Applying For Non Imm “o” Marriage In Portland Or

Hello. I'll give some background before my question: My wife of 6 years and I live in Seattle WA in the States. I am planning on applying for a 1 year multi entry Non Imm "O" based on my marriage to a Thai citizen. Planning on moving to BKK in October (the wife a month or 2 ahead of me). Portland has an Honorary consulate and I am planning on applying there for my visa. Unfortunately they have not returned my e-mails and calls. My wife is a Thai citizen and also a US permanent resident and I am a US citizen. We were married in the US and therefore our marriage documents are from the county where we were married (nothing Thai). I have my wife's Thai ID card and house registration available.

So my questions:

Does anyone have any experience or advice with the Portland Consulate? Specifically what documents they like to see?

How soon can I apply for this visa if I plan on arriving in BKK in October? This is something I would like to strike off my "to do" list but I don't know if the visa needs to be used within a certain time of issuance.

Does anyone have any pointers I didn't ask about?

Thanks, Thaivisa is a great site I have learned quite a bit from reading these posts.

I was issued a Non-Imm O multiple entry visa March of this year based on visiting friends and possible medical treatments. It was issued without formality and within 30 min. of my arrival, I had documents from a Thai hospital, but she seems unconcerned and only glanced at them. She answered all my prior e-mails, but I never spoke to her on the phone. I see no problem with her issuing you a Non-Imm O Visa.

She did mention that she was being limited in providing certain types of Visa's (retirement)-I believe). Why she is not answering you is rather strange. I do hope this Honorary Consulate continues as it much friendlier nd accommodating than LA Consulate.

However, since your visa is straight forward and you have a Thai citizen as a wife I think LA consulate would also be accommodating. You should have visa in hand about 2 weeks before departure to be on the safe side.

You can have the visa extended yearly based on Marriage at Thailand immigration, 400,000 baht in Bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.

I have been living in Thailand and the U.S. since 2006, I have been given both non immigration type O multiple entry and retirement visas from the consulate in Portland Or. no problems. The consulate is a partime consulate only open for visas part time, I beleive in the afternoon. The person whom you need to talk to is Mary, she can advise you but you will need a copy of your marriage cert., should only take about a half hour, no appointment needed.

How soon can I apply for this visa if I plan on arriving in BKK in October? This is something I would like to strike off my "to do" list but I don't know if the visa needs to be used within a certain time of issuance.

As Lopburi said, a 'single entry' Non Imm O is all you need if you intend to stay in Thailand by applying for a one-year extension of stay during the 90 days you are stamped in for. But, if you plan to go in October, a 'single entry' visa is only valid for 3-months, so you'll have to wait until late July/August -- at the earliest -- to apply.

If money is no concern ($65 vs $175), a multiple entry Non Imm O can be obtained now (it's valid for one-year) -- plus, you'll have some extra utility to do 90-day border runs should somehow your extension application hit a snag.

But, forget Portland. Presumably, you don't plan to drive there from Seattle, fight traffic and parking, and remain overnight awaiting their processing? And, you're not the only one who hasn't gotten a reply to their email, so don't know what's what down there....

Easiest way is to email Houston, asking for their application and requirements documents. Then, do your application by mail. Guaranteed they'll respond. Here's the particulars:

Sarah Andriamanana

Visa Section/Honorary Consulate-General of the Kingdom of Thailand

600 Travis, Suite 2000

Houston, Texas 77002 USA

713.335.3995 office

713.228.1303 fax

[email protected]

www.fosterquan.com

Sarah's their new kid there, and more than glad to help.

You'll find their list of requirements for a Non Imm O straightforward:

1. Filled out application (they'll provide the blank), plus two passport sized photos.

2. Copy of marriage certificate.

3. Copy of wife's Thai ID or Thai passport (latter more desirable, as name is in English).

4. "Recent" bank statement, showing at least $500.

5. Money order made out to "Thai Consulate" for $175 (or $65 for single entry).

6. Self-addressed, postage paid (or Fedex equivalent) envelope.

My recommendation. Use "Priority mail' envelopes for sending and returning, attaching certified stickers to both (you'll keep both stubs) for tracking and added safety.

Driving a few blocks to you post office, then having your new visa delivered to your door (per certified mail) less than a week later, beats the shiite out of driving to Portland.

And, per a friend a few weeks back, I guarantee your situation will go very smoothly.

Good luck.

JimGant's suggestion of Houston seems ideal.

I'll pass along an Oregonian's experience in Portland last Jan while he was visiting with his Thai wife. They applied for a "marriage visa" together in person. The lady wanted to see the wife's Thai ID, housebook, and marriage cert, besides his passport, application, and photo. That was it. Nothing about money in the bank.

Let me know if you need more details from him...

From my own experience, it's best to apply about a month before departure to LOS.