Should You Really Be Here On A Budget?

Alwaysright

To all you ex pats living here,especially the younger ones.All I read is complaining about costs,visa runs etc.If you have problems why are you here?Maybe you should start thinking about your future.Maybe you should consider returning to your country and working for a retirement in style. 

Edited by bonobo
removed derogatory troll sentence.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a temporary stay for a few years to have fun and make memories, sure. If the plan is to have a family, raise kids, and retire here. I would be wary. I won't say it can't be done.

Remember, everyone here has a different standard of living. 200k/month might be extravagant for some and barely making it for others. Location also comes into play, much cheaper in Chiang Mai than Bangkok.

As a Farang, it is very difficult to work and eventually retire over here. The labor and retirement rules work against us so unless you have started a great business overhear and make a bundle of money, my advice to you is to go to your home and make a lot of money then come and retire over here

You sound like a big looser yourself, why spend money that you can avoid to spend. To save it is better so you can plan your future. If you spend all your money like there is no tomorrow and don't care about rising prices then that doesn't sound really smart.

Looks more that your jealous some people can stay here and you can't. I make double (or more) of what i spend but i still don't like the low euro or rising prices. Not liking price hikes does not mean you can't afford it here.

I don't think OP was particularly criticising any specific sub-group of expats - he was just attacking the principle of budgeting and prudent finance, and saying that people who count their pennies (or pounds, depending on their circumstances) are losers.

Having squandered a fortune, I have to say that I find that the people who are not here on a budget, or who fail to stick to their budget, are the losers. Some of the first category may be fortunate if they are frugal, and happen to live within their means, but without a budget, it is easy to lose track and find yourself living well beyond your income.

So in my view, living on a budget and within your means is not the mark of a loser. I might try it one day

SC

Edit: typos corrected

Edited by StreetCowboy

You sound like a big looser yourself, why spend money that you can avoid to spend. To save it is better so you can plan your future. If you spend all your money like there is no tomorrow and don't care about rising prices then that doesn't sound really smart.

Looks more that your jealous some people can stay here and you can't. I make double (or more) of what i spend but i still don't like the low euro or rising prices. Not liking price hikes does not mean you can't afford it here.

I am retired in style. :):D:D:D:D:D

Ah then your a wrinkled old man who cant stand it that the teachers (who are younger and better looking) don't have to pay for their gf and now you start a moan on Thaivisa ? (this is more a joke then a flame just put it here to be sure internet is lousy at conveying the right emotion)

But even if you have loads of money surely you would not like all those price hikes ?.

Edited by robblok

:D

This is actually a topic that concerns me when seeing young expats in Thailand. And by young, I mean under 40. Unless you’ve already made a bundle and are simply enjoying life here, then you are squandering your most productive earning years. Let’s face it, if you’ve come to Thailand with little to no net worth, you’re going to be in trouble later in life. It’s rare to see a working expat who’s making enough to actually save for the future (unless you’re working for a foreign company/govt). And since no job will qualify you for a pension, you’re pretty much on your own to build a nestegg of some sort. It’s rather foolish to be working here at age 28 when you can be working in the west doing the same job for probably 10 times the pay. Maybe some of these young guys don’t look past tomorrow, but I’d never come here to live unless I was already financially sound. A no-brainer, in my mind. Foreigners don’t become rich in Thailand unless they bring it with them!

As a Farang, it is very difficult to work and eventually retire over here. The labor and retirement rules work against us so unless you have started a great business overhear and make a bundle of money, my advice to you is to go to your home and make a lot of money then come and retire over here

Surely foreigners earn more here than they do back home?

Otherwise why move?

Id rather stay here and see what happens...its a better thought than working in the uk until im in my 70s retire then die a year later lol

<deleted> it why do people worry about others.

i can only imagine the old fart that started this topic wishes he was young again :)

seeya

I would recommend a young 20-40 something expat coming here for a 2-3 years to enjoy the life- even in a dead end low paying job- just to experience and enjoy thailand. But after that i agree its important to go back and earn good money during ones prime working years 25-50.

The exception is if you get a good expat post here in Thailand with a foreign company - with housing, car, great salary etc. - took me 8 years living outside Thailand and actively searching before i landed an expat post here. Im 38 but earning same as i would back home.

This is actually a topic that concerns me when seeing young expats in Thailand. And by young, I mean under 40. Unless you’ve already made a bundle and are simply enjoying life here, then you are squandering your most productive earning years. Let’s face it, if you’ve come to Thailand with little to no net worth, you’re going to be in trouble later in life. It’s rare to see a working expat who’s making enough to actually save for the future (unless you’re working for a foreign company/govt). And since no job will qualify you for a pension, you’re pretty much on your own to build a nestegg of some sort. It’s rather foolish to be working here at age 28 when you can be working in the west doing the same job for probably 10 times the pay. Maybe some of these young guys don’t look past tomorrow, but I’d never come here to live unless I was already financially sound. A no-brainer, in my mind. Foreigners don’t become rich in Thailand unless they bring it with them!

Tis true what you say but here is a different example.

