Khaen - Mouth Organ - Reed Pipes Wanted

whiterussian

Do you want me to pick one up from Laos for you? I'm going there before Songkran.

Wow, thank you Yunnie, that very kind, but I need to figure out what they are all about first... I think I will want the deepest, biggest one I can find, I have no idea how much that would be! - I'm worried that as a farang, I or you will get charged a crazy price. So I think I may have to find out from some locals where I can source one... but thanks :D

Of course if they are insanely cheap... :)

I think my wife's family will get a kick out of hearing me play this at the next karaoke BBQ they have out in the village...

p.s: Sorry about not getting back to you about lodging in town, I will remind my wife to ask her friend for you tonight. She lodges exchange students so i really dont know what sort of prices she charges... If you like I can give you her number, and you can find a Thai friend to talk to her? - She may know of other nice Thai families wanting a lodger...

Edited by whiterussian

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun White Russian,

My human being is a harmonica player (chromatic as well as diatonic), and in the past has played bansuri (Indian bamboo flute), as well as western metal flute, with excellent breath control.

The problem with the Caenh's we've tried is that the finger holes are so tiny and closely spaced we couldn't really adapt our big human fingers to them.

We love the sound of the Caenh, and one of our favorite memories from our first stay in Thailand so long ago was somewhere on Sukhumvit in Bangkok about 11PM walking alone, when a blind Caenh payer came up led by a little boy. I gave the little boy twenty baht, and the Caenh player played for me something that was so beautiful that tears came to my eyes.

There is a school for traditional music somewhere here in Chiang Mai, although the Caenh is not really a northern Thai instrument. But, if you can locate that school, perhaps you can get a pointer to where a Caenh maker is who makes "pro" quality.

We'd love to have one, too, if we could get a custom-made one with larger finger spacing.

Our guess is you'd need to go to Issarn and find a Caenh master player or maker ... that could be fun.

best, ~o:37;

Are you going to be the next Jonny Olsen? o_O; But word of advice... dont pick up his hip thing. Its so distracting :D;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN93UdxyRFo

(I failed at embedding the video :D ) Thats an old video .... He has a bunch more, just to to the video list page.

Nah... dont worry about me getting ripped off. I can bargain better in Lao anyways. But if that didnt work... I could always send in my cousin. She's like a shark. Tiny and feisty! I've seen grown men afraid of her. Its funny. :)

But I guess only other thing would be for you to take a vacation down to Issan area and ask around.

Ahh dont worry about the housing thing. I'm gonna stay in the dorm for Now till mid May and I think I found a place from June - end of July. Just need to search around from Aug - mid Sept now. :D

I just need to figure out motorbike now... lol

Edited by Yunnie

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Orang37 and Yunnie,

Thank you both, for the advice, great to know about the traditional music place in CM, I will try and track it down!

No Yunnie, not looking to be the next Jonny Olsen! Haha! He's a funny one...

I collect musical instuments of a curious nature, and also hats... for when I have a home big enough for them to decorate the walls! They have to of course come from places I have visited...

Funny thing happened, played the issan tunes to my better half, who came up with the idea of a trip to Laos over the next few weeks... so Yunnie... thank you, but it looks like I'm off there myself!! Never been, should be interesting!

Much obliged

Koon WR!