Australian Tourist Dies After Thai Street Attack

bridge

I am afraid that this type of murderous attack will become more commonplace once the red shirt protests have come to an end. A lot of thugish characters who have got used to breaking the law with impunity and getting easy money for just hanging around will suddenly be unemployed and resentful.

Edited by Arkady

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thugs think twice when they know they can also get hurt too" - and this is backed up by what learned document or research?????

Statistics from states that are restrictive vs those that allow CCW shows a higher murder per capita for the restrictive in the US.

As an example, Washington DC has been named the murder capital of the nation, it has also one of the toughest gun laws [until some month ago when the long lasting ban was overturned by the supreme court].

a few weeks ago a gentleman posted her of how he carried a pocket knife

He got so much childish silly flack

some very insulting

a friend of mine in Nepal was confronted recently by robberss, but showed a similar knife and his attackers backed off

I do see the practicality of carrying a weapon.

Here is any example, who know may what of happned.But one thing is for sure.

Thugs think twice when they know they can also get hurt too.And ones chances of survival are greatly increased if one faces an unpleasant situation and one of these.

May he RIP.

bjob,

Anybody that has one iota of good sense or professional experience will tell you that its ALWAYS a bad idea to introduce weapons into these situations. If you feel you know best and must carry a weapon you really need to make sure you are highly trained in the USE & RETENTION of such weapon. Also, if you are carrying that weapon be prepared to use it and face the consequences of using it.

Theres plenty of people in this world that have had their own weapons taken from them and used upon them.....bad idea. :)

Totally agree on that point ND :D

"Thugs think twice when they know they can also get hurt too" - and this is backed up by what learned document or research?????

Statistics from states that are restrictive vs those that allow CCW shows a higher murder per capita for the restrictive in the US.

As an example, Washington DC has been named the murder capital of the nation, it has also one of the toughest gun laws [until some month ago when the long lasting ban was overturned by the supreme court].

THat is a very illogical conclusion. - that is just using one vague postulation in one ?state claiming it backs up your point - terribly week argument.

RIP fellow ozzie dude...

but,

Slashed with a machete? This is becoming like Somalia!

Sad, very sad for Thailand.

Machetes are used very commonly here. When i used to rent a condo in the complex of the Ramkamhaeng University, and knew very many students there, i would see most students carry knives, machetes (at least hidden in the bushes near where the kids sit and drink or hang out) and another thing which is a triangular blade (3 sided like a star shape) which is used to stab the stomach and twist as you pull out to rip the guts. Most youth carry a knife these days. There was a murder or mutilation every night at Ramkamhaeng university .

Machetes isn't like Somalia.. its just like Thailand.

In fact, the machete (or "meed sparta" [spartan knife] as the Thais like to call it) is perhaps the most common weapon used by "wai run" (adolescent youth) these days.

THat is a very illogical conclusion. - that is just using one vague postulation in one ?state claiming it backs up your point - terribly week argument.

Try again, Comrade. The statistics is not from one state only, my post specifically say 'states'. I then mention Washington DC as it is often named the murder capital of the nation. Comprende?

Latest from Andrews grandad !

He tells me that the name of the insurance company is "COVER MORE" do any of you aussies in here know of this company.

Indeed COVER-MORE are one of the biggest travel insurance companies in Australia. In fact they are Flight Centre (Australia) preferred/sole travel insurance provider, and give Flight Centre a 40% commission on their top policies.

He tells me that the name of the insurance company is "COVER MORE" do any of you aussies in here know of this company.

Indeed COVER-MORE are one of the biggest travel insurance companies in Australia. In fact they are Flight Centre (Australia) preferred/sole travel insurance provider, and give Flight Centre a 40% commission on their top policies.

