New Estate Near Huay Tung Tao Reservoir?

FlatOut

Hi I am new to CM and went to the lake (huay tung tao) today , as I was driving in before the hut you get the tickets to enter, I noticed a large housing estate does anyone know the english name for the estate as I am interested in seeing if anyone is renting any of these properties.

There was a name at the entrance but it was in Thai which unfortuantly I cannot understand :)

thanks for any help

Edited by FlatOut

I have heard, rightly or wrongly it is available to virtually anyone, including Farangs. You have to sign a long lease and never own the land (of course). Made no sense to me so I dismissed the idea. All I do know for sure from observation it is 70% empty and they are still building. Don't know which is the dumbest idea--unable to own land or building when everything around is vacant. Both are truly dumb. We can't do anything about either. So Forrest, "Stupid is as stupid does".

I went in there once and the guard said that farang can live there. I asked if they were for rent. He said no. The homes were for sale only. However; I've heard the same thing from many places and have found rentals inside.

If I remember correctly, I think that the sign says that it is one of the Chok Waree complexes.

I have heard, rightly or wrongly it is available to virtually anyone, including Farangs. You have to sign a long lease and never own the land (of course). Made no sense to me so I dismissed the idea. All I do know for sure from observation it is 70% empty and they are still building. Don't know which is the dumbest idea--unable to own land or building when everything around is vacant. Both are truly dumb. We can't do anything about either. So Forrest, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Long term leases instead of private ownership is common around public owned lands in the west as well. It's the way some Governments control development around public waterways, parkland etc. For Farang here in Thailand its a moot point as you can't own land anyway. Unless of course you have Thai family to put it in their name........

cr

nice location next to huay tung tao. but the houses are too close together in my opinion, just as they are in many of the new developments. they're a few inches away from being townhouses!

That's what I thought too. Sort of reminded me of the Pete Seeger song "Little Boxes".

Whoever approved the building of this Moo Ban is not stupid.

The government official would have made a serious back hander from the construction company that was awarded the contract.

I doubt that there are many government projects built because they are needed. It's all about spending your allocated budget from Bangkok and taking a nice 20 to 30% of the proceeds..... kerching $$$$....

Thanks for the replies, just to confirm I wont be buying simply want to rent - had just been to the lake the other day and really liked the location of these houses, we have dogs and the lake is perfect for them - however on reflection the houses do seem a little too close to one another.

I believe all land mountain side of the little irrigation canal is government land. The houses near the 700-year stadium were built for the 1996 ASEAN Games and after the games finished, they were let at cheap rents to government officials. However, being Thailand I'm sure it's not too difficult for a farang to 'rent' a government house. I'm sure the houses near Huay Tung Tao are also another development for government officials but like the irrigation road extension, the house building, which started around 18 months ago, will take many years to complete so that as much tea money as possible can be squeezed from it.