US, UK Closes Embassies In Thailand, 'Very Concerned' About Violence

george

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does any thread mentioning the US, UK or Europe always descend into a pissing match about who won what wars?

I agree 100%. It took the Americans, French, British, Russians, Australians & many other small countries to defeat Germany in both big wars - WWI & WWII. None could have done it alone. We are individuals and we shouldn't be faulted because of where we were born. There are such harsh remarks on TV b/c, like any forum, you get so many of the meanest

hating people on earth. It is the nature of an open forum for hate speech.

America? in the movies, yes. For example, they were still a neutral County when the British captured an Enigma machine off a UBoat, but 95% of Americans think the movie U571 is real.

They joined the WW1 'effort' on about the last day, and WW2 so ashamedly 'late' that they made a whack of movies to paint over their dereliction of duty.

Poland was seized, Scandanavian countries were occupied, Britain was getting 'blizted' and an election in the USA was won on the platform of staying 'neutral'.

Just historically and accurately the American Empire has the worst history of not going to wars they should have and going to wars they should not have. Maybe when they lost their first war, against Canada, they set the tone forever.

Canadians and Jewish Scientists did a lot more than the US in winning WW2!

It's all in Wikipedia. grin

I think this is the real problem for all TV contributors ,no one knows if this will escalate & how long will it continue .

In fairness, if that's a problem at all then it's a problem with the universe in general, and the remarkable difficulty that 'accurately predicting the future' still poses. Tough nut to crack, this going forwards in time business.

Why does any thread mentioning the US, UK or Europe always descend into a pissing match about who won what wars?

I agree 100%. It took the Americans, French, British, Russians, Australians & many other small countries to defeat Germany in both big wars - WWI & WWII. None could have done it alone. We are individuals and we shouldn't be faulted because of where we were born. There are such harsh remarks on TV b/c, like any forum, you get so many of the meanest

America? in the movies, yes. For example, they were still a neutral County when the British captured an Enigma machine off a UBoat, but 95% of Americans think the movie U571 is real.

They joined the WW1 'effort' on about the last day, and WW2 so ashamedly 'late' that they made a whack of movies to paint over their dereliction of duty.

Poland was seized, Scandanavian countries were occupied, Britain was getting 'blizted' and an election in the USA was won on the platform of staying 'neutral'.

Just historically and accurately the American Empire has the worst history of not going to wars they should have and going to wars they should not have. Maybe when they lost their first war, against Canada, they set the tone forever.

What country does have an honorable war record?

I said this before, and I can say it again. This is not the end of story.

Thailand needs a real change. In internal policies. The upper classes naturally want to retain control, but can not. The lower classes can not afford to continue putting up with social injustice. The gap between the tiny minority and vast majority is too big, too obvious and can not be masked by traditional methods used in the past.

Calls for Democracy are futile. This country is not ready for it.

Calls for hard line are futile. A lot of blood will be spilt. But this will not bring the change.

Calls for yet another military coup are futile. Thais had too many, with no change in sight.

I am neither 'red', nor 'yellow'.

I do not have the solution. It is up to Thais.

But I hope not to see another Revolution in any country. They are too costly. And everybody loses. Big way!

Backsoon - you speak sense - realistic I am afraid. Whenever I talked to Thai friends leading up to, and at the start of the protests, and since, who never talked about politics and were not particularly interested in politics; their faces turn serious and they say they like what Taksin did because he cared about the poor people (the lower classes). Did they give a dam_n about how much money he made on the side? No. Everybody else in power was making loads on the side through their powerful positions so what was new? And wy.at's the difference in an'ordinary' Thai's eyes Thai's eyes someone in power making 2m and 2bn? It's monopoly cloug cuckoo land money

I agree with your hope not to see a Revolution - it will ruin Thailand for decades and in so many ways this country leaps ahead in S.E. Asia. Yes, coup d'etats are futile and just another elite backed govt. gets ushered in.

