Bangkok: 10+ Dead, Hundreds Hurt In Bangkok Clashes

webfact

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^well the red lad who had top of his head missing - pretty confident it was blown off. :)

But blown off by who? One of Abhisit's boys or one of Seh Dang's boys?

Definitely a sniper w/high powered rifle from above. No idea who did it.... maybe military or maybe reds, but I think I'd lean towards the military since I am sure they have special forces deployed. Special Force are meant to blend in with the crowds if need be.

We saw the video clip.

Over 800 killed and wounded in a minute. Thai snipers from the military firing from all sides.

You are OK with this?

It was self defense you say?

The video shows different.

The crowd was quiet and not attacking anyone.

Why are some of you defending it?

Are you paid to post?

Get we work for the Thai Elite and get paid too for lies?

And your proof of this statement?

Go on the net and seaarch and watch the video clip. Youtubes has it.

All of us here already did you know.

Too bad for you and your propaganda job.

You say something but others go and watch the truth.

I ask you what evidence do you have that the snipers come from the military? I have seen lot of clips too and i have seen man in black with weapons walking along with red shirts. And who trowh the granades???

I have never said that it was seh Daengs gang shoooting. On ly said that if it is a third part involved it can be his black wsarriors

We saw the video clip.

Over 800 killed and wounded in a minute. Thai snipers from the military firing from all sides.

You are OK with this?

It was self defense you say?

The video shows different.

The crowd was quiet and not attacking anyone.

Why are some of you defending it?

Are you paid to post?

Get we work for the Thai Elite and get paid too for lies?

No, someone getting shot like this in the head is not OK at all! One thing I'd like to know from you is, how you come to the conclusion that he was shot by a military sniper? He might have not even been shot by any sniper, but by a regular assault rifle from either side. There were quite a few on the red side and then he could have also been shot by one of Seh Daeng's or some other sicko's guys.

What the VDO shows is some poor guy, being at the wrong place at the wrong time. The worst thing is, some sick bastards were pushing and pushing for something like that to happen and once it was done, they even started parading the corpses around and even threaten to do more of this absolutely disgusting business of showing disrespect to the dead people they are responsible for!

^well the red lad who had top of his head missing - pretty confident it was blown off. :)

Definitely a sniper w/high powered rifle from above. No idea who did it.... maybe military or maybe reds, but I think I'd lean towards the military since I am sure they have special forces deployed. Special Force are meant to blend in with the crowds if need be.

And what would the army gain from that?

So is it acceptable to shoot 800 people?

Yes or no?

Your silence tells us you say YES.

Sick

If they are trying to derail the BTS with passengers on it, yes!

If they are throwing molotov cocktails into troops, yes!

If they are trying to burn down Bangkok with petrol bombs, yes!

If they are threatening the lives of their fellow Thai citizens, yes!

We saw the video clip.

You are OK with this?

Pack up another bowl and suck it down, then let us have another conspiracy theory! :):D :D :D

Go watch the video all and see how pathetic the denials here are.

800 wounded and over 10 dead.

The video shows the crowd was quiet and peaceful and then the shots began from all sides.

A planned and cold blooded murder of Thai people by a regime.

You want the truth?

Go watch and see. The clip is all over the web.

Headlines are from every nation and condemnations from all major governments are going to follow.

Airline tickets out for Farang are increasing in price.

Best to plan your getaways.

What I find interesting is the 'crackdown' is justified by many as been due to the undeniable fact the 'Reds' were breaking the law.

Has it suddenly become acceptable to begin executing random perpetrators, without trial, for breaking the law?

Ah, you mean like Thaksin did with his"war on drugs?"

You found that acceptable did you?..........takes all sorts I suppose!

So is it acceptable to shoot 800 people?

Yes or no?

Your silence tells us you say YES.

Sick

Try reading my posts or are you too lazy........ :) .........I have taken a non confrontational, no violence stance throughout these whole proceedings.......because maybe I just had a feeling where it was heading!!!.......no avoidable death is acceptable.

A balanced view would be, there are as usual, faults in the actions of both parties, nothing new.......nothing new that emotions start running high when the deaths start to occur either....subsequently human nature too is to apportion blame.......and human nature being what it is, if a person is on one side they appear to highlight the wrong doings of the other to justify their accusations.

Are you with me so far.......it is what it is.

And what would the army gain from that?

That is hands down the best question of the day!

We saw the video clip.

You are OK with this?

Pack up another bowl and suck it down, then let us have another conspiracy theory! :):D:D:D

The video shows the crowd was quiet and peaceful and then the shots began from all sides.

You want the truth?

