Thai Protesters Target Bangkok's Tourist Centre

webfact

Too many drunk foreigners on the streets at this time of night ... probably 4-5 am is the likely time.

Yeah maybe. As I mentioned in an earlier post - I was down at the protest site today and there were farangs everwhere - literally everywhere - clicking away - gawping etc. They didn't seem that deterred by it all.

I even saw two farang Red-Shirts. One riding around on a chopper with a red shirt and headband (his Thai girl on the back) and the other in Big C dressed the same with a group of Red-Shirts.

Looked today like there was something there for everyone!

A real carnival atmosphere.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jfchandler, the journalists who work for both BKK Post and The Nation (and other sources) are using Twitter. I've never really appreciated the service before but it really comes into its own at times like this.

You can use Twitter to get the status updates then go to the newspaper sites or this later for more in-depth coverage and opinion. PM me if you want more info.

When I was out around Central World on Sat afternoon, I found someone had set up a TV camera position on the elevated walkway that runs between Central World and Gaysorn Plaza.... But it didn't look like it was done by any of the regular Thai TV stations... TV camera, but otherwise very amateurish in appearance.

So it made me wonder, is there any web site that's carrying live video of the Ratchaprasong protest site.... similar to what ASTV did back during the time of the airport seizure and such...... Do their Reds have their own video streaming site?????

http://www.chiangrai24.tv/

Have a look here. OK, it's not 20 million, but good luck in moving that group quickly without violence breaking out.

And what happens if the reds decide to leave just before the army/police move in? Everyone then moves onto the next place ... maybe another intersection or the airport for a day. It's like a game of cat and mouse.

How are 10,000 (or whatever the number is) protesters arrested at once if they choose to sit and be arrested?

When I was out around Central World on Sat afternoon, I found someone had set up a TV camera position on the elevated walkway that runs between Central World and Gaysorn Plaza.... But it didn't look like it was done by any of the regular Thai TV stations... TV camera, but otherwise very amateurish in appearance.

So it made me wonder, is there any web site that's carrying live video of the Ratchaprasong protest site.... similar to what ASTV did back during the time of the airport seizure and such...... Do their Reds have their own video streaming site?????

http://www.chiangrai24.tv/

Live on there at the moment.

Mate, if you are going off the minimum police estimates then you are a fool.

Even those have varied from 20 000 to 60 000. But as a rule, conservative yet realistic estimates are twice those. I'm hearing from neutral internationals on the ground that the rally tonight rivals the biggest protest ever held in the US.

BULLSH*T

Jing...don't be too grumpy....It's not good for your health....

Really, of course anyone can go to any web site.... But the point is, a lot of people do/did rely on ThaiVisa as an aggregator of news and other information.... which allows them to get all kinds of information without trolling all over the web.

The point of my post was...and it's a valid one.... losing the BKK Post from the TV news mix -- I particularly realize during this kind of a time -- really diminishes the value of TV in providing that kind of role....

Try reading this thread again in the morning, and maybe you'll feel better then... :)

Oy vey, nobody is stopping anyone from going to any website, including the Bangkok Post.

UDD protesters at Ratchaprasong face legal action

BANGKOK, 3 April 3, 2010 (NNT) – The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) declares a rally at Ratchaprasong Junction illegal. Violators are subject to an imprisonment of not exceeding one year and/or a fine of not exceeding 20,000 THB.

CAPO Spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd, PM’s Office Minister Satit Wonghnongtaey and Acting Government Spokesman Panitan Watanayagorn were present at a press conference to announce the legal action against the protesters tonight at the center’s head quarters at the 11th Infantry Regiment. A rally is also prohibited on roads surrounding the junction, including Rama I, Sukhumvit and Ratchadamri. The minister said CAPO decided to enforce law prohibiting a mass gathering there since the roads were located in an important business area of the capital city.

The minister assured the government did not try to disperse the anti-government protests by announcing to take legal action against them. He added that the government would clarify the matter to the protesters later to create an understanding.

The United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) has rallied at Ratchaprasong Junction since this morning, blocking traffic on the roads. The group’s core figures announced that the UDD supporters would keep on rallying there until the government dissolved the House.

