Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

--The recent episode of the BTS Sukhumvit line train stopping and having its doors open short of the station.

--LG's info in another thread about the build quality problems BTS has experienced with the new CNR railcars.

--The SRT cutting back on the headways/frequency of the ARL line, and the longer travel times/slower train speeds.

--And now Joseph's info about conditions at Makkasan, and the potential issue about stairs/escalator's on the MRT-ARL walkway being built at Makkasan.

A lot of pretty depressing news.

One would hope the SRT/ARL folks involved in planning/executing the pedestrian walkway link would have had enough common sense to understand it needs to have escalators and a design suitable for people carrying suitcases from the Airport.

But then again, those same folks didn't exactly hit a home run with all the failings in their original designs for the ARL stations.

Will be very interested to find out what they're really doing with the stairs/escalators issue on the Makkasan walkway.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I've noticed that for the past few weeks the trains have all been running at a much reduced speed - it feels like almost half their old speed. Does anyone know the reason for this? It's pretty frustrating.

I'm guess it's due to some sort of (lack of) maintenance issue??

Yes I have noticed the same the last couple of times and given that the SRTET has reduced schedules due to insufficient rolling stock availability arising from some reoccurring maintenance problems this reason would seem to make sense?

Is this the Express or City Line, or both?

I assume this makes the end-end trips what 50% longer in minutes? More?

Obviously stairs only on the passenger link would be a huge safety concern what with people hoisting 25 kg luggage up/down stairs. It probably looks like stairs now but I think they'll have two escalators? Given how they've had to thread this walkway it already looks like some sort of Disney ride.

Hi,

I haven't been on the express for a long time so can't say for sure but I live near the line and they "look" to be going slowly too. I don't use the line "end to end" but I would say the journey time must be 50% longer. I don't think I'm going to bother with it again until I notice they're back at full speed - it's just too frustrating otherwise and no longer offers the benefit it used to.

Regarding the disney ride MRT link, I want to point out that it only looked like stairs only last night (but it was dark and I was on the opposite side of the road), I'm not 100% sure, so don't take that as gospel.

Edited by josephbloggs

Apparently, the frequency of the Express train has been reduced. About two weeks ago, I stopped at the ticket booth in Suvarnabhumi and was told that they next express train would be leaving in one hour's time, and they suggested the City Line. This was at about 5pm. Who wants to wait an hour for an "express train".

Although it was rush hour, I took a taxi and was home before the Express train even left the station.

Does anyone know if they are still running the express train at one hour intervals, or was this just an anomaly?

I've noticed that for the past few weeks the trains have all been running at a much reduced speed - it feels like almost half their old speed. Does anyone know the reason for this? It's pretty frustrating.

I'm guess it's due to some sort of (lack of) maintenance issue??

Yes I have noticed the same the last couple of times and given that the SRTET has reduced schedules due to insufficient rolling stock availability arising from some reoccurring maintenance problems this reason would seem to make sense?

Is this the Express or City Line, or both?

I assume this makes the end-end trips what 50% longer in minutes? More?

Obviously stairs only on the passenger link would be a huge safety concern what with people hoisting 25 kg luggage up/down stairs. It probably looks like stairs now but I think they'll have two escalators? Given how they've had to thread this walkway it already looks like some sort of Disney ride.

Hi,

I haven't been on the express for a long time so can't say for sure but I live near the line and they "look" to be going slowly too. I don't use the line "end to end" but I would say the journey time must be 50% longer. I don't think I'm going to bother with it again until I notice they're back at full speed - it's just too frustrating otherwise and no longer offers the benefit it used to.

Regarding the disney ride MRT link, I want to point out that it only looked like stairs only last night (but it was dark and I was on the opposite side of the road), I'm not 100% sure, so don't take that as gospel.

I'm not. The contract specifies escalators and the structure that is being adjacent to the MRT entrance appears to be consistent with hosuing escalators.

One can't exclude the contractor 'forgetting' to install them as a way of making some extra cash for a trip to europe or splurging on his mia noi but I think even the SRT would would be onto that quickly.

It is after all costing nearly US$3m (84m baht) and even though the current design seems shoddy some of that money has to be justified on something expensive!

I can't agree with the 50% longer journey guesstimate. Might be adding on 3-5 mins extra but no where near 12 mins extra. Though, do feel free to time it......

It may be also worth mentioning not to rely at all on the timetables linked on the site, http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/ as they are the old ones.

