Teachabroadthailand.com

TeachAbroadThailand.com

Does anyboody know anything about TeachAbroadThailand.com. They advertise that you can do a 40 hour online course in your own country, then come to thailand and do another two week course, then u have your telf certificate.

Yes, do check. I heard at school that the laws have changed recently. You used to be allowed to teach with any degree and the TEFL or CELTA certificate, but I have heard that to teach you will need an education degree now.

I don't even know where to tell you to check that, and I have only heard it at school, so it might only apply to international schools, and not English language schools.

But...it's worth a check before you spend the time and money doing a TEFL certificate to make sure you can actually work here once you've got it.

"But the Education dept. does not accept online TEFL courses."

There is no requirement, other than perhaps by an individual employer, to have a TEFL certification.

As I understand the TEFL must be 120 hours min. and not online. There are many programs available in Bangkok.

Having A TEFL is a good "edge" to get in the door. My employer asked if I had completed one before I was hired three years ago. It is NOT required by the MOE, but it is good to do a TEFL if you have limited to no teaching experience. I would highly recommend doing it here. I don't know what the new rules are. I know people that have taken their TEFL online and are still employed. I did the 120 hour "in house" program, here in LOS, so I really don't have any experience with online programs.

OK, now for the degree requirement. Rules have changed. You need a bachelor's degree in Education, or you will need to take the TCT (Teachers Council Tests) for your teachers license if you hold a bachelors in anything besides Education. At this time the requirement only applies to Govt. Schools and some private schools. It does not apply if you want to lecture at a Uni. and most International Schools (real international schools) are exempt., but TIT, so this could change.

Two year waivers are being granted at this time, giving you time to meet the TCT requirement, and this can be extended. I just received my 2nd waiver for another two years, and the word is that you can extend up to six years (2 years at a time).

Some schools are insisting that the applicant possesses the receipt that they are in the process of meeting the TCT requirement for the teachers license before they will even consider hiring you, and other schools will just apply for the two year waiver, and worry later, so it depends.

Don't forget about the Thai Culture course which is separate from the TCT. I have heard of schools insisting that the applicant possess this certificate before they can be hired, but again it depends. Some schools will pay for both TCT and culture course, and other schools will not. My school did cover the culture course when I took it two years ago, but told all teachers that needed to take the TCT that we were on our own.

Bottom line is that it is becoming more difficult (and expensive) to stay legal and to land good jobs here, A TEFL will be of some help, but there are many other variables to consider, so do your homework and chok dee. :)

Edited by mizzi39

The MOE is not in responsible of licensing teachers anymore, so their approval or disapproval of TEFL courses isn't really relevant. However, most employers would like to see some sort of training or experience, so a TEFL is better than nothing. Also, a good course can teach you the basics of what you need to know to survive in a classroom.

The TCT (Teachers Council of Thailand) now licenses teachers. There are many threads discussing them and their requirements.

However, most employers would like to see some sort of training or experience, so a TEFL is better than nothing.

I don't think "most" require anything. I know several facts, I'll just list them. You can believe whatever you wish.

1. A female without any degree or training can get a job and a work permit here at the going wages in Government schools if she is a native speaker. Supply and demand combined with discrimination and ignorance.

2. Online "degrees" are considered degrees by some schools. Degrees issued by mail or in short periods of time i.e. months are also considered degrees by some schools. There is no verification that I'm aware of in regards to the M.of Ed. but others think so and we read on the various sites about it. Seriously question it in Government schools myself. They don't seem to have a clue.

3. TEFL certificates can be written by the schools themselves either in certificate form or just saying the applicant has one. There is no one or one hundred twenty hour requirement.

4. There is money involved. How it is spread around of course I don't know. But for sure there is a conflict of interest and the qualifications of the "teacher"s isn't the motivation nor the education of the pupils.

5. Many Government schools don't have a merit system for foreign teachers. It boils down a question about liking you or not, combined with the number(if any) of complaints from parents or other Thai teachers about a particular individuals conduct etc.. Accomplishments with students are not important. Ability and preparation for class not a factor. Number or missed days, late, etc. aren't considered either for increases and renewal.

The MOE is not in responsible of licensing teachers anymore, so their approval or disapproval of TEFL courses isn't really relevant. However, most employers would like to see some sort of training or experience, so a TEFL is better than nothing. Also, a good course can teach you the basics of what you need to know to survive in a classroom.

The TCT (Teachers Council of Thailand) now licenses teachers. There are many threads discussing them and their requirements.

The TCT's methods seem suspect to many of our readers (see the relevant pinned thread) and the nature of their behaviour and how strong their government endorsement remains are highly uncertain. I have still never seen one of their permanent licenses issued, even to those teachers I know with the highest possible qualifications here and in their own countries.

Their approval of TEFL courses might be relevant in the sense that it seems easier for certain companies and their connections to get paperwork.

Not many answers in the Phuket forum. Moved to Teaching forum.

Your TEFL Cert. must have at least 120 hours of classroom time and 6 hours of observed teaching practice, as per the recommendations of the British Council.

As far as the Thai MOE is concerned, you do NOT need a TEFL, just a BA degree in any subject!

So if two candidates go for a job;

Candidate A: Has a Trinity TESOL, iTEFL or CELTA cert. and some teaching experience, but no BA degree.

Candidate B: Has a BA degree in engineering and no TEFL/CELTA Cert. or any teaching experience.

Guess who can legally teach in Thailand? ......... Candidate B wins!

And you wonder why the Thais can't speak English?

Edited by Ijustwannateach
No spamming.