External Hard Drive Not Recognized By My Pc.

onnut

I've got an external hard drive, 250 GB. it's about 3 years old and been well looked after. But, today my PC couldn't recognize it! When I plugged it in a message popped up saying that this device is not recognized please plug it in again, if it does not work then replace!

Or words to that effect.

I tried and still no luck.

It's got music and photos stored on it, but I have a back up so I will not lose them. But is there anything I can do to save my drive?

Thank you

Assuming it is a USB connection, I would plug it in to to other USB ports on your PC. Then I would try to plug it in to another computer. Then if that worked I would reformat the drive from that other computer, and then check your PC. Not sure my ideas are logical, just saying what I would try. I do think in general repairing hard drives is not going to be very cost efficient vs. buying a new one.

There is a trick I have used and it works sometimes. You can put the drive in a plastic container and put it in the freezer for a day. Take it out and let it go back to room temperature on its own and then try it again. This usually works if you can hear the hard drive clicking. It won't fix all the errors but its worth a try.

try another cable a new one

That's such an easy solution we often don't think of it.

I had a drive that "died" and I was horrified that I'd lose everything on it. Took it into a shop and transferred everything, very slowly, using his cables, onto my laptop.

Then I realized that it seemed to be working in the shop with his cables. Bought the new USB cable (30? baht) and went home in hope.

Still working perfectly now.

It wasn't the drive at all - just the cable.

Might not work for you, but it's such a cheap and easy solution that we often don't think that way.

Assuming it is a USB connection, I would plug it in to to other USB ports on your PC. Then I would try to plug it in to another computer. Then if that worked I would reformat the drive from that other computer, and then check your PC. Not sure my ideas are logical, just saying what I would try. I do think in general repairing hard drives is not going to be very cost efficient vs. buying a new one.

:)

quote: "It's got music and photos stored on it, but I have a back up so I will not lose them. But is there anything I can do to save my drive?"

Probably anything but the drive itself:

the circuitry in the case

the computer's USB port

the cable

It is not unusual for Windows to complain that you should plug the device into another port etc, it means you have to start unplugging/replugging, maybe even rebooting, swapping cables etc.

I have had bad luck with the USB stuff in the past, eg my last laptop died when I disconnected an external drive (yes, I waited for Windows to tell me it was ok). Yeah, the USB ports can go south, I have the impression the whole USB concept wasn't really designed for the swapping of devices some of us do.

Naam, he said he has a backup of what is on the bad drive, so why your reaction to reformatting data he has elsewhere?

I agree that there is a good chance it has something to do with the connection in the disk box. Or the cable. I would take it in to a computer place that sells these boxes and ask them to try it out on a new box with a machine they have (after playing around with your own box's connections first).

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, a new cable first.

That would be my absolute first suggestion.

Second would be a different USB port, actually all USB ports.

Third would be a different USB device, such as if a thumb drive,

fails on all ports then, your USB controller may have gone south.

Now test on a different system, a separate computer.

Both the disc and the thumb.

Both work, question your system board controller.

Only Hard disk fails, question it, it is the disc. Replace it.

Logic testing.

Just speaking from 35+ years of experience.

Wish you the best of luck.

Edited by howto

This seems to be common with external USB drives, i have 2 sitting here which have the same problem, if you plug it in/out a few times then it should work but this is a sign that the drive is on its last legs, at least as far as using it for usb goes, if you fail to get your data then take it out the case and attach it directly to the PC and then this should work

Something I do that works sometimes....open computer management, storage, disk management. See if there is an unknown hard drive is there and if it is, right click and then ? I actually forget what the term used is, re-initialize? Maybe someone can fill in this blank for us.