As was noted above and previously on the previous page schedules changed in Jan but somehow no one at the SRTET seems to be able to find the time to post the new timetables on the website!

I believe the Express headways, for both MAS<->SVB and PTY<->SVB changed to one hour on 14 January 2013, at least that's what the new signage in PTY, MAS and SVB would indicate

Thanks for posting that. So it's official - the "express" train only runs once per hour. So that means that only if you get on the train after 15 minutes past the hour, it's faster than taking a taxi from the airport!

I can't agree with the 50% longer journey guesstimate. Might be adding on 3-5 mins extra but no where near 12 mins extra. Though, do feel free to time it......

Hi LG,
Whilst I definitely don't want to argue with you - and I certainly don't want to time it - I think the answer is somewhere inbetween. Yes, it's sad, but I had the opportunity to measure the speed of two trains today. One was a City Line and one was an Express. They were going in opposite directions and were in a long section of open track where they normally travel full speed. Both were going a steady 75-80kph over the couple of kilometres I measured, so pretty much half speed.
Of course that doesn't translate in to a journey time twice as long, but it probably means about a 30% longer commute.
Anyway, the point of my original post was not to argue about the journey time, merely to comment that they are now running very slowly, and they have been for several weeks. As a big fan of the ARL this disappoints me tremendously. I don't want the TV naysayers to be right for once.
Edited by josephbloggs

The construction of the pedestrian link between the CAT and MRT Phetchaburi station is now occurring on both sides of Asoke/Ratchada rd. Expected to be completed by March.

This is the alignment of the bridge;

image-6B99_5096738B.jpg

Installation of extra escalators at 3 stations has also finally begun. Pic of Phayathai station platform;

0225.jpg

This is certainly an 'interesting' new development. Just as there are people who never have something nice to say, there are those who won't admit to the faults of things. I use ARL many times each week. After nearly 2.5 years, I am still astounded by how poorly the stations are designed. To me, it's pretty obvious that passenger access to stations was not really on anyone's mind while designing the stations. My issues most concern the amount of walking and zig-zagging up and down stairs from the train platforms to the street. Makkasan station is a disgrace with regard to 'walkability' in this regard...I mean, the so-called connection between ARL and MRT takes pedestrians across railroad tracks and a busy street. Similarly, at PT, why doesn't the escalator simply go straight up/down between platforms rather than the long walk with all the zig-zagging up and down?

When I attend classes in the morning and need to commute between 8-9am, the boarding and riding experiences are AWFUL. The trains are packed and often people can't board, even shy Thai ladies are barging onto the trains - there isn't a "Thai smile" anywhere to be found. Finally, because I'm only traveling one stop, I now use motorcycle taxi and avoid the ARL. This fix certainly isn't a game-changer in making it better.

In the US, where I'm from, designs for large public buildings like ARL are required by law to be reviewed by the public and the agency in charge is required to hold public hearings on such projects where accessiblity issues are discussed. To me, the benefits of this process are obvious when reviewing all of the design and operations issues with ARL.

Will be very interested to find out what they're really doing with the stairs/escalators issue on the Makkasan walkway.

I was by Makkasan today, and it looked like there will be at least two entrances to the elevated walkway

--one at the corner where the ARL Makkasan Station is located.

--the other across the other side of Asoke Road where the MRT is located.

Here's what the ARL corner stairs/walkup looked like today:

post-58284-0-79700400-1363851786_thumb.j post-58284-0-58955700-1363851787_thumb.j

Here's what the MRT stairs/walkup looked like today:

post-58284-0-99998500-1363851821_thumb.j post-58284-0-80650600-1363851822_thumb.j

It honestly doesn't look like those stairs are currently designed to accommodate escalators. But maybe we're not seeing the whole picture, so to speak?

I timed the City Line trains earlier in the week and would say that actual elapsed times are about 40 - 45 % longer than the schedule reflects. My sample size was "two trips", so hardly definitive.

I was by Makkasan today, and it looked like there will be at least two entrances to the elevated walkway

attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.23.45.jpg attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.24.01.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.30.01.jpg attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.30.06.jpg

I walk the portion between Makassan and Petchaburi MRT on most days. This new walkway will eliminate approximately 200 meters of walking between the two stations - that's a step in the right direct. However, the way the new overhead walkway is configured, it makes a turn to the left when walking toward MRT and then down to the street. My question is why doesn't turn to the right, toward MRT? True, it would need to extend over the railroad tracks and four-lane road, but shouldn't sort of be the point, eliminate the need for pedestrians to cross roadtracks and a busy road?

