Thai Welcomes Everyone That ...

tasa

I agree withothers before me that it is good if Thai people access this site and offer their comments. This may go a long way towards educating those poor souls who do nothing but criticise in an unconstructive and often hurtful way. Sometimes when I see some farang or foreigners in Thailand, I cannot help but feel sorry for Thai people. there are some absolute shocker farangs and foreigners who should stay home. Their behaviours are offensive not only to Thai people, but to me. I feel embarrassed to be a farang or foreigner in Thailand at times. Go Tasa !

i too have been embarresed by people from my country and the way they act... Just like my National rugby team hehehe :D Just kidding....

I often see people from my country that do something to make me wanna apolagise 10 times over!!

I suppose u should just think of how you would feel if a whole lot of Thais came to your country and married your women, took lots of jobs, disrespected your beleifes and helped turn your country into " the worlds largest bedroom" and im pretty sure that we would all be alot less tolerant then the smiling Thai!..

thats how i understand it... Think about comming back home to see all the goodlooking girls taken by Thai guys which we richer then u!! :o

While there are only a few offenders.... I can understand if any Thai out there has a steriotype view of the farang...

what does everyone think?

:o Just want to tell you, foreigners (not only farangs), that the mentality of Thai people towards foreingers has never changed. It is as it has been! "Everyone is welcome", VERY welcome as long as you have good wishes for the country. As a Thai, I am sorry for the fact that it could probably be a little more difficult with rules, regulations and things of that sort for living in the country.

Having lived abroad I do face always difficulties...so those of you who think Thais living in your country get equal rights..forget it! There is hardly racism against farangs in Thailand but there is alot of that towards Asians (other races as well) ..and Thais are of course Asians. Let's not mention what countries...

Since the HEAVY economic crisis in 1997 Thai people have been more aware of what can happen if the country is not well protected. There are now at least 12-15 million Thais living under poverty line (who earn less 100 baht or so --> it is not enough for lives in BKK, Chiang Mai, Phuket ... ). So please do not be surprised if the authority seems to need more money! But you should know that Thailand "certainly" benefits from "good" foreigners living in the country, and Thailand hopes that you benefit also in whatever way it is. I think that whatever rules/regulations etc that may be (or maybe not at all) imposed in the future will just make Thailand a better place for us Thais and you guys. Deep inside of every Thai, he/she loves to sanook (enjoy) and smile but the modern (money) world and globalization have made it harder to do so ...

Don't worry, be happy! This is always that Thai attitude and we love to live and love to be happy and love to have you be happy with us.

I thought your post was pretty accurate - you are right about being Asian living abroad, In Sunny Australia where I am from, you can be any asian nationality, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese etc and your all rounded up into the same heading. Nip< Jap, Viet - It really is racism. If you walk down the street with your Asian wife, you have a dial a bride on your arm. It is just ways of idiots, not to worry.

In the Farang areas of Thailand you also get it here by foreigners on holidays and local Thais - every Thai girl with a foreigner is a bar girl or sold herself for a better life........... My wife happens to be a university educated 29 year old sweet heart - It breaks my heart when the local Tuk Tuk driver or the 80 year old german speaks to her like shit! I have had a few punch ons in my first few years and now I just shake my head.

You would be fooling yourself if you beleive there is no racism here, it is in every part of the world - It really is just evolution, one day we will all look the same!

My wife happens to be a university educated 29 year old sweet heart - It breaks my heart when the local Tuk Tuk driver or the 80 year old german speaks to her like shit!

Out of curiosity, why do you feel your "29 year old sweet heart" is with you and not a normal middle class Thai man.

With such a man she is surely more able to pursure a "normal" Thai life, obtain a joint mortgage, commit herself to a car loan, raise children in the traditional Thai way and welcome genuine and unaffected acceptance from her friends, family and work colleagues.

In my experience, well educated, middle class Thai ladies almost invariably enjoy a life of far greater emotional and financial fulfilment with their male counterparts than would be the case had they paired off with the average love-struck farang.

Why do some farang or foreigners that obviously don't like the Thais, why do they want to live in los? Why do they post negativ about our hosts in this forum?

There are some people that love to live in Thailand, even if some things are changing, it's not getting easier for me also!

But I really love to live here, I love to comunicate with my many thai-friends in thai, I love to raise my son here in a country with friendly/harty people!

So if you don't like it here, take a break, go to where you come from and see how it's there! :o

Thank you TASA for a beatiful message and for a possitive attitude!

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT AITIT!

Out of curiosity, why do you feel your "29 year old sweet heart" is with you and not a normal middle class Thai man.

With such a man she is surely more able to pursure a "normal" Thai life, obtain a joint mortgage, commit herself to a car loan, raise children in the traditional Thai way and welcome genuine and unaffected acceptance from her friends, family and work colleagues.

Oh man, dont you think you are a bit streotype here? Your experience with thai middle class women doen not and can not speak for the whole nation ok? People have different priority their life and nothing is wrong with being farang housewife! Maybe Its a bit diffecult at the beginning with family and friends but Virgil says love will conquer all and lot of people believe so.

I am thai woman from middle class family, very well educated and I would definitely go for one I love, does not matter what nationality he is or how stuggle i would be.

This is really corny but it is what I think, Love doesn't allways understand skin colour, eye shape or physical appearance. What is normal who knows and who is to judge, just get on with living life in your own way and bugger what anyone else thinks.

bronco

I agree withothers before me that it is good if Thai people access this site and offer their comments. This may go a long way towards educating those poor souls who do nothing but criticise in an unconstructive and often hurtful way. Sometimes when I see some farang or foreigners in Thailand, I cannot help but feel sorry for Thai people. there are some absolute shocker farangs and foreigners who should stay home. Their behaviours are offensive not only to Thai people, but to me. I feel embarrassed to be a farang or foreigner in Thailand at times. Go Tasa !

