Gardening On The Islands

hey Jimmy, neem is a fungicide as well but like anything else it can only prevent from the start or stop something in its tracks. if your plant or tree is already damaged, nothing is going to reverse it. better to get the neem/vinegar on the plant first and then prune it to be sure.

apple cider vinegar which i mentioned above is also a fungicide. not more than 1 or at most 2 tbsp per gallon of water though or else you end up with an herbicide.

i remember more than a year or so ago asking around in here for neem oil and it was astonishingly difficult to find for something that turned out to be so readily available. have a large tree near my house. i don't buy neem at any nurseries any more because they tend to mix it with growth hormone in one case or other insecticides in others. i just want neem (sadao) and i'll address the other issues when and if they present themselves.

if you can get the fruit, that's perhaps the best and strongest to use but the leaves in my experience work very well too. in fact the next time i start a garden project here the mulch will be primarily neem leaves.

keeping your soil healthy and alive is the best cure for any disease.

Some good points there again Joe, and just to mention your point yesterday about watering plants in the morning is certainly a good thing... or if plants a desperate for water later in the day, avoid wetting the foliage... especially on plants like: Canna Lilies, Roses. Coleus, Fragipanii etc... (plants more prone to fungal attacks) ... a good soak at the base of plants is always better than a quick sprinkle.....

For general information : Newly planted plants require much more watering than established ones... pot grown plants dry out much more quickly because of the medium used, for potting media, which is usually coconut fibre based or rice husks. (depending where plants come from and locally available medium).

I asked a Thai gardener today about Sadoa, we were actually standing under a huge Sadoa tree...

He said to boil leaves and or fruit in large pot and leave for 24 hours, then use a larger container (garbage can, "Dust bin" to the Brits!!!dry.png ) and fill with water and pour in the boiled mixture... straining off .... then let sit for a week... as you say, the fruit would probable produce a stronger mix ...

I asked about using as a fungicide but did not get a clear answer.... Everything was referred to as "Bacteria".... obviously a word he'd learned to cover all basis of deceases what ever they be or insect attacks ....

But your point on Apple cider vinegar is worth a try..... not come across that before as a fungicide... I certainly agree prevention is better and easier than trying to cure... Cleaning pruning tools with bleach is a good idea after working of deceased plants... and moving on to different plants. Sounds like vinegar may do the same thing...???

A number years ago, there was a "push" on using Vinegar with some salt and dish soap, to kill weeds... of course table salt will kill just about any plant .... I guess I never made the correct formulation, cos it never worked! ohmy.pngrolleyes.gif

Healthy soil is the cornerstone of healthy plants.... so many people tend to skip the step of soil improvement and preparation. Types of plants to suit the situation and general maintenance... weeding etc!

Of course preventing weeds going to seed helps prevent their spread... and making gardening a core! or a "flustercluck" of weedslaugh.png

hey Jimmy, neem is a fungicide as well but like anything else it can only prevent from the start or stop something in its tracks. if your plant or tree is already damaged, nothing is going to reverse it. better to get the neem/vinegar on the plant first and then prune it to be sure.

apple cider vinegar which i mentioned above is also a fungicide. not more than 1 or at most 2 tbsp per gallon of water though or else you end up with an herbicide.

i remember more than a year or so ago asking around in here for neem oil and it was astonishingly difficult to find for something that turned out to be so readily available. have a large tree near my house. i don't buy neem at any nurseries any more because they tend to mix it with growth hormone in one case or other insecticides in others. i just want neem (sadao) and i'll address the other issues when and if they present themselves.

if you can get the fruit, that's perhaps the best and strongest to use but the leaves in my experience work very well too. in fact the next time i start a garden project here the mulch will be primarily neem leaves.

keeping your soil healthy and alive is the best cure for any disease.

Some good points there again Joe, and just to mention your point yesterday about watering plants in the morning is certainly a good thing... or if plants a desperate for water later in the day, avoid wetting the foliage... especially on plants like: Canna Lilies, Roses. Coleus, Fragipanii etc... (plants more prone to fungal attacks) ... a good soak at the base of plants is always better than a quick sprinkle.....

