Going Home. My 3 Year Stay Is Comming To An End.

garyk

And what about that rather silly statement: "why anyone would want to stay here if they have the means and opportunity to live in a industrialized country."? which actually proves his inability to give any advice in this matter.

Poorly worded but closely after the lovely Thai people, the low cost of living is one of the prime attractions. I don't know why the OP likes the weather...always too hot for me.

My father's social security is US$1400/mo. He lives meagerly in Wisconsin on this amount but 40k baht/mo would be rather comfortable in Thailand.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my view: Any Farang Male, that claims that the woman factor (as described above), does not play a role for him staying in Thailand is an apologist. Apologising for something no apology IMHO is necessary. Cheers !

Naw, we're gay. :)

You may be under estimating or don't remember the cost of maintaining your good health in your home country. Maybe you have not been hit by health care costs in your home country. I have recently, and just just for a relatively simple operation called UPPP lasting 45 minutes to stop my snoring in connection with sleep apnea. I was in the hospital for about 23 hours (they turn you out withing 23 hours so the insurance company charges me for higher copays under "outpatient" benefits). The bills by each of these health care providers follow:

Surgeon $4,772

Anesthesiologist $931

Hospital $21,331.88

Well the insurance company settled with each of the above for the following amounts

Surgeon $918.92

Anesthesiologist $744.80

Hospital $2,367.00

My copays were

Surgeon $137.84

Anesthesiologist $111.72

Hospital $354.97

I live in a low cost of living area of the US. My costs would have been $300 more but I had already satisfied a $300 annual deductible due to the $950 sleep study I had to partially pay with the deductible. That's in addition to the $180 charge (my copay was $20) from the family doctor who does an initial referral to the surgeon and then settles the $180 bill with Blue Cross Blue Shield for $95.10.

So if you don''t have/pay for insurance I guess you pay the full charge and I doubt if a doctor/hospital would negotiate much with you on his fees so most people really need health insurance and it isn't cheap.

Dentists are expensive too relative to costs in Thailand. My wife had a three tooth bridge replaced at a cost of $3,131 recently. My recent routine 6 month checkup and cleaning was $133.

Maybe Thailand isn't so bad after all unless you want to roll the dice and do not carry health insurance or live in a country where the government will pay the bill in full for you.

:) GaryK, You seem to have summed it up pretty good. I personally left 3 years ago with my Thai wife and daughter for us it was the right decision. Everyone's situation is unique and only you can decide what is best. When I left 3 years ago I was called a "Malcontent whiny loser" by some on TV. Some of these same people have now left as well. In my experience the ability to stay and actually enjoy Thailand depends on ones financial status. I found myself at a relatively young age living/existing in Thailand on a rather meagre income. I was with a younger wife and young daughter,found myself in a situation with no real oppurtunity and decided it was time for me to repatriate. My wife had urged me for a couple of years to go back home. I was still in that phase where I would have have done anything to stay in Thailand. Once the spell was broken after spending almost a year away back home . I realized that what I missed most was my Family.

Considering the current politcal,economic and social climate in Thailand, Exchange rates, visas, future,etc. I would expect a mass exodus of Farangs. Prior to the 1987 Asian Economic crash the Thai Bt was trading at 25/$1. After the devaluation this led to a huge expansion of Farangs that could suddenly with their finacial means live quite comfortably in Thailand.

LL

Edited by llso

Prior to the 1987 Asian Economic crash the Thai Bt was trading at 25/$1. After the devaluation this led to a huge expansion of Farangs that could suddenly with their finacial means live quite comfortably in Thailand.

In real terms, it was much cheaper before the crash for foreigners who did not live like a poor Thai. Many farang oriented businesses raised their prices far and above what it would take to match the dollar. Just as an example, the best hotel buffet in CM went from 150 baht to over 500 and they were certainly not the only ones.

:) UG, That is very interesting, and makes perfect sense to me that they would try to maintain the relative price levels on the high end.

When I arrived in BKK in 2000 with a suitcase to start a new life and job in my late 30's it seemed pretty cheap to me. I believe now that that was the end of an era. The last years of the "Golden Age". Incidentally that year was when Taksins reign began, and of course we all know the "rest of the story".

LL

I know of 3 reasons why Farang Men prefer Thailand over other Tropical Paradises:

1) It's the easy woman ( in tourist hub's = not so easy in the "boonies")

2) It's the easy woman ( in tourist hub's = not so easy in the "boonies")

3) It's the easy woman ( in tourist hub's = not so easy in the "boonies")

Why?

- If you have seen 3 Temples, you have seen them all.

- Thai Culture is not of much interest to Farangs. As there is not much interest in Farang Culture on the part of Thai people. Exept when it comes to consumerism and the products that originate from "the west".

- All around the Aequator (looking at the globe) the weather ist mostly nice (warm to hot).

