Problems Buying Toyota Vios

xm911e3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to buy a car in leasing you need job, a work permit and Non B visa plus a guarantee letter from a Thai citizen having a permanent job. That's the way I bought a Vios on my name. I had no problems and I'm still driving.

I'm currently holding a Non B visa. Unfortunately, I'm 2 items short from what you mentioned; job and work permit. Haaa....

Edited by xm911e3

In order to buy a car in leasing you need job, a work permit and Non B visa plus a guarantee letter from a Thai citizen having a permanent job. That's the way I bought a Vios on my name. I had no problems and I'm still driving.

I'm currently holding a Non B visa. Unfortunately, I'm 2 items short from what you mentioned; job and work permit. Haaa....

I wouldn't see too many banks wanting to finance an auto purchase (in any country) for someone without a job nor the legal right to earn an income...but go ahead...knock yourself out trying as there are apparently allot of dumb bankers in the world as we have found out the past couple years :)

I wouldn't see too many banks wanting to finance an auto purchase (in any country) for someone without a job nor the legal right to earn an income...but go ahead...knock yourself out trying as there are apparently allot of dumb bankers in the world as we have found out the past couple years :)

TiT, and the largest banks do finance farang without workpermit. and these banks seem more healthy than the us banks at least

Until your business starts showing income, I believe you will need a responsible (with a job) Thai to co-sign.

Even if my Bangkok Bank statement shows that I've income more than a 100,000B, I still can't buy a car?

I guess if so, I will use my business to buy the car when it starts showing income.

If a Thai is require to co-sign, is the Thai acting as a guarantor and the car belongs to my company or is the car under a Thai's name?

I'm just pissed off with how the Thais work.. One moment it's ok and another moment it's not ok...

Try a different Toyota dealership, it might be OK with them.

How much out the door for a new Vios? What kind of interest rate are they charging you?

The Toyota Vios (E Series) I saw at the showroom is 609,000B and interest rate is 2.7% per annum.

Seems quite a lot. Am i right in saying that the J is about 509,000B? That's what it used to be, and they would usually throw on quite a few extras so it wasn't that far different from an E. Just a thought...

auto, abs and airbags arent easy to throw in

You can get the J with automatic transmission.

And you can get the E with manual transmission.

The difference is airbags and ABS.

The difference is airbags and ABS.

Not quite- airbags are an approximately 30K upgrade on an E. Standard only on G and S models.

When we bought our E with the airbags extra, the sales guy called it an ES model.

The some of the major differences between J and E models are different wheels / tires (alloy and lower profile on an E vs. steel wheels / plastic hubcaps on a J), body-side "door ding" molding, indicators in the front side of the wing mirrors, different interior trim (J is all black, but E is silver / black), remote locking / alarm, and some more that aren't coming to mind.

With regards to the OP's question- our dealer told us that because the government will only give maximum one year of visa, five years of payments presents a considerable risk (Toyota Leasing / Toyota owned dealership).

Having said that, a friend in Phuket had no problem getting financing, so I guess it boils down to individual / privately owned dealers and who they use to underwrite their financing.

So- as someone else suggested, try a few different dealers and see if you can find one who will play ball with you.

It is my understanding that if the income is not being made in Thailand, you will need a co-signer. The car can be in your name, but the Thai would be held responsible for the debt. If it was me, I would buy used and pay cash.

I can get my Thai girlfriend to be a guarantor for me. I will pay for downpayment and monthly installments as long as the car is in my name.

Talking about 2nd hand cars in Thailand, my girlfriend and I snooped around the 2nd hand car dealers and the price between a 2nd hand car and a new car is merely 100,000B or less in difference (might as well buy a new one). The old cars range between 5-7 years or more. No warranty or whatsoever. If 2nd hand car constantly gives problem, the only way is pray to god and hopefully he hears.

Car won't be in your name though

Hi FarangBuddha, thank you for sharing here but it seems like your experience in Thailand, I'm sorry to hear that you've met alot of dumb people.

I could be wrong but your case could highly likely be the dumb attracting the dumber :D

Edited by xm911e3

Go to or call Khun Mam at Central Rama 3 on the 4th floor Toyota showroom. Pay 35% down and have a Thai , job or no job, put their name as co-signer and get the car in your name. Tell her Khun Jay sent you....she speaks Engish as well.