Right now, everyone coming and going must cross railroad tracks and a very busy street. Turning the overhead walkway toward MRT over these would make the walked infinitely better. However, it isn't, and the current configuration turns pedestrians away from the station putting them on a narrow, poorly-maintained sidewalk and now will need to cross the service road for Makkassan, along with tracks and other roadway.

Of course, there are design, cost, and engineering challenges to do this, but, you only build it one time. On the other hand, all system users will need to deal with this every day and in many cases, more that once a day. In addition, the stair configuration forces literally everyone to make a 'switch back' when getting on/off the stairs. This forces pedestrians going in both directions into each others path as they walk in opposite directions when getting on and off the stairs. Frankly, this feature of switch-backs at the tops/bottoms of stairs and escalators in endemic through out the system and could be an entire topic of discussion itself. As another poster has mentioned, the stair being installed does not appear to be for an escalator. It would be beyond imagination to not install a mechanical escalator there - without it, there will be lots and lots of people carried their bags and babies on the stairs. A large curb cutout will be needed at the Makassan access road but I'm not holding my breath for that.

All of these design deficiencies could have been corrected in the planning process with even the smallest amount of public input. Moreover, I simply flabbergasted that such basic ideas and principles are so overlooked in the designs of these public transit buildings. It all seems to have been designed without any thought about the pedestrian users.

I walk the portion between Makassan and Petchaburi MRT on most days. This new walkway will eliminate approximately 200 meters of walking between the two stations - that's a step in the right direct. However, the way the new overhead walkway is configured, it makes a turn to the left when walking toward MRT and then down to the street. My question is why doesn't turn to the right, toward MRT? True, it would need to extend over the railroad tracks and four-lane road, but shouldn't sort of be the point, eliminate the need for pedestrians to cross roadtracks and a busy road?

Right now, everyone coming and going must cross railroad tracks and a very busy street. Turning the overhead walkway toward MRT over these would make the walked infinitely better. However, it isn't, and the current configuration turns pedestrians away from the station putting them on a narrow, poorly-maintained sidewalk and now will need to cross the service road for Makkassan, along with tracks and other roadway.

Eh? It does turn towards the MRT and will drop you where the small car park used to be next to the MRT entrance. So it does cross Ratchada road and the railway tracks. All in all a massive step (actually many steps) in the right direction. But please please please let there be escalators. That will be a horrendous mistake if there won't be any.

It honestly doesn't look like those stairs are currently designed to accommodate escalators. But maybe we're not seeing the whole picture, so to speak?

I timed the City Line trains earlier in the week and would say that actual elapsed times are about 40 - 45 % longer than the schedule reflects. My sample size was "two trips", so hardly definitive.

Not definitive, but is backed up by all my recent experiences. It's been like that for a couple of months I'd say so maybe it is a deeper problem than a lack of spare parts?

Eh? It does turn towards the MRT and will drop you where the small car park used to be next to the MRT entrance. So it does cross Asoke and the railway tracks. All in all a massive step (actually many steps) in the right direction. But please please please let there be escalators. That will be a horrendous mistake if there won't be any.

I'm talking about the side of the main ARL station, not across Asoke at the underground MRT station and parking lot. It's the new overhead walkway below the tracks coming out the ARL station and extending out to Asoke. It doesn't cross any roads or railroad tracks. The new elevated walkway does indeed turn to the left and away from the MRT station...that's my point. I'm familiar with the area and walk through often. I see the red line in the photo showing a proposed walkway from the ARL station crossing Asoke, then turning right to MRT, but the walkway currently installed doesn't look like that at all.

Edited by Jawnie

There are no structures or framework in the ARL photos that appear to be for escalators.

I'm not a contractor, so it's hard for me to tell... But those certainly look like they're headed toward becoming stairs instead of escalators.

The one feature I found interesting, which can be seen at both of the locations, is the walkways each have a flat section or sections in the middle separating the up/down angled sections.

Presumably that's a place for the huffing and puffing travelers to rest midway through lugging their suitcases up the stairs. blink.png

But it all works out for the Thai economy, after all... Scratch two escalators. Add a couple of black Mercedes Benz sedans and untold bahts of gold.

Not definitive, but is backed up by all my recent experiences. It's been like that for a couple of months I'd say so maybe it is a deeper problem than a lack of spare parts?