Its not an overreaction considering the location. Now the obvious question, will Thai immigration give US and UK people any slack in extension applications for those who need embassy documents but can't get them due to closures?

no chance!

you will probably get a reply somewhere along the lines of. well it was up to your embassies to take the desicion to close, nothing to do with us and whats going on in the country at the moment.

oh and btw, thats 500 baht x1, x2, x3............ for overstaying on your visa!

Not sure you are right IF the closings last a long time. There is precedence for immigration to make allowances for political problems.

Evidence? I fear that tigerfish may be right - and, indeed, I do not rule out the likelihood of overstaying Brits & Yanks being banged up in the Bangkok Hilton in solitary confinment for their heinous visa violation crimes while murderous red thugs are let off scot free. TIT after all.

Edited by OJAS

What country does have an honorable war record?

No country of course, but according to the Militairy Tribunal in Nuremburg (1945/46) the four victorious powers US, UK, Russia, and France had a completely honorable war record, and the German defense laywers had no options other than to accept that, the eight judges were all very embarassed about this, but they were forced by the polititians to follow that concept chiefly in order not to upset oncle Joe (Stalin) who stood with 40,000 T.34's all over Europe and in the centre of Germany.

Its not an overreaction considering the location. Now the obvious question, will Thai immigration give US and UK people any slack in extension applications for those who need embassy documents but can't get them due to closures?

no chance!

you will probably get a reply somewhere along the lines of. well it was up to your embassies to take the desicion to close, nothing to do with us and whats going on in the country at the moment.

Not sure you are right IF the closings last a long time. There is precedence for immigration to make allowances for political problems.

Evidence? I fear that tigerfish may be right - and, indeed, I do not rule out the likelihood of overstaying Brits & Yanks being banged up in the Bangkok Hilton in solitary confinment for their heinous visa violation crimes while murderous red thugs are let off scot free. TIT after all.

Waiving overstay fees after the airport closure. That was for people leaving at BKK. That is a kind of precedent. If certain embassies are closed for a very long time making it impossible for expats to get documents, I wouldn't assume allowances would be made, but I wouldn't assume they won't be made either.

no chance!

I think Thailand has other problems now and you now what, if you don't like it you can always GO HOME.

I suppose Thailand can kiss it`s tourist industry, goodbye.

This is going to affect ex-pat businesses such as resturants and bars, plus Thai owned establishments that mainly deal in the Farang market, massage parlours and so on. Maybe good for some of us as these places start becoming bargain basements.

And with the crap bank exchange rates, I can forecast that many ex-pat businesses will go down.

It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

Ah, democracy US-style...

Do you mean like George W, got into power the first time having lost both the electoral and the popular vote?

Or are you referring to the fact that they threw out the British?

Or the conflict between North and South?

Or to the fact that they wiped out as many of the Indian tribes?

Or to the use of slaves?

Wouldn't think Thailand needs that kind of solution. The USA has many great qualities, and I have close family who are American, but your suggestion is not a good one.

You obv iously don't have a clue what your talking about!

Thailand IS the home of many expats. Xenophobia is UGLY.

Yes, when Farangs USA think they can tell to Thai people GO HOME than is that xenophobe and ugly. But it t would be better for all if these farangs who are full of hate GO HOME. Nobody likes you here.

It would be wise for both sides to ask for and use (perhaps privately so Thailand can save face as an independent nation) the assistance of USA mediation -- after all, a country like the USA which has 250+ years of experience in democracy may have some good experience and ideas; whereas Thailand has less than 80 years, and all of it fraught with coups, tension, and conflict. Thailand should realize it is in the infancy of democracy and needs to understand how to deal with it.

Do you mean like George W, got into power the first time having lost both the electoral and the popular vote?

Or to the use of slaves?

Wouldn't think Thailand needs that kind of solution. The USA has many great qualities, and I have close family who are American, but your suggestion is not a good one.

