Bangkok: Central World Shopping Mall Destroyed By Fire

webfact

Don't worry about it. It was burnt for the insurance money. It was in need of a major renovation anyway. It will all get fixed up "pretty as pink" in 6 months. You Yellow loving Hi So Liberals are all so bloody melodramatic when your shopping venue's are attacked. My advice, calm down...all will be fine.

Latest news on Thai PBS says the building may collapse, and if not, will have to be demolished due to structural weakness. I suggest you take your ignorance somewhere else.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what will happen is this. If Abhisit survives, he will call elections this year. I would bet on it.

a little surprised to see Ab Ruk still has an interest in LOS, haven't seen you posting on BTF in a very long time

Why would he call elections ?

are there any other candidates even worthwhile of thinking about ?

I hope that the owners of this Mall sue the finacial backers of the Red Shirts for every penny they have!

would be great if the red rioters build it back with backbreaking labor through blood, sweat and tears (unpaid) as community service.

Who do you think built it in the first place?!? For a couple baht a day.

Don't worry about it. It was burnt for the insurance money. It was in need of a major renovation anyway. It will all get fixed up "pretty as pink" in 6 months. You Yellow loving Hi So Liberals are all so bloody melodramatic when your shopping venue's are attacked. My advice, calm down...all will be fine.

I see you have never insured a building

it not covered by cicil war, civil disobedience or terroism

"There is a theory saying a military crackdown can spread resentment and these resentful people will become guerrillas," Thaksin told the Reuters news agency by telephone today.

A threatened insurgent campaign, sanap sanoon doy...Khun Thaksin.

I'm pretty sure the government must have expected that fringe groups, consisting of the Ronin and black shirts and the accumulation of other criminals would appear and start the looting and burning. That's why the curfew, for the army to complete there job. I hope the order is shoot to kill and that they will use somewhat more efficient weapons.

Also, up country the army must stop any further action by those terrorists. The body count does not have to concern the government anymore now since the reds have shown their real face to the world and news reflect this too.

Good luck to the soldiers tonight and good hunting those rats

Covards. Proves they are terrorist.

Used to symphatize with the red movements but all that is now gone.

I sincerely hope that all foreigners and thais take all this in consideration and do NOT vote for the reds in next election. That would be a clear signal.

50+ people were killed by the Thai govt and you're worried about a shopping complex!!! something wrong here!

Terrorism has been practiced by a broad array of political organizations for furthering their objectives.

Thaksin warning

Thaksin Shinawatra, the ousted Thai prime minister whom many of the red shirts support, said he feared a military crackdown could lead to guerrilla warfare across the country.

"There is a theory saying a military crackdown can spread resentment and these resentful people will become guerrillas," Thaksin told the Reuters news agency by telephone today.

mistake in translation

He said if he loses the protest

he wants guerrilla warfare across the country

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

How can anyone trust him?

I would get violent too

Abhisit has to resign if he wants peace back in Thailand!

What a barbaric mind that you have, shame on you!

I think the reds are basically peacefull, but Abhisit always changes his mind saying I will desolve parliament and organise elections, the putting all this on hold!

How can anyone trust him?

I would get violent too

Abhisit has to resign if he wants peace back in Thailand!

Are you some sort of idiot ? It was the reds who kept changing their mind, it was the reds who started the violence, it was the reds who perpetuated violence, it was the reds who turned down an extremely generous offer to hold very early elections, it was (and is) the reds who are just a bunch of paid thugs. You fool, you brainless imbecile !

Burmese built it...Low-paying Thias stick fields, gardens and housekeeping...

It is stupid to use the "injustice" angle here vs the violation and disregard of law and order..

As for the reason you are here, you probably directly and personally benefited greatly to the low cost structure in place...

CB

I'm pretty sure the government must have expected that fringe groups, consisting of the Ronin and black shirts and the accumulation of other criminals would appear and start the looting and burning. That's why the curfew, for the army to complete there job. I hope the order is shoot to kill and that they will use somewhat more efficient weapons.

Also, up country the army must stop any further action by those terrorists. The body count does not have to concern the government anymore now since the reds have shown their real face to the world and news reflect this too.

Good luck to the soldiers tonight and good hunting those rats

Hey, that's my job! :)

I am sure that those behind this preplanned city-wide arson

are not concerned about the short-arm of the law.

They perhaps should be concerned about crossing Thai-Chinese business interests.

A list from Wednesday's SITREP

Details of Fires in Bangkok as Red-shirt Renegades Lashed out

A number of fires and chaotic incidents broke out in Bangkok after the red-shirt core leaders have called off the red-shirt protest earlier today. The firefighting department has been able to put the fire under control at some areas but others remain unreachable and unsafe for firemen to entire. These areas include;

1. Siam Square and Paragon: firefighters are unable to enter the area, red-shirt protesters are armed and are shooting at will

2. Centara Grand: fire has been put out

3. Stock Exchange of Thailand office: firemen unable to enter the area

4. Mahachon Plaza (entrance of Wireless Rd-Ploenchit Rd): firemen also unable to approach the area

5. Krung Thai and Bangkok Bank (Asoke Branch)

6. Narcotics Control Board

7. Bangkok Bank (Din Daeng): fire under control

8. Maleenont Building: firemen unable to enter the area

9. Bangkok Bank and Lotus Rama 4: firemen unable to get in

10. EGAT Klongtoey: fire under control

11. Central World: currently being put out by firefighters

12. Bangkok Bank (Victory Monument)

Why Bangkok Bank appearing on the list more than say, Siam Commercial Bank?