Further found this on lonelyplanet/thorntree (source)

Any consultant worth their pinch of salt will try and sell you travel insurance. They will give you a multitude of travel disaster scenarios that will leave you trembling on the edge of your seat debating whether you should in fact travel at all, whilst at all times appearing genuinely concerned with your health and well-being during your up and coming holiday. Whilst it is true that travel insurance is an absolute necessity, and anyone who travels without it is a fool, their concern is motivated by money more so than any genuine concern for your health and well-being. You see, in an industry where commissions range between 5 and 10%, and in some cases zero, Flight Centre earns a staggering 40% commission from its one and only preferred travel insurance provider Covermore. To put this in perspective, a two week, nil excess policy for two adult to the United States costs $424. Covermore pays the consultant $169.60 commission on that policy. If a consultant tells you that he can knock 10% of the brochure price of the insurance, what he really means is that he is only making 30% of you. Always shop around when it comes to travel insurance. This is where you will save big money. On a final note with regards to travel insurance. Many credit card providers include some form of travel insurance as a benefit to their cardholders. It would be impracticable for me to mention these individually, except to say that should inquire with your relevant credit card provider when canvassing travel insurance options. But beware; every consultant is skillfully trained in every rebuttal as to why you should choose their travel insurance over that of your credit card providers. Why wouldn’t they be at 40% commission?

hmmm.. sounds like the travel insurance wanted to save a dime and that cost him his life. I wonder if they can be held accountable.

And yes its real bad to get attacked like that here in Thailand, i hope they get the guys but if there are no more witnesses then it would be hard.

I sincerely hope that the insurance company are held accountable! Also seems to me, that the medical treatment here, would have been a lot cheaper than Aussie and of an equal standard too. My wife had a double heart valve replacement here and I have been in and out for various problems too. I have nothing but praise for the quality and dedication of the doctors here. Sounds like the insurance company is to blame in this case - sending an obviously very sick person on any trip sounds dubious to me. Condolences to all his family and friends, but don't let this just slide away!

Did the insurance company know that he had an infection? I doubt it. I guess it was more about some expensive surgery and not some treatment for his infection. If you really start thinking what must have happened, he was just too sick to travel, even a nine hour trip to his village.

No treatment to prevent an infection? You can buy that at every pharmacy. He must have been in such pain, that’s unbelievable. He wanted to take his passport, just to drive back to Bangkok?

And from Bangkok to Australia with such a serious injury, because the insurance company said so?

There must be much more behind the story, I’ve never heard about such an insurance company risking to pay much more. Imagine there’s a heaven………………………RIP. Our condolences to his wife and family.

There are also infections which are resistant to normal antibiotics. These infections occur mostly after surgery in hospitals. He should of course have stayed in the hospital and never been forced to travel by that cruel insurance company. What a sad story.

I lived in Prasat (where this inncident took place) for almost five years. Like most of Thailand normally foreginers are left alone as the penalties for attacking a foreigner are much harsher than Thai on Thai. I know the police in the town (yeah, yeah, I know everyone says that, but I do) and they helped me out a couple of times in the past. There is a foreigner in a high ranking policeman's family. With the risk of sounding like an ametuer detective I doubt this was an opportunist attack, but it could well of been. Sounds more like a face/shame thing to me. The fact that his widow was pregnant is very sad indeed.

I've seen samuri swords brandished and used in gang fights in the outskirts of Prasat. I've had a gun pointed at me (probably a bb gun) in Prasat. I heard a story that a grenade was thrown into a crowd in the provincial capital of Surin a few years back, during a festival.

With regards to the insurance. I would get a lawyer involved. The insurance company should begin to offer a settlement. Don't accept the first settlement offer. Work out how much it will cost for the insurance underwriter to take the case to court. Win or lose. The claimant and lawyer should work out what they expect and shoot much higher.,hopefully you will be well compensated. However that all means nothing when you have been robbed of a precious human life. It should however help the child have a decent education and the wife a finacially stable home.

Emailed to

Dear Minister Smith,

Minister For Foreign Affairs - Leader of the House

[email protected]

By now you should no doubt be well aware of the tragic death of Mr. Andrew Oake (An Australian Citizen) in Thailand.

Since the incident only came to light today on a local Thailand expat forum (thaivisa.com) it has had nearly 8000 views in a very few short hours of time. By tomorrow, I would expect number to double at the very least. You can follow the current forum at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3507560

As an Australian citizen (and ex-police officer) I find it repugnant and reprehensible that the Australian Government has not taken a more proactive stance with regards to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Oake. A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) spokeswoman said staff, "The cause of death is a matter for Thai authorities to determine," With respect Minister I find that response reprehensible. Do you honestly believe a fair, open and transparent investigation will take place into the death or Mr. Oake will take place? Of course it won't.

I find it quite ironic that recent assault's on Indians students in Australia were met with swift reaction by the Australia Government after condemnation by New Delhi, but incidents involving Australians abroad, in this case involving the death of an Australian citizen, receive such a mediocre response from the Australian Government.

