him down, it seems highly unlikely even here that they would let him drive to follow them back, even here and especially drunk.

Edited by Bobr

Latest is that he just admitted that he was texting, while driving (is that another crime?) and looked up just as a cop was flagging him down, but, apparently not enought time to swerve far enough out of the way to miss the officer. The bonnet (hood for yanks) is scratched and the wing mirror is knocked off. I hear that he has contacted a lawyer who has offered to talk to the police for a 50k retainer.

I was an American attorney and have some experience with Thai attorneys, and some of them are incredibly incompetent and dishonest. Many of them are former policemen and have friends within the police departments, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. 50K baht is nothing compared to what a retainer for a competent attorney would cost him in the west. He needs a Thai attorney but also needs to be careful to get a competent one, they are not regulated here as well as they are in Western countries. And yes, he would be much better off "finding" the police than letting the police "find" him.

I also find his story a little difficult to believe, if he had just run down a policeman and they chased him down, it seems highly unlikely even here that they would let him drive to follow them back, even here and especially drunk.

The other part of the story that is hard to believe is while normally at night you find no cops at all,(unless it's a checkpoint) he manages to hit one and 3 more appear out of nowhere in time to chase him down.

The other part of the story that is hard to believe is while normally at night you find no cops at all,(unless it's a checkpoint) he manages to hit one and 3 more appear out of nowhere in time to chase him down.

Was thinking the same.

Anyway, shouldnt the cop accept it was down to bad karma that beset him, and get his ass to the wat?

Hard to believe eh? Yes, I'm making it all up. Sigh!

If anyone doubts that this story is true, then put your money where your mouth is and come along and when my mate pays to get his licence back. If you all chip in then he can get off without paying a bean.

***Lastest update is that the damaged officer has changed his mind about the fee he wants as compansation. Apprarently he is quite badly bruised and his clothes are torn. In fact I think that he has had a bit of a think about it, realised that my mate is keen to get his licence back and reckons (and is right) that he can ask for more. Originally he asked for 10k, now he wants 40k, so I guess we have a winner based on the original figure. So Canuckamuck come and collect your prize!!

If anyone doubts that this story is true, then put your money where your mouth is and come along and when my mate pays to get his licence back. If you all chip in then he can get off without paying a bean.

***Lastest update is that the damaged officer has changed his mind about the fee he wants as compansation. Apprarently he is quite badly bruised and his clothes are torn. In fact I think that he has had a bit of a think about it, realised that my mate is keen to get his licence back and reckons (and is right) that he can ask for more. Originally he asked for 10k, now he wants 40k, so I guess we have a winner based on the original figure. So Canuckamuck come and collect your prize!!

40K is still quite a cheap price.......Your "mate" is lucky to escape with such a low punishment for such a dumb act.....

Best your mate pays sharpish before it goes up again

:)

That damaged party is my BiL, I am calling him to make him ask for 500 000, we need to fence in the house at the village.

After all the the drunk is a mid level executive that loves to get pissed on a Monday night.

Need I remind him about a soft loan I gave him 10 years go? The fee might keep going skywards.

40 k seems cheap... But, the cop is obviously upping the ante... Time for your friend to step in and offer, his apology, his thanks, 20k and a bottle of whiskey before the cop pushes it up to 100k...

OR as I'm sure some others will say - 40k and get it over and done with - and LEARN A lesson !!!

Thing is,its already gone up 30,000 thb in a matter of hours,no money exchanged yet!if its anything like the thai customs expect that figure to double or even triple me thinks,

For Sure

Think we should have a final figure vote and make it a bottle of Champers

:)