Edited by Brian67

going to say good bye to my friends who intend to visit Thailand :D

going to say good bye to Central World :D:D:)

r1493983552.jpg

Yepp, sad indeed.

This was the first mall I visited when I came to Thailand the first time. At that time it was named "Zen Central".

I'm not a red supporter, so that is why I am saying this. This incident is nothing compared to what is around the corner. Think of Thailand like a ship. This is a shot across the bow.

The information I had, 'specultive' at the time, in 2007, that Thailand was heading for a break up into 3 Nations is looming.

I was heckled when I said the red movement was larger than expected, I was laughed at when I said Thailand was on the brink of Civil War, you can flame about Thailand breaking up, but there are NO resolutions to the cause of the problems.

The Joseph Solution incorporates remedies that fulfill the wishes of 95% of Thais and strip the control 5% who are causing the chaos, the red AND yellow leaders AND the corrupt politicians AND the corrupt generals.

If nobody wants to listen to implement The Joseph Plan, the only other option is to go North Korea and Burma. Shut down the internet. Close the iron doors to the World. An open door to the World does NOT work for the WESTERN BORROWED type of political system Thailand has. They need to model themselves after Burma and put the people in political cages.

OR, they can Implement The Joseph Solution and become a G30 Nation!

The Government is now after the money trail

Cut off the money

and most red shirts will loose interest

back to ripping off farang

For all you armchair critics:

Please tell us in which country in this world that kind of behavior would be tolerated by a few thousand people.

I can assure you that no western country would allow supposedly peaceful demonstrators to hold a country or city or town or building hostage because they were not happy with the outcome of some event that took place.

In a democratic country you do your protesting with your vote not this kind of behavior.

They were given a new election but that was not good enough.

I hope that this country issues international arrest warrant for Mr Thaksin and that RED shirt leaders get a nice long vacation in the Bangkok Hilton because if this happened in any other country in this world that is what would happen to them and I also hope that they get sued for loss of income and property damage.

Nobody has the right to destroy private or public property and interfere in lawful pursuit of legitimate private enterprise.

Thanks for your time

My 5 cents worth

I don't understand those here coming into this thread and complain about their experience of getting 'ripped' off. Obvious common sense was not used for some. I feel safer in Bangkok at night than walking around in Sydney at night as well to be honest. Even myself, being Half Thai, I come off as from the West once my mouth opens with an Australian accent.

Why Bangkok Bank appearing on the list more than say, Siam Commercial Bank?

Bangkok Bank is yellow, silly!

SCB is kind of ambiguous. It's shareholding structure leans more towards the yellow, but some executives have allegedly been funneling money to the reds.

Thank almighty God that Emporium, Central Chidlom, and Paragon have survived.

Will also say a prayer tonight in thanks for the original Villa Market surviving this rebellion.

:D

Why didn't you pray for Central World? Then it wouldn't have burned down. :)

For all you armchair critics:

Please tell us in which country in this world that kind of behavior would be tolerated by a few thousand people.

I can assure you that no western country would allow supposedly peaceful demonstrators to hold a country or city or town or building hostage because they were not happy with the outcome of some event that took place.

In a democratic country you do your protesting with your vote not this kind of behavior.

They were given a new election but that was not good enough.

I hope that this country issues international arrest warrant for Mr Thaksin and that RED shirt leaders get a nice long vacation in the Bangkok Hilton because if this happened in any other country in this world that is what would happen to them and I also hope that they get sued for loss of income and property damage.

Nobody has the right to destroy private or public property and interfere in lawful pursuit of legitimate private enterprise.

Thanks for your time

My 5 cents worth

Greece very recently? maybe some people forgot?

Are you guys SERIOUSLY still staying faithful to the line that all this happens merely because people got paid a couple baht? Surely it's time to open your eyes to the wider issues in the country?

(Don't let me stop you though if you're happy in your bubble, enjoy it while it lasts. )

Yesterday I wasn't sure but now I know that the reds (and Thaksin) are finished. My daughter came back from school and she told me that the teenagers have enough of the red shits. These children are the future and I think we can have hope.

r1493983552.jpg

Yepp, sad indeed.

This was the first mall I visited when I came to Thailand the first time. At that time it was named "Zen Central".

I'm going to miss that mall too. And Isetan was the go-to place for my wife an the rest of the Japanese community.

What's with that stupid head in the foreground? If it's still there when I come back I swear I'm drawing a mustache on it.

If and when they identify Taksin's financial backing of the redshirts, they should freeze all his assets the gov can get their hands on. They will need to pay for all these costs...

