Thai Tourism Stimulus Measures Extended

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the article said,

"The stimulus measures include the exemption of visa fees for foreign tourists, travel insurance for foreign tourists of not more than 10,000 USD, low interest rate loans, and extension of loan payment periods."

Is this just an unclear statement or can a tourist get a low interest loan? Sign me up!

btw, i think logbags a few post above got it right.

I think the low interest rate loans and extension of loans probably is relevant to the Thai Tour Operators, but as you say, not very clear, neither is the bit about insurance. I would also agree that the timing is not only way out, but way, way, way, way out!! Unless of course they are advertising for Terrorist from around the World to come and join the melee?

What I think might be more helpful is to deflect all Bangkok Flights to Phuket, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai and any where else that can take international flights and to show the World via the medium of TV how normal life is in the rest of Thailand. Okay, okay, okay, I must stop thinking now and go and lie down with a nice ice lemon tea. :)

As long as things like this happen in Thailand, free visas won't help ANYTHING!!

Sorry, just realize this is a double post. I thought I lost my first one...

Edited by Dario

So, whats all this about free insurance worth up to 10k USD?? and whats this about loans? I live here and my insurance is in need of renewal, should i renew or how can i apply for the free insurance they are talking about? Also, with regards to the loans they are talking about how can one find out about getting or applying for a loan?

If anyone has any knowledge about this or knows where i could go to ask someone about this please let me know.

Thanks.

Kish

Just me or is this the worst timed announcement ever?

They would be better of marketing it as an opportunity to witness violent protests up close from the comfort of your hotel.

Gas masks are available from the concierge at extra cost.

Rediculous.

I have to agree that the timing could not be worse. There are no new ideas to boost tourism either. Many of the countries from where the external tourists come are still in recession or only just coming out of one. Folks there are not spending money on discretionary purchases like they used to, including vacations.

The only way to boost the numbers of foreign tourists is to make it a great deal cheaper to vacation here. The strong bhart has not helped either. I came to Thailand last year with Thai Airways. Their holiday division was selling flights for less than the company was making them available to tour opertors and travel agents - but it was still a lot of money. I came out again in February with Emirates. Their price was half that of Thai Airways - better aircraft, better inflight entertainment. Oerall, a better experience.

The wife and I wanted to vacation in another part of Thailand for a month. All the hotels and resorts we contacted were unwilling to give a discount! None of them got our business.

We are not backpackers spending a dollar a day, we are the type of tourists (admittedly internal tourists) that TAT is trying to attract.

perhaps it would help if the ministry would actually INFORM their embassies first before announcing free visas....havent heard of anyone getting a free t.v. since it supposedly came into effect...chances of a refund on being charged in the last two weeks? zero :)

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports, whose minister made the announcement according to today's news report (thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304150019), has no authority to give instructions to Thai embassies and consulates. Consider the possibility that the Tourism and Sports minister, Chumpol Silapa-archa, was just telling a joke :D

"Put into Administration a few Farangs that know better then the authorities here"...???? Please. Please look at the obscure ordered; crime ridden; rude; and plain ignorant Western World. The selfishness and envy alone is enough to put Westerners behind the eight ball in their own Country.

While I applaud the management of this forum for allowing those that need to vent a great opportunity to do so, I feel that many do not take into consideration that they ( the farangs ) are actually guests only in this wonderful Country; a Country that if you are honest about it is far more advanced in politeness; friendliness than where-ever else you originated from.

Need a whole heap of Road Rage; Holdups; abuse; car theft; etc. etc..?.. then go home and enjoy it.

Want to become a successful and contented Visitor / Guest of this Country, then try desperately to learn the rules of how it is done here; accept them and live by them.

Turning, or trying to turn these beautiful people and their rules into something akin to that of the Western world is in my humble opinion disastrous to all concerned; both them and the Farang.

This Country of Thailand is a place you have chosen to live; you want to live here because of what it is and how it is. Please don't try and introduce backward measures.

