New Car Red License Plates

Driving from Pattaya to Bangkok, a police officer pulled me up and fined me 200bht for having the red plates, i couldnt get a reason for the fine, I called my solicitor and she said just pay the police man.

The most popular cause for a stop on that road is driving in the passing lane.

Driving from Pattaya to Bangkok, a police officer pulled me up and fined me 200bht for having the red plates, i couldnt get a reason for the fine, I called my solicitor and she said just pay the police man.

Reason for the fine: his wife probably needed a new mobile

Driving with Red Plates is asking for problem

I think you are not allowed to leave Bangkok when you still have them

The toll way is the favorite spot for the policemen to stop innocent farangs

Edited by Butterfly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Let's move this old thread to Motoring.

IIRC the 6-6 and home province only rules were removed some years back, anyone confirm?

yep

new rules are

max 30 days/3.000km from day of delivery or day of 1st time Insuance.

24 hour/all over Thailand

legal red plates come with a A5 size brown reg book and each trip must be logged in book before trip starts. Illegal redplates (no reg book) are very common, as dealers do not have sufficient legal ones

in general I just fill in Phuket- Nong Kai- Phuket in incredible ugly hand writing, and change date and time in a hurry if pulled over

If milage is a problem, I set tripmeter less than 3k km visible, and odo not visible

IIRC the 6-6 and home province only rules were removed some years back, anyone confirm?

yep

new rules are

legal red plates come with a A5 size brown reg book and each trip must be logged in book before trip starts. Illegal redplates (no reg book) are very common, as dealers do not have sufficient legal ones

in general I just fill in Phuket- Nong Kai- Phuket in incredible ugly hand writing, and change date and time in a hurry if pulled over

If milage is a problem, I set tripmeter less than 3k km visible, and odo not visible

Including Home - Tesco - Home type trips of 5kms?

yep

new rules are

Including Home - Tesco - Home type trips of 5kms?

well, thats what the rules say, I d say Phuket- Nong Kai would cover it :)

Took delivery of a new car yesterday, illegal red plate/no book, but expect no problem within Phuket province until white plates in a month

Hopefully they do not enforce the 30 days/3000km rule as well. Coming up 3 months on red plates and of course getting the floods delay story.

OK so the dealer was under water for a few weeks, but was the place that does the plates as well? The dealer is on Chaeng Wattana so maybe the DLT office is Chatuchak?

Going up to Roi Et next month and there are 5 spots along the way where I got pulled over and have to show the book last time I went that way. Must be a nice little earner for the BIB of fines (tea) for fake plates. Interesting that a dmax pickup on red plates directly ahead was waved through and me in a PJS got pulled over. Maybe more tea from a higher grade vehicle.

Cheers

Hopefully they do not enforce the 30 days/3000km rule as well. Coming up 3 months on red plates and of course getting the floods delay story.

OK so the dealer was under water for a few weeks, but was the place that does the plates as well? The dealer is on Chaeng Wattana so maybe the DLT office is Chatuchak?

Going up to Roi Et next month and there are 5 spots along the way where I got pulled over and have to show the book last time I went that way. Must be a nice little earner for the BIB of fines (tea) for fake plates. Interesting that a dmax pickup on red plates directly ahead was waved through and me in a PJS got pulled over. Maybe more tea from a higher grade vehicle.

Cheers

worse case buy a new Por Or Bor, compulsory insurance, as the 30 days count from its date. 645 baht. and zero trip same day ;)

Cheers

worse case buy a new Por Or Bor, compulsory insurance, as the 30 days count from its date. 645 baht. and zero trip same day ;)

Good idea on the insurance, however I have a feeling on the PJS the odo stays displayed all the time and the trip is displayed below. Away at work so cannot check until I get back in Jan. Extra reason to hassle the dealer for the proper plates though. Maybe carry extra tea money and try the it was all flooded excuse if still do not have proper plates by the time we go, hopefully a bit of latitude as long as the rest is done properly.

Cheers

why can't they register the car officially in a day or two, max 1 week, before being released to be driven by owners of the vehicle.

stick an L sticker on the bumpers for new drivers, instead of fabricating a new red plate and then produce another regular plate, saving tonnes of metal

why can't they register the car officially in a day or two, max 1 week, before being released to be driven by owners of the vehicle.

stick an L sticker on the bumpers for new drivers, instead of fabricating a new red plate and then produce another regular plate, saving tonnes of metal

new car can be registered when its invoiced by car dealer and supplier.

supplier want to be paid before releasing invoice

dealer want to be paid before issuing invoice

customer want to take off at moment of payment

cars are supplied dealer on credit, often up to six months interest free credit, so some dealers delay paying supplier as long as possible

registration with all docs in hand takes an hour, done it a few times myself

the red plates are used over and over again, for decades

Cheers

Good idea on the insurance, however I have a feeling on the PJS the odo stays displayed all the time and the trip is displayed below. Away at work so cannot check until I get back in Jan. Extra reason to hassle the dealer for the proper plates though. Maybe carry extra tea money and try the it was all flooded excuse if still do not have proper plates by the time we go, hopefully a bit of latitude as long as the rest is done properly.

Cheers

This problem looks like it has been solved as they are saying new plates are at dealers, and they will come out and swap over next week, even gave the TGF the plate number so looking good (I am away at work so cannot drive to dealer).

I can imagine trying to get the dealer to come to your house in Oz, to do something on your car. Chances of that happening would be between zero and none :D

Cheers

Let's not forget red plates come with restrictions. So they aren't just a temporary stop gap measure until the real plates arrive. The only rational explanation I can think of for only being able to drive daylight hours and only roam short distances and anyone infringing on these sticking out like a sore thumb is to assure the driver has time to become accustomed to a new car before using the car in less familiar / less safe settings.

Amazing. Weeks went by with Ford promising to return calls to me, get my plates as soon as possible, failed promises, even lying to me saying I'd told them I wanted the plates in the new year...... I emailed head office in Thailand, no response........ Brainwave, I emailed Ford UK on Sunday explaining I was getting nowhere and could they please find someone in the Thailand who could get me my plates by the 23rd as I needed to drive to Bangkok and currently I assume my insurance is invalid as the 30 days has passed.

Last night I received a cc of an email from Ford UK complaints to someone in Thailand. This morning, 4 calls. 2 to me and 2 to my Thai friend. I can pick my plates up today and the book and the rest of the paperwork will be ready by Friday. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

got car 12 aug, drove to Puket and Krabi without plates, did not get stopped.

got red plates 29 aug and green ones 31st....all set.

Dealer just does not have enough red ones I think.

What do the 'green ones' indicate?

Next house down in the Village bought a new top of the range Vigo 3 weeks before the floods, now 3 months on still on red plates, he was told yesterday maybe end of Feb before he will get his white plates = 5 months.. ! will be about 15,000 km on RED plates