Lifan 250 Motard

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02.jpg

Seen these talked about on mychinamoto forums, seem they are better than average for chinese cheapies..

That pic comes from .in.th site.. Unpacking in Thailand..

Has it passed emissions ?? Does it have an OTR price yet ??

Richard-bkk where are YOU. Questions asked whats the answer?

MORE INFO FROM LIFAN WEBSITE. NOTICE ONLY 5 SPEED GEARBOX

<H5 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt" align=left>Motorcycle model: LF250GY-7

Dimension ((L×B×H mm):2200*860*1240

Wheel base (mm):1420

Min.Ground Clearance (mm): 220

Dry Weight:148kg

Height Of Seat (mm): 870

Fuel Tank Capacity(L): 12

Engine Type:Single-cylinder, water-cooled,four-stroke

Engine model: 172MM-2

Bore×Stroke: 72mm*61.2mm

Displacement: 249.2ml

Maximum Net Power 13.2kw/7500r/min

Maximum Torque:19N.m/5500r/min

Clutch: Wet multi-plate

Lubrication: Pressure/splash

Start: Electric start

Ignition:.T.C.I

Transmission: 5 gear

Max. Speed (km/h): 100km/h

Economical Fuel Consumption (l/100km): ≤2.4L/100km

Front Type Size and Air Pressure: 2.75-21/200KPa

Rear Type Size and Air Pressure: 4.10-18/225KPa

Climbing Ability (°): ≥23°

Exhaust Index: CO≤3.8%;HC≤800ppm

Start Performance: ≤15s

Braking system (front/rear): disk/drum or disk

Brake Performance: ≤7m/30km/h</H5>

Edited by thaicbr

Yes, we are testing the Lifan LF250GY-7, we also have a few more models. Which look very promising, for the price it will likely not pass the 100,000 Bht mark. And suspension is done by a "famous" name in motorcycle suspension.

The engine is restricted to pass the emission tests, but the LF250GY-7 being a carburettor motorcycle this restrictions are easily disabled.

The 5-speed gear box has a perfect gear ratio, and with its high torque it's a pleasure to ride. We compared the 5-speed Lifan gearbox with the 6-speed Kawasaki KLX250 and we found that it is not necessary to change gear that much in traffic. This is of course because the Lifan 250cc has more torque then the Kawasaki.

P.S. I do not work for Lifan, it's only that I see a lot of all new motorcycles that enter the country.

I said before "The engine is restricted to pass the emission tests, but the LF250GY-7 being a carburettor motorcycle this restrictions are easily disabled."

If we compare the Kawasaki KLX250/D-tracker 250 to the Lifan in standard form:

Lifan LF250GY-7

Brute Horsepower 17.70

Torque 19 N.m

Kawasaki KLX/D-Tracker 250

Brute Horsepower 22

Torque 15.2 N.m

We can remove the restriction by simple using a screwdriver without adding any cost. The horsepower then jumps to nearly 32 hp. Because the Lifan is a carburettor motorcycle we can even exchange the needles or replace the carburettor completely. Do less restricted exhaust pipes..etc.. all very easy and all within a not to high budget.

It is far to say that you can also remove the restriction on the Kawasaki's this seems to cost money. And after the jump to 32 hp you need to start spending good amounts of money to get even more out of the bike...

Edited by Richard-BKK

OK, this is a bike I could get into...not like that dumb 400cc Virago rip off. :)

How can 150,000 Baht for a new 400cc V-twin motorcycle in Thailand, registered with license plate and 1-year insurance, including 2-year factory warranty be a rip off?

I said before "The engine is restricted to pass the emission tests, but the LF250GY-7 being a carburettor motorcycle this restrictions are easily disabled."

If we compare the Kawasaki KLX250/D-tracker 250 to the Lifan in standard form:

Lifan LF250GY-7

Brute Horsepower 17.70

Torque 19 N.m

Kawasaki KLX/D-Tracker 250

Brute Horsepower 22

Torque 15.2 N.m

We can remove the restriction by simple using a screwdriver without adding any cost. The horsepower then jumps to nearly 32 hp. Because the Lifan is a carburettor motorcycle we can even exchange the needles or replace the carburettor completely. Do less restricted exhaust pipes..etc.. all very easy and all within a not to high budget.

It is far to say that you can also remove the restriction on the Kawasaki's this seems to cost money. And after the jump to 32 hp you need to start spending good amounts of money to get even more out of the bike...

Do i understand this correct? The Lifan250GY-7 has initially almost 18 hp due to some restriction, and when you turn some screw you get 32 hp's? Also, is the Lifan250GY-7 currently available?

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

motard style would be ideal for me here in farm country, mainly unsealed roads, and when they are sealed it's about 90-10% road v potholes

at that price would definitely be interested

Yes, the motorcycle is capable to give 32 hp with not using much more then a screwdriver. You likely to get even more out of the bike if you start playing with needles, airfilters and the exhaust.

The Lifan Lf250GY-7 is currently not for sale in Thailand, we doing some testing on the bikes. They could be available in November/December, but I not work for Lifan and have completely no influence on them.

I am interested in the tires. Can you help me find replacement ones? Thank you.

Aha, I now understand – in one of my pictures you see a lot of tires in the shelves and presume that we sell tires. The answer is sorry we do not sell anything, we only test stuff.

Also some of the specifications – you can find in post #2, including the specs for the wheels is incorrect, on our model both front and rear wheels are 18”. Some engine specs are also incorrect, this is clearly the 2008/2009 model, while we have the latest model.