The UDD has staged its mass protests in Bangkok since 12 March 2010.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304030023

CAPO announces the Ratchaprasong Junction a restricted area for rallying

BANGKOK, 4 April 2010 (NNT) -The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order last night made an announcement, declaring the Ratchaprasong Junction a restricted area for political rallies.

Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd, CAPO Spokesperson said the announcement was necessitated following the breakdown of a negotiation by the CAPO team and core leaders of the demonstrators who insisted to make the Ratchaprasong Junction their temporary base.

The announcement was made in line with the Internal Security Act imposed in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan at present. Authorities are entitled to announce restriction for certain persons to enter, or to leave the designated area, or they will be held guilty according to the law, and liable to up to 1-year jailterm or 20,000 THB fine, or both.

Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office Sathit Wongnongtoey explained that with the announcement, those who holed up at the area would be deemed law violators. CAPO are starting to make demonstrators understand that they are violating the security law, with loud-speaker units sent in at the demonstration area from now on.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304030024

Sunderland, thanks much for the info re the streaming video... Comes thru fine... Nice music, as always....in these things... Looks like they're using UStream to do the broadcast...and it shows more than 2000 viewers as of 2 am Sunday....

Not sure what is going on at Phan Faa. Someone on stage is either singing or speaking. Crowd seem lively and waving a lot. Perhaps it's a sing-off between the 2 venues. Don't tell the police that all entertainment venues have to be closed by 2 a.m.

CAPO announces the Ratchaprasong Junction a restricted area for rallying

BANGKOK, 4 April 2010 (NNT) -The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order last night made an announcement, declaring the Ratchaprasong Junction a restricted area for political rallies.

Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd, CAPO Spokesperson said the announcement was necessitated following the breakdown of a negotiation by the CAPO team and core leaders of the demonstrators who insisted to make the Ratchaprasong Junction their temporary base.

The announcement was made in line with the Internal Security Act imposed in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan at present. Authorities are entitled to announce restriction for certain persons to enter, or to leave the designated area, or they will be held guilty according to the law, and liable to up to 1-year jailterm or 20,000 THB fine, or both.

Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office Sathit Wongnongtoey explained that with the announcement, those who holed up at the area would be deemed law violators. CAPO are starting to make demonstrators understand that they are violating the security law, with loud-speaker units sent in at the demonstration area from now on.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304030024

Sounds like a good 'ole fashioned siege. Let's hope that they don't have to use the trebuchets.

Sounds like she is from Radio Thailand and had a few too many Changs tonight.

Don't know if many foreigners are listening, but she is trying to explain in basic English about why they are protesting, including a reference to Thaksin as the best prime minister, the one who paid off the IMF and gave everyone 30 baht health treatment. Also said that Abhisit ordered soldiers from Prachinburi and other places to kill red shirt protesters and monks last April.

Drones on some more about this and that ... basically the same rhetoric which we have already heard before and accuses Abhisit of corruption.

Edited by Sunderland

There's a Red Shirt woman now on stage giving a speech in full blown English, pretty good.... Telling everyone around the world the Red Shirts love peace and democracy.... And so on and so on.... Had to stay up until 2:30 am to hear it.... Wonder how many in the crowd have any clue what's she's saying....

There's a Red Shirt woman now on stage giving a speech in full blown English, pretty good.... Telling everyone around the world the Red Shirts love peace and democracy.... And so on and so on.... Had to stay up until 2:30 am to hear it.... Wonder how many in the crowd have any clue what's she's saying....

It is quite articulate, but little of substance. The health minister she is citing right now was ditched precisely because of the corruption she is accusing him of - what does that indicate about the govt?

Now she's blaming PAD for hijacking the airport while protesting amongst a few international hotels...

I particularly enjoyed how one of the Red Shirt leaders, in one of the newspaper reports today, threatened to expose the government spokesman as supposedly having been involved in some kind of forest encroachment scheme....

Well, if the Red Shirt guy is being quoted in the Thai newspaper talking about the subject, I'd say he's pretty much exposed the subject, for whatever it's worth.... Not much of a secret anymore, whatever it is.... :)