Do Other Farangs Acknowledge You In Public?

KunMatt

Be it a threatening animal or in the wrong part of town some basic tenets still hold true:

Never make eye contact.

Never get out of the boat... (Re: Apocalypse Now),

I try to be engaging, wearing my cobra boots with attendant "Please F_ _ _ With Me" tee shirt, long Charles Manson hair and alternating with a creepy Hannibal Lector smile or Jack Nicholson scowl.

Yet somehow I'm only greeted furtively or with apprehension, some people just aren't friendly I guess. :):D

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falang or not, it's simply rude to not return a greeting.

I tend to agree with that........emphasised by the people on the thread who blank other farangs 'because why should they treat them differently'..........like..... they blank the Thai as well? :):D

If I kept seeing the same person, I might greet them, but otherwise don't see any reason to. Sometimes it's nice to talk normally instead of very slow pidgin English. But generally I'm more interested in Thais in London than white people over there.

Some people prefer to be alone for whatever reason, you know, not all people need a lot of friends. Maybe some of these farangs are secretly solving math paradoxes or calculating the distance to the nearest star cluster.

But really, most are probably 'weirdos' who prefer not to get their chosen reality challenged. You know, Thailand is a great place to be a megalomaniac. It's almost unavoidable. How many guys have you met in Thailand who didn't think they were absolutely awesome in every way after having lived here for a while?

Others prefer total anonymity, 'he who lives hidden lives well'.

Then there are those who were far out on the outlier before they got to Thailand and now, as long as the money is flowing, their hired family will let them be as foul and antisocial as they can be, knowing that the less contact they have with others, the easier it will be to manipulate them.

I only ever met these people on Visa runs as I lived in Bangkok. Some seem to have lost any ability to look at themselves honestly. To be fair, I always met a lot of very interesting people on the songthaew from the border and I don't recognize what you're describing. I have almost always shared a few tales with fellow travelers and expats, when I've been in the 'sticks'. Most foreigners in Bangkok do not give a dam_n though and there's no need to either.

Anyway, keep smiling at these people, perhaps it will make their day :)

Why don't you do a search & find out exactly why I've 'clocked up' over 3000 posts since 2005-09-15 09:35:17?

I think I'll take the repetitive thread option thanks.......based on your 10+ comments on this thread that you say should never have been opened!!

A quote from myself:

BTW, I'm fully aware that I am speaking against myself, in the sense that this thread be linked to the old thread. By replying, I am in fact, supporting your new thread. My only hope is that you are able to provide vitality & variation to your thread as opposed to the old thread. :) Maybe if you read the old thread, you could make some improvements?

This thread started out as yet another boring & redundant piece, which could (& still does) fit nicely into an existing thread. The only reason why it is boring is because it has been said before, thus my comments in the above paragraph.

You object to boring and redundant post. We'd have to look far and wide to find any more boring and redundant than what you have put into this thread.

In a show of solidarity with all the hypocrites on this thread, I post this here:

Wouldn't it be better to have a separate thread for off-topic whinging about topics having been covered before, or poor posting practices.

Imagining that I was someone with a genuine interest in whether westerners acknowledged one another or not, I would be peeved at trawling through all this dross.

SC

I tend to agree with that........emphasised by the people on the thread who blank other farangs 'because why should they treat them differently'..........like..... they blank the Thai as well? :D:D

Actually thats just the point there isnt it. I don't run around the place greeting the masses no matter where I am, so why would I start doing it here.

If someone made a massive effort to swim the klong and climb a mountain just to say hello to me I would most likely return the "hello" and perhaps a quick, "go away, pisseoff now or see ya later" comment to follow.

Come on, lets get real, whats the big deal, some want to get around the place making eyes at other foriegners that may or maynot speak english, up to them BUT please leave me out of it. :)

I came here to get away from farangs, so I am not looking to make any new friends myself. However, I do nod/acknowledge almost anyone I meet eyes with, which I believe is the polite thing to do. It is also advisable to keep in mind that not every farang is a native English speaker, so they might not be interested in striking up a conversation with another farang who most likely is one. For myself, I do not accept that just because someone is the same race as me that we will have much in common. As I said, I came here because I found that I didn't have much in common with most of my race, so I am careful to avoid that assumption.

Since 90% of the worlds population are morons I have no intention of racking up friends-points with people I don't know or care for just because they happen to be white. It is not a bonding feature for me.

90%? Where do you fit in that figure? Assuming you have a mother and father and maybe a brother or sister, then if you're not a moron, statistically they are!!

The interesting thing about this topic is the number of times somebody has written in to say they avoid other farangs. I still haven't figured that one out. This is basically a farang forum, and as we've just discovered 90% of us are morons, so why do they join?

In answer to the main question - generally, 'yes'.