I do not believe the utmost stupidity that Thai lawmakers are showing. At first we get an man without a brain (Kasit) who himself is charged with economic terrorism who is accusing his opponents during a diplomatic meeting of terrorism. Yesterday we get the finance minister telling the world that bangkok is not safe because of militias and terrorists. Todat we find all over the net great clips in which protestors get killed in cold blood; (http://www.liveleak.com/player4.swf?config=http://www.liveleak.com/flash_config_new2.php?token=f44_1271214688%26embed=1) and now we are going to promote tourism by giving away free visas.

Now the Thai army had to admit that they killed people and given the fact that the Thaiu government is using the "T" word whenever they think it might bring them sympathy it is no time for tourism promotions.

Just announce that new elections will be hold not in 9 not in 6 but in 3 months and than you might be able to recoup what Suthep and Prayuth has destroyed within a few hours.

Still fishing to get your hero Thaksin back in power?

Maybe you could ask your red friends to sling a few more petrol bombs and market it as a northern tourist pageant.

I wonder why the Thai embassies in Austria have never heard of either the free visa (they charge for visas) nor th the 10000$ insurance... Maybe the letter got lost in the PTT? :)

I doubt very much that Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs would use the services of the PTT Public Company Limited (wrightreports.ecnext.com/coms2/reportdesc_COMPANY_C764I2760) to send a letter to Thai embassies.

Considering that the vast majority of Tourists to Thailand get a FREE Visa on arrival, and that even if they had to pay an approximately $20 Visa fee, none of this nonsense would make Any impact at all in the amount of Tourists that come to Thailand, or how much they would spend once they arrived here.

Does it take more than 1/2 a Brain for someone to realize this?

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

They would be better of marketing it as an opportunity to witness violent protests up close from the comfort of your hotel.

Rediculous.

and bullet proof vests etc etc!!

Friend went to Vientianne last week to apply for a double entry tourist visa.

He was told the same thing, everyone had to pay for the visa, he didn't have enough cash and came back with a single entry visa.

(Fancy believing the embassies & consulates in this region would do as they were instructed - pah!)

He did not have enough cash..... whats he doing, these visas are so cheap...guys like him we do not need here..

"Put into Administration a few Farangs that know better then the authorities here"...???? Please. Please look at the obscure ordered; crime ridden; rude; and plain ignorant Western World. The selfishness and envy alone is enough to put Westerners behind the eight ball in their own Country.

While I applaud the management of this forum for allowing those that need to vent a great opportunity to do so, I feel that many do not take into consideration that they ( the farangs ) are actually guests only in this wonderful Country; a Country that if you are honest about it is far more advanced in politeness; friendliness than where-ever else you originated from.

Need a whole heap of Road Rage; Holdups; abuse; car theft; etc. etc..?.. then go home and enjoy it.

Want to become a successful and contented Visitor / Guest of this Country, then try desperately to learn the rules of how it is done here; accept them and live by them.

Turning, or trying to turn these beautiful people and their rules into something akin to that of the Western world is in my humble opinion disastrous to all concerned; both them and the Farang.

This Country of Thailand is a place you have chosen to live; you want to live here because of what it is and how it is. Please don't try and introduce backward measures.

Thank you....

Considering that the vast majority of Tourists to Thailand get a FREE Visa on arrival, and that even if they had to pay an approximately $20 Visa fee, none of this nonsense would make Any impact at all in the amount of Tourists that come to Thailand, or how much they would spend once they arrived here.

Does it take more than 1/2 a Brain for someone to realize this?

CS

exactly! foreigners have no clue or care about external visa regulations etc. if on my first visit someone told me to pay 1000 baht i would of done! and not given a <deleted> about it!! if you r going to spend 3/4k$ on a holiday 20/30$ is a piss in the ocean.

Savannakhet in Lao, the thai embassy there said there were no free visa's this year, even though I tried to have it out with em. Pick it up on Monday so I will show them the news of the ministry website, and hopefully they might refund me.

I still take bets that you wont get a refund.