For general information : Newly planted plants require much more watering than established ones... pot grown plants dry out much more quickly because of the medium used, for potting media, which is usually coconut fibre based or rice husks. (depending where plants come from and locally available medium).

I asked a Thai gardener today about Sadoa, we were actually standing under a huge Sadoa tree...

He said to boil leaves and or fruit in large pot and leave for 24 hours, then use a larger container (garbage can, "Dust bin" to the Brits!!!dry.png ) and fill with water and pour in the boiled mixture... straining off .... then let sit for a week... as you say, the fruit would probable produce a stronger mix ...

I asked about using as a fungicide but did not get a clear answer.... Everything was referred to as "Bacteria".... obviously a word he'd learned to cover all basis of deceases what ever they be or insect attacks ....

But your point on Apple cider vinegar is worth a try..... not come across that before as a fungicide... I certainly agree prevention is better and easier than trying to cure... Cleaning pruning tools with bleach is a good idea after working of deceased plants... and moving on to different plants. Sounds like vinegar may do the same thing...???

A number years ago, there was a "push" on using Vinegar with some salt and dish soap, to kill weeds... of course table salt will kill just about any plant .... I guess I never made the correct formulation, cos it never worked! ohmy.pngrolleyes.gif

Healthy soil is the cornerstone of healthy plants.... so many people tend to skip the step of soil improvement and preparation. Types of plants to suit the situation and general maintenance... weeding etc!

Of course preventing weeds going to seed helps prevent their spread... and making gardening a core! or a "flustercluck" of weedslaugh.png

Can I please ask if vinegar or baking soda is best (or anything else) for dealing with rust on frangipani? Do I need to remove any leaves that have it already? I have several frangipanis suffering from this and so does a friend on hers. Many thanks

Can I please ask if vinegar or baking soda is best (or anything else) for dealing with rust on frangipani? Do I need to remove any leaves that have it already? I have several frangipanis suffering from this and so does a friend on hers. Many thanks

Well I'd say worth a try.... I've not done it....

Frangipani seem to vary a lot as to how much of the rust is present.... some seem more prone to getting it than others....

Some I've seen lately are clear of the it, others covered with it... huh.png location seems to affect the condition I think, in areas where there is a good breeze seems to have less rust... Some I see are leafless but have flowers.... I'm not sure if someone has just stripped of the foliage....???

Try cleaning up fallen or affected leaves too, that would generally help, as with any fungal deceases... (black spot on roses etc) ... Prevent spores ... Do not compose... either burn or send out with garbage!

If anyone has tried the vinegar or baking soda, will positive results.... be sure to post~!!! (Joe?)

Best HT roses I've seen on Samui! Looking strong and vibrant.... although having workers building around them does not make the area look it's best! (some had Black Spot, but that sort of goes with roses! sad.png)

But certainly one could tell they were better than most we see in the lower areas of any of the local islands....

The red flowering Heliconia looked pretty nice too!

Where you ask! ??

The new Big Buddha over looking Lamai... not that easy to get too, but confirms my point, they and some plants do need the cooler night temperatures which they would get up there!... I'm not sure of the elevation, but even at mid day, you could feel a slight chill in the air! wink.png

post-85461-0-40369300-1332670286_thumb.j

post-85461-0-04041700-1332670308_thumb.j

post-85461-0-63746300-1332670591_thumb.j

post-85461-0-72478200-1332670648_thumb.j

Getting back to the Neem (Sadoa) mixture... and for those who want to make it themselves... The boiling the Neem first, is a choice of whether you need to use it quickly, sitting it in water for a week in the hot sun, is a slower way of making it... but result is the same. From what I am told a good few handfuls of leaves or fruit.... in about a 50 litre plastic container.

But wait! ohmy.png

There is another plant ingredient !!! so I have been told, makes it even more effective...... but I have not been able to get the name in Thai or English .... hoping someone reading this who has a Thai Husband or wife can recognize it & help here..... ummmm .... (SBK?) .......

