Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

So what is going on? I have asked a thai rail person to query the exact issue.

And I received a most prompt reply......

The max operating speed has been reduced to 80kph due to the fact that the track is degrading quicker than it should due to over usage and a lack of appropriate maintenance leading to roughness and in some cases some cracked rail. This has a greater impact upon the turnouts and is reporting leading to some cracking primarily at turnouts - which ultimately could cause a derailment at a turnout.

The SRTET needs to purchase a new rail grinding maintenance vehicle to smooth the track & turnouts AND/OR in the long term replace the whole track.

I am a bit surprised by this as the track is rated at 60 and I would have thought it would be very durable for this line.

No prices for guessing in which country the track and turnouts were manufactured.....

Wow, I was expecting some kind of maintenance issue but that has genuinely shocked me. "Over usage" from four/five trains an hour for the last two years?? Shocking.

Coupled with the rapidly deteriorating condition of Makkasan station, the walkway going up with no escalators and the future for the line looks bleak. I have staunchly defended it in the past and always maintained that Makkasan was not a white elephant and all would come good in the end. But now I'm not so sure.

And the SRT might get their mits on a couple of other mass transit routes too? Heaven forbid.

My days of using the ARL are certainly over for the foreseeable future.

I walk the portion between Makassan and Petchaburi MRT on most days. This new walkway will eliminate approximately 200 meters of walking between the two stations - that's a step in the right direct. However, the way the new overhead walkway is configured, it makes a turn to the left when walking toward MRT and then down to the street. My question is why doesn't turn to the right, toward MRT? True, it would need to extend over the railroad tracks and four-lane road, but shouldn't sort of be the point, eliminate the need for pedestrians to cross roadtracks and a busy road?

Right now, everyone coming and going must cross railroad tracks and a very busy street. Turning the overhead walkway toward MRT over these would make the walked infinitely better. However, it isn't, and the current configuration turns pedestrians away from the station putting them on a narrow, poorly-maintained sidewalk and now will need to cross the service road for Makkassan, along with tracks and other roadway.

Eh? It does turn towards the MRT and will drop you where the small car park used to be next to the MRT entrance. So it does cross Asoke and the railway tracks. All in all a massive step (actually many steps) in the right direction. But please please please let there be escalators. That will be a horrendous mistake if there won't be any.

I'm talking about the side of the main ARL station, not across Asoke at the underground MRT station and parking lot. It's the new overhead walkway below the tracks coming out the ARL station and extending out to Asoke. It doesn't cross any roads or railroad tracks. The new elevated walkway does indeed turn to the left and away from the MRT station...that's my point. I'm familiar with the area and walk through often. I see the red line in the photo showing a proposed walkway from the ARL station crossing Asoke, then turning right to MRT, but the walkway currently installed doesn't look like that at all.

Jawnie, I'm not sure that I fully understand this.

Remember that the sat pic with the red lines is indicative of the alignment only. The fact that the link does a small left just before it hits Asoke/Ratchada due to a support pillar is negligible. A bit silly but negligible My greater concern is you stand near where the last link stanchion is located and then look directly east across Ratachada rd, you can see that the span across the road will have to angle back south to avoid the derelict building (which I assume is being demolished). Any span cannot cross the road at 90 degrees to the road as the building blocks it at the opposite side. Check that out as it is problematic.

Also, when reading your earlier post there are two points. Firstly, the route you discuss was the initial underground route for the link which is to the closest MRT entrance (wish I could remember the exit number) adjacent to Kamphaeng Phet 7 road. This could not be built as I mentioned earlier in the thread due to oil and water pipelines running along the railway line. An elevated link along this same route was unable to be built due to a height concern, which to be honest I never really understood.

I think that you may be getting caught up in the first stairs exit from the link which exits north down to Ratchada rd? (posted in TBGs first 2 pics) I would doubt that many people will end up using these stairs which are essentially for people to get to the bus stop which is further north. Some people wanting a taxi north probably will use it, I for one will. No need for escalators here as most likely only a few will use it.

See LakeGeneve's 13:31 post w/pics...it's the first photo. That's the walkway I'm describing.