- There are any number of tropical countries that feature the same "easy going lifestyle". = But the women are not quite that "easy"! = Voilà!

But then: WHAT IS WRONG WITH ADMITTING, THAT "THE WOMEN" ARE A MAJOR FACTOR FOR A FARANG-MAN TO PREFER THAILAND OVER SO MANY OTHER COUNTRYS ?

In my view: Any Farang Male, that claims that the woman factor (as described above), does not play a role for him staying in Thailand is an apologist. Apologising for something no apology IMHO is necessary. Cheers !

What's wrong with it is that you are speaking as if all men have the values you have and share with Sarahsbloke.

They claim nothing at all, but live here without any interest in "easy women". I know many here on Samui/Phangan. There are also many Farang couples here, young and old. Some since 20 plus year. Some working, others pensioners. And they really enjoy many other aspects than the night scene in the South of Thailand - nature for one.

I personally left 3 years ago with my Thai wife and daughter for us it was the right decision.

So you were here for that same reason that everyone else is ....... but got take-out.

1) It's the easy woman ( in tourist hub's = not so easy in the "boonies")

Actually it's just as easy in the boonies, maybe even easier, definately cheaper.

They claim nothing at all, but live here without any interest in "easy women". I know many here on Samui/Phangan. There are also many Farang couples here, young and old. Some since 20 plus year. Some working, others pensioners. And they really enjoy many other aspects than the night scene in the South of Thailand - nature for one.

OK...lets put it this way then....Statistically speaking the the vast majority are here for "easy women"... :)

Edited by Soutpeel

And what about that rather silly statement: "why anyone would want to stay here if they have the means and opportunity to live in a industrialized country."? which actually proves his inability to give any advice in this matter.

Poorly worded but closely after the lovely Thai people, the low cost of living is one of the prime attractions. I don't know why the OP likes the weather...always too hot for me.

My father's social security is US$1400/mo. He lives meagerly in Wisconsin on this amount but 40k baht/mo would be rather comfortable in Thailand.

its no secret the lower cost of ez wimmin is a draw :):D:D . just last night $62 for 2 hours , thai massage-sex inclusive with a very attractive 25 year old-just like going to a ball game in america.

Edited by franzzz

its no secret the lower cost of ez wimmin is a draw :D:D:D . just last night $62 for 2 hours , thai massage-sex inclusive with a very attractive 25 year old-just like going to a ball game in america.

And there we have a very honest answer... :)

As so many people do, you have the very bad habit of judging others by your own poor standards!

I'm very doubtful about guys who claim that the availability of hot girls wasn't a factor in their initial decision to spend extended time in Thailand.

When I came to Thailand age 24, I came to sleep in a 3 quid a night bamboo bungalow on the beach. I tossed a coin between Thailand and Bali. I'm very glad it was tails!

OK...lets put it this way then....Statistically speaking the the vast majority are here for "easy women"... :)

Tourists maybe. Tourists to certain areas undoubtedly. Long termers, don't think so. Why are so many Farang fluent in Thai. So they can explain what position they're after??

Certain kinds of people will only ever meet people of the same mind set, that is normal. Try to be less self involved and realise, that just because that's all you see, that's not all that exists.

Anyway, this wasn't about morals or bar girls for me. This was about a man who thought because he had failed to make himself happy here, and lasted a very small amount of time, that he should advise others to stay away, because they will surely fail as well!

If I had a business selling cars, and it had just gone tits up. I then came on here and said "listen up guys, don't try to make a living selling cars, it won't work, you'll lose every thing". People would think I was a <deleted>, and I would be inundated by replies from successful car salesmen, telling me so. What he did is exactly the same.

Let me see. A self confessed sexpat's leaving Thailand. One down another couple or so million to go.

Who knows? Maybe some day Thailand's nightlife may have something else to offer other than sad bored tarts slumping over a hastily thrown up bamboo 'bar' (islands) or looking bored whilst shuffling around a chrome pole Bangkok/Pattaya.

We can dream.

Based on your post..its appears you have a lot of experience as regards bamboo bars and chrome poles then ??... :D

What a wit, Wilde must be turning in his grave :) But you're right of course. Having forgone the charms if Isaan in my search for a fresh billet after an island, the city is the next step. All with the same 'nightlife'.

If you know of anywhere I might spend an evening, without it being either an Irish pub, a techno club, or row after row of bored tarts, please do let me know. Although I'm willing to bet your level of sophistication doesn't allow for anything other than the aforgoing.

Let me see. A self confessed sexpat's leaving Thailand. One down another couple or so million to go.

Who knows? Maybe some day Thailand's nightlife may have something else to offer other than sad bored tarts slumping over a hastily thrown up bamboo 'bar' (islands) or looking bored whilst shuffling around a chrome pole Bangkok/Pattaya.

We can dream.

