Gardening On The Islands

i have always thought of roses as a hobby for old people. you shouldn't read any disrespect into that either.

young people just don't care about gardening or farming because they simply can't put 2 and 2 together.

adults understand the necessity, and eventually the need to escape from it and then do a quick u-turn back to it and grow accordingly.

the way i see it, only once you've been through each previous stage successfully would you understand and have available the time, resources, knowledge and appreciation at your disposal to grow roses.

but, you're still old.

Well, can't say i can agree with you there Mr Joe, I see young ones out in the garden helping Mumma or Pappa all the time around me, it also surprises me, that many younger Thai's seem to have a good knowledge of gardening and plants.... they may not use western practices, but seem to get out and get their hands in the "dirt".... dry.png

Now.... with western kids... well I think you are right though! smile.pngsad.png

As for roses being for old people.... your time will come! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

my time is gonna come, but only in the form of a led zepplin song!

who's that? blink.png

I found that fertilizer chemical supply shop south of Nanthon today... it's beyond the Raja ferry turn off, just before the new Chevrolet dealership... turn left and up about 50 metres on right ..... (there used to be a 7-11 there on the corner, that is why I've not found it in over a year! ) The 7-11 is on other side of street now... huh.png

They sell some fertilizer in 3 kg bags, and the 1/2 kg bags, most shops nurseries sell for 50 baht, there's was 35 baht....smile.png various formulations... I think the 3 kg bags were 200 baht.

Huge assortment of chemicals, some of which have been banned in the west for years, shock1.gif .... some I've no idea what they are.... I don't wish to find out either!

Hello All

I have quite a few square meters of Malay Grass , that looked wonderful when it was laid as turf but on the recent pictures i have it was looking very sparse and can see gaps of up to a few cm between some patches. From what i can gather the grass has not been cut frequently enough and in order to maintain some thickness and to promote growth it should be cut frequently and given fertilizer. Pls can anyone give some suggestions as i do not want to have to go back to patches and have to re turf. Just general suggestions and type of fertilizer and how frequent would be a great help.

thanks

Nirvana

Hello All

I have quite a few square meters of Malay Grass , that looked wonderful when it was laid as turf but on the recent pictures i have it was looking very sparse and can see gaps of up to a few cm between some patches. From what i can gather the grass has not been cut frequently enough and in order to maintain some thickness and to promote growth it should be cut frequently and given fertilizer. Pls can anyone give some suggestions as i do not want to have to go back to patches and have to re turf. Just general suggestions and type of fertilizer and how frequent would be a great help.

thanks

Nirvana

Hi Nirvana,

Good question....

I think you have realized part of the problem, in it not being cut, as that would help. Frequency of cutting can depend on weather, (amount of rain etc) .... I would say I cut mine about five times a year... closer together when rainy season here...

Part of the problem could also depend on the soil below, if very sandy, it's not going to be as strong if the soil has a but of "fibre" to it... If it is sandy it could help to top dress with some bags of the soil they sell here and rake it over evenly and then water it in.... perhaps 1/2" thick... more if very sandy...

If your bare patches are large and you want to fill in quickly, you could do two ways....

1. Dig out some plugs from the better areas .... and water in, fill in those holes with some soil!!!! and then keep moist for a week or two... (just sprinkle enough to damp down, a few times a day.... especially if it hot and dry...or windy ....)

2. Buy a piece or two of new grass (same type) from nursery, and then make the plugs... or just use a few pieces of turf if gaps large enough... but do as above and keep moist (not soaking wet!!!)

When I did my lawn I made about 5-6" plugs and planted about 9" apart in a staggered pattern. It filled in with a month or so... smile.png

You could add some 8 24 24 fertilizer (yellow colour prills) ...as a boost to start.... but quite honestly I don't think necessary to fertilize grass here.... just means you will have to cut it more often! sad.png ....

It seems to stay green enough usually, it might brown out in the really hot season, a little.... but seems to come back.. only watering when it's hot a dry until it is established .... I think depends on whether you have a good water supply....