The max operating speed has been reduced to 80kph due to the fact that the track is degrading quicker than it should due to over usage and a lack of appropriate maintenance leading to roughness and in some cases some cracked rail. This has a greater impact upon the turnouts and is reporting leading to some cracking primarily at turnouts - which ultimately could cause a derailment at a turnout.

The SRTET needs to purchase a new rail grinding maintenance vehicle to smooth the track & turnouts AND/OR in the long term replace the whole track.

I am a bit surprised by this as the track is rated at 60 and I would have thought it would be very durable for this line.

No prices for guessing in which country the track and turnouts were manufactured.....

Wow, I was expecting some kind of maintenance issue but that has genuinely shocked me. "Over usage" from four/five trains an hour for the last two years?? Shocking.

Coupled with the rapidly deteriorating condition of Makkasan station, the walkway going up with no escalators and the future for the line looks bleak. I have staunchly defended it in the past and always maintained that Makkasan was not a white elephant and all would come good in the end. But now I'm not so sure.

And the SRT might get their mits on a couple of other mass transit routes too? Heaven forbid.

My days of using the ARL are certainly over for the foreseeable future.

Aside from the numerous pedestrian design flaws, there's on HUGE one lurking out there. That is the configuration of the track just outside of Makassan station headed toward Ramkamhaeng. Have you ever noticed how strongly the train lurches upon immediately leaving the station? There is a definite lurch which means the curve of the track there is improperly designed and the curve of the track is too sharp. Often, the train operator will pass this area slowly before picking up speed. The problem is that that area of track receives a high amount of stress each time a train passed, stressing the track at the point many times higher than normal. My fear is not that there will be a catastrophic failure of the track - it doesn't need to be. But, the stress on that exact point will eventually cause a failure there. A failure of a track would put the whole system into complete disarray while the track was repaired. It may not even be possible to repair a section of track where the track has broken loose of it's foundation. But, there's definitely a functional design problem there that will fail one day.

I'm talking about the side of the main ARL station, not across Asoke at the underground MRT station and parking lot. It's the new overhead walkway below the tracks coming out the ARL station and extending out to Asoke. It doesn't cross any roads or railroad tracks. The new elevated walkway does indeed turn to the left and away from the MRT station...that's my point. I'm familiar with the area and walk through often. I see the red line in the photo showing a proposed walkway from the ARL station crossing Asoke, then turning right to MRT, but the walkway currently installed doesn't look like that at all.

Remember that the sat pic with the red lines is indicative of the alignment only. The fact that the link does a small left just before it hits Asoke/Ratchada due to a support pillar is negligible. A bit silly but negligible My greater concern is you stand near where the last link stanchion is located and then look directly east across Ratachada rd, you can see that the span across the road will have to angle back south to avoid the derelict building (which I assume is being demolished). Any span cannot cross the road at 90 degrees to the road as the building blocks it at the opposite side. Check that out as it is problematic.

Also, when reading your earlier post there are two points. Firstly, the route you discuss was the initial underground route for the link which is to the closest MRT entrance (wish I could remember the exit number) adjacent to Kamphaeng Phet 7 road. This could not be built as I mentioned earlier in the thread due to oil and water pipelines running along the railway line. An elevated link along this same route was unable to be built due to a height concern, which to be honest I never really understood.

I think that you may be getting caught up in the first stairs exit from the link which exits north down to Ratchada rd? (posted in TBGs first 2 pics) I would doubt that many people will end up using these stairs which are essentially for people to get to the bus stop which is further north. Some people wanting a taxi north probably will use it, I for one will. No need for escalators here as most likely only a few will use it.

See LakeGeneve's 13:31 post w/pics...it's the first photo. That's the walkway I'm describing.

Haha, now I am even more confused!!! You want me to look at the pic that I posted?

Yes we are all discussing the one, same walkway (are there any others?) but you refer to it eliminating 200m - though I suspect it will in fact be longer, not shorter - and turning left, then you describe more direct route asking why it doesn't go towards the closest MRT entrance. My response , I thought, was to try to answer that query. Anyway.......