Minister, I look forward to your prompt response, which I will advise now will be posted on the Thaivisa forum.

Regards

Great initiative!!!

With all my support!

From another Aussie ...........well done.

yeah.

oz govt should send in their commandoes now.

Very sad story. 28 years and about to be a father. Tragic. I have had a concealed carry permit here in the US for 16 years and thank God have never needed to make use of it. But there have been times (roadside breakdowns at night and dodgy characters giving my wife and I the evil eye) I am glad "it" was close at hand. All it takes is body language and a look to let would be assailants know that you are not easy prey. They are predators and instinctively seek out the weak in the herd. Don't be one and more importantly, don't look like one.

If I ever made it over to Thailand to live, I'm afraid I would have no choice but to go discretely outside the law and carry. After all these years, I would feel totally naked and unprepared without it. The Thai monkey house beats cremation any day in my book. At least you have hope and not a bowl of ash.

The USA has one of the highest Murder rates in the world, specifically because of their lax and ridiculous gun laws.

And anyone that thinks a Thai Jail would be fun has to rethink that.

The best solution is to leave your gun at home and stay out of trouble, or if you can't stay out of trouble, then don't come here.

CS

Most murders in the USA are made with illegal firearms and if the Gov changed the laws on carry permits every law abiding citizen would be a sitting duck!

They don't just give a permit to anyone,you have to have police clearance and show you can handle the weapon!

IMHO the USA has the right laws,the right to carry a weapon and protect yourself and your family,and i think this should be the same the world over!

I don't think this man was looking for trouble,just making his way home with his wife and unborn,and look what happened...a couple of hahoo's attacked him

and i think if he could carry weapon in Thailand or anywhere (im not saying he would carry) things might have turned out different!

RIP Andrew

Thanks for that sensible post. And yes, I had to submit to a full FBI background check with fingerprints and the safety course before being issued the permit. So that is far from "lax and ridiculous" as was claimed. Gun "control" is an endless debate but the bottom line is it's better to have the means and not need it, than vice-versa. Ask any current or former law enforcement officer whether they carry off duty and they will look at you like you are crazy. Or course they do! Couldn't imagine going out with no means to defend against felonious attack. The common man should have no less right to do so if proven responsible and of sound mind.

And did I say Thai jail would be fun? Uhhhhhhh, no.

thank god you did not say thai jails are fun places.

you must have erad "bangkok hilton", i suppose.

Update Re : Email sent to the Minister for Foreign Affairs (Stephen Smith). and the Shadow Minister for Foreign (Julie Bishop)

No response at all from the Foreign Ministers Office. That was to be expected I guess. Unfortunately in the eyes of the Australian Government Mr. Oake is just seen as a 'Joe Nobody'- how tragic. Of course when it is an Australian Executive of a large Australian Mining Company arrested in China, well then you can hear the Australian Government shouting all the way to Beijing.

I did get a response from the Shadow Ministers office however (see below)

Thank you for your email concerning the Labor Government's response to concerns raised about the investigation of Mr Oake's death in Thailand.

Julie has read this email and asked me to acknowledge receipt on her behalf.

It is vital that the Coalition receives feedback so that we can represent the interests of all Australians, and present people with a credible and inspiring alternative at the next election.

If you would like to visit Julie's website it is at www.juliebishop.com.au

For more detailed policy information please go to www.liberal.org.au

Best wishes

Rachael Gunderson

Electorate Officer - Research

Office of the Hon Julie Bishop

Federal Member for Curtin

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs

Deputy Leader of the Opposition

Feels like a Run' around... Now you need to follow up thanking them for their response and demanding to know exactly what action they are proposing to take.

Otherwise they will just file this in The Round "File 13"... Politician ONLY respond to pressure!.. Then forward a copy of their response to the Governing minister and demand to know what they are proposing to do! ... C.C. all communications to EVERY majer Media outlet in OZ... and the BBC, Reuters, A/P, NY Times, etc...

BTW... I have some experience in this area... I was a Vice-President of the Central Executive of a Political Party in my Home Province in Canada.

Best of Luck,

CS

does gordon brown have anything to say - at least as an election ploy?

Edited by hoilai

It sounds like this guy was a victim on more than one count.

First, a victim of the murderous <deleted> who attacked him.