I did actually time two City Line trips a few days ago between MAK and SVB. The previous timetable listed this journey as being 20 mins exactly, from PT to SVB 24mins (Though I seem to recollect when the ARL first opened it was 26mins). I'd state that the trains were slower than even 2 weeks ago!

MAK to SVB: Dep 12:14pm, arr 12:40pm = 26mins (no dwell time at Hua Mark for an Express),

SVB to MAK: Dep 1:43 pm, Arr 2:10pm = 27mins

As with lomo, only 2 trips but the extra time does accord with his estimates and I note that the service was SLOWER than even two weeks ago when I last used it.

So what is going on? I have asked a thai rail person to query the exact issue. A couple of recent bits of info.

1) All rolling stock has done over 1 million miles and this requires major servicing. That is contributing to the problem of unavailable rolling stock.

2) The SRTET is virtually out of funds for parts. In fact the govt is currently looking to take operations completely away from the SRT as it looks to establish a new special purpose organisation to run the new HSR lines. Meanwhile, the SRT has established a new arm to run the two commuter Red lines

3) The ave daily pax has now hit 50 000.

I think that the lower speed is required due to an ongoing issue with parts and/ or design such as the previous carbon brush issue - they were wearing out too quick - and the problem with the tunnel design. However, the flaw in my suggestion with that example is that a slower speed would only be required in the tunnel and not the whole journey.

Didn't you guys know???

It's part of the MRT's new power conservation campaign -- turn off the escalators and let people climb the stairs. tongue.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/627164-mrt-to-suspend-escalator-service-during-daytime-to-help-save-energy/?hl=%2Bmrt#entry6226378

Except that you missed the bit where the BMCL is stating that they are only shutting down DOWN escalators. Thus people have to walk down, no one need climb up if what they state is correct.

I have made the point elsewhere many moons ago that the BMCL could actually save costs if they ran their escalators slower during off peak and programmed the escalators to suspend running when there are periods of no pax, then auto start when a pax walks onto it. The same as the escalators at Klong Toey station (which has the lowest pax of any station). Not sure why they have not done this as it is a no brainer.

Eh? It does turn towards the MRT and will drop you where the small car park used to be next to the MRT entrance. So it does cross Asoke and the railway tracks. All in all a massive step (actually many steps) in the right direction. But please please please let there be escalators. That will be a horrendous mistake if there won't be any.

I'm talking about the side of the main ARL station, not across Asoke at the underground MRT station and parking lot. It's the new overhead walkway below the tracks coming out the ARL station and extending out to Asoke. It doesn't cross any roads or railroad tracks. The new elevated walkway does indeed turn to the left and away from the MRT station...that's my point. I'm familiar with the area and walk through often. I see the red line in the photo showing a proposed walkway from the ARL station crossing Asoke, then turning right to MRT, but the walkway currently installed doesn't look like that at all.

Jawnie, I'm not sure that I fully understand this.

Remember that the sat pic with the red lines is indicative of the alignment only. The fact that the link does a small left just before it hits Asoke/Ratchada due to a support pillar is negligible. A bit silly but negligible My greater concern is you stand near where the last link stanchion is located and then look directly east across Ratachada rd, you can see that the span across the road will have to angle back south to avoid the derelict building (which I assume is being demolished). Any span cannot cross the road at 90 degrees to the road as the building blocks it at the opposite side. Check that out as it is problematic.

Also, when reading your earlier post there are two points. Firstly, the route you discuss was the initial underground route for the link which is to the closest MRT entrance (wish I could remember the exit number) adjacent to Kamphaeng Phet 7 road. This could not be built as I mentioned earlier in the thread due to oil and water pipelines running along the railway line. An elevated link along this same route was unable to be built due to a height concern, which to be honest I never really understood.

I think that you may be getting caught up in the first stairs exit from the link which exits north down to Ratchada rd? (posted in TBGs first 2 pics) I would doubt that many people will end up using these stairs which are essentially for people to get to the bus stop which is further north. Some people wanting a taxi north probably will use it, I for one will. No need for escalators here as most likely only a few will use it.

LG, it was an expression of humor and sarcasm....

But, while we're at it, the SRT UP escalators inside the Makkasan ARL station already appear to operate that way...at least when we went thru there yesterday.

Inside the terminal, all the escalators were on...but not moving... Then when you want toward the entry point, some kind of sensor detects your movement and starts the escalator running.

Obviously at Makkasan ARL, there are plenty of times when the escalator just sits there un-used. I suspect the same kind of set-up at MRT stations would probably get a whole lot less down time.