Headlines are from every nation and condemnations from all major governments are going to follow.

I have seen lot of clips and I dont kn ow what clip you are talking about. I just ask you a simple question: How do you know the snipers from the army. Just answer that question.

People shouldn't underestimate the power of disinformation.

The disinformation which hurt the most the Red Shirt is about the allegations of corruption of Thaksin.

He is labelled as "Corrupted" so instantly relegated as the bad guy.

But as everything else, corruption is quantifiable.

People usually watch the superficial, official story and make up their mind with that. Corrupted=Bad.

The truth is much more subtle and complex than that.

The above is a total load of rubbish with no structure or credibility whatever. Nice attempt to make some people confused but it doesn't work. Corruption is coruup[tion is corruption! Please explain how it's more subtle. I say again, corruption is corruption, no matter how you try to spin it, corruption is corruption.

Just like the Temasek-Shin Corp deal. People think Thaksin evaded taxes illegally. It is false. The deal was legal. Where he did wrong was that he used his power and political influence to bend the law to allow a foreign company to own a telecommunication company of Thailand, which was impossible before.

So you admit that he abused his power and railroaded deliberste and deep changes in legislation (the investment laws of Thailand) to massively benefit himself and his family for one transaction. How can you on one hand say he abused his power and immediately say it is false that he evaded taxes. You can fool some people with clever word construcytion some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

The other corruption accusations.. his wife buying from the IFDF, the appointment of relatives to key positions, etc. Those are relatively bad, but also relatively harmless.

So your saying that breaking the law / displaying disgraceful ethics is OK if it's just small. But the reality is that it wasn't small, the transcation was something like 700Million Baht. Is that small? Absolutely NO.

And overriding any of this specific discussion is that the citizens of any country have a right to expect theat their PM is the doyen of ethics, the ultimate example of good ethics.

Will you say it's OK if a drunk driver hits your car, injures one of your children, traunatizes the child but never mind because the child only had to stay in hospital for one week? I certainly hope not. /i]

Someone overly by the book could argue that no corruption at all should be tolerated in any circumstances, but it wouldn't fit in the real world as corruption is practically everywhere, including in the West. We could argue that the US Republicans were infinitely more corrupted than Thaksin and that caused wars but thats another story.

So because there is corruption in politics in the US (by the way, there are other countries in the world other than the US), then corruption is OK. This is precicely the attituide that needs to be killed in Thailand, othewrwise corruption will never go down at all.

This story of corruption was tightly knit by his opponents. This is simply politic warfare, nothing less.

What do you mean by 'tight knit'? ?There are in fact many threads on many webboards and in many other journals listing thaksins corruption - you seem to be suggesting that listing his corrupt activities is somehow nasty. Perhaps you'd like to share your rational for this.

The fact is, Thaksin clearly improved the living conditions of the often forgotten people living up-country. That is impossible to refute.

Yes it is possible to refute, and to refute strongly. Many families ended up in much deeper debt for just one one example. There is one positive in the 30Baht health scheme but let's be honest - the quality of care is less than at benachmark levels. The quality of education is still the same (poor) quality it was 20 yers ago.

His opponents were mainly middle-class from Bangkok, who felt left-out with "region-oriented" policies of Thaksin.

This comment has no basis whatever either in fact or in an anecdotal basis, and is nothing more than tour attempt at clever spin. Perhaps you'd like to share some rational for your comment.

Let's be frank here, Thaksin was a successful and ambitious man. Like many men in his position, he misused and abused his power.

Well let's analyze that:

- Successful - Yes, but let's also please remember that he had what you could call a telephone monopoly given to him on a platter (and by a senior leader of the 1992 coup which had no hesitation to shoot civilians on sight), plus whilst he had a monopoly he charged exorbetant rates for the telephone services, including the Essan poor.

- You simply cannot say that because other people have abused their power or been involved in corruption it is therefore OK. Thaksin and all other Thai politicians (over many decades) knew that getting into corruption has risk, part of that risk is that you just might be the person who get's caught by some unknown factor or gets acught because of a sudden change in public attitudes etc. If the axe happens to land on you, then that's the way the cookie crumbles, nothing more and nothing less.

But perhaps your suggesting that because others have never been caught then it's not fair for thaksin to be caught/punished. Well let's analyze that, this would be saying that because some murderers have never been caught then it's unfair for any murders to be caught and/or punished. A quick way to a totally lawless society

But he's not worst than the others. He's not worst than the current prime minister, Abhisit Vejajiva who cunningly found his way to the top. Abhisit was also charged for a lot of corruption cases (bribes, inflated prices, conflit of interests and shuch) ,

So you make some strong accusations againt PM Abhsit, perhaps you'd like to share some actual and specific details of: his corruption and specific details of charges laid against him, conflict of interest etc etc.