It's the plant pictured, a weed that seems to be quite common in "wild areas" presently about 9 -12 inches to tall (30 cm) The leaf is very bitter... to taste.... bah.gif and not to be confused with the plant that the locals use for constipation! ..... if you've a very sudden urge to "go" .... you have the wrong plant... providing you taste it of course! Be careful.... or ..... hit-the-fan.gifbiggrin.png

post-85461-0-94690400-1332849062_thumb.j

Well it's April 1 st! already! This is not an April fools joke!!! wink.png

It's nice to see a good steady rain this morning, at least in Maenam.... it kind of looks like it might be island wide? ....... Great for the garden plants... some plants have been showing signs of stress lately due to heat and a fairly long period without much rain... I've moved all my pot plants out from under the overhang to let them get a good soak too....

I think I mentioned this last year, but worth mentioning again.... if soil in pots or ground is very dry, it may resist taking up water...

A good trick is to squirt a little dish washing liquid, on to the soil ..... that will help the dry soil absorb water.... The other, but not so easy with larger pots in let them sit in water.... and watch until you see bubbles stop... ten or fifteen minutes.... depending on pot size .... a little hard on the back, especially with the larger clay pots! The water must be higher level than the soil... take out when bubbles stop.

Garden soil can also resist water, depending on its composition, the only way to check that is to dig down and see if water has penetrated down.... this is especially important on newly planted plants, where their roots have not grown into the existing soil .... either side ways or downwards... this can take several months, depending on the season.... adding compost or some coconut fibre and mixing with existing soil when planting helps.... but coconut fibre can dry out faster... and will while breaking down, take nitrogen from the soil, so an application of fertilizer will help. Initially 8 24 24 fertilizer would be better than 16 16 16 to help new root growth... If foliage yellowing slightly or "off green", they are showing signs of needing a feed.

Ideally something like 10 30 10 ratio would be better, to start with, but seems to be hard to find in this area...

You can buy water soluble 10 52 10 here, (or similar ratio) Make sure to use only if soil is moist.... first... (when applying any fertilizer!) If applying to foliage plants will take up about 20% of the fertilizer, therefore better to apply to root zone. Initially about every two weeks. ... 2 or 3 feeds.... then switch...to a different ratio.

Of course a good rain usually means a lot of new growth on plants, this will mean out with the pruning shears in a week or so! ohmy.png

Happy gardening...!

Greetings from the deep south (Hua Thanon).

Can anyone help identify the attached? Thanks.

Hello Chantra .... from the south!

Well it sure looks like a Pineapple to me.... there are many different types, same have large fruit some small, it's hard to tell at this point which it might be!!!!

But let it be for the time being... it's not ready yet! I am not very good on telling the correct timing to pick them, but the locals would now.... just ask a Thai!

The foliage looks a nice colour on yours! happy.png

When it is ready you can take the top of the fruit and plant it..... ! smile.png and eat the main part! ... hope that helps!

Edited by samuijimmy

Got a cutting from my hairdresser of a beautiful flower and it looks a bit like a dog rose, only the seedpod looks completely different. The plant

has spikes and loads of orange flowers. Any ideas?

post-5482-0-39358700-1333946800_thumb.jp

post-5482-0-91702800-1333946810_thumb.jp

Got a cutting from my hairdresser of a beautiful flower and it looks a bit like a dog rose, only the seedpod looks completely different. The plant

has spikes and loads of orange flowers. Any ideas?

I don't know this one, but I want one! wink.png

I just looked it up in my landscape book, and found it quiet easily:

It's family is Cactaceae.... so member of the cactus family...I would never have guessed that! ohmy.png

Latin name Pereskia bieo the book says "Kunth" which may be the variety name? No common name given. Sounds like " Poo-gam " in Thai....

Grows 2 to 3 metres x 1 to 2 metres (that would depend on pruning!!!)

Red or orange flowers...says it blooms all year round, needs very well drained soil....will not like sitting in water during the rainy season..... says also good for coastal areas....

