Does It Really Matter

lovelomsak

I would like to know if foreigners in Thailand think that what is going on at present will actually effect them. From what I can see life on the most part just keeps going with litttle change. Perhaps the baht will weaken beyond that how can Thailands situation effect foreigners really. Foreigners are not citizens merely quests.Our host is always graceous. When this is all over what difference will it make in foreigners lifes here. In my opinion not one bit of difference. We should all just step back let it take its course and wait for it to return to normality.

People may have opinions but realize that is all it is in an opinion. My opinion is maybe the baht will drop a bit making exchange rates better other than that everything alse will be normal. I cannot see it effecting us in otherways.

I guess you don't live in Bangkok, then. I don't either, and the current unrest hasn't affected me at all. But as yet another day passes with the ante being upped all the time, I don't assume that everything's going to be ok and I'll just be able to carry on the same. At the back of my mind now is the thought that my exit plan is nearer to being activated, and an expat neighbour that I spoke to this morning felt the same way

many foreign businesses are tourism related (guest houses, hotels, travel agencies, bars etc) so they are affected not only in bangkok, but in the whole thailand, including phuket and chiang mai.

today there were protests in 28 provinces, even those not with the state of emergency

I live in Sathorn Road, near to soi Suan Plu. Last night Reds burned tyres in front of the Australian Embassy, and troops fired intermitently. The road is closed to traffic, and this morning my soi is filled with soldiers taking a rest from the sun on Sathorn Road. I decided today I would leave Bangkok, but it is very difficult to get any transport. This scenario has been played out in Langsuan, Ratchadamri etc etc for over a month. So it depends where you live, but the problems today are very real. We are hoping that they will be resolved, but look how long they have been in Ratchadamri. For me there is no reason to stay just now, (I'm retired), and indeed there is every reason to evacuate. Normal daily life in this and other areas has become untenable, and it is really quite frightening.

We live in bangkok, down sukhumvit close to emporium not far from the red shirt ground zero . Hasnt effected us at all really- today went to emporium, had a nice lunch, took a stroll outside and had a great foot massage massage. Life goes on.

does this mean it's not a good time to buy a 10 million baht condo on sathorn ?

who knew ?

Actually, there is no better time than now, are you kidding? Buy when the blood is in the streets. All rich people know that.

I'm sure real estate agents in Greece and Bangkok preparing to rushed off their feet, such will be the demand over the next few months :)

who knew ?

Actually, there is no better time than now, are you kidding? Buy when the blood is in the streets. All rich people know that.

I am fairly sure that the quote "when there is blood on the streets " refers to when the selling market becomes a butchers block and salemen will stab each other in the back just to make a deal all ethics are thrown out the window. But that could well be next.

who knew ?

Ofcourse you could get shot on the way to a viewing :)

This conflict is deeply affecting Thai people.

And some foreigners living in Thailand, on an emotional level, if this forum is any indication.

But whatever the outcome, it won't change the life of the foreigners in Thailand.

don't know where to begin with this one

it is not affecting some Thai people at all

Change the life of foreigners: yes it will - just for starters those involved in tourism/travel, hospitality, internationally-owned industry and finance. What overseas investor will consider this country a good option in the near future? This will impact on many of us here.

who knew ?

Ofcourse you could get shot on the way to a viewing :)

If you are really rich, you have "people" to actually take the risks, ha ha. Its usually used to refer to markets in general. For example, people who bought into the US stock market at the BOTTOM of the financial crisis crash have done very well. Normal "safe" investors were SELLING then, the smart people were buying.

Edited by Jingthing

No, it means when people get super desperate to sell because things have turned to sheit. Not yet, but possibly headed that way.

Jingthing that is exactly what i said a "butchers block" means very desperate times. So when the selling market is a butchers block all ethics go out the window . So we agree just in how you read it I quess.

I agree that it is going to affect the locals and business expats but not the retired expats. It seems to be turning into a class war when that happens anyone seen as having money will be a target everntually. An opportunity by many to take what they feel was stolen or denied to the less fortunate others. It is a good sign that the stuff in the other provinces is really more of demonstration. As long as the provinces do not merge on BKK in mass to take on the soldiers this whole matter may die off. In the provinces, as long as the yellow shirts do not come out in opposition to the demonstrators then the reds do not have a visible enemy to attack. It is only the military. Let the military stay out of the provinces eliminating the target of aggression.