First Class Insurance For Honda Civic

insured value of car is important in calculating insurance price. Civic sells new from like 790 to 1,1 mill, so whats your cars value?

also important is what kind of repair and in what garage? Honda repair is more than 50% more expensive than somchai plastering

For Accord 2,4 insured at 1.250.000 baht to be repaired by Honda with original parts I payed 29k baht

For pickup 4x4 insured at 760k I payed 22.000 baht to be repaired by Toyota with original parts.

Both insurancecompanies have credit for repair at major maindealers, which the cheap companies often do not have

None of thes cars carry any bonus/prior no claim discount, and both accept any driver

Edited by katabeachbum

I have a 2009 Civic 2.0 and 90% cost of car coverage rather then the standard 80% but with me as the only driver. This is 22,000 Baht/year - about 28,000 Baht/year if covers any driver. The larger (2.0) engine pushes the premiums up as does electing 90% coverage.

Try contacting QBE for a quote - last year when I re-insured the wife's Yaris I was quoted from ~15,000 (Tanachart) to ~19,000 (Viriyah), but QBE came in at just 12,200 Baht.

The wife had a claim with them not long after renewing, and the service was as good as it gets - they even gave us the option of choosing from 4 different repairers. The renewal for this year (after the claim) is 11,300 Baht :)

Email & phone numbers here: http://www.qbe.co.th/Personal/Motor/Insurance.html

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hm, it does seem we're paying too much. The car was around 930,000 in 2007 - the 1.8 top model, and my wife and me are named drivers. I know we have 3 years bonus but I can't remember how much the deductible is. Quite a bit if I remember right, will call my broker and ask tomorrow. Should it still be insured for 80/90% of that or is that value adjusted down every year? Shouldn't it cost the same going through a broker? I though their commission is paid by the insurance company.

If it's a standard Thai insurance contract the deductible will be zero, and the payout value for the vehicle will depreciate yearly.

Named drivers will save you a little money on the premium (at a risk of course - i.e. if a servicing mechanic etc crashes your car), but the big way to save on the insurance premium is be electing to have a deductible - usually a 5,000 Baht deductible is enough to get a substantial saving, higher/lower values don't yield the same.

Note that you do need to include a deductible on claims where someone else is at fault in order to save - only take it on claims where your driver is at fault.

Some other sometime overlooked facts are that you can:

* Fix the value of your car to whatever you want. So long as you're not unrealistic, the difference in the premium is negligable. Our cars have been fixed at 90% of new price for their entire lifespan (3 years now).

* Increase the cover on overall liability, death, medicals and the bail bond. I usually do 10M, 1M, 200K and 200K respectively, which only increases the premium by a couple of hundred Baht. the standard 100K for death is nowhere near enough of there's a farang at the wheel, or if it's known there's a farang somehow associated with the driver. In these cases the "negotiations" always start at 1M Baht - cover yourself.

Hope this helps :)

* Fix the value of your car to whatever you want. So long as you're not unrealistic, the difference in the premium is negligable. Our cars have been fixed at 90% of new price for their entire lifespan (3 years now).

Wouldn't that give you an incentive to 'accidentally' wreck your car a few years down the line, then recieve 90% of what you paid for it? You would make more for crashing your car then you would by selling it!

Edited by DeathbyDurian

Wouldn't that give you an incentive to 'accidentally' wreck your car a few years down the line, then recieve 90% of what you paid for it? You would make more for crashing your car then you would by selling it!

I don't imagine it'd be a small undertaking to 'accidentally' wreck your car to a degree that'd get it written off in Thailand - given the low cost of labor and parts, they can repair a lot of damage and still be way under premium.. Thinking about this a little more - I doubt even burning alone would do it, it'd probably have to be a burnt, twisted and mangled wreck, haunted by a thousand ghosts before they'd write it off ;P

In any case, from what I've seen, the standard practice for Thai insurers is to offer you 80% of new value for the first year, ~70% in the 2nd year and ~60% in the 3rd. By this time there's no way you'd be able to replace your 3yo (domestically produced) car for the insurance payout value, so a fixed price makes a lot of sense.

And jokes aside, the primary risk you're covering with this is fire & theft, not accidents of course.

I pay 18000 for an october 2008 Jazz sv with repairs at main Honda dealers only

So how does that work, "repairs at main Honda dealers only" .... if it's someone else's fault and it's their insurance paying do you still get the car repaired at Honda (without bonus loss of course) ?

I pay 18000 for an october 2008 Jazz sv with repairs at main Honda dealers only

So how does that work, "repairs at main Honda dealers only" .... if it's someone else's fault and it's their insurance paying do you still get the car repaired at Honda (without bonus loss of course) ?

Get a quote from AA Insurance Brokers - they are in Pattaya and do the Thai Visa cover

If you have 1st class (fully comprehensive) insurance in Thailand, the only entity you deal with is your insurance company - even if the accident was someone else's fault and they also have 1st class insurance.