BTW, Savannakhet is already infamous for not following the foreign secretaries orders.

and also not adverse to a back pocket loan if you will the usual excuse is paper work not right thankfully I dont have to go there anymore

I really don't understand all the arguing here... the free visa period was supposed to start April 1st. The last one was from June 25, 2009 to March 4, 2010 (not sure what the previous ones were if any). It has nothing to do with the red shirt rallies - it had been planned previously.

Delaying the announcement by two weeks was obviously done because of what's been happening. Now that it's gotten much worse than they might have expected, they don't really have a choice but to announce it now - those of us who are in need of visas in the next couple of months have been sitting on our hands waiting for this announcement.

Look - 1000 baht isn't much for a typical foreigner, true. But for example, I'm getting a two-entry tourist visa from the Los Angeles consulate. They cost $35 per entry. That's $70, which I would much rather give to local shop owners and so on in Thailand than to the government bureaucracy. That extra $70 is going to go from me right into the economy in either Chiang Mai or Mae Hong Son... so what is the problem? Combined from all the tourists who are getting free visas, it'll add up, and it may very well encourage people to go that might not have otherwise. You're underestimating the power of getting something for free, even to someone willing to pay thousands for the rest of the trip, and nobody likes paying government administrative fees.

What a load of cobblers! Tell you what, you lot all toddle off to Europe and the States and we'll all come here. We aren't in Thailand because it's the land of smiles, the only time they smile is when they're taking our money. We're here because of the warm climate and the cheap sex. There are plenty of cheaper, stable places to go where they aren't all money grabbers; the roads are safe; the political situation is stable; people don't litter the place; the entry price for attractions is the same for foreigners as for locals; the police aren't corrupt etc etc. Get with it pal and bin your rose-coloured specs.

Savannakhet in Lao, the thai embassy there said there were no free visa's this year, even though I tried to have it out with em. Pick it up on Monday so I will show them the news of the ministry website, and hopefully they might refund me.

I still take bets that you wont get a refund.

BTW, Savannakhet is already infamous for not following the foreign secretaries orders.

Thank Heaven for small mercies then..... :)

Rediculous.

Your final word sums up your post Although it is ridiculous

Edited by brianb1944

What a load of cobblers! Tell you what, you lot all toddle off to Europe and the States and we'll all come here. We aren't in Thailand because it's the land of smiles, the only time they smile is when they're taking our money. We're here because of the warm climate and the cheap sex. There are plenty of cheaper, stable places to go where they aren't all money grabbers; the roads are safe; the political situation is stable; people don't litter the place; the entry price for attractions is the same for foreigners as for locals; the police aren't corrupt etc etc. Get with it pal and bin your rose-coloured specs.

Where does 1st poster come from? there is and hasnt been anything idyllic about Thailand for many years. I live here with my Thai wife, and just put up with the rorts, the Political Madness (which, I hasten to add is none of my business). And the incredible bias towards anyone Farang perpetrated by Thai Society at all levels.

I do not believe the utmost stupidity that Thai lawmakers are showing. At first we get an man without a brain (Kasit) who himself is charged with economic terrorism who is accusing his opponents during a diplomatic meeting of terrorism. Yesterday we get the finance minister telling the world that bangkok is not safe because of militias and terrorists. Todat we find all over the net great clips in which protestors get killed in cold blood; (http://www.liveleak.com/player4.swf?config=http://www.liveleak.com/flash_config_new2.php?token=f44_1271214688%26embed=1) and now we are going to promote tourism by giving away free visas.

Now the Thai army had to admit that they killed people and given the fact that the Thaiu government is using the "T" word whenever they think it might bring them sympathy it is no time for tourism promotions.

Just announce that new elections will be hold not in 9 not in 6 but in 3 months and than you might be able to recoup what Suthep and Prayuth has destroyed within a few hours.

You are right but that is not Thai Elite logic.Why are they scared of an election?

Wow!! What an insightful summary of the current situation, what a dick head, why dont you actually read what is happening, instead of trying to bignote yourself by typing nonsense.

