Thai Protesters Target Bangkok's Tourist Centre

webfact

The very bottom line is that the poor people are tired of the middlemen stealing from them. You have to admit that the red shirts have not taken over government buildings nor have they closed the airport.

The yellow shirts and their pet politicians managed a coup to oust Thaksin and then their puppet politicians managed to oust the two other two legally elected PM's. You could call Abhisit legally elected, but that is quite a push. You are not happy with the politicians? Wait for the next election rather than oust three legally elected PM's.

Like it or not the current government owes the yellow shirts BIG time. If Abhisit holds elections within six months, I think the red shirts are being unreasonable if they refuse to accept those terms.

hmmm this one deserves to be ripped apart line by line .....

The very bottom line is that the poor people are NOT tired of being stolen from and want Thaksin back to do it some more.

The reds made a play for Government house but were rebuffed. They have mentioned the airports but have been told "No"

The PAD didn't push any government out and to do so is just a simple LIE. The PAD prevented the PPP government from passing laws to whitewash Thaksin. The courts ruled on the PPP and they are history because of it.

You could call Abhisit legally elected .... because he is.

Yes this government is PROBABLY in place because of the PAD stopping the PPP from unilaterally changing the charter with no referendum.

The reds have no option but to be unreasonable --- their boss says that the dems can't be allowed to set the next budhet or be the seated government when the next military reshuffle occurs.

(BTW --- you revisionist history is making me see Red.)

Here's jdinasia, the twister, again. The red shirts have clearly stated at the start of the very first day of the rallies, that they will not take over the airports like the yellows shirts have done. Look it up, there's a statement out there that the newspapers even published. The PAD didn't achieve anything. The courts had already set a date for the verdict, what PAD did was simply billions in damages and thousands of Thais losing their jobs.

Link please thats prove what you say

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever thought that maybe they're not being paid? 100,000 people, each paid 1,000 Baht per day as some of the newspapers have claimed, for what ...3 weeks now? That's 2,100,000,000 Baht. 2 billion Baht, yes. Don't you think that maybe people are coming out of their own free will, because they're fed up with the government?

Heh heh, that's cute. Yes of course they all just came down here on their own no money changed hands and no free gas, or food or anything else. One day they just all woke up and said dam_n it we need the lower house dissolved and ummmm they headed to BKK to make it happen.. all those pics and videos and first hand reports of payments well that is just a Yellow shirt scam to make the REDs look bad (not that they really need any help of late) you are a very funny guy RM, I do indeed hope your post was in jest... because if nothing else it was very funny.

I have staff that have told my wife and I personally of being paid to "protest" in the interest of accuracy it was not 1,000 baht per day but 500. I don't know if that is the going rate or not.. and I am sure that some of the people came on their own with valid concerns and full knowledge of what they want to change... but that I am betting is a pretty small minority.

They were paid for gas, not to protest. Of course, you can twist it, I'll give you that. You obviously have never been outside of Bangkok and don't own a car either. Driving from Chiang Mai or the North-East to Bangkok costs more than just the 2,000 Baht they received. They probably paid another 500 or 1,000 from their own pockets to get here. Not to mention going back (though you're right, they could get another 2,000 Baht to drive 70% back home).

And so they're being paid 500 Baht to protest? That's still over 1 billion Baht.

Rainman, you are pathetic....I feel for you and your family.! I hope that a bit of rest when all this is over will help you to recover!

I'm pathetic and you feel sorry for me because ....I explained the cost of driving from the North or North-East to Bangkok? Or did the simple math of 100,000 x 500 x 21? Save your pity for yourself :)

I wonder if the red Shirt Brigae paymasters will reimburse those who are injured in any fracas as may arise, or will the pay masters take the money and run ?

Have you ever thought that maybe they're not being paid? 100,000 people, each paid 1,000 Baht per day as some of the newspapers have claimed, for what ...3 weeks now? That's 2,100,000,000 Baht. 2 billion Baht, yes. Don't you think that maybe people are coming out of their own free will, because they're fed up with the government?