Based on your post..its appears you have a lot of experience as regards bamboo bars and chrome poles then ??... :D

What a wit, Wilde must be turning in his grave :) But you're right of course. Having forgone the charms if Isaan in my search for a fresh billet after an island, the city is the next step. All with the same 'nightlife'.

If you know of anywhere I might spend an evening, without it being either an Irish pub, a techno club, or row after row of bored tarts, please do let me know. Although I'm willing to bet your level of sophistication doesn't allow for anything other than the aforgoing.

Ah Oscar Wilde...you mentioning him gives some insight to your adversion to bamboo bars and row after row of bored tarts, I get it now.... not your scene... :D

Tourists maybe. Tourists to certain areas undoubtedly. Long termers, don't think so. Why are so many Farang fluent in Thai. So they can explain what position they're after??

That and getting things cheaper than tourists do. It is not to better understand Thai culture and that is for sure. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Of course there is no way to disclaim that this place is a heaven for sexpats. And there are some good aspects in this too, such as all the hopeless cases back home can have an easy lover (remember that song?).

Re statistics: yes I would like to see such a statistic > link please

Edited by Birdman

Me and a couple of friends(tourists) were trying to get across Second Rd,in Pattaya,and a friend wasnt happy about the traffic and the thais pushing carts everywhere.Just about summed it up for me,i bloody well loved it,the hustle and bustle,the smells,the lively atmosphere.You either love it or hate it,Thailand what a wonderful place.

Re statistics: yes I would like to see such a statistic > link please

I am sure this statisic is recorded somewhere in the TAT databases.... :)

"Can we take 5 minutes of your time to complete the following survey questions ?......What is your reason for coming to Thailand ?"

A. See the Temples

B. Experience Thai Culture

C. Visit the beaches

D.Hit as many beer bars as you can and bar fine as many females as possible ?

That and getting things cheaper than tourists do. It is not to better understand Thai culture and that is for sure. :D

That says absolutely nothing about Thailand and everything about you!

I didn't come here for the girls, I was trying to avoid them ......

But like everyone else, I gave into the inevitable.

Doesn't matter if you go to the bars every night, marry an educated hi-so or somewhere in between, in the end you are here for the girls.

(or maybe I should say Thai casual approach to sex, so that gays/ladies don't feel left out)

Those who fail usually go home. Some go home anyway and take a girl with them.

Come on guys prove me wrong, if you haven't had a sexual experience with a Thai partner, post now.

(HOw about it Birdman ..... fess up!)

Edited by sarahsbloke

After three years, my wife is seriously thinking about leaving Thailand. Simply because it is too difficult and uncertain. In the past, we have turned down relocation to various choices, but we are now investing in options to relocate nearby.

For the OP, I can understand that if he came here for the poverty (idyllic lifestyle) and social inequality (cheap tarts) then I can see that might wear thin after a while; certainly, three years of living the dream would be like a waking nightmare for most of us - I'm lucky to be able to wake up to a wife and family...

If you're just doing the same thing over and over with no objective but your own physical satisfaction, and with no other criteria for success than your own satisfaction, well that is just wanking, and you can do that for nothing at home; and its certainly no basis to build your life around.

SC

OK...lets put it this way then....Statistically speaking the the vast majority are here for "easy women"... :D

That says absolutely nothing about Thailand and everything about you!

Me and most of the honest men around. :)

do people really come to bkk for other than nightlife?

Yes. Some for work. Some for lifestyle. Some for education. Some because its easier or cheaper than living where their work is, but nearby. There really is a lot more to Thailand than the places you and I go.

That's like saying "do people really go to Scotland for other than the whisky?"

SC

Me and most of the honest men around.

I'm totally with you on this one UG.

Some sex tourists come for 10 nights and have 10 partners.

Some sex tourists come here for 10 years and have one partner.

Definition of sex tourist

Person who travels to a foreign country to have sex with a foreign national.

That's definition pretty much covers everyone who has ever posted on this forum (male and female).

Edited by sarahsbloke

Me and most of the honest men around.

I'm totally with you on this one UG.

Some sex tourists come for 10 nights and have 10 partners.

Some sex tourists come here for 10 years and have one partner.

Definition of sex tourist

Person who travels to a foreign country to have sex with a foreign national.

That's definition pretty much covers everyone who has ever posted on this forum (male and female).

I think you'll find there has to be a monetry transaction involved for it to be classed as sex tourism. If someone comes to Thailand working, meets his future partner somewhere other than a bar, then that is called normal life.

I know full well that you are one of the pathetic individuals on TV who thinks he pushes peoples buttons, and winds them up. However I can also tell that you mean a lot of what you say, which makes you a very sad little man. Come to think of it, you have classic 'small man syndrome'. You're not 5' 6" by any chance?

8>< SNIP - NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

...You're not 5' 6" by any chance?

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Not sure of your choice of catch, but I suppose there's good eating in catfish

SC

PS personally didn't feel that the nested and deleted post merited a reply, and certainly not repetition