Do We Want The Reds Shirts To Lead Thailand Forward?

whistleblower

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.

I will take that as being assent!

Whistleblower, you have obviously never seen a protest in London by the cyclists. No coordination with the police; just thousands of cyclists riding in large groups and blocking the roads.

Maybe you should remember that Thaksin was democratically elected and then removed by a military coup. You will now doubt say that he and his party were guilty of bribing voters etc.; to which my reply is that if you believe no other party in Thailand did the same then you are very naive!

Remember that democracy not only means you can express your opinion, but those with whom you disagree can as well!

Very good post

This is daft. What the reds have done (and even said, for inciting an angry mob to be violent and commit other crimes is a crime in most civilized countries) this week would not be tolerated in ANY western democratic capitol city, PERIOD.

Edited by Jingthing

What Abisit might be considering ( I certainly would if I was PM) is the fact that there's a lot of Red Shirt support upcountry who aren't in Bangkok. If he came down hard then those folks might just decide to get involved too seeing their " cousins" getting knocked about a bit or whatever.

Unlike Thailand during the G20 protests in the west you're not going to find a large number of ordinary western folks tuned in to a protesters TV channel going " YEAH!! RIGHT ON BROTHERS!!!

But you didn't use the word " morons " in the context of your example did you?
They are being paid to protest on behalf of an egomaniac that wants to save face (and his money).

Thats what makes them morons.

They were exercising their democratic right to protest. It's irrelevant the cause. So what if they believe the Thaksin propaganda machine. It's their right to do so. Not going along with your point of view doesn't make them morons. Misguided? Sure if you like. Used? Ditto. Morons? Nah.

To be honest I'm sure there's a fair few number on this forum using offensively derogatory remarks about the Reds who, were I to meet them, I would most probably be justified in thinking " Now there goes a real frigging moron " more than any Thai walking the face of the earth.

In my experience the most vocal expats about how dumb the Thais are usually the ones who aren't among the higher echelons of intelligentsia themselves. Well. why beat around the bush. They're thick as shit. :)

Says the man from Koen khen!!! we know where your priorities lie

With the rural poor sure. They've had the shitty end of the stick for a long time now. The saddest aspect for me is that they decided to choose Thaksin and his boys as their savior.

I'll even do you the courtesy of ignoring the fact that you didn't try to defend your " moron " comment being out of the given context as I pointed out.

Edited by mca

Whistleblower, you have obviously never seen a protest in London by the cyclists. No coordination with the police; just thousands of cyclists riding in large groups and blocking the roads.

Maybe you should remember that Thaksin was democratically elected and then removed by a military coup. You will now doubt say that he and his party were guilty of bribing voters etc.; to which my reply is that if you believe no other party in Thailand did the same then you are very naive!

Remember that democracy not only means you can express your opinion, but those with whom you disagree can as well!

Is there a difference between protesting and inciting violence in your books?

Protesting is one thing ... doing so in areas that have been deemed illegal to

do so is another.

Protesting is one thing ... invading government offices and forcing them to close

is another

Protesting is one thing .... inciting civil unrest is another

My shirt is not red or yellow it is BLUE ... Chelsea BLUE

Very good post

Is this democracy at work?

Let me break it down for the Americans out there. The Red shirts are like hill billies from the Ozarks and Appalachians. Poor, not well educated and a bit marginalized by the rest of the country. They idolize a corrupt billionaire named Bernie Madoff, they thinks he's the cat's ass. Bernie is in jail for his misdeeds but sees these rubes as his ticket to freedom and the restoration of his ill gotten fortune. He tries to enlist the help of a million of these fine folks, but through bribery and angry rhetoric he only manages to get 50,000 to participate in his scheme. He has them march on Washington, he even puts gas in their pickups so they can make the journey. They occupy the streets of the nation's capitol. They piss on the sidewalks and make a nuisance of themselves. They loiter and block intersections and hang out at the Lincoln memorial. They hope by doing this that Obama will not only pardon Bernie, but that he'll declare him the new President. Sounds insane doesn't it? What about the other 300 million or so citizens? Shouldn't they get a say? No, all that matters is that Bernie Madoff gets rich and powerful once more. And when he does his protesters can go back to moonshining and marrying their cousins.

And that in a nutshell is what it is like to live in Thailand these days.

It would be a freaking nightmare! Cheering for sanity to prevail.

As a friend noted, whenever it's hillbillies vs civilisation, the hillbillies usually win. While I share your opinions about the nightmare of Red leadership, I'm preparing for the worst.

Let me break it down for the Americans out there. The Red shirts are like hill billies from the Ozarks and Appalachians. Poor, not well educated and a bit marginalized by the rest of the country. They idolize a corrupt billionaire named Bernie Madoff, they thinks he's the cat's ass. Bernie is in jail for his misdeeds but sees these rubes as his ticket to freedom and the restoration of his ill gotten fortune. He tries to enlist the help of a million of these fine folks, but through bribery and angry rhetoric he only manages to get 50,000 to participate in his scheme. He has them march on Washington, he even puts gas in their pickups so they can make the journey. They occupy the streets of the nation's capitol. They piss on the sidewalks and make a nuisance of themselves. They loiter and block intersections and hang out at the Lincoln memorial. They hope by doing this that Obama will not only pardon Bernie, but that he'll declare him the new President. Sounds insane doesn't it? What about the other 300 million or so citizens? Shouldn't they get a say? No, all that matters is that Bernie Madoff gets rich and powerful once more. And when he does his protesters can go back to moonshining and marrying their cousins.

Fair summary.

Given the violent revolutionary CIVIL WAR inciting rhetoric coming today from the red shirt LEADERS, I find it truly disgusting that the red shirts have any remaining foreign apologists. It is surreal to hear the red lovers using the same arguments as before, as if things didn't radically change today. Wake up! This is not about allowing free speech and peaceful protest, we are all for that. This is about how to deal with a Thaksin incited civil war.

I am always fasinated with foreign phrasiology;

The yellow shirts have some foreign supporters.

The red shirts have some foreign apologists.

Reminds me of US history and how it was written;

When the native americans won a battle it was a massacre.

When the white man won a battle it was a victory.

What are you smokin dude?? This is the most absurd comparative analogy yet. The hillbillies in the Ozarks and Appalachians wouldn't be bothered to walk across the street out of curiosity, much less with motivation over anything higher than city/county politics. Their ambitions are to once in their lives make the trek to The Grand Ol Opre, or tour Elvis mansion. And Bernie Madoff?!?! What are you stinkin..er I mean thinkin. Those hillbillies don't know Bernie, nor give a rat's a$$ or the hair on it's tail who he is. Bernie ruined the lives of countless middle to high class city slickers and had virtually no effect on the good ol boys in the hills. The average hillbillies pickup truck wouldnt make the journey to D.C. MMMMM you mention those hillbillies would afterwards, go back home to makin moonshine and marrying their cousins? These, the poor and undereducated localized minority of US population are who you chose as a comparison to the massive number of poor farming, Northern, Northeastern, Thai; the same people that not only feed the entire country of Thailand, but export their crops to how many other countries, the US included??? Please, come up for some fresh air and give your mind a chance.