I will ask around some of the nurseries to see if easily available.... otherwise we want to know where your hairdresser is! biggrin.png

^^^

A friend has one in her garden. Stunning!! It is about 1.5m tall and seems to survive very well unattended. Gets a lot of sunlight and is on a slight incline. Might pop round one evening when she is out and take the scissors with me.ph34r.png

^^^

A friend has one in her garden. Stunning!! It is about 1.5m tall and seems to survive very well unattended. Gets a lot of sunlight and is on a slight incline. Might pop round one evening when she is out and take the scissors with me.ph34r.png

Get one for me too! biggrin.png

Perhaps if I see one in real life I will recognize it ... yes that was another thing it said, full sun location! wink.pngincline would be good.... but don't slip on the slope in the dark! cool.pngph34r.png

I would never have thought it to be a cactus! No wonder I couldn't find it while browsing all the different varieties of roses smile.png

Thank you very much for all the help Jim! There's a lot of information on the internet and also found some common names

like Leaf Cactus, Rose Cactus and Wax Rose. It seems to be a medicinal plant and grows in the shady and moist forests of Central

America. But at my hairdresser it is in the full sun. I guess this is the plant for me and my not so green thumbsgiggle.gif

Last week got a new plant which I only knew from photos on the internet and I'm now the proud owner of a Black Bat Flower(Tacca chantrieri)!

Until know it seems to like me and is growing new flowers!

post-5482-0-86542100-1333983833_thumb.jp

I would never have thought it to be a cactus! No wonder I couldn't find it while browsing all the different varieties of roses smile.png

Thank you very much for all the help Jim! There's a lot of information on the internet and also found some common names

like Leaf Cactus, Rose Cactus and Wax Rose. It seems to be a medicinal plant and grows in the shady and moist forests of Central

America. But at my hairdresser it is in the full sun. I guess this is the plant for me and my not so green thumbsgiggle.gif

Last week got a new plant which I only knew from photos on the internet and I'm now the proud owner of a Black Bat Flower(Tacca chantrieri)!

Until know it seems to like me and is growing new flowers!

Neat plant there...the Black Bat Flower, so where did you find that? Not seen that before either! ....... I should get out more....biggrin.png

So many unusual plants around... we complain about not being able to grow what I call "Chaing Mai plants" because of our warm night temperatures ... but there is a host of plants available that do do well here... with a bit of TLC of course!

I was in the nursery just headed into Nanton (from Maenam) this morning, just past the ferry turn off and dare I say 7-11.... wink.png

They have some great orchids and other unusual plants in there, like Venus fly traps etc... "conversation plants".... that eat flies and other odd things! ohmy.pngsmile.png

I know that nursery in Nathon and they've got some beautiful orchids. Bought a venus fly trap a while ago but unfortunately it died this week sad.png

The black bat flower I bought from my gardener. She grows (and sells) plants and the other day I visited her garden and went home with this black bat flower and a passion flower that is growing like mad smile.png

Edited by mitmig

I know that nursery in Nathon and they've got some beautiful orchids. Bought a venus fly trap a while ago but unfortunately it died this week sad.png

The black bat flower I bought from my gardener. She grows (and sells) plants and the other day I visited her garden and went home with this black bat flower and a passion flower that is growing like mad smile.png

Oh dear!!!!.... guess not enough flies around to feed the Venus fly trap! smile.png but too, it probably won't like being in too much sun or drying out too much....

I had a Passion flower, it lasted a couple of years, I think suffered from having "wet feet" during one of the rainy seasons.... I forget where I found that now, but vines can be hard to find at the nurseries, I think because they need constant attention and tying up...

There are a number of vines blooming now, I came across what looks and smells, like a Honeysuckle, the other day...in a garden, that was the first time I seen one here... it's doing quite well....

I just down sized some images to upload here, but they seem to have gone south.... It's going to be one of those days! ohmy.pngrolleyes.gif

Are you talking about passion fruit vine? I had one, worst thing out, talk about invasive & you can never get rid of .

