Everytime I Start Feeling Comfortable Driving...

Chunky1

Was driving through a garage, perpendicular to the rows of cars when some idiot speeding down sticks half his car out in front of me and luckily I instinctively hit the brakes, with less than half a meter between us. he naturally just sped away like nothing happened. this puts me back on edge driving, which is perhaps a good thing. I seem to average one of these near misses every couple of months right when I am starting to think "Thais ain't that bad at driving after all". now once again I am looking for death on 4 wheels just around every corner.

Good, near misses keep you alert. It's when you truly get comfortable when you're at the highest risk of hitting the squid guy's rig coming the wrong way, with no lights other than some faintly glowing charcoals. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is exactly the kind of incident for which Breaks where invented.

Also why they are compulsory on all motor vehicles! :D

Beware of the spelling Nazis..... :)

:D Yes, if we took more breaks we would need less brakes. :D

Edited by khundon

This is exactly the kind of incident for which Breaks where invented.

Also why they are compulsory on all motor vehicles! :D

Beware of the spelling Nazis..... :)

For every poster who spells the word " brake " incorrectly 2 will be taken outside and shot. :D

If you are in a bad mood or in a rush then don't get behind the wheel in Thailand. To drive here you have got to be in the right frame of mind.

Not wanting to start a argument, but your first sentence could, if followed, result in a vehicle/road use decrease by 60% plus. It would seem your 'right frame of mind' would apply, no problem.

If you are in a bad mood or in a rush then don't get behind the wheel in Thailand. To drive here you have got to be in the right frame of mind.

Not wanting to start a argument, but your first sentence could, if followed, result in a vehicle/road use decrease by 60% plus. It would seem your 'right frame of mind' would apply, no problem.

true, but you get my point though don't you

I seem to average one of these near misses every couple of months

Lucky you.

It's a daily occurrence where I drive.

Yeah, same here: People pulling out in front of you, near side-swipes, someone backing up on a busy street, a weaving vehicle with the driver immersed in a cell phone call, etc.

As a result, I am constantly on edge--which is a good thing!

I wonder why more people do not have personal drivers? I find having a driver in the city so much more relaxing but enjoy driving myself in the country. I do not know the cost of a driver and I am speculating you can hire a really good one for under 15,000 baht.

I wonder why more people do not have personal drivers? I find having a driver in the city so much more relaxing but enjoy driving myself in the country. I do not know the cost of a driver and I am speculating you can hire a really good one for under 15,000 baht.

That would be the same as taking a taxi. Why own a car when you don't drive it yourself.

that wont improve safety.

I seem to average one of these near misses every couple of months

Lucky you.

It's a daily occurrence where I drive.

Yeah, same here: People pulling out in front of you, near side-swipes, someone backing up on a busy street, a weaving vehicle with the driver immersed in a cell phone call, etc.

As a result, I am constantly on edge--which is a good thing!

Yes, and that is what keeps me alive while riding in Thailand. I EXPECT to have someone intentionally trying to kill me. I NEVER take ANYTHING for granted. Even then I have almost daily near misses from people jumping green lights, running red lights, turning left when the signal shows turning right, speeding in narrow sois, etc. They are all daily experiences.

In my experience, it erodes safety significantly. :)

Our uni hires "professional drivers" to take students/faculty to destinations in 15-person vans. Twice I've demanded that they stop, let me off, and I took a public bus the rest of the journey. Passing cars on blind corners in the rain at 120kph just doesn't float my boat. I know, the bus is dangerous too, but still a step up in safety, IMO.

In my experience, it erodes safety significantly. :)

Our uni hires "professional drivers" to take students/faculty to destinations in 15-person vans. Twice I've demanded that they stop, let me off, and I took a public bus the rest of the journey. Passing cars on blind corners in the rain at 120kph just doesn't float my boat. I know, the bus is dangerous too, but still a step up in safety, IMO.

I agree with you there. Many of those van drivers are just plain SCARY! While riding my motorbike I've been run off the road more than a few times, and most often it's been a van driver who has forced me off the road while he's passing on a corner... and he never stops! Just because some Thai is driving does not make it safer. It only helps with minor fender benders... IF IT IS HIS VEHICLE he's driving!