The truth is that the track was built by some shoddy chinese contractor using track components all imported from China.

I have been warning people about this potential danger since day 1.

Even without proper maintenance , a well built track ( especially a concrete slab track like the ARL) will not need to have its operating speed halved only 3 years after start of operation.

All turnouts already need replacement , and cracked rails after 3 years is unheard of.

A disaster in the making.Trust me.

Interesting, as I only had recollection of one post in the whole thread previously referring to this which I assumed was you but I went back and checked but it was not from you:

The Cure, posted 13/05/21012 #225

It is only a matter of time before a major accident happens on the ARL.

The track was built by some shoddy Chinese contractor which has long left Thailand, and SRT has no money to do the necessary maintenance on the track and the rolling stock.

I have never used it, because it is not convenient for me, and most probably never will.

So I am not sure where you were warning people about this as I couldn't seem to find a previous post from you on this issue? (Some of the language you both use is similar so I wonder).

It does seem completely unheard of after such a short period. The track is UIC 60 - do you know which company manufactured it? Care to name the "shoddy Chinese contractor"? Though the SRT is normally dysfunctional one would still expect that the contract would specify certain standards and imposes obligations that need to be met. This is a major issue given the impending HSR tender process.

Edited by Lakegeneve

LG, it was an expression of humor and sarcasm....

But, while we're at it, the SRT UP escalators inside the Makkasan ARL station already appear to operate that way...at least when we went thru there yesterday.

Inside the terminal, all the escalators were on...but not moving... Then when you want toward the entry point, some kind of sensor detects your movement and starts the escalator running.

Obviously at Makkasan ARL, there are plenty of times when the escalator just sits there un-used. I suspect the same kind of set-up at MRT stations would probably get a whole lot less down time.

Yeah I saw the sarcasm but being from a country where it is an art form I think that you may missed it, with respect .

You describe the sensor based escalator very well - better than I did - and make the valid point with the MRT would have less down time. I still really do no understand why they have not implemented these at all of their escalators given a few stations do have them.

Which kind of design are we seeing in both of the access points to the Makkasan pedestrian bridge???

attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.24.01.jpg attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.30.06.jpg

Much ado about......?

We might be all jumping the gun here and due to a history of delays and institutional dysfunctional reaching an incorrect conclusion based on limited info.

Again, the first pic showing the north facing exit on the north bound side of Ratchada will definitely not need an escalators, stairs are fine.

It is obviously the end of the link with the large supporting frame which connects with the MRT entrance which has to have escalators as specified in the contract (again nearly US$3m!). Your pic is taken from the side inside the construction area, mine was taken from across the road again from the side.

Guess what I noticed at 5am last night as I passed on my way home. There are significant gaps either side of the stair frame, ie. the current stair frame that we see is not the width of the supporting frame, there is at least a meter either side of the stair frame. See the Kendo pic above which has a front view from the viaduct taken 3 weeks ago. If taken now would clearly show this.

TGJ, did you notice this space when you took your pics?

Now, I don't know in the very limited view that I had if there is enough space to house escalator units either side of what could be stairs in the middle of two escalators? The only way to resolve this is to go down and speak with the site manager and ask. (or we just keep speculating until works progress and it becomes clearer...;) )

Re the sensor-based escalators, AFAIK, they've always been there at Makkasan ARL...

But at least on the original installations, I don't remember seeing that style at Phyathai...nor at the Huamak station I sometimes visit.

As for the Makkasan pedestrian bridge and its stairs or escalators, I don't know what they're doing there. I can just see what the photos show for now.

The first photo, taken of the entrance at the corner of the ARL station itself, pretty clearly shows only the structural framing and support for stairs.

But, as you noted, that's not the main entrance or purpose for the pedetrial bridge, since it has no connection or relationship to providing convenient access to the MRT.

The second photo shows current framing for the main pedestrian bridge entrance adjoining the MRT station across Ratchada/Asoke from the ARL station.

The only structural element there right now appears to be configured for stairs. If they're going to put an escalator in there, there doesn't appear to be much sign of it as yet.