You say 'cunningly found hisway to the top'. It has been explained again and again (but is guess you don't accept the established laws of Thailand(laws which are commoin to many coutries) since they simply don't suit your attitudes.

You say "He is still under investigations for other cases of corruption." Perhaps, again, you'd like to share some specif case details to support your claim.

Let's not forget that Thaksin got ousted by the military, which is highly undemocratic.

The Commander-in-Chief at the time of the coup d'état was openly opposed to Thaksin (because Thaksin appointed relatives in the Army) and it explain why the coup happened.

No it doesn't explain why the coup happened - the coup leaders have explained many times they saw it as their duty to stop a highly corupt man who was out of control and was stronly abusing his power (and I wonder whether your suggestiong that massive and open nepotism is Ok, even when one relative was jumped 5 ranks, and even when numerous relatives are placed in important and powerful positions and they have no capability or previous experience to fulfill the roles? And this is a man who had no hesitation to supervise the murder of 2.500 fellow Thais without recourse to justice. Thaksin says (and you say) a coup is undemocratic - well thaksin is on record as saying that 'democracy is not important for Thailand' / 'democracy is not my aim', etc. etc. Plus he intimidated the judiary, the elctoral commission, the revenue department and more - but he now claims he's the champion of democracy. Sorry, but you can't it both ways.

Thaksin now says he totally opposes coups and he wants the clock turned back to before the 2006 coup. Well if thaksin has strong beliefs on this point then he should also be saying that Thailand (and the people occupying the government seats) should be turned back to before the first ever coup.

Let's also not forget that Abhisit party got less seats than the UDD supported Pheu Thai Party and only got power because of a coalition of 5 parties.

Thats' the way the process works and it's like that (and in reality the system works) in many countires in the world. It's within the deliberately written electoral laws of Thailand constructed decades ago.

How would you feel if the party who helped you get out of poverty, helped you to get better access to health care won the elections but didn't govern ?

'Get out of poverty'? I ask you to provide some facts / data about how many families in Essan are now out of poverty.

'Better access to health care' - a positive, but don't forget, it was massively under resourced and the quality less than wonderful.

'won the elections but didn't govern'. 'won' is a totally wrong word and unruthful word, 'bought' elections is an appropriate terminology and there's plenty of evidence of this.

If thaksin was seriously and sincerely wanting to improve life for the rural poor then he had many years to make strong and deep changes to policies, infratrucure, education, opportunity, policies to ensure a better sharing of the common wealth of Thailand. He did none of this, nothing. He gave the rural poor hands out - he bought and manipulated them with another bag of rice just at the right time, a few telephone cards just at the right time, nothing more.

I can certainly agree that the rural poor would be disillusioned by all of this, but who deliberately created their false hopes. who tricked them? The answer - thaksin and his ilk in the TRT / PPP parties.

The bottom line of all of that is very simple - they have a right to feel disillusioned and angry but they should aim their anger at the right people - thaksin, TRT, PPP, and their local poo yai in cahoots with the TRT and PPP, and the UDD.

Yeah, of course my argumentation hold unless there is clear evidence he wanted to become a dictator.

I heard some rumors about it and also about that he planned to create a republic and destitute the king with the support of the crown prince.

But it's just rumors.

look at the timing of it all...

Thaksin's first moves, then the coup... then now... then Abhisit's proposal for elections in 9 months.

There wouldn't even have been the need for a destitution, if everything had gone Thaksin's way.

He had the time to wait it out, and then become the first President of Thailand...

More than just rumors if you ask me. The events are timed. The reds don't want the election in 9 months. Why? you can guess...

We saw the video clip.

You are OK with this?

Pack up another bowl and suck it down, then let us have another conspiracy theory! :):D:D:D

You want the truth?

A Spielberg classic !

If he is such a fine and decent guy, why then does he finance and orchestrate a bloodshed like that?

OK, that was just me putting two and two together. For everyone who is not that fast, why did he not tell the poor people, being all wound up by the dynamics of a large number of people, to stop and not get drawn into an inevitable bloodshed, being quite a bit away from it all and able to keep a cool head?

How come he only offered his condolences to the families of the killed red shirt supporters and not the military, although they are all Thai and might have even been quiet supporters of his? Well, I guess because he is just a hel_l of a great guy, he is!

You know, the reason why I'm posting here today is mostly to know more about all what is going on. (the first reason I registered was to get info about my wife's visa but that's another story)

You know... ignorance is the main reason why everything is so wrong in Thai politic in the last.. decades I should say.

