Starting A Micro-brewery

Hi, one of my current businesses are a couple of tourist bars, (soon to be 3!) on Sukhumvit Road. Trade is going fine :o

When I lived in the UK I established a 2-acre vineyard, and this gave me an interest in brewing and vinery. So I'm thinking about opening a micro-brewery on my bar premises.

I know there are some micro-breweries here in Thailand, so local legislation must allow them to operate. But does anyone have any details what is actually required by Thai law to establish a micro-brewery? What excise tax must be paid etc etc?

I have no problem sourcing micro-brewery equipment from Europe, but it's always nice (and maybe cheaper), to buy locally in LoS. Any manufacturers here?

All advice mucho appreciated :D

Simon

I lived in Saudi 8 yers and saw a lot of brewing. I have always wondered why no one did it themselves here.

I know there are some micro-breweries here in Thailand, so local legislation must allow them to operate. But does anyone have any details what is actually required by Thai law to establish a micro-brewery? What excise tax must be paid etc etc?

I have no problem sourcing micro-brewery equipment from Europe, but it's always nice (and maybe cheaper), to buy locally in LoS. Any manufacturers here?

See what this guy might know: [email protected]

http://www.bangkokbob.net/micro_breweries.htm

http://www.highbeam.com/library/doc0.asp?d...eyword=&teaser=

http://www.tawandang1999.com/

• 1 year later...

Have some experience working in several Brewpubs, and brewing my own.. I reccomend starting that [based on my limited research] there is no law against Home-brewing. I also have several contacts in the US, who i could tap as well.

I actually came to thailand with that goal, and i think Bangkok [especially Sukhumvit] is ripe!

Would love to discuss with you some more.

Let me know,

Good Luck :D

Marco.Polo

Hi, one of my current businesses are a couple of tourist bars, (soon to be 3!) on Sukhumvit Road. Trade is going fine :o

When I lived in the UK I established a 2-acre vineyard, and this gave me an interest in brewing and vinery. So I'm thinking about opening a micro-brewery on my bar premises.

All advice mucho appreciated :D

Simon

excise tax is 52% of the sales price

In all I've read on the subject here this is the real killer. You need a HUGE volume, and associated food sales, to come close to warranting the investment. German Tawandaeng's success, and the relative dearth of brew-pubs, confirm that assessment.

Temperature control here is the biggest obstacle to successful home-brewing, provided you could get access to decent whole grains? You could carry in (self-import) a yeast packet (and keep it going) and some hop plugs. Decent water might be an issue as well (bottled/filtered water might be too clean, tap/well water too dirty).

For acceptable top and bottom-fermenting yeasts, you'd need to set up a refrigerator with an accurate thermostat, or be prepared to supply air-conditioning incurring huge costs.