Proof Of Money

I shall be applying for my yearly extension to my Non Imm 'O' visa soon. This year, for the first time, I'll be showing 400,000 baht in my Thai bank a/c. It's been in there over three months.

My question is, do I also have to produce a letter from the bank, confirming the funds, or is the bank book enough.

Please note that the HSBC does not have Bank Books. One can only present copies of 3 months Bank Statements plus a Bank Letter confirming the current balance. I believe the Bank Letter must not be more than 7 days old.

Some offices sometimes require same day letter from bank as the appointment. I find that extreme. At Jomtien, previous day, or Friday before a Monday is OK, but I would not risk a 7 day old letter. BTW, Jomtien does NOT need there to be a transaction anywhere near the same day as the letter.

Thank's for all the replies.

I have my own a/c with Siam Commercial, and will update the passbook, and get the letter, the day before going to immigration.

Yes, it's based on marriage to a Thai.

This is the first time I've shown my own money. Previous years, they have been happy to accept my wifes income in our joint a/c. Last year they made me sign a letter saying that this year, I would show my own independent funds.

I also understand that I now have to show a Kor Ror 2 marriage paper.

It just gets better and better, doesn't it.

They now supply two items when you register a marriage - the normal marriage certificates and now the copy of ledger entry in file book that contains the details. If you do not have this second document (they did not normally provide in the past) wife can obtain at any District Office as they can be downloaded. Am not sure if they can go back many years however so best to obtain early in case a trip to original registration office is required.

Please note that the HSBC does not have Bank Books. One can only present copies of 3 months Bank Statements plus a Bank Letter confirming the current balance. I believe the Bank Letter must not be more than 7 days old.

It must be dated the same day as your visit to immigration.

This is important or they will send you away. Also take 4 months of HSBC statements to be safe as they want to see a full months statement not the part month that HSBC sometimes provides.

They have always accepted a Bank letter dated within 7 days of the Application at Suan Plu and Chaeng Wattana.

Indeed that was the official rule.

Have you had recent experience of rejection if the HSBC Bank Letter is not dated the same day as your Application?

I ask because it's a long, long way from my home to the Bank and then to go to Chaeng Wattana Office.

Also you need to make a copy of your bank book relevent pages including the first page with your name. Then sign each copy.

You also may need the bank book.

General rule is to take everything you can and when they ask for it you have it.

Get that letter from the bank as close to application date as possible. The letter comes from the home branch of your account.

Good Luck

:)

Have you had recent experience of rejection if the HSBC Bank Letter is not dated the same day as your Application?

I ask because it's a long, long way from my home to the Bank and then to go to Chaeng Wattana Office.

Been the same for the last two years with HSBC accounts, and while I was there this month they were sending others away as their letters were all dated yesterday.

For first time 1 year retirement visa, can one show money in a U.S. bank that has been there for several years at the same approximate balance plus social security income to satisfy proof of funds?

The OA visa obtained in your home country can have funds in home country - but any extension of stay for retirement obtained from Immigration inside Thailand requires the funds to be in Thailand.

Been the same for the last two years with HSBC accounts, and while I was there this month they were sending others away as their letters were all dated yesterday.

Well they approved mine last year with an HSBC letter that was about 5 days old! All very stramge

In the past both fixed deposit and foreign currency accounts have been acceptable for some offices but it has been up to the office/officer involved. As it now seems to be a general requirement that even a marriage bank account must be only in the name of the foreigner I would not have much faith in the past being acceptable today.

but any extension of stay for retirement obtained from Immigration inside Thailand requires the funds to be in Thailand.

What, a US citizen can't use a notarized note from the consulate anymore?????

The full quote from lopburi3, added below, which you have snipped/misinterpreted, related to using bank funds option and is correct. If using income option to support extension of stay application you would obtain income letter from embassy (if income earnt outside Thailand).

The OA visa obtained in your home country can have funds in home country - but any extension of stay for retirement obtained from Immigration inside Thailand requires the funds to be in Thailand.

I didn't "misinterpret" anything. I just can't, for the life of me, "interpret" any of it!!!!!!!

O-OA-B-X-Y-Z-KL-J-Q-F-R What on earth is all this stuff for??

I haven't the faintest idea what I am doing or why. I just try to write down which documents I need and when and then take them in to Immigration.

Luckily I deal with a fairly nice guy in Immigration. Last time he proudly showed me that my extension was good for one year and smiled. My 90 day address confirmation is usually painless.

If these situations ever change then I will probably change. I'm in the process of checking out alternatives to living in Thailand. Always a good idea to have the scouting done beforehand. You never know what's around the next corner.

For first time 1 year retirement visa, can one show money in a U.S. bank that has been there for several years at the same approximate balance plus social security income to satisfy proof of funds?

Can you tell me all the specifics, including how they calcuate the income : bank balance ratios to qualify for a retirement visa when applied for a) in the USA, :) in Thailand?

You provide proof to Embassy/Consulate in your home country as they outline and you do the same to your Embassy in Thailand or have a cash bank account in Thailand with letter from bank manager/copy of account details (passbook or statements).

There is no "one size fits all". You have to ask to office/officer involved. Basic is the amount of 800k in bank or 65k monthly income or combination to meet 800k for year (in baht). So exchange rates will be involved if baht is not the base currency.

• 3 weeks later...

In the first year of the application, the money must be deposited in the Thai bank account for at least 2 months. In the following years, it must be deposited for at least 3 months.

In the first year, apart from the copy of the bank passbook, the applicant is also required to supply a supporting letter to confirm the amount (balance) in the bank account as well as the location where the funds was transferred from.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png