Uhhh, no. They're coming because 1. they are being paid. 2. They have been told that by coming out they will bring about the return of the anointed one. 3. In order to bring Him back, the government must fall.

Without Thaksin's face and money, this movement dissolves.

So now that we have you on the line - do you support the idea of a guerilla movement? If not, how does do you reconcile your continued support of a movement which has threatened to use warfare against its own people?

A bomb planted inside a garbage bin near the Saphan Khao Intersection exploded at 9:30 pm, police said.

No injuries were reported.

The Nation

dam_n, why they just NOT ARREST those 3 red leaders?? For the sake of public security and order!! Just really not understand it!! Or is arresting the heads of public disorder and terroristic activity has something to do with Constitution and Democracy?? :)

Without ALL the heads, the Hydra is harmless. And the heads are well-known, and their locations are well-monitored. So, whatta......??

Why didn't they arrest the yellow-shirt PAD leaders when they took over the airports? At least they're fair, got to give them that, no?

Better go back and check your facts :D Then again ... why would you?

BTW -- fair would be a replay of Oct 7th --- this is just a case of double standards! (That I approve of -- I would NOT like to see something like Oct 7th repeated, but we have a different and much better government now than we did under PPP)

For starters:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/12/bus...ss_30090787.php

"The management has told us to sue the PAD and launch preventive measures. Preliminarily, the damage is Bt64 million a day plus lost opportunity cost. We're not sure about the exact damage claims as other losses must be incorporated, including the impacts on King Power and the airlines," Serirat said.

The lawsuit will be filed in the Civil Court by January, he said.

Due to the airport shutdowns, AOT agreed to waive rents on duty-free shop operators and pay compensation to operators and airlines. The exact amount is not known, Serirat said.

Earlier, the board of Thai Airways International also backed a plan for the national carrier to sue the PAD for about Bt20 billion.

And that's only damages done to AOT.

Edited by rainman

Latest phone-in from Thaksin, being reportec now on Nation website
Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a phone-in to address the protesters who seized control of the Rajprasong commercial area and said he was proud of what they have done.

Thaksin said the red-shirt people had it "for Thailand's future".

He said the "ammart" or elites-back government would be unable to suppress the people.

He said the red-shirt protesters did not damage the business in the area but helped foods vendors and restaurant owners have better business.

The Nation

:):D :D :D

You couldn't make it up...

็He's playing to his audience now.

(this is not a compliment)

A bomb planted inside a garbage bin near the Saphan Khao Intersection exploded at 9:30 pm, police said.

No injuries were reported.

The Nation

dam_n, why they just NOT ARREST those 3 red leaders?? For the sake of public security and order!! Just really not understand it!! Or is arresting the heads of public disorder and terroristic activity has something to do with Constitution and Democracy?? :D

Without ALL the heads, the Hydra is harmless. And the heads are well-known, and their locations are well-monitored. So, whatta......??

Why didn't they arrest the yellow-shirt PAD leaders when they took over the airports? At least they're fair, got to give them that, no?

Yes, the question is same. And the answer too: look where the mooney are.

PS: all I want is - to do my job here and to be reasonably paid for. Those rainbow-coloured i_diots just staying on my way. And also the way of the rest of the country's ppl (even in their own, too. Who'll be buying the overprised lechees from them if here are NO tourists??).

And here are -75% of tourists. Already.

Well done, lechee farmers! Keep walking... there is still 25% to walk to.... :)

Rainman>> And your statement that thousands lost thier jobs?

I'm sorry, not thousands, but 1 million jobs:

http://www.oknation.net/blog/varanyu/2008/12/24/entry-1

Kasit Piromya, 64, will be sworn in on Monday as Thailand's new foreign minister. His job of rebuilding Thailand's battered international image will not be helped by the fact that he was a prominent supporter of the protests, and still is.

More than 350, 000 travellers were stranded three weeks ago when a few thousand demonstrators from the ultraroyalist People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) stormed the airport. Investor confidence has been badly shaken and analysts say that lost tourism business could cost 1 million jobs.

