Gardening On The Islands

Can't say I have seen it at Home Mart Maenam, but you may have to look in the back rooms...?

Take a piece of cloth with you so they know what you want... green 50% or black 75 % shade.. I always get mine in pre-cut sizes at Tesco.

There is a General supply shop just down Soi 4 towards the sea, you might try too... but I think more fishing netting... ? Not been in there for a while... I think the second general store, on the right.

Tried Home Mart, no luck there, not tried Maenam Traders yet tho, if not i will have a browse around Naton. Thanks everybody for suggestions.

I just heard today, that Surratthannii's Provincial flower Raffleasia kerrii now blooming at Khao Sok Provincial Park....

Anyone wanting to beat their way through the jungle, now is the time! .... It may be blooming for only two weeks! (or less!)

I'm told the weather in the area is OK right now!

Hope to have some pics when I get back!!!

Link for anyone who might be interested ! wink.png

http://www.khaosok.c...a-rafflesia.htm

Edited by samuijimmy

Found the Shade cloth at Maenam Trading. 35 bht per mtr, roll is 2 mtr wide.

I know that you are sorted for now, but another place that sell all types of cloth/netting etc by the metre is the builders merchant on the road from Big Buddha to Choengmon. Coming from Big Buddha - on the left before the petrol station near Choengmon. Next to the new latex place

I just heard today, that Surratthannii's Provincial flower Raffleasia kerrii now blooming at Khao Sok Provincial Park....

Anyone wanting to beat their way through the jungle, now is the time! .... It may be blooming for only two weeks! (or less!)

Angiud is there now with his camera.

Angiud is there now with his camera.

Yes we meet up.... successful trip except the butterflies were no co-operating for him! w00t.gif

But we both climbed a mountain, slashed through the jungle to find what we were both looking for!.... thumbsup.gif ...just about killed both of us! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Here it is Surrathannii's Provincial flower Raffleasia Kerryii

Raffleasia%2520Hunt%2520Khao%2520Sok%2520Jan%252019%252C%25202556%2520BE%252010-041.JPG

Close up....

IMG_0176.JPG

It's an easy drive from Donsak...Khao Sok is a beautiful area.... well worth spending a few days !!! thumbsup.gif

There are more images in the Photography forum ....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612428-raffleasia-in-bloom-now-at-khao-sok-np/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Repotted my chilli today.

In the background there's two more batches, I'm trying to plant every month to see what season is best.

wow slow!!! you first posted on 2012-12-09 at 32 days old, when you first re-potted them wink.png

Funny I was thinking about how they were coming along, today.... and here you post the progress !!!

I have not seen people around me, planting chillies, yet.... just beans, squash,dill, cilantro etc, all coming along nicely...

Keep us posted! Maybe you can give samples at next TV party~!!!! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

wow slow!!! you first posted on 2012-12-09 at 32 days old, when you first re-potted them wink.png

Funny I was thinking about how they were coming along, today.... and here you post the progress !!!

I have not seen people around me, planting chillies, yet.... just beans, squash,dill, cilantro etc, all coming along nicely...

Keep us posted! Maybe you can give samples at next TV party~!!!! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

They should be twice the size by now and giving fruit, instead they are dying. :(

Third time I tried to grow Habaneros, same result.

I planted some piri-piri now and they seem to like the climate.

My Jalapeños worked out good, and have given fruit for a month now but very small compared to the ones you can get from Chiang Mai.

How often are you repotting? I wonder if you are getting root rot. Perhaps the soil is too rich

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry SBK - my mind boggled when I read this. It was only later that I realised that I was in the gardening section. whistling.gif

oh dear!!!! Tropo, what are you smoking today!!! biggrin.pngtongue.png

It could be a number of things causing this, soil drainage could be one, looking at the last picture of the plants .... it looks like "garden dirt" which does seem to work with somethings, but not everything! w00t.gif

I think sharp "river sand" would help, perhaps too, small chunks of coconut husks... roots need air too! wink.png (especially in pots!)

When I used the bagged soil which is mostly coconut fibre, I usually add sand... Just using a clay type soil and sand would harden too much also !~

The other thing I noticed the locals do on their young local chillies is have them under shade cloth, until ready to plant out to the ground....

More pictures might be useful....PS!!! thumbsup.gif

Probably obvious, 50% sand will dry out very quickly.... so you need to watch that too... I'd suggest trying 25% with some chunky fibre!

Edited by samuijimmy

How often are you repotting? I wonder if you are getting root rot. Perhaps the soil is too rich

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry SBK - my mind boggled when I read this. It was only later that I realised that I was in the gardening section. whistling.gif

oh dear!!!! Tropo, what are you smoking today!!! biggrin.pngtongue.png

Hi Jimmy - not smoking anything (never have). Apologies - I just ended up in the wrong forum. wai.gifsorry.gifofftopic2.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by and checked on PS's chilly plants today.... as suspected a little too wet and soil a little heavy in the pots! w00t.gif

Seedlings are a little like babies, they need special care until fairly well established... even then it differs with different plants.... Anyway some suggestions made... we'll look forward to future reports! whistling.gifsmile.png

Here is my Italian basil, (must have missed a few holes! But this did well for me a few years back, so hope to produce a bit of Pesto, later in the year!

Garden%2520%2520Feb%252023%252C%25202556

Here's my part of my patch freshly dug...for the third time, just hope all the weeds are now gone!