You fail at statistics if you think that just because a world sum of morons is 90% it means that any given family would also follow those 90%, as intelligence is inherit and education often follows the path of the parents and siblings (i.e. upbringing and environment).

The 90% is just a selected number that me and friends often quote, as often it feels like that is about the world ratio. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it too much. Or do and you prove the former statement.

And for the record, my post didn't mention that I avoid farangs anymore than I avoid others - 90% is world average, not farang average. But then again, I don't greet every Korean I see either...

The 90% is just a selected number that me and friends often quote, as often it feels like that is about the world ratio. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it too much. Or do and you prove the former statement.

And for the record, my post didn't mention that I avoid farangs anymore than I avoid others - 90% is world average, not farang average. But then again, I don't greet every Korean I see either...

For the record my post didn't mention that you avoid farangs, and I don't wear panties.

I still think that 90% is a bit high. You and your friends must either mix in some strange circles or have a very low opinion of the vast majority of people around you.

I like to talk to a farang when I have the chance. Especially if they are from the UK , Australia or USA.

But I do it only to practise my english. :)

I see the acknowledgement as about fifty fifty. The fifty percent that don't want to be recognized are are on that American TV show American Most Wanted. That's why they do not show this on television in Thailand and they are simply wanke_rs.

Edited by gotlost

I see the acknowledgement as about fifty fifty. The fifty percent that don't want to be recognized are are on that American TV show American Most Wanted. That's why they do not show this on television in Thailand and they are simply wanke_rs.

I never thought about it before, but maybe that's why they don't acknowledge you - they are on the run. First they go to Pattaya, then they realise that half of the underworld are already there, so then they move to some remote village in Issan.  :)

Edited by twofortheroad

Personally, I always smile at Westerners - we are a minority and have something in common. BUT, that's as far as it goes, I have no overwhelming desire to strike up a conversation (unless I meet them in the vets and we can talk about our animals :) )

I'm always suprised though when the person I've smiled at blanks me.... It doesn't happen often, but it does occasionally. Generally I assume they haven't noticed - we all have times when we're thinking about something else and don't notice what's going on around us - but sometimes we see someone a few times, smile - and are ALWAYS completely ignored :D .

It doesn't worry me - its obvious they have a problem of some sort.

I tend to agree with that........emphasised by the people on the thread who blank other farangs 'because why should they treat them differently'..........like..... they blank the Thai as well? :D:D

Actually thats just the point there isnt it. I don't run around the place greeting the masses no matter where I am, so why would I start doing it here.

If someone made a massive effort to swim the klong and climb a mountain just to say hello to me I would most likely return the "hello" and perhaps a quick, "go away, pisseoff now or see ya later" comment to follow.

Come on, lets get real, whats the big deal, some want to get around the place making eyes at other foriegners that may or maynot speak english, up to them BUT please leave me out of it. :)

Oh I don't mind if people don't respond ND.....it is a free world...I really don't even think people have to be miserable not to respond.....but I find no problem with looking anybody in the eye and saying hello, good morning.......and contrary to many peoples apparent experience here, I have not met many people who fail to understand hello or good morning, many times I just nod..........I don't often get into a conversation have no real wish to......I'm certainly not looking to broaden my list of friends......just being polite... :D

I've said before I was raised in a village.......if you walked down the street and passed somebody without saying hello your parents would get to know about how rude you were.....you walked with your head up and your eyes open.......and tough shit if you tripped.. :D

I still think that 90% is a bit high. You and your friends must either mix in some strange circles or have a very low opinion of the vast majority of people around you.

Ever opened a newspaper? Yes, we do have a very low opinion of people around us. :)

Come on, lets get real, whats the big deal, some want to get around the place making eyes at other foriegners that may or maynot speak english, up to them BUT please leave me out of it. :D

Oh I don't mind if people don't respond ND.....it is a free world...I really don't even think people have to be miserable not to respond.....but I find no problem with looking anybody in the eye and saying hello, good morning.......and contrary to many peoples apparent experience here, I have not met many people who fail to understand hello or good morning, many times I just nod..........I don't often get into a conversation have no real wish to......I'm certainly not looking to broaden my list of friends......just being polite... :D

I've said before I was raised in a village.......if you walked down the street and passed somebody without saying hello your parents would get to know about how rude you were.....you walked with your head up and your eyes open.......and tough shit if you tripped.. :)

Bit like driving around country Australia and ever car that goes in the opposite direction driven by a local gives the finger (polite finger, front of hand, not rear of hand) :D

About 6 years ago I was spending a couple of weeks, before and after Songkran, in Kanchanaburi, the I was, on my Pat, drinking Scotch & Soda standing at the bar, (the on the corner where Pong Phen Guesthouse is), when two 60 something farangs rolled up. Kan was alot quieter in those days than it is now and there no other farangs around. Naturally i looked up and was about to say G'day! when with one look I could tell they were not just ignoring me, their body language indicated that they wanted me to know that they were deliberately ignoring me.