Well, I was meaning the blue flowering kind, assumed Mitmig was too?? .

The one with the story of Jesus, and crucifixion etc .... blah blah .... This one does have a fruit but is hollow in side... not much nutrition there! tongue.pngohmy.png

Will attempt to find a picture and post it with the others I was trying to do this morning! biggrin.png

Here is a bit of a mixed bag of pictures.... or "Pitcher plants and the Venus fly trap....At the Orchid nursery in Nanton, as mentioned before.

The vine (picture 3 ) is quiet interesting with its Pitcher plant like "flower" That has been blooming for a few weeks now, it seems quiet vigorous but not out of control! .... absolutely no idea of its name,.....or where it came from... HELP!

Image 4 is a Pitcher plant.(one of many types) ..... you do see some types growing in the wild occasionally.

The last image for Mr Rooo...... is the blue Passion Flower!... I think when I found mine, (that died) ..... it was at one of the nurseries on Koh Phangan....

post-85461-0-83393000-1334153087_thumb.j

post-85461-0-44296400-1334153128_thumb.j

post-85461-0-57014500-1334153159_thumb.j

post-85461-0-15245300-1334153190_thumb.j

post-85461-0-24680800-1334153563_thumb.j

Yep, that's how my venus fly trap used to look like, but I guess I drowned by giving it too much water sad.png Those pitcher plants are really beautiful. My gardener had a huge one growing up a tree. Can't help you with the id of that pitcher like flower, but it looks really nice. My passionflower has a different color and I wouldn't mind if I never get rid of it again smile.png

Update: I think I found the name of your pitcher like flower ... Aristolochia ringens

Aristolochia is a large plant genus with over 500 species. Collectively know as birthworts, pipevines or Dutchman's pipes. I like that last name, because as it happens I'm Dutch :)

post-5482-0-24615500-1334159022_thumb.jp

Edited by mitmig

Yep, that's how my venus fly trap used to look like, but I guess I drowned by giving it too much water sad.png Those pitcher plants are really beautiful. My gardener had a huge one growing up a tree. Can't help you with the id of that pitcher like flower, but it looks really nice. My passionflower has a different color and I wouldn't mind if I never get rid of it again smile.png

Update: I think I found the name of your pitcher like flower ... Aristolochia ringens

Aristolochia is a large plant genus with over 500 species. Collectively know as birthworts, pipevines or Dutchman's pipes. I like that last name, because as it happens I'm Dutch smile.png

Good on you, Mitmig for finding that name! thumbsup.gif thank you!... that sure looks the same... I have to say, when I start Google searches I tend to get side tracked... and forget what I started looking for....rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

Interesting you found a different colour of Passion flower...(which one?) I know there are several, we had a Garden Centre in Victoria B.C. Canada, that used to sell various colours, said they were "hardy" but the price was high and I never trusted the fact they would survive! .... (Victoria has very similar climate to London, UK) Here we have the opposite problem in being too warm at night for some plants to do well.... sad.png

Interesting you found a different colour of Passion flower...(which one?) sad.png

Guess you missed the photo of the my passionflower in my previous post ;)

I was completely in shock when I went to the hairdresser this morning ... she chopped the complete rose cactus :( It was growing in a pot, about 2.5 meters high and apparently it was to heavy so she chopped it right down! Was able to save some fruits, although I have no idea what to do with them. Just dry them and take the seeds out?

Interesting you found a different colour of Passion flower...(which one?) sad.png

Guess you missed the photo of the my passionflower in my previous post wink.png

I was completely in shock when I went to the hairdresser this morning ... she chopped the complete rose cactus sad.png It was growing in a pot, about 2.5 meters high and apparently it was to heavy so she chopped it right down! Was able to save some fruits, although I have no idea what to do with them. Just dry them and take the seeds out?

Opps yes I did... miss the picture....wub.png duh! ..... must have read the post before signing in!ph34r.png

Don't you just love the way they tend to hack things back here, out with the machete..... hack hack hack.....wacko.pngopens doors to disease and fungal attacks on some plants!

