What Would The Import Duties Be On Importaing A Thai Made Bike Back Into Thailand?

The price of used triumphs is fairly cheap in the states these days. If I was to purchase one, and ship to Thailand, would I still have to pay customs and import duty if the bike is in fact a made in Thailand bike? Anyone know what the circumstances are to ship back to Thailand bikes that were originally made there?

As I understand it right, even the Triumphs made here and sold here aren't excluded from the high taxes. It's as if they must virtually export and virtually import them before they sell them here. They don't have the exemptions Kawasaki has with some of their big bikes made and sold here.

Interesting question because in theory customs are supposed to be applied to foreign made goods.

Scuba: So are you saying that the answer is "NO" for Tumpets but "Maybe" for Kawi's?

CBR: An import is not always an import. There are special case for people re-locating, special case for items begin serviced in another country then returning, and special cases for items that have already been taxed but have made additional trips so although I am not saying it it is the case here I do think the question is valid.

Edited by vision

It sure is a little complex ,if the bikes was assembled in a duty free zone then duty might still be payable. Length of ownership might play a part in duty assessment as Vision noted, if it is part of your personal possessions rather than a direct import it may be assessed differently.

You need to talk to someone in the business. How about talking to Triumph Thailand , tell them you own one and do they know the process or who you can talk to. You never know ,sometimes they will know someone who knows someone to handle this smoothly.

Customs assess duty based on the market value of an equivalent machine here which is where the deal can be killed, but it is worth following through until you get to a point of knowing for sure whether it will work or not. I will watch with interest. I have a couple of 1500cc Honda's in Oz I would love to bring here so I am curious to know if the attitudes are shifting towards imports of big bikes.

Scuba: So are you saying that the answer is "NO" for Tumpets but "Maybe" for Kawi's?

No. I am saying that it is "I doubt it" for Triumphs because they are still treated like imports for some reason. (re duty free zone mausplan spoke of). No idea on the Kwackers, but I have never heard anyone saying they have been successful and happy with this process. Usually the suggestion given on here by those that have tried or done, or know someone who has, is don't bother. You are either going to run into so many bureaucratic brick walls or "people that know how to handle it smoothly" that by the time you are done greasing all the right palms that it won't have been worth it. Which you will need to do whether you are following rules or not. A government official in Thailand is in their mind in a position to either grant or deny you something you want. The rules and proper paperwork are just a formality and make little difference to him. Only money will allow you to move forward at each step. Many many accounts of customs being the most corrupt and extortionate arm of government in Thailand.

... I am curious to know if the attitudes are shifting towards imports of big bikes.

I don't think so. Everything I have heard is Thailand is really cracking down on big bike gray imports because they are cutting deals with manufactures like Kawasaki and others to move factories here and also be able to sell them at a price similar to that which they sell for in the states, the UK etc. Promises were made to Kawasaki that they would do more get these bikes off Thai roads. Sorry I can't site sources or be more articulate than that, it's just what I have been reading and hearing over and over again.

CBR: An import is not always an import. There are special case for people re-locating, special case for items begin serviced in another country then returning, and special cases for items that have already been taxed but have made additional trips so although I am not saying it it is the case here I do think the question is valid.

Vision. I do understand that. But as yet i have NEVER heard from anyone that has had a totally straight forward interaction with Thai customs and then the Transport dept. I have heard of people that have done temporary imports.

By the way you do some cool metalwork :)

Sub. Which Triumph you looking at. I think that an import is an import especially if its 2nd hand

Not a particular model. I just have been finding them cheap lately. Speed triples can be had for less than $4k. I found a 955 Daytona for less than $1500 needing a little work (don't think it was Thai made though). It doesn't seem that the Triumphs have really great resale value in the states, and certainly cheaper than Thailand. :)

Sub. Which Triumph you looking at. I think that an import is an import especially if its 2nd hand

Not a particular model. I just have been finding them cheap lately. Speed triples can be had for less than $4k. I found a 955 Daytona for less than $1500 needing a little work (don't think it was Thai made though). It doesn't seem that the Triumphs have really great resale value in the states, and certainly cheaper than Thailand. :)

I think its essential to check the VIN to see if its classified as Thai, UK or US made bike. and then check document of origin, which should be on file where vehicle was first registered in US. without these two saying "made in Thailand" its 80% importduty, and 35% excise tax with less than 2000cc, pluss all the other stuff. Only Calif spec passes thai emission at 30k baht fee with small mods, other specs budget 80k baht incl fee to temporary modify to pass.

customs will usually just look at new bike price in LOS to determine amount of duties/taxes.

anyone wonders why Thai made Kawasaki from mainly Thai made parts are selling like fresh bread in LOS :D

I spoke to Triumph UK last June, before I moved here in August, when I was looking to buy a new Triumph twin in Thailand. The reason they gave, at the time, for the high prices here is that the FRAMES are Thai built but the ENGINES are UK manufacture. The bike is therefore not 100% Thai and is therefore subject to the high taxes.

I spoke to Triumph UK last June, before I moved here in August, when I was looking to buy a new Triumph twin in Thailand. The reason they gave, at the time, for the high prices here is that the FRAMES are Thai built but the ENGINES are UK manufacture. The bike is therefore not 100% Thai and is therefore subject to the high taxes.

70-80% of the bikes parts must be Thai made to avoid importduties and qualify for BOI investment support, presently only Kawasaki has done this.

Enkei, Bridgestone, Nissin, Tokyko, electric parts, are already here for the autoindustry, so its easily doable for the japs bikes using these suppliers.

No, Triumph's factory has been much expanded and they are doing engine castings now, not sure if they want to make a cheap model for Asia, though, as they are trying to premium brand the range throughout the world. Well done Kawasaki, though, for doing the deal with Thailand (and being able to export in the region as well), hopefully when all the buyers give the finger to the other brands for being so overpriced (or overtaxed) they will have a rethink, it would not take much for Triumph to do the deed.

sub holds a Thai passport I believe... not sure if it applies to vehicles but Thais are exempt from import duty after living overseas for a certain number of years. Worth checking out.