The 747 engines stop whining at Don Muang, then the farang a**holes start whining

They are an embarrassing bundles of misery aren't they ? It is so great to see positive sentiments.

My wife happens to be a university educated 29 year old sweet heart - It breaks my heart when the local Tuk Tuk driver or the 80 year old german speaks to her like shit!

In my experience, well educated, middle class Thai ladies almost invariably enjoy a life of far greater emotional and financial fulfilment with their male counterparts than would be the case had they paired off with the average love-struck farang.

Johny Moron,

You are right in what you say, it definately would of been easier on her - but love conquers all........ I am also only 36 so we also had an attraction to each other as any body does in any relationship......

A quick story.

When I got married, I said to my Inlaws, how much money did they want for the dowry, there reply was one I have never heard in Thailand.... We do not sell our children, give me 200,000 Baht on the day of the wedding for "show" and we will give it back to you for your wedding present!

The day after the wedding as we were leaving for our "honeymoon", the mother inlaw handed me the money.... These people are far from rich as they put all their money into their kids education and live in a usual rural Thai village.. I was gobsmacked.... Just lucky I guess, that I have great inlaws - not because I saved 200,000 baht, as I would of gladly gave that for the marriage - just because of how they acted towards the farang - want nothing from me, just that there daughter was looked after.... Im welling up :o

You are right in what you say, it definately would of been easier on her - but love conquers all........ I am also only 36 so we also had an attraction to each other as any body does in any relationship......

Mr "Gentleman"

Except for a slight age difference, your story is very similar to mine. You may also find that the handing back of the dowry is less unusual than many think (especially in the case of what one may politely term "real" girls).

Incidentally, are you aware of any problems which arise from sending your children to a local government school? I personally hope to be able to send my children to an international school but as of this moment I'm still not entirely sure if I can afford it. Do half-Thai half-farang children fit in well at government schools? Do they get bullied and victimised, or are they worshipped and adored? I sincerely hope it's the latter!

Guest IT Manager

FWIW I looked at sending our adopted son to an International school. someone suggested MacDonald's on a Saturday morning for a bite. He had a neighbor with a son in International School CM. I didn't think much about it, but went along.

He said just be quiet and watch/listen.

We left after an hour. My son goes to a Thai Government School and does a few extra classes. there was no way I was going to have him end up like that. Gross.

also a friend of mine has his English son in a local Thai school. It teaches in English, except for Thai language.

Very successful and the boy has fitted in very well.

I wanna share my experience having half thai-american classmates in my primary school ( Government school in Bangkok)

1. They always get alot of attention from teachers and classmates,perhaps because of their looks, language ability etc.

hi

2. They get along well with other children. Some of them are really good at team leader as they have a lot self confidence.

In my point of view, I totally support the local government school choice. Its a place to learn not just about school lesson but socialize with thai people in thai way.

Speaking about International School, my father is thinking about sending my young brother ( 14 years old) there next year. Dad and my sister ( 18 years old) prefer the international school choice but my mom and I disagree for a couple reasons ;

- academic lesson -- international school has less strong academic lessons than Thai govenment school. Sad but true, pay much more but get less.

- Low percentage of international school students get into Government university like TU, CU ( formal programme not talking about international program) so its nearly impossible for those kids to pass exam because at thai school we study much more harder.

What does the international school gives us if we pay that much for them?

For sure one thing, your children will have a better quality in presentation, speech and everything that related about showing themselves. Most of Thai kids sucks when it come to public speaking ( me too!) coz we dont have much chance to practice at school.

I strongly support the government choice. Go for it!

- Low percentage of international school students get into Government university like TU, CU ( formal programme not talking about international program) so its nearly impossible for those kids to pass exam because at thai school we study much more harder.

What does the international school gives us if we pay that much for them?

Thank you for your comments.

Might these observations of yours not have more to do with a desire on the part of the parents (Thai or farang) to send their international-school-educated children to "proper" universities (ie, overseas) as opposed to the "joke" universities here in Thailand?

It's all to do with snobbishess and money - both of which appear to me to be paramount to success in modern day Thailand.

But it's a shame. In my admittedly limited experience, Chulalongkhorn graduates are amongst the very best that I have met anywhere. The few that I have encountered (a couple of dozen or so at most) would be more than able to hold their own against their counterparts from Harvard, the Sorbonne and my own seat of learning, Oriel College, Oxford.

It seems to me that while mere mortals here in Thailand strive for nothing less than a place at Thammasat and Chula, those in possession of fabulous wealth seek instead to educate their sons and daughters at British and American universities which in many cases are grossly inferior to what exists already here in their own country.

And isn't that silly?

Oh, and before I go, thank you Mr IT for your comments.

It seems to me that you've come in for a little bashing since you turned forum administrator. To be perfectly honest, I think that some of what you write is questionable and some of what you write is actually quite good.

More than anything else however, I get the impression that you are a kind man.

Anyway, off to see the Man U Man City game.

I've browsed this site for a while now and it's nice to see someone taking an interest in local education :o

Seems to me this troller has more to say on the subject than the so-called doctor B)

Is this why Dr Ping Pong wants the "Moron" guy banned :D

Why isn't local education the subject of more postings to this forum I wonder B)

Are you all just bunch of sex tourists B)