This looting and burning of buldings and destroying of personal property; those responsible should prosecuted fully and be shown no leniency or let off easy. That would be a start of an inkling of a democracy...

Criminal not just shameful...

CB

Are you guys SERIOUSLY still staying faithful to the line that all this happens merely because people got paid a couple baht? Surely it's time to open your eyes to the wider issues in the country?

(Don't let me stop you though if you're happy in your bubble, enjoy it while it lasts. )

Of course. Someone got a 500 Baht bill and then he ran off with it straight towards Central World and started burning it down. Only in Amazing Thailand you can find someone to burn down Asia's 2nd largest shopping mall for less money than my last car wash cost.

Yesterday I wasn't sure but now I know that the reds (and Thaksin) are finished. My daughter came back from school and she told me that the teenagers have enough of the red shits. These children are the future and I think we can have hope.

Keep in mind that every segment of society is divided among class lines. While the kids from your (and mine) school are coming back thinking badly about the reds, there are children all over Thailand coming back with a very different view of events. Little boys playing, wanting to be their hero Seh Daeng, etc. This is the massive challenge that the government (ANY) government faces, trying to make everyone get along again. Tough one.

I completely agree with that. I remember when the protests was at the bridge, not yet at Rajprasong. The government wanted the bridge cleared and ordered the protesters to move elsewhere. Then they moved to Rajprasong. When they got tired of that, instead of negotiating and keeping it at Rajprasong, they started pushing them out of Rajprasong and they ended up spreading all over the city. I believe a UN official compared it to squeezing a water balloon.

Something must have happened last night, though. The Democrat Senators that were negotiating with the red shirts seemed to come in kind of an agreement and there was even answer from Abhisit that they would hold tri-party (government, senators, red shirts) talks on Wednesday. Then however, on Wednesday morning, the government started with the crackdown.

I'm sure that nearly every stage of what has happened has been mishandled. And especially last night, when a breakthrough seemed so near and negotiations almost resuming ...the crackdown was launched. And now the city is burning. This didn't need to happen. I would have liked to see all sides give peace another chance.

We need A LOT MORE people thinking in this kind of pragmatic manner now. But sadly all I hear is "THAT's WHAT THEY WANTED ALL ALONG!" CRUSH THE RED VERMINS!". If we go at it that way, there will be civil war. We were warned this would be the result of a violent crackdown, and yet goverment and red leaders alike steadily worked towards it. Clinging to empty principles and blown up egos on both sides, made most negotiations look like kindergarten.

To make things worse the government totally miscalculated the whole affair right from the start, constanly underestimating the reds while overestimating their own strength (a game the red are also really good at). They knew seizing his assets would provoke a criminal egomaniac like Thaksin to push for another red shirt protest, but they thought it could be dispersed of relatively easy like a year before. So they made a spectacle out of it, applauding themselves daily for finally showing their archenemy that they had the upper hand. They could have let the court case linger, just keeping the money forzen, at least until the next elections would have given them a clear mandate. But they didn't and instead gave the radical reds all the ingredients they needed to exploit rurals Thailand's feelings of political disenfranchisement and turn a big part of the movement into a violent mob, that now took on a life of its own. Concerning Central World and several government buildings in the provinces one should ask why it they were not better protected, even though new threats to do exactly what we see today were issued nearly every day of the week. Once again it seems the government and many hardliners that thought military force alone could end this crisis underestimated the impact the crackdown would have. Now the warnings we hear are of a possible Civil War. And again they are overtoned by cries for military force, unrestricted killings and draconic punishments to give all anti-reds a sense of revenge.

This is a crossroads for Thailand. One path leads to peace achieved through a pragmatic policy of real reconciliation that stops the spiral of hate. But the more likely possibility is indeed Civil War, and then it won't matter anymore who's had the moral highground today.

This guy was charming. My friend had put him up in his house when it was too late for a return trip to Bangkok. One day our trusted driver called us and maybe others with the need for 2,000 baht to get his wife out of the hospital. We were already set up with this information a week or so before and we both deposited money in his account. I got took for $2000 my friend for $3,000. The point is that we as westerners do not have the chops to judge these folks.

Am I missing something here? He asked for 2000baht but between you and your friend, you gave him $5000?

I think anyone from anywhere would take advantage of someone like you!

Yeah I guess you are right. Was worth 2,000 Baht to me for the lesson. I actually don't get taken anywhere else I have been. I also hope he puts my money to some good use for himself or family. And yeah you are missing something as you probably often are, he called us separately and asked me for 2000 and my friend for 3000. We did not find out until later. Also while I no longer run as fast as I used to seldom will I be taken twice by the same guy. In the US I gave a new neighbor 4,000 dollars so he wouldn't miss a rent payment. Hadn't known him long, but was heading towards friendship. If he had took me for my $4,000, lesson learned and time saved. As it turned out, long time friend.

Just saying here my chances are worse since I do not read these folks as well. I believe you and I are very different sorts of folk. I can be took and not be ashamed, at least the first time.

I think I can read you however, troll up my way and we can chat, I might learn something. Always willing to try. I can also teach. Find me via pm or on the Pataya boards.

kdf