I'm not a fan of Thaksin but I don't condemn him either.

Like him or not, Thaksin was extremely popular in 2005.

Something Thaksin gave to the people up-country, is HOPE. Hope for a better life.

He made bad things, nobody deny that. I'm not here to discuss the morality of the guy.

In my opinion, the root of the problem come from the 2006 coup. When a party have a crushing political victory (375 seats out of 480) and then he is ousted by a coup, just to be replaced by a coalition... it leaves millions of people who feel cheated.. unsatisfied.

The Red Shirts are not a homogeneous entity.

There is one group who are hardcore supporters of Thaksin and most likely just want him to come back to rule again

Another group who just feel frustrated by the outcome of the last years and wish the PPP could be the government. Those are the one who claim they dont fight for Thaksin but for "democracy"

The average red shirt is not the educated high-conscious type. Some are just there as followers with not much of a political conscience.

The IQ of a large mass of human quickly goes down...

I'm not even sure the Red Shirt got a tangible plan in case Abhisit step down in the next few days.. which is kinda sad.

With this kind of massing, there is also a bunch of unrelated people who just use the red shirt mass as a vehicle to create their own chaos.

Who knows if there is not insurgents from the south in the mass ?

The situation is so complex that I'm pretty sure nobody can claim to know exactly what is going on. The "Big Picture" is quite blurry.. at least for me.

I just hope one thing. No more of what happened yesterday... Damnit. It's fine to defend a cause but does it really need to be at the expense of people life ?

I would like to apologize on behalf of various threads on Thai Visa that appeared to imply that the Thai military and police had made considerable progress during their encounters with the reds yesterday and had demonstrated that they were taking control of the situation in a steady and restrained manner as possible under the trying circumstances.

it appears, according to the international media, that in fact their intervention was a complete farce. The violence only ended when the troops and police retreated leaving behind their military vehicles in many cases.

Listen, it's very simple: Abhisit offered to had election in six months instead than next year or so. Why the hel_l the reds didn't accept this and been back their home, waiting peacefully for the new elections?

The reds don't want to wait six months!?! Well, okay, here is the price to pay SIMPLY because they don't want to wait: 19 dead, 807 injured.

If their leaders had accept Abhisit proposal all these people will not be dead or wounded. Abhisit tried everything he could to resolve the crisis peacefully, he could not leave a minority of people destroying the country's economy. He had to defend the law and not let the country going into chaos simply because 50000 people can't wait six months for a new election!!! Is this difficult to understand!?!

You want no more dead people? Accept Abhisit proposal and get the fuc_k out of Bangkok! It's just as simple as that.

With all due respect bagheera65, you would make a very poor political leader. It is not "simple" like you imply. The last legislative were in 2007. All Abhisit is doing is trying to buy time. Don't just think he does that from kindness of heart.

And by the way, the UDD is more than 50,000 persons. Those 50,000 persons are simply the vanguard of over 10,000,000 supporters of the PTP everywhere up-country.

Assuming your pie-in-the-sky figures were accurate, which I don't, that would make them 15% of thailand's population. That would give them the right to peacefully protest without disrupting the lives of others, and to wait for the next election. It's called democracy.

Well, actually, its true I threw this number pretty quickly as it is very hard to evaluate the real support the UDD has.

The official numbers I have :

http://www.electionguide.org/election.php?ID=1253

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2007

The PPP won 233 seats out of 480 and got 36.63% of the votes.

I don't say that 100% of them support the UDD... but the vast majority does, even if they are only passive supporters.

To compare, the Democrats of Abhisit won 165 seats and got 30,30 % of support. But by combining the 5 running-up parties.. you get the 242 seats out of 480 to form a majority government.

Oh yeah, that is democracy... not at its best.

You might wish to check the proportional vote in which each voter gets one vote to select the party they want to represent them. In this election the Democrats Party had more votes than the PPP.

We saw the video clip.

You are OK with this?

Pack up another bowl and suck it down, then let us have another conspiracy theory! :D :D :D :D

You want the truth?

Madi, I guess that we can be thankful for the modern age of technology, because in the old days when a goverment closed down an opposing parties TV station and tried to shut down communication what information did get out would be controlled by the government, and as we know form history that information didn't always come close to the truth :) Now with modern technology anyone with a cellphone and internet access can report on what is actually occuring and get the truth out to the world via youtube and other outlets :D

I would like to apologize on behalf of various threads on Thai Visa that appeared to imply that the Thai military and police had made considerable progress during their encounters with the reds yesterday and had demonstrated that they were taking control of the situation in a steady and restrained manner as possible under the trying circumstances.

it appears, according to the international media, that in fact their intervention was a complete farce. The violence only ended when the troops and police retreated leaving behind their military vehicles in many cases.