This would apply to both types of grass they use here....

Hope that helps!

Edited by samuijimmy

As for roses being for old people.... your time will come! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

...I KNEW it! So mine has come. Who would have thought so - I am only 32. Since 2011, I am definitely hooked up on roses. I want to cook rose leaf jelly, however all those lice we get are just not yummy. Fighting them off with chemicals isn't either. Neither is the liquid manure made from garlic or nettle which we use for sending bugs home.

All the best for your roses, Jimmy!

...I KNEW it! So mine has come. Who would have thought so - I am only 32. Since 2011, I am definitely hooked up on roses. I want to cook rose leaf jelly, however all those lice we get are just not yummy. Fighting them off with chemicals isn't either. Neither is the liquid manure made from garlic or nettle which we use for sending bugs home.

All the best for your roses, Jimmy!

Hello GP ... was wondering why you had taken leave....ermm.gif

Way back in earlier discussions we talked about a mix / concoction using garlic etc... to control pests... the biggest problem in trying to kill the bad ones, we kill the good ones too... with trying to work with good cultural practices... most things will actually take care of them selves... although some times not! as with my veggies that got eaten over night.... ohmy.png

But I think people have to learn to deal with a few holes in leaves etc, and try to let the good insects eat the bad ones... and try only use pesticides in extreme cases... and less harmful ones too... Western countries have banned many chemicals, it's a bit shocking to see what's still available here... (or in developing countries... not just Thailand) ...

Anyway! ......I am going "fishing" for a few weeks... actually headed to the Jungles of Borneo, to seek out the worlds largest flower... it's supposed to bloom at this time of year! unsure.png ..... and of course see what else is different down there... smile.png

I'll have my laptop with me, so will try to check in once in a while! thumbsup.gif

I was hibernating...missed you though, so I woke up again happy.png

Wow, Borneo sounds great! What flower is that, this one? http://www.google.de...lNozItAauw93fDA (I mean the Rafflesia arnoldii)

Botanic gardens send out notifications when this flower is in bloom, and you just go to the jungle and seek out wild ones? I am sooo envious!

Edited by GermanPrimrose

Way back in earlier discussions we talked about a mix / concoction using garlic etc... to control pests... the biggest problem in trying to kill the bad ones, we kill the good ones too... with trying to work with good cultural practices... most things will actually take care of them selves... although some times not! as with my veggies that got eaten over night.... ohmy.png

But I think people have to learn to deal with a few holes in leaves etc, and try to let the good insects eat the bad ones... and try only use pesticides in extreme cases... and less harmful ones too... Western countries have banned many chemicals, it's a bit shocking to see what's still available here... (or in developing countries... not just Thailand) ...

Letting the good ones eat the bad ones is actually a principle that even manufacturers of insecticides etc. have turned to: They often sell nematodes, too. I once used some that ate the larvae of "my" fungus gnat/sciarid and died when they found no more food. That was actually pretty funny: I got a little plastic bag full of dry stuff, mixed it with water and poured this mix onto my pots. No need of gloves or nosepins, and no new pest to control! GREAT!

I collect ladybugs in spring (the local ones, not the new Asian species) and put them on the lice. The offspring of those ladybugs fights the lice pretty well. Another good thing are the lists available on the www telling people what veg to plant in groups so that certain pests are not attracted in the first place, e.g. basil in between cabbage rows in order to prevent the white fly.

As a hobby gardener, it's proven useful to learn which uninvited guests are harmless but don't look it. For example, I found that this pretty slug doesn't eat my plants: http://www.google.de...biw=960&bih=482

Do you have it, too?

Greetz

GP

Edited by GermanPrimrose

I was hibernating...missed you though, so I woke up again happy.png

Wow, Borneo sounds great! What flower is that, this one? http://www.google.de...lNozItAauw93fDA (I mean the Rafflesia arnoldii)

Botanic gardens send out notifications when this flower is in bloom, and you just go to the jungle and seek out wild ones? I am sooo envious!

