So Who Won?

Abrak

We seem to be entering the end game now.

A lot of Reds feel they have made their point and others simply need to get back to their lives. The Government is taking a hard line that disuption can only be tolerated to a certain degree. Protest numbers have dwindled and the Government is making it increasingly clear that additional resistance will be futile. The relatively few remaining protesters will go back home (perhaps in the belief they have achieved much of their goal) and those who resist will probably get little sympathy given the intentions now implicit in the security forces.

So who has won?

Imagine it was a boxing match.

The deaths in Saturday a week ago were a knock down punch that floored the Government. Protesters with a 'cause' score well against military force. It simply legitimizes the cause of the protesters.

The Government have scored numerous points victories - little victories not accounting exactly to a knock out punch but at least scoring....

a) After the violence no blame was placed specifically on either the Government or the military by the security forces or by the Government. It was essentially classed as an 'unfortunate accident.'\

:) Abhisit has down played his role and played the 'terrorist' factor - keeping out of the media spotlight. He has left things to the the security forces, making it a security issue, rather than a political one.

So as I see it the Reds have scored a victory on the international media front. They have given their cause a bit of legitimacy.

On the domestic front I suspect that Abhisit and the Democrats will end up winners here. Political uncertainty is a fact of life here and it is how you handle it that matters. He made a few mistakes but kept a cool head (not that surprisingly.) In terms of domestic votes at an election, I suspect he will end up the winner.