People pulling out in front of you, near side-swipes, someone backing up on a busy street, a weaving vehicle with the driver immersed in a cell phone call, etc.

Same for me; and where I mainly drive is London!

Before I had to retire from the profession for medical reasons I was a driving instructor. One thing I always tried to impress upon my pupils was that you must always be alert to everything going on around you. You cannot rely on other road users doing the right thing.

People pulling out in front of you, near side-swipes, someone backing up on a busy street, a weaving vehicle with the driver immersed in a cell phone call, etc.

Same for me; and where I mainly drive is London!

Before I had to retire from the profession for medical reasons I was a driving instructor. One thing I always tried to impress upon my pupils was that you must always be alert to everything going on around you. You cannot rely on other road users doing the right thing.

Here is the answer. ALWAYS, ALWAYS be alert! You cannot have a lapse for a moment and try to use the techniques you were trained with in you're home country. You must be alert here at all times and expect the unexpected. Thai drivers whether it's on a bicycle, motorbike, auto, truck or any other conveyance will do what ever they want when they want. There is no real training/education here for walker's/riders or driver's. They learned all their habits (good & bad) from who ever was showing them and in many cases they just learned by sitting/standing on the family motorbike or car when they were babies. So it's all ingrained from birth. Many Thais grow up in the country and it was okay to do whatever you wanted to do as it affected no one and they bring that to the village and city and never change.

We as a brainwashed farang from wherever have had the benefit of some type of educational system and then were subjected to rules and enforcement of those rules and penalties if you don't follow the rules.

These two types of driver's don't mesh together. Thai driver's are not going to change until they are subjected to the same kinds of training and education and enforcement we have endured all our lives in our home countries. This education will take generations to change.

Bottom line is if you are going to drive here ,,,,,STAY ALERT ! Keep your eyes moving in all directions and never forget a driver/walker car/bike/moto/or whatever can appear from any direction at any time.

Longball

Here is the answer. ALWAYS, ALWAYS be alert! You cannot have a lapse for a moment and try to use the techniques you were trained with in you're home country. You must be alert here at all times and expect the unexpected. Thai drivers whether it's on a bicycle, motorbike, auto, truck or any other conveyance will do what ever they want when they want. There is no real training/education here for walker's/riders or driver's. They learned all their habits (good & bad) from who ever was showing them and in many cases they just learned by sitting/standing on the family motorbike or car when they were babies. So it's all ingrained from birth. Many Thais grow up in the country and it was okay to do whatever you wanted to do as it affected no one and they bring that to the village and city and never change.

We as a brainwashed farang from wherever have had the benefit of some type of educational system and then were subjected to rules and enforcement of those rules and penalties if you don't follow the rules.

These two types of driver's don't mesh together. Thai driver's are not going to change until they are subjected to the same kinds of training and education and enforcement we have endured all our lives in our home countries. This education will take generations to change.

Bottom line is if you are going to drive here ,,,,,STAY ALERT ! Keep your eyes moving in all directions and never forget a driver/walker car/bike/moto/or whatever can appear from any direction at any time.

Excellent post, I've saved it! :)

It should be pinned in both the bike and car section

The " It takes generations " crowd may be right for Thailand's future but history does not bear this out. My grandfather was driving age when automobiles became available to the public, he started driving and when license requirements came out he took the driving test (written, and driving eventually). My father was required to take a written test and drive the vehicle under examiner prior to issue of a license, and this was up graded to drive heavy trucks, buses etc. When my turn came, about 50 years after grandpa's (learn by doing), we were offered driving education in high school or summer school (insurance reduced if taken), but were stilled required to take the state driving tests.

The testing seems to have reduced the learning time down to one generation and even helped the original drivers\, after the fact.

B4 I go Aneewhere Eye orlways check the bykes breaks!

come on, you asked for it!

But true, you will never ever bee 100% driving here unless you leave your brain in the house.

Edited by Rimmer
Maybe the poster would like to rewrite the couple of lines nicely that I took out without the slurs. Edit by RIMMER