I usually knock down Chinese bikes, but since this is water cooled and looks like a real motard it has great potential.

If it can really get 32HP with some mods, then that's very interesting.

I hope this makes it to market on time and gets into people's hands.

I'd love to hear how it holds up long term.

If people get 60-100,000 KMs out of it with few problems, I'd buy one myself.

I'd be interested in knowing what type of mod (I'm assuming it's some sort of exhaust/intake restriction) would be 'fixable' to increase HP some 77% and yet not require some really fancy carb work. I'm not saying the engine can't produce 32'ish HP since as I recall Lifan uses old Honda designs and even the CB250RS from the 80's produced that. However, to claim that Lifan would release a bike that had the proper carb setup (for full power) and yet passed Thailand's draconian emission laws by underfueling it to the point it was nearly 1/2 of available power and was still easily reverted back to 'stock' is a bit hard for me to comprehend.

OK, this is a bike I could get into...not like that dumb 400cc Virago rip off. :)

How can 150,000 Baht for a new 400cc V-twin motorcycle in Thailand, registered with license plate and 1-year insurance, including 2-year factory warranty be a rip off?

no no no no no...didn't mean it that way. It is a good price. However, the bike itself is a 'rip off' (slang for copy or 'knock off') of the Yamaha Virago.

If Tiger Motorcycles doesn't start marketing the X-Road very soon, it will be beaten by Lifan in the cheap motard/trail bike sector. Now competition is good, but do you really want to let your competitors get their foot in the door first.

no no no no no...didn't mean it that way. It is a good price. However, the bike itself is a 'rip off' (slang for copy or 'knock off') of the Yamaha Virago.

As I understand it, the Yamaha XV400 was not the success story Yamaha hoped it would be. Yamaha didn't sell much XV400's and Yamaha sold the whole model to Lifan, who now starts to sell them as the LF400. Yamaha created a independent company called "Star Motorcycle" which now only sells the V-star in 250cc, 650cc, 940cc, 1100cc, and 1300cc. And of course the name "Virago" is not used by Yamaha anymore

Edited by Richard-BKK

If Tiger Motorcycles doesn't start marketing the X-Road very soon, it will be beaten by Lifan in the cheap motard/trail bike sector. Now competition is good, but do you really want to let your competitors get their foot in the door first.

Oh well, same here i am also waiting for the X-road 250 to become available...marketing is not really the problem though....having it passing the emission controls seem to be holding this up...Lifan is facing the same controls really .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I believe that the exhaust emission test is not the main problem for Tiger to start the production of the Sachs X-Road 250. Success is the biggest force holding Tiger back from introducing new models. Why? For the production of a new models Tiger needs production space and the financial resources to do that. I see not much problems in the financial sector, but nobody can be too careful this times. The main reason is production space, currently Tiger cannot or hardly keep-up the market demand for current model motorcycles.

It is said that when the production facility in Philippines goes operational, Tiger will have time to take a breather and look what new models they can introduce. We have to wait and see what happens. (waiting for manufacturers is nothing new in Thailand).

Production limitations is nothing new, Honda dropped a few popular models to make space for the production of 250cc models. Which is now, I was told, in full swing. The downside of the current production of 250's is that they all go to Japan. (But I have the idea that Honda will change that later this year, when the production schedules are fully worked out.)

The Lifan LF250GY-7 will likely not make it on the market in Thailand this year. Or it would be possible that they will introduce it at the end of this year, but that chance is small...

Edited by Richard-BKK

As I said before the specifications in post#02 are not correct. The specifications are from the 2008 maybe 2009 model and from a Chine website where motorcycles are not allowed to ride faster then the maximum speed when sold.

Edited by Richard-BKK

I believe that the exhaust emission test is not the main problem for Tiger to start the production of the Sachs X-Road 250. Success is the biggest force holding Tiger back from introducing new models. Why? For the production of a new models Tiger needs production space and the financial resources to do that. I see not much problems in the financial sector, but nobody can be too careful this times. The main reason is production space, currently Tiger cannot or hardly keep-up the market demand for current model motorcycles.

It is said that when the production facility in Philippines goes operational, Tiger will have time to take a breather and look what new models they can introduce. We have to wait and see what happens. (waiting for manufacturers is nothing new in Thailand).

Production limitations is nothing new, Honda dropped a few popular models to make space for the production of 250cc models. Which is now, I was told, in full swing. The downside of the current production of 250's is that they all go to Japan. (But I have the idea that Honda will change that later this year, when the production schedules are fully worked out.)

The Lifan LF250GY-7 will likely not make it on the market in Thailand this year. Or it would be possible that they will introduce it at the end of this year, but that chance is small...

Richard, they are currently working on the emission control passing...the next test(again) is end of this month. If it passes ,the X-road could be available as early as June (2010) ....i think Tiger has the space it needs, but the initial delay must have been reason as they were busy on the Retro and the new Retro models....

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

As I said before the specifications in post#02 are not correct. The specifications are from the 2008 maybe 2009 model and from a Chine website where motorcycles are not allowed to ride faster then the maximum speed when sold

Richard maybe you can find and post the correct spec for us as you have contact with the factory. I to am a bit dubiuos about the claim of 30+ horsepower using just a screwdriver.

Maximum speed 100 kph for a 250cc bike? Not very impressive. My CBR 150 does much better than that with 77000 kms on it.

You don't understand that the CBR is a road-going 'sports' bike and the Lifan is an dual sport? If you have problems visualising, I know plenty of trails to try and take your bike off-road and give those types of conditions a try.