Well, here I am in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah State, Malaysia... sharpening up the machetti to head in the jungle in next day or two... apparently two locations to see this plant... Rafflesia.... funny every Malaysian person I ask about this plant, knows its Latin name....and knows how to get to it! It's up in the hills, so I expect to find other plants like Fuchsia's and stuff we can grow in cooler climates....

Coastal climate here and in coastal areas of Brunei, is much the same as Samui / southern Thailand... so not seen much "new" yet!

I hear you guys have rain.... sunny here.... well at least I don't have to worry about my garden not getting watered!!!!

thumbsup.gifsmile.png

Hello All

thanks

Nirvana

Hi Nirvana,

Good question....

I think you have realized part of the problem, in it not being cut, as that would help. Frequency of cutting can depend on weather, (amount of rain etc) .... I would say I cut mine about five times a year... closer together when rainy season here...

Part of the problem could also depend on the soil below, if very sandy, it's not going to be as strong if the soil has a but of "fibre" to it... If it is sandy it could help to top dress with some bags of the soil they sell here and rake it over evenly and then water it in.... perhaps 1/2" thick... more if very sandy...

If your bare patches are large and you want to fill in quickly, you could do two ways....

1. Dig out some plugs from the better areas .... and water in, fill in those holes with some soil!!!! and then keep moist for a week or two... (just sprinkle enough to damp down, a few times a day.... especially if it hot and dry...or windy ....)

2. Buy a piece or two of new grass (same type) from nursery, and then make the plugs... or just use a few pieces of turf if gaps large enough... but do as above and keep moist (not soaking wet!!!)

When I did my lawn I made about 5-6" plugs and planted about 9" apart in a staggered pattern. It filled in with a month or so... smile.png

You could add some 8 24 24 fertilizer (yellow colour prills) ...as a boost to start.... but quite honestly I don't think necessary to fertilize grass here.... just means you will have to cut it more often! sad.png ....

It seems to stay green enough usually, it might brown out in the really hot season, a little.... but seems to come back.. only watering when it's hot a dry until it is established .... I think depends on whether you have a good water supply....

Hope that helps!

Thanks Jimmy

But am i right in understand correctly 5 times a year you cut ? My grass will grow pretty long within 3 weeks. As i understood it if you do not cut it , it grows taller and weaker and thinner and this creates more gaps as it does not knit together. Is this wrong understanding?. Noted on the patches but that would leave me ordering a lot as you knw what its like once you start. A bit like painting a dirty wall white.

Nirvana

Hello All

thanks

Nirvana

Hi Nirvana,

Good question....

Hope that helps!

Thanks Jimmy

But am i right in understand correctly 5 times a year you cut ? My grass will grow pretty long within 3 weeks. As i understood it if you do not cut it , it grows taller and weaker and thinner and this creates more gaps as it does not knit together. Is this wrong understanding?. Noted on the patches but that would leave me ordering a lot as you knw what its like once you start. A bit like painting a dirty wall white.

Nirvana

HI Nirvana,,,

Well it depends on your soil and how often you water it... mine is in reasonable "soil", for the area..... and I don't water it ... so it' tends to "brown out" a little, during long dry spells.... If your soil is sandy then it won't do quite so well.... and will get sparse looking....

I would leave the clippings after being cut... I know that can look a little messy, for a few days, but it will help add some organic matter to soil... Ideally a mulching blade would be better but not seen them here....

I admit mine can look a little ragged some times.... but it is pretty full after two years or is it three??? Since I planted. it..... perhaps I should do more often! mellow.png Always other things to do....!

i have to cut my lawn once each week. i do make sure it gets watered at least every two or three days though because there isn't any topsoil to speak of. follow the general guidelines, raise the mower blade to its highest location, don't cut more than a third of the blade of grass etc.

if i was in the states i would give my lawn a real soaking very early in the morning but with no topsoil here, all that would do is exacerbate the problem. ten or fifteen minutes with a hose in the evening is enough. once each month i leave the bag off of the mower and cut very slowly so that the mower blade has a few extra chances to chop up leaves and grass which are then left on the lawn for improving the soil, since as jimmy mentioned ^^ there aren't any mulching blades around. if possible, i will do this "mulching" cut when i know it is going to rain soon.