But Mr Kasit told an audience of astonished diplomats and foreign journalists on Friday that the protests were "a lot of fun".

This is not on the red shirts agenda, so why mention? Both, yellow shirt leaders (sometimes light green or in pink) and Thaksin need the lawlessness to slip through without being charged.

Kasit Piromya, 64, will be sworn in on Monday as Thailand's new foreign minister. His job of rebuilding Thailand's battered international image will not be helped by the fact that he was a prominent supporter of the protests, and still is.

More than 350, 000 travellers were stranded three weeks ago when a few thousand demonstrators from the ultraroyalist People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) stormed the airport. Investor confidence has been badly shaken and analysts say that lost tourism business could cost 1 million jobs.

But Mr Kasit told an audience of astonished diplomats and foreign journalists on Friday that the protests were "a lot of fun".

Sorry, I was unclear.

I ofcourse meant credible sources.

Picking on Kasit is like beating up on a 90 year old man (something Thaksins thugs were good at, btw). I don't think you'll find too many pro Abhisit people who think Kasit was a good choice. We all make mistakes and he (Kasit) has proved himself to be incompetent.

I guess you haven't noticed that the PAD leaders have been indicted for the airport takeover- they are awaiting their day in court. And I haven't heard of any of them fleeing the country.

I wonder if the red Shirt Brigae paymasters will reimburse those who are injured in any fracas as may arise, or will the pay masters take the money and run ?

I heard 500THB per day not 1000THB . That would be 1 billion bahts for 3 weeks . How much did Thaksin familly withdraw from bank recently ? 1 billion bahts exactly . There you go . Of course i believe some are not paid , most are paid . Else anyway how could they stay in BKK , those are not rich folks .

Did you hear that story it was in the BP or Nation that Thaksin offfered up to 55 millions Bahts to MPs to join PTP . How many seats ? probably the 40 that PTP lost as compared to their previous incarnation PPP . 40 x 55millions = 2 billions .

So ... so far Thaksin has saved some money , that may not last .

Yes, the question is same. And the answer too: look where the mooney are.

PS: all I want is - to do my job here and to be reasonably paid for. Those rainbow-coloured i_diots just staying on my way. And also the way of the rest of the country's ppl (even in their own, too. Who'll be buying the overprised lechees from them if here are NO tourists??).

And here are -75% of tourists. Already.

Well done, lechee farmers! Keep walking... there is still 25% to walk to.... :)

BTW, in my homecountry have NO such of questions like "the main international airport was besieged and occupied by the lechee farmers". There is NO question of "State Regime object is out of the State control".

And (IF!) it is - the question for SWAT is 1hr to allow them to be peacefully dispersed from, and another 10min for a sturm. And yes - there might be some corpses lying down and left behind, and the question is over.

And yes - it was THEIR choise after the peaceful disperse order is sounded out, but the time ran out.

And yes - my homeland is NOT democratic at all (while - oficcially! - it is). But there is NO such of question as "airport closure". But YES - who cares? You need a clean but real airport - or you need the virtual string in the UN records?

Your choise.

Funny you, bro.

The True and Clear Democracy is an uthopy. It is just not exist anywhere in this World, never was and never will be.

Edited by alex_aka_P

Gotta love it ... since the AOT shut the airport down ..... not the PAD.

That the unemployment rate did NOT go up considerably might put a dent in the numbers predicted. That tourism took as big a hit after 2009's Songkran riots is always overlooked by the Reds on this board.

For starters:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/12/bus...ss_30090787.php

"The management has told us to sue the PAD and launch preventive measures. Preliminarily, the damage is Bt64 million a day plus lost opportunity cost. We're not sure about the exact damage claims as other losses must be incorporated, including the impacts on King Power and the airlines," Serirat said.

The lawsuit will be filed in the Civil Court by January, he said.

Due to the airport shutdowns, AOT agreed to waive rents on duty-free shop operators and pay compensation to operators and airlines. The exact amount is not known, Serirat said.

Earlier, the board of Thai Airways International also backed a plan for the national carrier to sue the PAD for about Bt20 billion.