Well said

If he is such a fine and decent guy, why then does he finance and orchestrate a bloodshed like that?

OK, that was just me putting two and two together. For everyone who is not that fast, why did he not tell the poor people, being all wound up by the dynamics of a large number of people, to stop and not get drawn into an inevitable bloodshed, being quite a bit away from it all and able to keep a cool head?

How come he only offered his condolences to the families of the killed red shirt supporters and not the military, although they are all Thai and might have even been quiet supporters of his? Well, I guess because he is just a hel_l of a great guy, he is!

You know, the reason why I'm posting here today is mostly to know more about all what is going on. (the first reason I registered was to get info about my wife's visa but that's another story)

You know... ignorance is the main reason why everything is so wrong in Thai politic in the last.. decades I should say.

I'm not a fan of Thaksin but I don't condemn him either.

Like him or not, Thaksin was extremely popular in 2005.

Something Thaksin gave to the people up-country, is HOPE. Hope for a better life.

He made bad things, nobody deny that. I'm not here to discuss the morality of the guy.

In my opinion, the root of the problem come from the 2006 coup. When a party have a crushing political victory (375 seats out of 480) and then he is ousted by a coup, just to be replaced by a coalition... it leaves millions of people who feel cheated.. unsatisfied.

The Red Shirts are not a homogeneous entity.

There is one group who are hardcore supporters of Thaksin and most likely just want him to come back to rule again

Another group who just feel frustrated by the outcome of the last years and wish the PPP could be the government. Those are the one who claim they dont fight for Thaksin but for "democracy"

The average red shirt is not the educated high-conscious type. Some are just there as followers with not much of a political conscience.

The IQ of a large mass of human quickly goes down...

I'm not even sure the Red Shirt got a tangible plan in case Abhisit step down in the next few days.. which is kinda sad.

With this kind of massing, there is also a bunch of unrelated people who just use the red shirt mass as a vehicle to create their own chaos.

Who knows if there is not insurgents from the south in the mass ?

The situation is so complex that I'm pretty sure nobody can claim to know exactly what is going on. The "Big Picture" is quite blurry.. at least for me.

I just hope one thing. No more of what happened yesterday... Damnit. It's fine to defend a cause but does it really need to be at the expense of people life ?

My short answer to this one would be: Yes, he did some things that seemed to improve the life of some people and some things he did were not bad. He was corrupt, as is the system as we all know it, but got a bit too greedy and power hungry. In my encyclopedia, if you look up megalomaniac there's a picture of your man. Anyhoo, he got the broom after he resigned from politics fro ever, then decided he did not want to do that and hung on to a self invented position of care taker prime minister for too long, trying to install his men everywhere. He did have a big bunch of dough and even some credibility left and could have lived a great life after that. But he decided that was not good enough and almost all of the trouble coming after that is/was a result of him trying to get back the power and the money he lost.

Well said

One more time. How do you know the snipers are from the army???

Well you can take out people quite easily from the high ground w/obviously no threat. Cause mass confusion and disorganization among red protesters. It's actually quite an effective tactic with urban combat. I think the army didnt expect the results to go the way they did last night if the truth be told.

There is more to this than the obvious - paid protesters do not die for smth they do not believe in. They die for a cause. There is blood on everyone's hands - govt/red shirts/military. Let's hope common sense on all sides will come into play and thailand can be a peaceful place again.

Hopefully out of this tragedy, some real democratic champions will appear - and consign the likes of Jatuporn, Arisman, Thaksin , military, yellow shirts and those that are "invisible" to the dustbin. The sad thing is, that probably the majority of people in this country support neither red or yellow - but would certainly support an inclusive political party that has no ties to all the old established corrupt, power hungry political cliques.

I agree Khun Toad - lock the red leaders, abhisit/cohorts and the military leaders w/Khun T all in the monkey house. They all are to blame for this BS.

I agree with both of you ...

Without reading any more, I'm with you guys.

First thing, they should make all six that were at those negotiations last week sit together and apologize to the country for failing to sort it out there and then.

Make them sit there, in front of the TV cameras, until they can reach a compromise and if they need to talk to anyone, or read any SMS messages, or take phone calls, they have to tell the nation who and why.

Well you can take out people quite easily from the high ground w/obviously no threat. Cause mass confusion and disorganization among red protesters. It's actually quite an effective tactic with urban combat. I think the army didnt expect the results to go the way they did last night if the truth be told.

I would say the army had nothing to gain from that.