The Minister of Transport has been making noises that the ARL ext from Phaya Thai to Bang Sue and Don Muang will be tender soon. Most likely that means sometime by April with work begging mid year. We'll wait and see how it unfolds.

SRT has included the ARL extension in their 2013 spending program. The 22km ext will cost 29 billion baht. http://www.manager.co.th/iBizChannel/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9560000034893

I still think that this will be tendered soon but I do note that the Dark Red LIne commuter to Rangsit where work was meant to start this month is being slightly delayed - which is a good thing - while some consultants work out the best way to integrate the Red Line, ARL and new HSR lines on what will be a super viaduct from Bang Sue north to DMK & Rangsit. The previous design from 5 years ago was for a 6 line configuration (2 red, 2 ARL, 2 intercity).

Edited by Lakegeneve

I would get too caught up about these stairs. They exit north along on the west, northbound side of Ratchada rd for people to go to the bus stop or take a northbound taxi on Ratchada. I don't believe that many will use this exit and it really doesn't need escalators. They are the same stairs to the left in this pic as the first 2 pics of TGJ;

559819_10200293972044730_713446116_n.jpg(Pic credit to Marut SSC)

The exit to the MRT is a concern - contrary to my earlier statement - now that the support frame for what appears to be stairs has been installed, I had a look on Tues and it is difficult not to reach the same conclusion that we are have based on what is currently built. The contract specifies escalators ............

20uv404.jpg

One other issues to note is that the width of the large frame and the stairwell is narrow and will create a bottleneck (a problem for the whole link for when it is busy - think about the scenario of a large crowd from the ARL meeting the crowd from the MRT, many with baggage. Also, refer to the current MRT-BTS link at Silom during peak times). You can get an idea in this pic taken a few weeks ago;

img5116zp.jpg

(Credit to Kendo, SSC dated 3 March)

A US$3m link?!

The most concerning aspect of the link is that it is costing some 83m baht (nearly US$3m) and yet thus far it really looks like a cheap steel bridge which would cost less than US$.5m!! Design wise, it really is underwhelming.

It is not going to be wide enough and will have a few bottlenecks when there are large crowds using it. I wonder about the quality (eg. will the floor be suitable?). IF there is no escalator installed as required at the MRT end then one really has to wonder what exactly is all that money is being spent on.....(though I alluded to it in post #336) ?

Deadline, what deadline?

Important to also remember that the contract specified a 120 day construction period and we have already passed that deadline - though we all assumed that this would occur as it always does with every project here. I'd guess that we still have 10-12 weeks minimum before this is close to being finished (factoring in Songkhran and public holidays)

You can get an idea on the pace of work, the 1st pic I took 3.5 weeks ago, the 2nd Marut took a 6 days ago. Not much change in 3 weeks.

2llzzmr.jpg

602062_10200293968204634_769774714_n.jpg(Credit to Marut)

Edited by Lakegeneve

My guess is that no one will use this passenger link save perhaps during a hard rain storm. Easier, safer, faster to use exit 3 from the Petchaburi MRT station (of course there is no signage indicating that this is the current exit to use for CAT, it merely says "Don Bosco Technical School") as we do today, and risk getting run down by an SRT train.laugh.png

In a lot of these pictures this walkway appears to undulate, that is to say, it does not appear to be level. Is that some trick of the pictures or is that how they had to thread this link though the gaps available?

Maybe they could install a coin-operated dumb-waiter for luggage.whistling.gif

Of course if they run out of functioning rolling stock any critiques of this passenger link are moot.rolleyes.gif

It is sad to see the giant City Air Terminal empty, perhaps representative of the famous "White Elephant"? wai.gif

I think it's almost too barren to film TV dramas, but I guess they do shoot some print commercials there.clap2.gif

Edited by lomatopo

So what is going on? I have asked a thai rail person to query the exact issue.

And I received a most prompt reply......

The max operating speed has been reduced to 80kph due to the fact that the track is degrading quicker than it should due to over usage and a lack of appropriate maintenance leading to roughness and in some cases some cracked rail. This has a greater impact upon the turnouts and is reporting leading to some cracking primarily at turnouts - which ultimately could cause a derailment at a turnout.

The SRTET needs to purchase a new rail grinding maintenance vehicle to smooth the track & turnouts AND/OR in the long term replace the whole track.

I am a bit surprised by this as the track is rated at 60 and I would have thought it would be very durable for this line.

No prices for guessing in which country the track and turnouts were manufactured.....