Backward measures?? Like a coup d'etat?. Thailand is almost as famous for those as it is for prostitution. I don't believe we guests are asking for western development just more selfless government of the people, for the people, by the people.

Selfishness and envy? Look at the PAD and DAAD ripping the streets up.

"You are a guest...learn the rules" Well it seems like a good proportion of the population are starting to question those rules now they have access to mass media communication like the Farang.

The fact is (as you well know) a good proportion of the long term guests are low class in the thai caste system but have had the benefit of platonic teaching from their state schools with the facility to enquire and question all they learn without physical punishment or social ostracism. The benefits only a selected few in thai society are normally exposed to. My grandparents all worked in shoe factories and my father was a travelling salesman. However today I have read some of the the translated works of Prince Damrong and Rangsit and understand their interest in social anthropology and the work of W.H Rivers and Malinowski on the importance of ritual in primitive societies.

My thai wife has pointed out to me why Fahrangs (I appreciate the "h", it bestows a little more dignity to the epithet) with such comparatively high education and "low" class origins are a dangerous anathama in the nations present construct.

IMHO and that of the researcher Suntaree Komin, whose work I recommend other "guests" google and read (Psychology of the Thai People: Values and Behavioral Patterns) The politeness and friendliness are exaggerated social self defence constructs for overly nurtured egos.

I believe the Lord Buddha had some teaching on ego and the nature of impermanence?

So, Khun Suranaree I recommend you put some early Bob Dylan on your CD, and open your windows...

There's a battle outside And it's ragin'

It'll soon shake your windows And rattle your walls

For the times they are a-changin'.

Come mothers and fathers

Throughout the land And don't criticize What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters Are beyond your command

Your old road is Rapidly agin'

Please get out of the new one If you can't lend your hand

For the times they are a-changin'. :D

Anyhow, here's an appropriate joke to lighten the tone:

A backpacking tourist stays overnight with a Isaan farm family. When the family gathers to eat there's a pig seated at the table. And the pig has three amulets hanging around his neck and a peg leg. The tourist says, "Um, I see you have a pig having dinner with you."

"Yes," says the farmer. "That's because he's a very special pig. You see those amulets around his neck? Well, the first one is from when our youngest son fell in the pond, and he was drowning, and that pig swam out and saved his life. The second amulet, that's from when the cow shed caught fire and our little daughter was trapped in there and the pig ran inside, carried her out and saved her life. And the third one, that's from when our oldest boy was cornered in the pend by a mean bull, and that pig ran under the fence and bit the bull on the tail and saved the boy's life."

"Yes," says the tourist, "I can see why you let that pig sit right at the table and have dinner with you. And I can see why you gave him the medals. But how did he get the peg leg?"

"Well," says, the farmer, "a pig like that--you don't eat him all at once." :)

I really don't understand all the arguing here... the free visa period was supposed to start April 1st. The last one was from June 25, 2009 to March 4, 2010 (not sure what the previous ones were if any). It has nothing to do with the red shirt rallies - it had been planned previously.

Delaying the announcement by two weeks was obviously done because of what's been happening. Now that it's gotten much worse than they might have expected, they don't really have a choice but to announce it now - those of us who are in need of visas in the next couple of months have been sitting on our hands waiting for this announcement.

Look - 1000 baht isn't much for a typical foreigner, true. But for example, I'm getting a two-entry tourist visa from the Los Angeles consulate. They cost $35 per entry. That's $70, which I would much rather give to local shop owners and so on in Thailand than to the government bureaucracy. That extra $70 is going to go from me right into the economy in either Chiang Mai or Mae Hong Son... so what is the problem? Combined from all the tourists who are getting free visas, it'll add up, and it may very well encourage people to go that might not have otherwise. You're underestimating the power of getting something for free, even to someone willing to pay thousands for the rest of the trip, and nobody likes paying government administrative fees.

But did the "Free" visa entice you into visiting Thailand, which is the whole inputus behind this program... To increase tourism.

Obviously not. You would come either way. Free visa or Not, Red-shirts or not.

CS