Hi hearditallbefore, thank you very much for sharing. Really appreciate it. :)

funny i just got a car under my name 50% down, didnt ask about wp, no thai gaurantor.. just had to show i had monthly income and valid visa. I think its like alot of things around here, keep trying different dealerships and you will get it just dont bring it up :)

funny i just got a car under my name 50% down, didnt ask about wp, no thai gaurantor.. just had to show i had monthly income and valid visa. I think its like alot of things around here, keep trying different dealerships and you will get it just dont bring it up :)

One thing that one should keep in mind is that pretty much like anywhere in the world, dealer's doesn't finance the cars themselves. The decision is someone else's. However, patronage is an interesting ingredient in this part of the world, meaning laws and regulations - or credit rating for that matter - are second in importance to personal connections.

Edited by Forethat

Putting 50% down does seem to make things much easier regarding financing for foreigners and has the advantage of keeping your borrowing down.

One thing that one should keep in mind is that pretty much like anywhere in the world, dealer's doesn't finance the cars themselves. The decision is someone else's. However, patronage is an interesting ingredient in this part of the world, meaning laws and regulations - or credit rating for that matter - are second in importance to personal connections.

very true. thats why choise of sales staff in showroom is cruisial for car finance terms. even interest.

in 2006 my exGF and I took delivery of 3 Toyotas, yaris and vigo top mod in my name, Camry 2,4 in here name. all financed, with max 25% down, all pushed through by senior sales staff. No WP for me, no taxed income for her.

Putting 50% down does seem to make things much easier regarding financing for foreigners and has the advantage of keeping your borrowing down.

well that depends on the total price of the car though, 50% on a 12 mil baht car is exponentialy more risk than 50 % on a 600k car. But in the term of financing 50% vs 25% isnt a huge difference in monthly payments..

very true. thats why choise of sales staff in showroom is cruisial for car finance terms. even interest.

in 2006 my exGF and I took delivery of 3 Toyotas, yaris and vigo top mod in my name, Camry 2,4 in here name. all financed, with max 25% down, all pushed through by senior sales staff. No WP for me, no taxed income for her.

in 2006 was everything more easy. We bought our rental cars with 10% down only. Now they want 25 or 30% at least.

How much out the door for a new Vios? What kind of interest rate are they charging you?

The Toyota Vios (E Series) I saw at the showroom is 609,000B and interest rate is 2.7% per annum.

So would that 2.7% over a 5 year period equate to 12.5% ie, 2.7%x 5

in 2006 my exGF and I took delivery of 3 Toyotas, yaris and vigo top mod in my name, Camry 2,4 in here name.

Lucky her. If you are going to be giving away cars to women, surely the Yaris would have been a more prudent choice - or was she really that good? :)

in 2006 my exGF and I took delivery of 3 Toyotas, yaris and vigo top mod in my name, Camry 2,4 in here name.

Lucky her. If you are going to be giving away cars to women, surely the Yaris would have been a more prudent choice - or was she really that good? :D

I would have said in my case if it were my G/F i would give her the pick up as no way would she get 12 family members in a Yaris :)

Lucky her. If you are going to be giving away cars to women, surely the Yaris would have been a more prudent choice - or was she really that good? :)

yes she was :D

and the camry in pearl white was perfect for her :D

Lucky her. If you are going to be giving away cars to women, surely the Yaris would have been a more prudent choice - or was she really that good? :D

Free cars usually are pretty perfect - although saying that i don't know what she did to earn it. :D

Anyway, don't forget your good friends here on Thaivisa next time you are dishing out luxury vehicles. Not all needy causes come in petite sexy little bodies you know? :)

Free cars usually are pretty perfect - although saying that i don't know what she did to earn it. :D

Anyway, don't forget your good friends here on Thaivisa next time you are dishing out luxury vehicles. Not all needy causes come in petite sexy little bodies you know? :)

she didint leave with the Camry. loved me to much :D:D

We traded Camry for a 2008 Accord 2,4 15 months later. sorry off topic, back to Vios and car finance

We traded Camry for a 2008 Accord 2,4 15 months later.

And what did you trade her for? :D

a few months of misery and JackD :D

split up after 6 years living together

Maybe this should be in another thread?

:)

:D

yepp, tried that in post 54, but it would be kinda rude not to reply to a direct question, wouldnt it? sorry, back to topic :)

:)

Yeah that was my fault.

I never understand though why some get upset about an occasional light-hearted interlude within a thread. The discussion is (or was :D ) buying a car, not coping with cancer of the bowel. Lighten up.

I never understand though why some get upset about an occasional light-hearted interlude within a thread. The discussion is (or was :) ) buying a car, not coping with cancer of the bowel. Lighten up.

Because I have enough crap to sift through in my inbox. When I subscribe to a thread about buying a car in Thailand, that is what I would like to reading about. Now I am getting off topic...

OP, I hope you will let us know how it works out for you. It would be interesting to know what dealers are farang friendly.