This post struck me a bit.

Back in my country, militant groups keep on lobbying against U.S. presence or intervention which is kinda vague to me. Maybe, I am not that attuned with what they know but all those mockeries and deep-rooted analyses make me wonder now.

Some even have mentioned that what is happening is actually a picture of how Thailand’s politics are beginning to be manipulated by the powers that be. They consider these current events as part of a great scheme until Thailand is so hooked up and can no longer move freely without the dictates of the unseen power. It is like a huge game plan, as they say, that will make Thailand more dependent in handling its affairs.

Jeez, maybe I am just reading too much lately.

Edited by asiantraze

To close the UK embassy sends the wrong signals. Dont see Red Shirt bashing down the walls so why panic? Did they close embassies down in the UK when they had the poll tax riots? Dont think so. It is just an over-reaction. Keep it open, operate as normal and if lives get threatened, (Westerners) then maybe react. Bangkok is huge and the riots / trouble is limited to a small section of the city. My wife and I walked through the Red Shirt camp. Spoke to loads of peaceful thai red shirts. I suggest round up the trouble makers, hold elections and settle down. Trouble is absolute power corrupts absolutely. Old saying but fits the politicians world wide. Regards John

Have you any idea how close to the embassy this action is ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8681833.stm

And they are live rounds the army guys are firing off with abandon through the railings, are you completely mental to suggest the embassy should put its staff and citizens at risk to that level of unrest before closing ? :)

Oh and the saying is... Power corrupts but Absolute power corrupts absolutely, get it right if your going to bother.

Or to the use of slaves?

Hmmm, short on insight huh? Experience in life as in business etc. comes from good and bad experience. A marriage is never perfect but you learn from mistakes and can guide others on how not to go down that road. Yes, his opinion is right on and you're rebuttle is weak and biased.

no chance!

I think Thailand has other problems now and you now what, if you don't like it you can always GO HOME.

Oh dear, or dear, why give such a reply, are you not aware that this is Simple Simon stuff.

The most dangerous countries

The Maple Croft terrorism index includes 196 countries. Of these, nine counts of extreme risk countries in the 2010 index. The countries are:

1st Iraq

2nd Afghanistan

3rd Pakistan

4th Somalia

5th Lebanon

6th India

7th Algeria

8th Colombia

9th Thailand

The index is measured, inter alia, frequency, intensity and number of victims of attacks during the six month periods. The country's history and the possible threat is also considered.

Source: maplecroft

allexx, any list of "dangerous countries" that does not include mexico in the top 5 is full of nonsense. More people are killed in an average afternoon in mexico by drug cartels, kidnappers, people smugglers, and corrupt police than in a year in Thailand.

All those poor misled people that have died and all the hundreds injured should all be on Taksins conscience, he instigated this mess and must be held responsible for it all and eventually brought to justice and as for the farangs that have been deported for taking part SOMNOMNA, They shouldn't stick noses into what is after all,NON OF YOUR BUSINESS :):D :D

Yes, when Farangs USA think they can tell to Thai people GO HOME than is that xenophobe and ugly. But it t would be better for all if these farangs who are full of hate GO HOME. Nobody likes you here.

I'm a farang and I totally agree with you, if any farang has hate in his heart, he/she don't belong here,they are not wanted and only get the rest of us tarred with the same brush.

Fine them before deportation

Yeah and I'm English by the way. :)

You mean the ones who do not support your Thaksin-loving position one presumes.

On the other hand , the hate-filled red supporters are OK to stay.

I think that just about summarises your nonsense.

I'm a farang and I totally agree with you, if any farang has hate in his heart, he/she don't belong here,they are not wanted and only get the rest of us tarred with the same brush.

Fine them before deportation

Yeah and I'm English by the way. :)

If a farang has hate in his heart then by this logic he doesn't belong anywhere,

so just kill them off till only nice people remain....

aacchmmm, see where this argument leads.