I am not sure what else to plant in it yet! .... There is ginger at the back there! Nice to have a bit of rain of late... makes for easier digging! thumbsup.gif

Garden%2520%2520Feb%252023%252C%25202556

• Like 1

I had a wonderful Basil plant, it ended up being a perennial and developed a woody stem and all. Went to visit my mother in the US for a few months when she was unwell, came back and it was dead -- nobody had bothered to water it during the hot dry season. I was devastated, used to make the best pesto out of it. sad.png

oldsailor35

• Posted 53 minutes ago

Yes, i know it is said that Tomatoes will not grow on Samui. Possibly because the soil is sandy shit and nearly non-existent. Some say that it is too hot, but that is not entirely true.

I made up my own soil an planted a seed of the Grosse Lisse variety about 9 weeks ago. I now have a plant about one and a half meters high. Now this is an experiment to find out how much water etc is needed, and i do not expect to get any fruit this time. The reason being is that Tomatoes need an ideal temp of between 24Cel & 29Cel., at first flowering. Next month we will be up in the 30's so i do not expect any fruit. All going well i will start again in about october/november and try again using what i have learned.

Its now Feb and the hottest months are just around the corner. Surely one does not expect plants which grow in temps aound 24 cel max to survive or produce in temps of 34 Cel plus.

Flip your calendar old chap biggrin.png ... it's now March 2 !!!!! rolleyes.gif

It's the night time temperatures not the day time temps.... (pounding head against the wall) whistling.giflaugh.png and I don't think we can blame the soil either Rooo! .... that's a coup out ! tongue.png

Toms grow well in 90 to 100 degree daytime heat ... coffee1.gifbiggrin.png

I can only base my knowledge of that from the semi arid areas of the Okanagan area of British Colombia with crappy soil, where it can get well over 35c a huge area for growing field tomatoes and southern Ontario....gets hot hot hot too! (and more humid than here! w00t.gif )

Ask any Canuck! eh!

Its now Feb and the hottest months are just around the corner. Surely one does not expect plants which grow in temps aound 24 cel max to survive or produce in temps of 34 Cel plus.

It's the night time temperatures not the day time temps.... (pounding head against the wall) whistling.giflaugh.png and I don't think we can blame the soil either Rooo! .... that's a coup out ! tongue.png

I can only base my knowledge of that from the semi arid areas of the Okanagan area of British Colombia with crappy soil, where it can get well over 35c a huge area for growing field tomatoes and southern Ontario....gets hot hot hot too! (and more humid than here! w00t.gif )

Ask any Canuck! eh!

OK Jimmy thats what you believe..............i don't however.

Ask any Canuck! eh!

OK Jimmy thats what you believe..............i don't however.

What that is March 2nd ! tongue.png

Well if you speaking of Toms perhaps give another reason why they won't produce here.... not all the soil is sandy crap....

I have some pretty decent soil at my place (I've tried several times and so have my neighbours, they never produce a crop worth anything! ) also if you drive around the island you do

not see fields of Toms growing.... and some areas have soil even better than mine...

Even the hydroponic places don't bother... that's a huge crop hydroponically grown in some countries wink.png

The shop that always seems to have the best grade of Tomatoes is a stall atthe Bophut market, in the middle isle 2/3 rd the way down.. He has no dirt either.... but best Toms you'll find, usually on Samui !!! ... Easier than
trying to grow~ wink.pngThe only other factor that may cause problems trying to grow them here is length of daylight....? Look forward to seeing anyone here who can grow a decent Hybrid tomato .... I am not going to hold my breath ! whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

It's now very hot! In case no one has noticed! wink.png

I am finding that my pot plants are needing a good soak both morning and late afternoon.... also the newly planted need to be watched careful.... drooping leaves is always a good sign of drying out... young plants are less tolerant than established ones! ...

Plants in the garden will give you the same warning signs.... although generally anything that has been in the ground over a year, should be more tolerant... but that can depend on the soil...

So perhaps time to alter the daily schedule and water more often... a good soak is better than a quick sprinkle! wink.png

I just planted out chillies and Italian basil a few days ago.... having to watch them closely until they set in....

It must be time for PS's update on his efforts with chillies! thumbsup.gif

Not so much success, same as my lady gardener friend, she got the Habaneros growing but don't giving fruit.

But she surprised me with rwo plants she got from her garden supplier two pots with green chillies for 50 baht each.

Each pot when delivered had already 30-40 fruits.

Tasted only the orange one(rest green so far), Habaneros class.. fry.gif

Looks good in a garden and some extra spice for dinner.

Have still some job to identify the chilli sort but looks like this (so far only one that's not green fruit)

(pic taken from internet)

numex-twilight-chilli-pepper-seeds.jpg

Not so much success, same as my lady gardener friend, she got the Habaneros growing but don't giving fruit.

But she surprised me with rwo plants she got from her garden supplier two pots with green chillies for 50 baht each.

Each pot when delivered had already 30-40 fruits.

Tasted only the orange one(rest green so far), Habaneros class.. fry.gif

Looks good in a garden and some extra spice for dinner.

Have still some job to identify the chilli sort but looks like this (so far only one that's not green fruit)

(pic taken from internet)

numex-twilight-chilli-pepper-seeds.jpg

As soon as I saw that picture I knew it was not yours PS !!! biggrin.pngthat would be too fast....!!!! wink.png

Mine are very slow to get moving too (both types) in the ground... I should build a frame and cover with shade cloth, this heat lately dries out the ground too much for the small roots! But they are holding up, just not growing!

IMG_7950.JPG

Just after planting... two weeks ago or so...

Italian Basil is doing better! Lots of un-planted seedlings of Italian Basil, going spare if anyone wants, PM me!