• Like 1

The max operating speed has been reduced to 80kph due to the fact that the track is degrading quicker than it should due to over usage

and a lack of appropriate maintenance leading to roughness and in some cases some cracked rail.

This has a greater impact upon the turnouts and is reporting leading to some cracking primarily at turnouts

- which ultimately could cause a derailment at a turnout.

WOW!!! blink.png

More "good" news on the Thai rail front. How can it be said the ARL track is degrading due to "over usage"???

That I don't understand at all....on the ARL line???

Meanwhile, as for the Makkasan pedestrian bridge, I had the same impression as Loma in looking at the latest photos above...

The floor of the bridge really looks like one of those amusement park obstacle courses where you run across a bridge

while the floor sections are undulating up and down. sick.gif

The only thing I can think of (wishfully), is that the different segments are laid out but not fully bolted down and secured as yet,

thus not having a smooth, even base.

Perhaps the contractor on the Makkasan bridge is the same company (not) building on the hundreds of police stations around the country. tongue.png

If all this is the caliber of the current government's coming public works program including the various new rail lines and extensions,

God help us with what's going to be built, and how well it will be built, with the 2 trillion baht they're cooking up.

The Bt2-trillion infrastructure borrowing bill, which will allow the

government to raise the entire amount by end-2020 and require it to

clear the debt in 50 years, got the Cabinet's approval on Tuesday.

Including accumulated interest, the total loan burden for the

Bt2-trillion budget will be about Bt5.1 trillion.

Korn said that the B2-trillion bill gave no information about the

infrastructure projects. The bill only gave legal authority to the

government to provide a huge amount of loans. They provide no guarantee

on returning by those borrowing the money, whether it will be worth it

or not.

"I believe in the government's ability to facilitate nominal GDP growth

at 7 per cent annually as the actual GDP growth will be about 4 per cent

plus another 3 per cent inflation. However, the government's

rice-pledging scheme will create a big loan burden of Bt410 billion by

the end of this year, and the burden will be increased by between Bt200

billion and Bt300 billion every year as long as the government continued

its rice-pledging scheme. This means that the public debt level will be

increased by 2 per cent and 3 per cent of GDP every year," Korn said.

He add that if the government continued to push policies that damaged

the country, Thailand's economy had a high possibility of a crisis as

the level of public debt would surge to between 50 per cent and 60 per

cent of the country's GDP.

Korn gave the example of the Bt350-billion borrowing bill made

previously by the government to finance flood-related investment. The

bill was proposed as the government claimed it wanted to urgently solve

the flood problem.

However, he said, one year had already passed, but the government had

spent only Bt6 billion of the budget. They had not clarified about how

to manage the remaining Bt340 billion borrowing fund.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/627660-former-finance-minister-korn-questions-bt2tn-loan-bill/

Was out and around today, and noticed the design differences between current BTS stairways and escalators...

The stairwells have the up/flat/up/flat type design that you can see from the side view, giving pedestrians one or two landing points mid-climb or descent.

post-58284-0-72703400-1363949602_thumb.j

The escalators, on the other hand, have a short flat far lower and far upper section, but the entire middle upward section is a straight, consistent angled ascent.

post-58284-0-52197000-1363949608_thumb.j

Which kind of design are we seeing in both of the access points to the Makkasan pedestrian bridge???

post-58284-0-79531600-1363949817_thumb.j post-58284-0-24247200-1363949827_thumb.j

So what is going on? I have asked a thai rail person to query the exact issue.

And I received a most prompt reply......

The max operating speed has been reduced to 80kph due to the fact that the track is degrading quicker than it should due to over usage and a lack of appropriate maintenance leading to roughness and in some cases some cracked rail. This has a greater impact upon the turnouts and is reporting leading to some cracking primarily at turnouts - which ultimately could cause a derailment at a turnout.

The SRTET needs to purchase a new rail grinding maintenance vehicle to smooth the track & turnouts AND/OR in the long term replace the whole track.

I am a bit surprised by this as the track is rated at 60 and I would have thought it would be very durable for this line.

No prices for guessing in which country the track and turnouts were manufactured.....

The truth is that the track was built by some shoddy chinese contractor using track components all imported from China.

I have been warning people about this potential danger since day 1.

Even without proper maintenance , a well built track ( especially a concrete slab track like the ARL) will not need to have its operating speed halved only 3 years after start of operation.

All turnouts already need replacement , and cracked rails after 3 years is unheard of.

A disaster in the making.Trust me.