Second, a victim of his bureaucratic insurance company.

Third - possibly - a victim of the hospitals/doctors who (mis?)treated him.

R.I.P. Poor bastard.

One thing I've learned in my time here, don't trust the hospitals in Bangkok. Some are good, some of the time. Some others are absolutely terrible.

Foreigners are viewed as walking insurance policies and overpricing is rampant amongst the name-brand private 'for-profit' hospitals. I have been involved in cases where U.S. and Australian-based insurance companies have looked at the bills sent to them by these hospitals and screamed bloody murder.

Other cases I know about involve an extraordinary amount of incompetence and neglect on the part of doctors and other hospital staff. People that go into hospital for minor complaints and end up dying there. Then it is hushed up and the hospital denies all responsibility.

The legal system in Thailand is not big on negligence claims, so running a hospital this way can be very profitable.

Sounds like the insurance company knew how much the Thai hospital would overcharge and was doing everything in its power to avoid a lengthy stay there.

In this case it sounds like there was absolutely no need for this bloke to die from his wounds.

If it had been me (and no disrespect to the deceased) I would have gone back home to seek treatment as soon as I could.

My advice - for anything that is at all serious and in cases where treatment can be postponed long enough, return back to your country (assuming you are lucky enough to come from a developed nation) and get treatment there. Always make sure you get a second and (even better) third opinion and don't be afraid to complain or ask questions even if it annoys the staff. It's your life on the line.

not too long ago,a farang was involved in a street brawl with locals who were trying to rob him was bashed up by the local police such that he landed in a hospital.

the worst is not over .

apparently, whilst in the hospital, he had his vital organs - which were not impaired - removed.

he died subsequently - but not from the injuries sustained from the brawl.

guess what he died from?

his thai girlfriend is from isaan and being poor had no recourse whatsoever.

that young athletic farang happened to be a close friend of mine.

so, beware and take care.

embassies can do just as much, but do heed their warnings.

Edited by hoilai

Not exactly vindication in glowing terms on the competence of Thai healthcare, is it?

Depends on where you are. Far out in the bush villages, just forget it! Don't go there! Even if you're fully insured up your ears, you can't find proper treatment. But here in my town 180 km east of Bangkok (population 60.000+), I've always received the best of care at the governmental ampur hospital. Friendly and competent doctors and nurses. Great stock of medicals. But US? No.. Even Canadians won't travel to US without a good travel insurance, which they don't need when only traveling at home. If you're without insurance in the US and seek medical care at a hospital, they put you in a cab which dumps you outside a charity hospital with very limited resources.

US has famously - or rather notoriously the worst healthcare system in the Westernised world.......but that in no way mitigates the Thai system - believe me (or not) when you go into your local hospital you enter a lottery.

why then is there so much resistance to an overhaul to the u.s. healthcare system?

canada used to be the country with the best healthcare system in the world.

Further found this on lonelyplanet/thorntree (source)

Any consultant worth their pinch of salt will try and sell you travel insurance. They will give you a multitude of travel disaster scenarios that will leave you trembling on the edge of your seat debating whether you should in fact travel at all, whilst at all times appearing genuinely concerned with your health and well-being during your up and coming holiday. Whilst it is true that travel insurance is an absolute necessity, and anyone who travels without it is a fool, their concern is motivated by money more so than any genuine concern for your health and well-being. You see, in an industry where commissions range between 5 and 10%, and in some cases zero, Flight Centre earns a staggering 40% commission from its one and only preferred travel insurance provider Covermore. To put this in perspective, a two week, nil excess policy for two adult to the United States costs $424. Covermore pays the consultant $169.60 commission on that policy. If a consultant tells you that he can knock 10% of the brochure price of the insurance, what he really means is that he is only making 30% of you. Always shop around when it comes to travel insurance. This is where you will save big money. On a final note with regards to travel insurance. Many credit card providers include some form of travel insurance as a benefit to their cardholders. It would be impracticable for me to mention these individually, except to say that should inquire with your relevant credit card provider when canvassing travel insurance options. But beware; every consultant is skillfully trained in every rebuttal as to why you should choose their travel insurance over that of your credit card providers. Why wouldn't they be at 40% commission?

Regarding the Credit Card Insurance. I always pay my airfare with my Commonwealth Platinum Credit Card, and get free travel insurance.

