To Hesitate Or Be Indecisive

bannork

Reading 'The Daily News' yesterday, I noticed the editorial's headline:

ชักฟอกรัฐบาลฝ่ายค้านโลเล -The Opposition hesitate regarding a censure motion against the government.

My question concerns โลเล ลังเล รีรอ รวนเร - do these mean 'indecisive' or do they mean 'hesitate'? The meaning in English is quite different, the former, an adjective, is negative whilst the latter, a verb, often carries no connotations.

I've seen ลังเลใจ suggesting 'indecisive, 'vacillating', an adjective, but without the ใจ is the meaning neutral? ie in 2 minds,รักพี่เสียดายน้อง

ชักฟอกรัฐบาลฝ่ายค้านโลเล -The Opposition hesitate regarding a censure motion against the government.

My question concerns โลเล ลังเล รีรอ รวนเร - do these mean 'indecisive' or do they mean 'hesitate'? The meaning in English is quite different, the former, an adjective, is negative whilst the latter, a verb, often carries no connotations.

I've seen ลังเลใจ suggesting 'indecisive, 'vacillating', an adjective, but without the ใจ is the meaning neutral? ie in 2 minds,รักพี่เสียดายน้อง

My question concerns โลเล ลังเล รีรอ รวนเร - do these mean 'indecisive' or do they mean 'hesitate'?

Hi there Bannork,

a.There are three definitions for 'indecisive'.. 1.irresolute;2.Inconclusive;3.indefinite

b.Hesitate is to hold back or stop temporarily because of having doubts or being uncertain

c.Vacillate is to change back and forth between alternatives,often conflicting ones

d.Waver is to have second thoughts about a decision after it has been made.

It depends on factors like the semantic interpretation of the word and the context in which it's used,so a direct translation Thai/English/Thai is probably inconclusive. :D

But here are my bets anyway... :o

โลเล=to be indecisive,to be irresolute

ลังเล=to vacillate

รีรอ=to hesitate

รวนเร=to waver,to vacillate

Hope it helped some? :D

Snowleopard

Edited by snowleopard

ชักฟอกรัฐบาลฝ่ายค้านโลเล

Bannork,

ซักฟอก 'sak fohk' should be spelt with a ซ โซ่ 'sor soor';and not with a ช ช้าง 'chor chaang'! :o

Cheers,

Snowleopard

ชักฟอกรัฐบาลฝ่ายค้านโลเล
Bannork,

ซักฟอก 'sak fohk' should be spelt with a ซ โซ่ 'sor soor';and not with a ช ช้าง 'chor chaang'! :o

Cheers,

Snowleopard

I thought that the key on the top right was ซโซ ! Now I see it further down.

In the headline mentioned I don't think we can use 'indecisive' as it concerns one action rather than a characteristic and they are also quite right to think twice as their action could backfire if evidence of wrongdoing is scarce.

' รีรอ ' (v.) means to wait, to hestitate, to hold back, to stop.

' ลังเล ' (v.) means to hestitate, to waver,to vacillate, to be uncertain ,to be doubtful

'โลเล ' (adj.) means uncertain, vacillating, unrealiable, unpredictable, wavering.

' รวนเร ' (adj.) means doubtful, indecisive, vacillating, uncertain, wavering.

ซักฟอกรัฐบาลฝ่ายค้านโลเล ' โลเล ' in this sentence means vacillating or wavering which is an adjective but noun was omitted (noun in this sentence is 'decision')