Am I Wrong?

Hi. Can someone please clarify something for me. Today i went to get a visa extension in trat.

I arrived in thailand on the 7th of feb. I work it out using a date calculator that 60 days from this date is the 8th of april (today). However, they charged me 500 for overstaying 1 day.

Then today they gave me a visa and told me that it will run out on 8th of may. According the calculator on this site thats 31 days.

eh?

So was i in the wrong to assume that my visa ended on the 8th of april?

Thanks.

Day of arrival counts as day 1 !! so include it in your calculation.

In any case you could just look in your PP to see what date was stamped in you permission to stay.

You have to apply for extension or leave the country by the date stated there!

opalhort

Day one is 7 February

22 days in Feb

31 days in Mar

08 days in Apr equals 61 days or one day overstay. You should have had stamp saying 7 april in your passport.

You paid overstay for day 8 April

day 9 April first day of 30 day extension

22 days in Apr

08 days in May equals 30 day extension of stay

ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't have my passport on me at the moment but i remember looking everywhere for the expiration date. I even asked my friend to have a look but he couldnt see it either.

I remember there is an ink sploge on it. Perhaps thats it :-)

Thanks.

I arrived in thailand on the 7th of feb. I work it out using a date calculator that 60 days from this date is the 8th of april

Example of an arrival stamp:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Arrival-stam...-image9055.html

Strictly speaking, you can forget about the arrival date. The only thing that matters is the “until” date. Apply for your extension one day later than that date and you are one day on overstay, resulting in a fine.

Please not that even if you apply earlier than the last day you will lose nothing. The extension period is added to the expiration date of your current permission to stay.

--

Maestro

When you enter Thailand they always put a stamp in your passport with a date that you must exit on or before. They also often stamp this on your departure card. Immigration obviously found that stamp or they would have no way to know you were overstay (yes they could look it up in computer but you would have had a lot of very concerned looks/checking of passport before that). It may not be anywhere near your visa but it is in your passport somewhere.

Example of an arrival stamp:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Arrival-stam...-image9055.html

Strictly speaking, you can forget about the arrival date. The only thing that matters is the "until" date. Apply for your extension one day later than that date and you are one day on overstay, resulting in a fine.

Please not that even if you apply earlier than the last day you will lose nothing. The extension period is added to the expiration date of your current permission to stay.

Is this also the case for the under consideration stamp, or is that always today+30 days (etc.)?

Is this also the case for the under consideration stamp, or is that always today+30 days (etc.)?

The "under consideration stamp" based on marriage always counts 30 days from the day of application. The final approval stamp for extension of stay counts from the date of your current permit to stay.

opalhort