Annual Health Checks

Tonto21

We aren’t getting any younger! Well I’m not anyway. I’ve been very luck….. So far, now 54, still fit’ish and charging around like an 18 year old. But lately I’ve been thinking more and more about starting to get an annual health check. Having considered the fact that far too many people die each year from things, that when you start to feel discomfort or unwell with…….. It’s too late mate, end game! So, maybe there’s something to these pro-active medical checks.

I’m looking at finding somewhere in Chiangmai, I know of some places that do it, but I don’t have a scobbie doo as to their reliability and integrity, let’s face it, this is a life I'm talking about… Mine!

So! Any recommendations or places to avoid ideally in Chiangmai and any good or bad experiences, but please, I don’t really want to read about your cancerous sores, itchy Chalfont’s, crutch rot and weeping appendages, as fascinating as it will be I just need to know about services available and there trustworthiness.

dont know where you re from, mate, but if you really want something that is reliable - meaning nobody will try to scare you with imaginary disease just in order to sell you a new treatment, surgery or anything expensive - just go home for a week.if you really are concerned with your health this would be the best move. if you are Northerm european this might be free - cover by the government - at least in "decent" countries- without the need for an expensive insurance.

I dont give you the direction of my doctor - ultimate technology, excellent person here as these would involve talking about things you dont like - or fear - cancer for instance :-)

Hi michskip, Yer, you’ve raised an issue I hadn’t conceded, false diagnosis to aid cash flow….. I know it gets done, but I don’t want to go into this all paranoid, any diagnosis that I’m given which requires any sort of follow up and cost, I would go and get a blind test done somewhere else for confirmation.

I will be in the UK in Aug, I think I’ll look around, try and find somewhere in CM, if I’m not happy I’ll do it in the UK.

Thanks PeaceBlondie, I’ll check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it is ok to bump this up. I am 35 and want to just get a basic checkout, check my cholesterol, blood etc.

Nothing wrong with me at the moment but just want a thorough going over. I understand Bumrungrad offers something like this but I think it is about 7000 baht or so. Any other recommendations around BKK, or is Bumi the best place to go for this?

Is there a certain diagnostic/general health exam I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Pretty much all the hospitals offer check up packages and pretty much all of them do the tests OK. The things you need to consider are:

1. Which tests to have: the "packages" on offer do not necessarily constitute the tests that a particular individual needs to have, and they can all be modified by "add ons" of additional test. Unfortunately there is not a single hospital I am aware of which provides adequate counseling before hand to identify what tests a person should have. it is rather run more or less like a restaurant - you select from the menu and that's what you get.

Therefore nothing for it but to do some research yourself on the web.

Certainly the OP, at 54, should get a stress test, PSA and have a manual prostate exam. The last is at no additional cost, part of the physical check, but you may have to request it. Also if never had one, a colonoscopy is recommended, and essential if any family history of cancer of colon or any recent change in bowel movements.

An otherwise healthy 35 year old is probably OK with just a basic (low end price-wise) check up package, just make sure ti includes a full lipid panel (triglycerides, HDL, LDL as well as total cholesterol). Sometimes they don't in which case request them as an "add on", that will still probably be much cheaper than a more expensive package. If any significant past medical history or family history, other tests may also be indicated.

2. How much time and thought is given by the doctor who sees you after the tests are done in interpreting the results. I have to say that my experience with Bumrungrad has been uniformly bad in this regard....a tendency to just tell everyone they are fine rather than to really analyze the results. My personal favorite, and where I myself go, is Samitivej, Drs Anchana and Phichai being especially thorough. Regardless of where you go, look through the test results yourself and insist on a thorough explanation/investigation of any abnormal findings (the normal values are usually shown in brackets).