Places To Avoid In Bangkok Due To Protests

lanky

my travel plans are to stay a nite and half a day in bangkok on the weekend want to know what places to avoid i like to stay in hotel along suhkovmit road I have heard koasan rd has some problems is there any updates or websites to keep tourists informed were in bangkok it is more safer to stay even if it is for me a nite and a day

thankyou

My wife& son are flying from CNX on the 20th, staying @ the first hotel Pratunam, she has telephoned hotel, reply was safe in this area, what about taxi from airport (suvarnabhoum) should all be no problem ?

thanking you for info songhklasid

My wife& son are flying from CNX on the 20th, staying @ the first hotel Pratunam, she has telephoned hotel, reply was safe in this area, what about taxi from airport (suvarnabhoum) should all be no problem ?

thanking you for info songhklasid

Keep in mind that is only a very short walk from the center of the protest. It's probably fine unless all hel_l breaks loose. Of course eating and shopping opportunities are going to be significantly curtailed.

BTW...you sure you're okay with the quality of that hotel? You might want to check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2...ok-Bangkok.html

My holiday is getting closer and closer! Land on the 30th and scheduled to stay at Pathumwan Princess right next to MBK. I really dont want to cancel my plans but dont know about all the protests etc....

I hear hotels are closing etc... Any suggestions? Will Pathumwan be ok to stay in? Will MBK be open??

My holiday is getting closer and closer! Land on the 30th and scheduled to stay at Pathumwan Princess right next to MBK. I really dont want to cancel my plans but dont know about all the protests etc....

I hear hotels are closing etc... Any suggestions? Will Pathumwan be ok to stay in? Will MBK be open??

99.9999% of Bangkok is normal, with people going about their daily lives.

It's only a few streets with reds hanging about. You can still go to all the tourist places as normal - even Pratunam and Pantip Plaza are operating normally and they are just 200m from the reds who have taken over a couple of streets

Avoiding the top of Silom Road and the intersection with Rama 4 Road would be wise. It's now something of a fortress!

Wow Sticky do you advertise on thaivisa? how is it possible that you can promote your website, yet a friend of mine was banned and warned here on TV for talking about his website until he paid for advertising. about time the mods modded me thinks.

Ever since the red shirts took over Rajaprasong, MBK and the Pathumwan Princess have been operating with no hic-cups attached.

Pratunam, Platinum Mall, MBK and the hotel are near however to Rajaprasong - best be avoided. Other than that no hassles at reported venues recently.

Edited by ThaiEye

I found this good google map with areas highlighted for Protest hotspots and other places to try and avoid.

type "Bangkok Dangerous - Red Shirts Rally March-April 2010" into google maps and it should show up at the topof the list.

I would post a link but im unsure of the policy on posting urls on this forum. Am i allowed to post a link for a map as it is not exactly advertising anything?

Hows the area around the US Embassy?

I have to go there within the next week...

the best is to call an embassy on the day and check, whether they are opened at all or what hours. That's the advice some consulates gave at the beginning of the protests over a month ago

Hows the area around the US Embassy?

I have to go there within the next week...

the best is to call an embassy on the day and check, whether they are opened at all or what hours. That's the advice some consulates gave at the beginning of the protests over a month ago

Thanks

My Thai wife and I have been in Europe for a month. She go back to Thailand next week and shall take part in a job related course in Bangkok and will stay in a hotel near Ploenchit BTS station.

Is that area relatively safe?

Thanks & Regards :)

I originally posted the above question in the General forum and got negative reply about the safety of Ploenchit area. Is that a camp area for the demonstrators? Where in the area (for hotel) is still not affected by the demonstrations and from where its possible to reach Ploenchit safe in the morning, wife’s course start 0830 finish 1500 every day for three days.

Thanks.

Large groups of Reds hvae just converged upon Sukhumvit Soi 31 to protest outside the PM's home.

The last few days had been relatively quiet in Soi 31, and as a result the number of troops and riot police had been reduced.

Soi Prom Chit which connects Soi 39 & 33 with Soi 31 is blocked at the northern end of Soi 33. Th Soi 23 entrance to Soi 31 appears to open and some reds are coming in from that direction as well as the entrance from Sukhumvit Road. I can see that quite a few of these protesters are no longer wearing Red shirts but they are protesting and shouting the usual propoganda with the rest of the red mob.

Therefore, please be aware of the traffic situation in this location.

Edited by mark5335

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Need your advise on the following.

I will be staying in Tango Vibrant Hotel located at 11 Soi Wattanawong, Makasan, Rachathavee. May i know if this is near to the protest zone? Are shopping centres like Central World still closed? How about Plantinum Mall and MBK?

Can I say that Chatukchak market is safe place to travel to?

Thanks and look forward to your advises. :)