Maths teacher in the UK 25k per year. (approx 1800 per month)

Mathes teacher here at a university 80k per month. (approx per month 1800)

The salaries are confirmed one was from the UK last year and the Thai one is a new contract starting in June.

This is a no brainer...You cannot earn 10 times more as a qualified teacher in the UK. Its basically same for same.

Ah then your a wrinkled old man who cant stand it that the teachers (who are younger and better looking) don't have to pay for their gf and now you start a moan on Thaivisa ? (this is more a joke then a flame just put it here to be sure internet is lousy at conveying the right emotion)

But even if you have loads of money surely you would not like all those price hikes ?.

Teachers shouldn't be playing with the students,and should be fired. :D:D:cheesy:

This is actually a topic that concerns me when seeing young expats in Thailand. And by young, I mean under 40. Unless you've already made a bundle and are simply enjoying life here, then you are squandering your most productive earning years. Let's face it, if you've come to Thailand with little to no net worth, you're going to be in trouble later in life. It's rare to see a working expat who's making enough to actually save for the future (unless you're working for a foreign company/govt). And since no job will qualify you for a pension, you're pretty much on your own to build a nestegg of some sort. It's rather foolish to be working here at age 28 when you can be working in the west doing the same job for probably 10 times the pay. Maybe some of these young guys don't look past tomorrow, but I'd never come here to live unless I was already financially sound. A no-brainer, in my mind. Foreigners don't become rich in Thailand unless they bring it with them!

I aqree 100%,the reason for my post.I retired at 46 and am set for life. :):D:D:D:D

This is actually a topic that concerns me when seeing young expats in Thailand. And by young, I mean under 40. Unless you've already made a bundle and are simply enjoying life here, then you are squandering your most productive earning years. Let's face it, if you've come to Thailand with little to no net worth, you're going to be in trouble later in life. It's rare to see a working expat who's making enough to actually save for the future (unless you're working for a foreign company/govt). And since no job will qualify you for a pension, you're pretty much on your own to build a nestegg of some sort. It's rather foolish to be working here at age 28 when you can be working in the west doing the same job for probably 10 times the pay. Maybe some of these young guys don't look past tomorrow, but I'd never come here to live unless I was already financially sound. A no-brainer, in my mind. Foreigners don't become rich in Thailand unless they bring it with them!

I aqree 100%,the reason for my post.I retired at 46 and am set for life. :):D:D:D:D

This is a very intrusive question and feel free to ignore. But can i ask ball park figure of your retirement income per month ? I m thinking about early retirement but am not sure what sort of figure to aim for. I have one friend who recently retired at 45 and his retirement plan consists of rental income from one property in Bangkok at 30,000 baht per month. Seems very risky and impossible for me to do, but hes happy.

I aqree 100%,the reason for my post.I retired at 46 and am set for life. :D:D:D:D:D

I've met several guys who came to Thailand "set for life" and 10 years later were screwed for life.... :)

This is a very intrusive question and feel free to ignore. But can i ask ball park figure of your retirement income per month ? I m thinking about early retirement but am not sure what sort of figure to aim for. I have one friend who recently retired at 45 and his retirement plan consists of rental income from one property in Bangkok at 30,000 baht per month. Seems very risky and impossible for me to do, but hes happy.

My retirement(pension) is 120,000 baht a month,investments another 120,000 baht a month,I can live on one or the other.I never spend my monthly income no matter how hard I try=====PARADISE.

I know a Dutch guy who was disabled while in the Army.  His disability pension is only about 20,000 baht, but he is married, has a son, and has been living here happily for over 10 years now.

I couldn't personally live on that, but it is possible.

My retirement(pension) is 120,000 baht a month,investments another 120,000 baht a month,I can live on one or the other.I never spend my monthly income no matter how hard I try=====PARADISE.

Great-that's similar to a target figure i had in mind.

It's always funny to see how some people tend to project their own failures and shortcomings on others... Just because some people aren't able to pull something off, doesn't by now means mean others can't as well.

I have to agree many old expats dont like the young crowd they resent them in a way. Its not about how much someone earns here or in the west. Prices are lower here too so you can save more. I can save more money here then i could in the West even though i make less then i could make in the west.

Its about earnings minus costs. If i could make here 10 times what i make in the west but the costs are 20 times as high its not smart to stay here then.

Some people just don't get it at all.

Also people can live real cheap in Thailand or really expensive so you should not project your own lifestyle on an other.

I live a lil outside of Bangkok and have a working partner so my costs here are next to nothing. If i had my partner with me in Holland i would be the only earner (hard for Thais to do honest work there) and my costs would be huge.

Every situation is different and you always have to look at what you make minus what you spend.

Tis true what you say but here is a different example.

Maths teacher in the UK 25k per year. (approx 1800 per month)

Mathes teacher here at a university 80k per month. (approx per month 1800)

The salaries are confirmed one was from the UK last year and the Thai one is a new contract starting in June.

This is a no brainer...You cannot earn 10 times more as a qualified teacher in the UK. Its basically same for same.

But what about a maths teacher at a university in UK?

or a maths teacher at a regular school here?

Let's compare the apples to get a proper perspective.