i've got an awesome lawn to show for it, if i do say so myself haha. feels great to walk around my lawn barefoot, and it also makes for a great place for all of my kids to play soccer/badminton and just chase each other around.

i have to cut my lawn once each week. i do make sure it gets watered at least every two or three days though because there isn't any topsoil to speak of. follow the general guidelines, raise the mower blade to its highest location, don't cut more than a third of the blade of grass etc.

if i was in the states i would give my lawn a real soaking very early in the morning but with no topsoil here, all that would do is exacerbate the problem. ten or fifteen minutes with a hose in the evening is enough. once each month i leave the bag off of the mower and cut very slowly so that the mower blade has a few extra chances to chop up leaves and grass which are then left on the lawn for improving the soil, since as jimmy mentioned ^^ there aren't any mulching blades around. if possible, i will do this "mulching" cut when i know it is going to rain soon.

i've got an awesome lawn to show for it, if i do say so myself haha. feels great to walk around my lawn barefoot, and it also makes for a great place for all of my kids to play soccer/badminton and just chase each other around.

Thanks . I will combine this advise and hopefully have some success, but its a large area indeed to get right..

Nirvana

tell me about it. i've got roughly 3,000sq ft of lawn, so that "10 or 15 minutes" from each place i stand and water with the hose, added up equates to the time it takes me to drink two large bottles of beer. it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

tell me about it. i've got roughly 3,000sq ft of lawn, so that "10 or 15 minutes" from each place i stand and water with the hose, added up equates to the time it takes me to drink two large bottles of beer. it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

That is the most relaxing thing for me in the afternoons, pure heaven.

• Like 1

Hi all, I'm new to this having only moved to Samui a few months ago. I've read this whole thread, very useful advice, thanks to everyone. I have a question - when I lived in Bangkok 15 years ago, I had a small tree (about 3 metres) which flowered about three times a year, lots of small white flowers with an incredibly strong jasmine-like scent. I'd love to find it again to plant here - anyone have any idea what it could be?

Hi all, I'm new to this having only moved to Samui a few months ago. I've read this whole thread, very useful advice, thanks to everyone. I have a question - when I lived in Bangkok 15 years ago, I had a small tree (about 3 metres) which flowered about three times a year, lots of small white flowers with an incredibly strong jasmine-like scent. I'd love to find it again to plant here - anyone have any idea what it could be?

very likely it's the wrightia religiosa that jimmy id'd for me. does the tree itself look pretty thin and ragged, not much to look at but very fragrant tightly grouped white flowers in the evening? or is it more tree like, with a bit more sturdy trunk and the large green leaves turn red/gold each year and the flower clusters are probably nearly one foot long and fragrant all day? that's a fiddlewood, i have some of each in my yard.

sounds like the wrightia religiosa - many thanks!

If you find it, and price it, could you post again please? Been thinking about them for a while. Best place I can think of that might have them is the Maenam place, on the left, just after the traffic lights heading towards Nathon. Cheers.

Edited by itishothere

sounds like the wrightia religiosa - many thanks!

If you find it, and price it, could you post again please? Been thinking about them for a while. Best place I can think of that might have them is the Maenam place, on the left, just after the traffic lights heading towards Nathon. Cheers.

you can find them at just about any nursery because they use them at every temple, around most schools and public buildngs etc. they have some for sale at the nathon market going on right now on the beach road. i didn't get a price last night though. might go back tonight though because they had some nice trees in there for sale.

Well its all over for the while Jimmy ! put yer bloody hat back on lololol

I had 3 tomato plants between 3 and 4 ft high, a few small green toms about size of those in JOE's thumbnail.