I am sure in no time the plant will grow back... not sure if seed will do anything... give it a go and let us know! smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are the third week of April, with a real mixed bag of weather... depending on location anything from light showers to heavy down pours....at least around Samui...

I've managed to get out and cut the grass and do some pruning of shrubs etc that have gotten out of control! ....... Also cut back weeds that quickly grow when rainy weather appears....

I think the creature I hate most in the garden is the menacing red ants.... they have been nesting lately in leaves of a number of different plants .... laying eggs by the thousands... my neighbours tell me the are worth 2000 baht a kilogram.... but they don't seem motivated to "harvest" them..... I have told them they are quiet welcome to remove them since every time I head out I get attacked by the little blitters w00t.gif

They don't sting but bit.... in all kinds of places the sun does not shine too....biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

So what bugs you in your garden? We seem to have many readers here, but few contributors! Come on don't be shy!

post-85461-0-43853700-1335064335_thumb.j

Those weaver ants are really mean and aggressive, but did you ever take a close look at the way they built their nest? It's so great to see how they all cooperate in weaving the nest and make it into some sort of rugby ball. Had loads of them in the mango trees in my previous house and I can't say I miss them. Now I only have to deal with picking up the leafs of the frangipani on a daily base :( No other bugs I have to admit because ... I love bugs! I even take photos of them while they are destroying my orchids and other flowers ;)

Ah! Weaver ants, yes that would describe them quiet well and forming a "rugby ball"..... that is what the picture was before getting poked!

I've found at least five nests lately.... sometimes when just pruning shrubs or vines.... they drive me crazy, especially when they drop into the grass or soil .... w00t.gif

There is another black ant that eats termites, which would be beneficial, so yes, killing off every type of bug would not be good...

Other bugs that I have seen lately are Praying Manthis (Good) Meally Bug... (not so good, but generally won't kill plants) and little Grass hoppers, which seem to eat holes in leaves at night...

I suppose the fact that plants and bugs have survived millions of years, that things usually do survive, we just need to live with plants that are not 100% perfect all of the time !

Having said that, some types of insects i.e. termites that eat wood, & need to be dealt with, especially in wood used for housing etc.

yes, those weaver ants seem to like mango trees - just had mine cut back a bit, and hundreds fell out. I felt sorry for the poor guy up the tree to do the pruning, he got covered with them. But my biggest hate is mealy bugs, they look so disgusting and seem to really go for my jatropha shrubs, one was so badly infested I had to cut it back to bare branches - but it's recovered well and so far no signs of the bugs back.

As mitmig says we have beautiful and fascinating insects too - I get turquoise damselflies around the pool, and of course the butterflies are lovely and the caterpillars have to eat something!

yes, those weaver ants seem to like mango trees - just had mine cut back a bit, and hundreds fell out. I felt sorry for the poor guy up the tree to do the pruning, he got covered with them. But my biggest hate is mealy bugs, they look so disgusting and seem to really go for my jatropha shrubs, one was so badly infested I had to cut it back to bare branches - but it's recovered well and so far no signs of the bugs back.

As mitmig says we have beautiful and fascinating insects too - I get turquoise damselflies around the pool, and of course the butterflies are lovely and the caterpillars have to eat something!

Yes lots of good insects.... so best not to "carpet spray" the whole garden....

Here is a recipe (worth repeating from 2010) for using on mealy bugs, seems to be a lot around right now... they always hit my Hibiscus.... seen a lot lately too. w00t.gif

To 4 Gallons of water

1/4 Cup of White Vinegar

1Tblspoon Baking Soda (BiCarb)

1Teaspoon Coconut Oil

1 Teaspoon Washing Up Liquid

1 Teaspoon Tabasco Sauce (or hot chilly peppers will do too... just watch your eyes)

Juice of 10 Crushed Garlic Cloves (use a sieve, so not to clog sprayer!)

Cutting out the mealy bugs is good, too.... does the pruning at the same time!!!! thumbsup.gif just can be a bit tedious if there is a lot of them! sad.png