Fair enough. I thought. If you want to be like that, who gives a rats.

I finished my drink, caught the bartenders attention, then in a loud clear voice, ordered another.

One of the two farangs then walked over and aksed, Where are you from?. I told him I was Australian.

With that, the other farang joined us. They both told me that by the look of the shorts I was wearing, they thought I was a Brit Tourist. (I don't know why, the shorts were very Australian, but never mind, I digress.) And since I was English, according to their observations, they were not going to talk to me, nor have anything to do with me. I was a bit gobsmacked because the bloke who said this was, in fact, English!!!

The other bloke, his mate, was Welsh. So he had a fair enought excuse i reckon hehehe. They were both Ex Pats and lived somewhere in between NP and Kan and had driven up for a weekend on the piss in Kan. They both told me that they didn't like, nor associate with other Brit tourists.

Ok, no problem on my part. I'm cool with that.

We settled in for the afternoon, and, in fact, we enjoyed a splendid weekend in each others company, getting pissed and belting out Tom Jones numbers at the top of our lungs and spinning stories. They were a couple of great blokes.

So you never know do you.

As my mum always said, good manners cost nothing.

About 6 years ago I was spending a couple of weeks, before and after Songkran, in Kanchanaburi, the I was, on my Pat, drinking Scotch & Soda standing at the bar, (the on the corner where Pong Phen Guesthouse is), when two 60 something farangs rolled up. Kan was alot quieter in those days than it is now and there no other farangs around. Naturally i looked up and was about to say G'day! when with one look I could tell they were not just ignoring me, their body language indicated that they wanted me to know that they were deliberately ignoring me.

I finished my drink, caught the bartenders attention, then in a loud clear voice, ordered another.

One of the two farangs then walked over and aksed, Where are you from?. I told him I was Australian.

With that, the other farang joined us. They both told me that by the look of the shorts I was wearing, they thought I was a Brit Tourist. (I don't know why, the shorts were very Australian, but never mind, I digress.) And since I was English, according to their observations, they were not going to talk to me, nor have anything to do with me. I was a bit gobsmacked because the bloke who said this was, in fact, English!!!

The other bloke, his mate, was Welsh. So he had a fair enought excuse i reckon hehehe. They were both Ex Pats and lived somewhere in between NP and Kan and had driven up for a weekend on the piss in Kan. They both told me that they didn't like, nor associate with other Brit tourists.

We settled in for the afternoon, and, in fact, we enjoyed a splendid weekend in each others company, getting pissed and belting out Tom Jones numbers at the top of our lungs and spinning stories. They were a couple of great blokes.

Maybe they were worried that other "Brits" could have easily judged them for a pair of <deleted> that they obviously were.

I've said before I was raised in a village.......if you walked down the street and passed somebody without saying hello your parents would get to know about how rude you were.....you walked with your head up and your eyes open.......and tough shit if you tripped.. :D

Bit like driving around country Australia and ever car that goes in the opposite direction driven by a local gives the finger (polite finger, front of hand, not rear of hand) :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My father was the local insurance collector so knew everybody.....same as you say, everybody knew his car......when my sisters grew up and went out in his car.....thought all the old pervs in the district were waving at them as they passed..... :D

Edit:screws up the post if too many quotes and I just delete a few!!!

Edited by 473geo

I only say hello to other foreigners i see on a regular basis......tourists and people i don't see from time to time,i ignore

Reason being,every time I've had a conversation with tourists and some other expats it always leads to some personal questions.........

Some Q's are OK,some are just plain nosy!

Examples-

Where are you from.......ok

Do you live here..........ok

Where did you get the money for......nosy

How much do you earn...........nosy

How much are you worth.........nosy

Whats your GF like in bed.......fuc_k off nosy

Maybe they were worried that other "Brits" could have easily judged them for a pair of <deleted> that they obviously were.

could this have been the welsh fella by any chance!

Oh God, I hope not.......................

I did not come to Thailand to spend my time with farangs.!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm, pretty strong. I would be lucky (or unlucky, depending on your take) if i talked face to face with another farang any more than once per month. I don't get to meet alot where I am. I also said that i wouldn't live in Thailand if the only Thai friends I had, and all those that I knew, spoke to and interacted with were girls who worked in bars.

I have been travelling this part of the world since i was 16, In that time, I have met alot more good people than i have dickheads. I enjoy meeting people from different places. You can always learn something.

Strictly in terms of this Topic. Do I run around acknowleging other random, unknown farangs in public, simply because they are farangs and 'we all need to stick together' whilst living tough in the Kingdom? No. Why would I. But that doesn't mean I have to be a sad anti-social prick either, and given the right circumstances I am always up for a yak and a drink and a bit of conviviality. it is what makes the world go round isn't it?