This is underwritten by ZURICH, and believe me its better than my travel agent (Flight Centres) can give me through Covermore. I advise anyone from Australia to think about this.

RIP fellow ozzie dude...

but,

Very sad...RIP ...Thailand is getting more like Melbourne every day..... I hope the police find the culprits and stone them to death... very sad story..

RIP fellow ozzie dude...

but,

Very sad...RIP ...Thailand is getting more like Melbourne every day..... I hope the police find the culprits and stone them to death... very sad story..

Melbourne is much safer now... Carl is custard!

On a more serious note: I cut the tip off my finger 18 mths ago near Khon Kaen. The insurance company wanted to pay to fly me home for the second op. (the tip did not reattach). They just don't have faith in Thai surgeons. I refused to fly home and said the Thai surgeon is as good as anyone else. He did the second operation successfully!

Regarding the Credit Card Insurance. I always pay my airfare with my Commonwealth Platinum Credit Card, and get free travel insurance.

This is underwritten by ZURICH, and believe me its better than my travel agent (Flight Centres) can give me through Covermore. I advise anyone from Australia to think about this.

this is also what I used to do until last year I had an incident in europe and discovered my platinum visa with city bank would only cover loss of a member or loss of life... nothing else was covered.

flg

• 3 weeks later...

Truly a tragic incident. RIP

But given that this occured over 2 months ago... what was the follow-up ? i.e;

- Did the MP's ever meaningfully respond ?

- Has the Insurance Company paid up ? Are they being sued ?

- Was the cause of death fully established ?

- Were the assailants ever found ? etc

• 2 months later...

happens so often in the uk, that its never reported.

Really, how do you know if its never reported? come on then know it all give us one example where a foreign visitor to the UK has been slashed to death with machetes

You won't get it Co's he's talking out of his a@se

RIP Ausie dude, was gutted to read what happened, Sad

In Detroit they just shoot them.

• 4 months later...
Aussie Dies After Thai Street Attack

An Australian tourist who died after being attacked in Thailand will be buried there tomorrow, farewelled by his pregnant Thai girlfriend and Adelaide family.

Andrew Oake, 28, had been holidaying in Prasat, near Surin in north-eastern Thailand, for two months with his girlfriend, Som, who is six months pregnant.

Update and post-delivery of Mr. Oake's daughter (pictured with her mother and grandfather)

cf35374ae0f8019ec8df7be.jpg

DESPERATE: Som Sawaengdee's partner, Andrew Oake, was killed in Thailand last year. His parents, Rory McDonald and Jane Oake, are fighting for Som and the couple's five-month-old daughter, Dang Angelina, to stay in Australia. A visa application has been rejected.

Murder widow's visa bid

THE family of a Seaford Rise man murdered in Thailand have been dealt another blow, with the Immigration Department refusing his Thai wife a visa to stay in Australia. Som Sawaendgee, 24, and her five-month-old daughter Angelina could be forced to return to Thailand permanently if an appeal is rejected. The news comes less than a year after their husband and father Andrew Oake was attacked by three men with machetes and suffered a fatal brain oedema.

Ms Sawaendgee arrived in Australia last September on an 18-month tourist visa to stay with Andrew’s parents, Rory McDonald and Jane Oake, in the hope of a better life. Mr McDonald said the family had applied for a Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa, which carried a $50,000 cost, but were later advised to apply for a Protection Visa. The family applied for the $30 visa on November 8 - losing their $1700 application fee and spot in the queue for the previous application - but were told it had been rejected on January 4.

“Som fears going back to Thailand because two of the attackers are still at large and she’s the only eyewitness,” Mr McDonald said. “We’re jumping through all the hoops and still being told we don’t meet the criteria. We’re at a loss - we really don’t know what to do.” He said the family would appeal against the decision and, if upheld, take the matter to federal Immigration Minister Chris Bowen. This could take months. He feared Som might be forced to return to Thailand with Angelina permanently if the matter was not resolved by the time her tourist visa ended in February next year. “Som’s got a fairly good reason for being here - we’ve spent a lot of money and gone through a lot of stress to make sure they’re both safe,” Mr McDonald said. “Som has an Australian baby whose father passed away by no fault of her own so she has a reason to be here."

