King Power Again

Arrived back yesterday and was in the queue for immigration when some western chap came up to me and asked if he could "go ahead of me as he was having trouble with a group of Thai's behind him".

I assumed he had got into a fight or something, but then he said "I was just in the duty free shop and they accused me of stealing and wanted me to sign some paper admitting it, but I didn't take anything so I told them to fuc_k off and ran here".

I must confess (to my slight shame) that I wasn't the most helpful to him as I was worried he really had stolen something and I was going to get implicated too, so I didn't ask much more.

A big group of shop staff then appeared behind and started just watching (not security, or at least not all dressed up like them) - at this point the guy panicked and tried to just go straight through immigration without even having his passport stamped! (tried to sneak past the guy on the opposite side) - however was stopped by a guard behind, and then taken back to the "shop staff".

Of course he really could have stolen something, but just after reading the stories on here about KP, he may have been telling the truth. I feel kinda bad for not doing anything else to help (I know I couldn't do much, but maybe give my number or something incase he really did run into problems).

Very odd...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a difficult decision. Personally, I'd have tried to help him because I have heard many bad things about King Power, and if they are true, I don't think that the staff will have changed their behaviour. I'd have tried to speak to the staff in Thai. I could have worked out then if the person was being scammed or not.

Yes, somebody elses problem, but if he seemed genuine you should help out, without becoming involved yourself.

After the (reported) widespread scamming by King Power staff a year ago I would not be surprised if it happens again,

as they say " A leopard never changes its spots", King Power the same.

No point in any more speculation without hard facts.

It will be interesting to hear the views the next time this happens to a member of the board

I agree it would be very interesting. But I wonder how many of us would be prepared to walk into a King Power store.

Certianly not for me thanks. :)

^not much worth buying in King Power anyways - think last time I bought anything was some chocolate for some thai mates of mine.

Yeah the shops are rubbish anyway selling mostly tat which you could find at Chatachuk for a fraction of the price. How long until their franchise runs out I wonder??

^yes those shoplifting scum deserved what they got! :) Luckily the CTV proved KP correct - mind you doesnt excuse the extortion attempt, but never the less.

Spoken like a true ex-pig Britmaveric.

For the record I spent 4k b on a pair of Raybans in their shop in Suvanapun. The lenses decayed in about 4 months- snide for sure.

Of course, there is no honour amongst thieves.

Not soon enough, shame can't get a whole host of stores in there.

^ I liked Don Muang better even for duty free shopping. Forget the flash stuff and make it open to the 99% of us who just might want to buy a cheap ipod or camera or a decent bookshop....how about a pub even....a decent restaurant....internet shop...(in absence of free wifi in itself ridiculous)....or even just close them altogether and provide more adequate seating.

Anything would be an improvement on King Power.

Gave up on duty free shopping for anything ..(apart from the odd nice wee bit of cheese when leaving the Dam) over 20 years ago and dosnt bother me one bit ...am a bothered.....Nope.

used to right and complain to the "Boss" at Don Muang .."Lt somebody" about the difference in downtown v Airport prices (early 90s)and got replies :D saying he would see what he could do.

Few months later I checked and the beer price (remember Sing GOLD) in the little departure bar and it had gone DOWN..................so...mai mee

Anyway KP Overpriced and skanky......but supposed aimed just for bored rich toorists........

supprised that Suwanna has any at the mo....... :)

Gave up on duty free shopping for anything ..(apart from the odd nice wee bit of cheese when leaving the Dam) over 20 years ago and dosnt bother me one bit ...am a bothered.....Nope.

used to right and complain to the "Boss" at Don Muang .."Lt somebody" about the difference in downtown v Airport prices (early 90s)and got replies :D saying he would see what he could do.

Few months later I checked and the beer price (remember Sing GOLD) in the little departure bar and it had gone DOWN..................so...mai mee

Anyway KP Overpriced and skanky......but supposed aimed just for bored rich toorists........

^yes those shoplifting scum deserved what they got! :) Luckily the CTV proved KP correct - mind you doesnt excuse the extortion attempt, but never the less.

Spoken like a true ex-pig Britmaveric.

:D :D

For what it's worth I have travelled the world extensively over the years and never found anything I could not get downtown cheaper, along with warranties etc. in any country EWN or S. This applies even before you get your VAT discount when sometimes you can. Sometimes takes a search and talking to locals, but... Duty-free sucks! I even "haggle" in the UK over expensive(ish) items, much to the embarrasment of my daughter :D and ask to talk to the manager as I am waving pound notes. He sometimes has to make a phone call, but it sometimes works!

Thairet

One wonders what has happened in the case of Mr Ingram and Ms Li, who so eloquently pleaded their innocence of shoplifting, even if the face of quite damning video evidence from the King Power store from whence they stole the Givenchy wallet.

When last heard of, they were going to sue the pants off King Power (aided and abetted by the English press, and a local blogger).

Does anyone have an update?

For what it's worth I have travelled the world extensively over the years and never found anything I could not get downtown cheaper,

So please tell us where you buy your bottles of Black or Chivas cheaper downtown than in the airport.

Edit: In Thailand.

Edited by PattayaParent

For what it's worth I have travelled the world extensively over the years and never found anything I could not get downtown cheaper,

So please tell us where you buy your bottles of Black or Chivas cheaper downtown than in the airport.

Edit: In Thailand.

The cheapest shop for spirits I have found is Thaniya Spirits about 3 doors from O'Reilly's (Sala Daeng) on Thaniya.

If I remember correctly Macallan 12 year single malt is just less than 2000 baht, while the Tops/Foodland price is about 2500 baht. All other prices are also less but not by such a large margin. Not sure of the Duty Free price though.

Despite what the OP might have read in the newspaper and in the TV threads, it's still illegal to steal. If you intend on doing so, you are likely to find yourself in a difficult situation. Act accordingly.

Sounds like it's business as usual at King Power. These staff must sit around all day waiting to pounce like perched vultures waiting for a victim.

If King Power indeed was trying to scam an innocent man, I don't think they'd have chased him down. But who knows??? I do know that there are some low life farangs here in Thailand.

Sounds like it's business as usual at King Power. These staff must sit around all day waiting to pounce like perched vultures waiting for a victim.

If King Power indeed was trying to scam an innocent man, I don't think they'd have chased him down. But who knows??? I do know that there are some low life farangs here in Thailand.

As well as some low life personnel at the airport.