And that's only damages done to AOT.

You say it cost 1 million jobs. But your the text say could cost 1 million jobs. I think that is a big different. So how many jobs???

Weak governments are consistent in Thailand....I'll give em that.

Give one side free reign to close an airport......now Abhisit et al are petrified of coming down too hard on this lot....yep their pretty much f*cked now. I'm not really that keen on seeing coppers wading in beating <deleted> out of "uncompliant" protestors.......but you CANNOT let a mass of people set up a stage wherever they want in the middle of your capital city....weak, weak weak.

They were paid for gas, not to protest. Of course, you can twist it, I'll give you that. You obviously have never been outside of Bangkok and don't own a car either. Driving from Chiang Mai or the North-East to Bangkok costs more than just the 2,000 Baht they received. They probably paid another 500 or 1,000 from their own pockets to get here.

You obviously do not know how poor farmers from upcountry usually travel to Bangkok. Definitely not one person per car, only then your argument would have any merit.

Normally it is 10 or even more packed into the back of a pickup, plus all their food and other needs. Cost per person is well below THb 500; I know, because lots of the family of my wife travel exactly this way when going to work on their construction jobs in the big city.

Reason for edit: quote was from rainman

Edited by jts-khorat

yawn re: loss of jobs. wang even

imagine how much busier Thailand would be without the coup having happened!

but yes no the can of worms is wriggling about.

not that i approve of mr T, or the yellows.. but facts is facts... yellow chose the banana replublic route... for right or wrong.. it will have knock on effects

Picking on Kasit is like beating up on a 90 year old man (something Thaksins thugs were good at, btw). I don't think you'll find too many pro Abhisit people who think Kasit was a good choice. We all make mistakes and he (Kasit) has proved himself to be incompetent.

I guess you haven't noticed that the PAD leaders have been indicted for the airport takeover- they are awaiting their day in court. And I haven't heard of any of them fleeing the country.

If that Kasit character is not a good choice (which he obviously is not) then why choose him ?

I am amazed since he is the one responsible for asking foreign governement to extradite Thaksin .

No wonder they dont listen .

You obviously do not know how poor farmers from upcountry usually travel to Bangkok. Definitely not one person per car, only then your argument would have any merit.

Poor farmers.....nothing to do about the farming at their locations during the season, so they decided to come to Bkk for sitting on the streets.....Yeah, poor farmers......

I expecting them to become MORE poor soon, as they leave their common jobs and thus get no rewards from that.

And that was THEIR OWN choice.

....ohh, please blame to Abhisit about their poorness now, yeah.........!!

Edited by alex_aka_P

tulsathit: I can hear boos coming from some tweetple. But if u ask me, this is the only step govt can take. The crowd's too massive to do anyth harsh.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:29:00 PM

tulsathit: When all protesters are informed and if they refuse to leave, govt will then enforce the law," Satit said.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:26:53 PM

tulsathit: Govt will intensify public relations moves to let the protesters know of the announcement.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:26:03 PM

tulsathit: "There are a lot of people at the rally who do not know that they are now breaking the law," Satit said.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:25:19 PM

tulsathit: Satit said most protesters were not aware of the govt announcement.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:24:57 PM

tulsathit: The announcement was to formally criminalize the protesters who refuse to leave.

All Thai tv stations are now broadcasting a talk by 2 high up army chaps and a third person who I don't recognize. Must be important announcement though since its pre-empting the soaps.

Any update on this? Only during times like these do I regret getting rid of my tv...

****Edit, Thanks Elcent

Edited by Meridian007

I still cannot understand that so many people on this forum say the military installed the current government and it was not democratically elected.

1. The members of parliament, who were elected, formed a coalition and elected the current PM as well as the past two.

2. Thailand is a Constitutional Monarchy, hence it is called the Kingdom of Thailand, not the United Kingdom of Thailand

or the United Provinces of Thailand.

3. The military is: The Royal Thai Armed Forces. The head of the Royal Thai Armed Forces is who? Need a clue?