They had to be kept watered constantly due to the rubbish soil at soi Buddha Beach mostly sand. I did a minimum of prep hence the moisture struggle. used orchid fertilizer ( potassium etc) but failed to use plenty of Elephant manure or Dolomite. So when i restart i will take much more care with soil prep as i am sure that climate is not the problem. However i had to go away for week and when i came back the plants were just drooping, my watering landlord thought every couple of days would do, if that ?........mai pen lai........they were too far gone to recover. I am going over to Surat in next couple of days so will call in at the Thai Dolomite Co and get some of that also. Only problem now , is when to sow more seeds.

Edited by oldsailor35

errrr well mate for 2 large beers every 15 mins , i could spare you an hour or two

well it should be getting hotter and hotter for a while so i'm not planting any more tomatoes for a few months. corn, pumpkins, cukes etc would do well though.

and if you can drink 2 large beers every 15 minutes for an hour or two, well then you are a machine. i'd be passed out in the grass somewhere...

well it should be getting hotter and hotter for a while so i'm not planting any more tomatoes for a few months. corn, pumpkins, cukes etc would do well though.

and if you can drink 2 large beers every 15 minutes for an hour or two, well then you are a machine. i'd be passed out in the grass somewhere...

Gotta be honest mate..............just bragging !

Gotta be honest mate..............just bragging !

it's not bragging if it's true

As for the Bougainvillea and your quote:

"Thanks; I'll let it run rampant for a bit. But it should be flowering over the last two months shouldn't it?"

You are correct, they have been blooming for a couple of months... I sheared & pruned mine back, around January or early February & soon the new growth started to produce buds & have been blooming for a while now.

They do like dry conditions too, (well drained soil) interestingly the one I planted that gets little water, is doing much better than the ones that are in reach of the daily watering.

I just love the multicolored grafted Bougainvillea, I must try doing that one day!

Actually - I'm pretty sure that bougainvillea don't bloom or have "buds" or flowers - take a closer look! The coloured "flowers" are actually the end group of leaves known as "bracts". These are what have the many and various colours. There is a flower - but it's tiny and white and hidden in the middle of the colourful bracts.

And the other point to note is that these won't come into colour unless the plant has at least 6 hours direct sun every day. (I have a gigantic bush that's higher than my house - the only parts of it with colour are the areas that catch max sunlight . . .)

R

post-4665-0-10489400-1328926482_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

• 2 weeks later...

I'mmmmm Back!

I've walked miles around a couple of Botanical gardens around Borneo and also seen the flowers common to many from cooler climates in higher elevations... and about froze to death doing so!

I did see a Rafflesia after driving 750 kms before seeing a sign ...! paid me money and there it was... not as large as I thought, about 30 cm (12") but gather they can reach 90 cm... I also saw the world's largest lily pad ....

The lowers areas of Sabah Borneo, and Brunei are very similar climate to ours here on Samui, KP & KT the higher areas same as parts of northern Thailand... So I've seen Agapanthus (one of my favorite plants from the cold white north!) Roses, Begonias, Fuchsias, Hydrangeas...etc etc... all stuff that just not do that well here on the islands...

I learned a lot, it's never ending learning about plants and gardening... so hope to pass on info as and when needed... along with some photos... once I sort them!blink.png

Good to see a few people holding up the shovel and not just leaning on it!... or falling on their faces drinking beer while watering their Toms or Lawn! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Rob is correct about the Bougainvillea, the flowers inside the bracts, as with Poinsettias...

Mine are blooming lovely right now... but oh my has everything grown... out with the chopper soon! ... had to cut the lawn today too... second time this year! ohmy.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chuckle. just done a quick search to see if the topic has been touched on before and got lots of results about computers . . .

Found myself yesterday missing the glorious colours of flaming red acer trees.

But they only get their colours when the seasons (what seasons!) change and autumn comes. This being a tropical clime the quessie is - will maples grow on Samui.

(One of my big boy tomato plants has struggled up to about 14 inches so far . . .)

My feeling is (after an hour on Google that didn't really help) that maples need a temperate climate.

So can anybody hazard an knowledgeable answer - or should I move to Chiang Mai (which I was wondering about doing anyway . . .)(But I''d need to have socks n pullies n things . . .)

Rob