Continues:

http://southern-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/murder-widows-visa-bid/

Southern Times Messenger - January 11, 2011

Aussie Dies After Thai Street Attack

An Australian tourist who died after being attacked in Thailand will be buried there tomorrow, farewelled by his pregnant Thai girlfriend and Adelaide family.

Andrew Oake, 28, had been holidaying in Prasat, near Surin in north-eastern Thailand, for two months with his girlfriend, Som, who is six months pregnant.

Update and post-delivery of Mr. Oake's daughter (pictured with her mother and grandfather)

cf35374ae0f8019ec8df7be.jpg

DESPERATE: Som Sawaengdee's partner, Andrew Oake, was killed in Thailand last year. His parents, Rory McDonald and Jane Oake, are fighting for Som and the couple's five-month-old daughter, Dang Angelina, to stay in Australia. A visa application has been rejected.

Murder widow's visa bid

THE family of a Seaford Rise man murdered in Thailand have been dealt another blow, with the Immigration Department refusing his Thai wife a visa to stay in Australia. Som Sawaendgee, 24, and her five-month-old daughter Angelina could be forced to return to Thailand permanently if an appeal is rejected. The news comes less than a year after their husband and father Andrew Oake was attacked by three men with machetes and suffered a fatal brain oedema.

Ms Sawaendgee arrived in Australia last September on an 18-month tourist visa to stay with Andrew's parents, Rory McDonald and Jane Oake, in the hope of a better life. Mr McDonald said the family had applied for a Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa, which carried a $50,000 cost, but were later advised to apply for a Protection Visa. The family applied for the $30 visa on November 8 - losing their $1700 application fee and spot in the queue for the previous application - but were told it had been rejected on January 4.

"Som fears going back to Thailand because two of the attackers are still at large and she's the only eyewitness," Mr McDonald said. "We're jumping through all the hoops and still being told we don't meet the criteria. We're at a loss - we really don't know what to do." He said the family would appeal against the decision and, if upheld, take the matter to federal Immigration Minister Chris Bowen. This could take months. He feared Som might be forced to return to Thailand with Angelina permanently if the matter was not resolved by the time her tourist visa ended in February next year. "Som's got a fairly good reason for being here - we've spent a lot of money and gone through a lot of stress to make sure they're both safe," Mr McDonald said. "Som has an Australian baby whose father passed away by no fault of her own so she has a reason to be here."

Continues:

http://southern-time...idows-visa-bid/

Southern Times Messenger - January 11, 2011

I would think that thier child would have citizenship by decent which would open a door for her. Besides that I think she is going about it the wrong way. Why doesn't she do what 1,000's of others are doing. Claim asylum seeker status and do it illegally. It will not cost her anything she will be provided as a woman with a child a home in society, the right to work, free medical for herself and the child and be paid to stay. The end result she will be granted citizenship. If you do it legally it can cost 1,000's take years and be rejected.

• Like 1

The Minister for Immigration can step override any decision the department makes if there are 'special circumstances'. If this case meets the 'special circumstances' then they may want to write to the Minister directly.

So sad.

And the follow-up only made it much sadder.

I know that it's unlikely but it is possible that the assailants were from Cambodia. Prasat is not all that far from the border. Not so much recently but for many years Cambodians would sneak across the border stealing and robbing. The border is like a Swiss cheese. It was only about 5 years ago that the numerous pill boxes or militia posts were manned full time at night checking any movement on the roads. Theft was the main problem, particularly motor cycles and believe it or not at one time there was a spate of thefts of the Kubota diesel engines from iron buffaloes.

There has been speculation that the local BIB may know who the perpetrators are. If they should turn out to be Cambodian I,m afraid that will only exacerbate the problems facing this unfortunate man"s relatives.

A situation which does not give Australia much credit. Poor Government regulation of the Insurance company permitting he situation to arise that led to this and then failing to encure that an Australian citizen ...his child was not permitted to live in Australia with its mother.

happens so often in the uk, that its never reported.

Horse shit.. I spend time in the uk, maintain a house there, mums still there etc..

Nothing happens in her sleepy coastal tourist town beyond the bit of fisticuffst at chuking out time (and now with graduated closing hours even thats far less than it was 10 years ago) she doesnt lock her house door when she goes out.. Someones cat going missing is the talk of the village.

Maybe you lived in moss side, or grey st bootle, or some other inner city wasteland.. But this kind of attack does not happen so often it goes unreported in the uk.