Let's hope for once that the SRT folks surpass our very low expectations of them.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Haha, now I am even more confused!!! You want me to look at the pic that I posted?

Yes we are all discussing the one, same walkway (are there any others?) but you refer to it eliminating 200m - though I suspect it will in fact be longer, not shorter - and turning left, then you describe more direct route asking why it doesn't go towards the closest MRT entrance. My response , I thought, was to try to answer that query. Anyway.......

The reason I say that the walk will be approximately 200 meters shorter is because with the new walk installed, passengers go directly out of the building from platform where the ticket booth and turnstiles are. This eliminates the backtracking and walking back toward the center of the station, down two escalators to the exit and then walking on the road toward Asoke. That's where the 200-/+ are eliminated....

The reason I say that the walk will be approximately 200 meters shorter is because with the new walk installed, passengers go directly out of the building from platform where the ticket booth and turnstiles are. This eliminates the backtracking and walking back toward the center of the station, down two escalators to the exit and then walking on the road toward Asoke. That's where the 200-/+ are eliminated....

Thought about exactly that and even tried to estimate it last week when I was there but I do believe that the new link will still end up being longer in distance as it crosses Ratchada in a less direct manner (as you rightly pointed out) then takes a less direct route to that gate than one could take by currently walking to the closer gate. Probably won't end up being much of a diff in distance and not a big issue compared to the others!

You could well be right though.

It was China Railway Construction Company 18 Tianjin bureau. The rails, turnouts and fastenings were sourced in China. Obviously they were rubbish.

Cheers, good to know. Hopefully, this will see the light of day in the news in the near future given the impending HSR line tenders in the next 18 months.

And the other poster wasn't you?

Which kind of design are we seeing in both of the access points to the Makkasan pedestrian bridge???

attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.24.01.jpg attachicon.gif2013-03-21 12.30.06.jpg

Much ado about......?

We might be all jumping the gun here and due to a history of delays and institutional dysfunctional reaching an incorrect conclusion based on limited info.

Again, the first pic showing the north facing exit on the north bound side of Ratchada will definitely not need an escalators, stairs are fine.

It is obviously the end of the link with the large supporting frame which connects with the MRT entrance which has to have escalators as specified in the contract (again nearly US$3m!). Your pic is taken from the side inside the construction area, mine was taken from across the road again from the side.

Guess what I noticed at 5am last night as I passed on my way home. There are significant gaps either side of the stair frame, ie. the current stair frame that we see is not the width of the supporting frame, there is at least a meter either side of the stair frame. See the Kendo pic above which has a front view from the viaduct taken 3 weeks ago. If taken now would clearly show this.

TGJ, did you notice this space when you took your pics?

Now, I don't know in the very limited view that I had if there is enough space to house escalator units either side of what could be stairs in the middle of two escalators? The only way to resolve this is to go down and speak with the site manager and ask. (or we just keep speculating until works progress and it becomes clearer...wink.png )

I did get to stop by late today, took a few pics. The minor issues of the concern regarding escalators, minor compared to the track issue (btw, I have some more info on that to post in a day or so)

The Site Manager was in a mtg so no luck there. Had a little chat with 3 workers, 2 who knew nothing beyond what they were welding but the other said that escalators were to be installed next to the stairs - though it wasn't his area of work. (I have previously attempted to obtain a render but there either is not one or I have not been looking in the right place).

You can clearly see that the stairs have been built in the middle of the structure housing the stairs, with clear space on either side of the stairs. Though, perhaps a little narrow it appears sufficiently wide to house escalator units - I estimate that there is at least around 1.2m on either side. (cheap narrow, chinese built escalators perhaps....?)

8xkgi1.jpg

A wider view - apols for the side view but my Photobucket is not uploading and I quickly used tinypic

2j2dtw0.jpg

View from the opposite end inside the construction area.

2hebhn7.jpg

An angled side view clearly showing the space between the stairs and the frame. You can also see that the area which will be the landing above the stanchion is the same width as the frame, implying that the full width is required. (Perhaps the stairs for those ascending and slides yet to be built for those descending..... Escalators is much more plausible) Could there be another explanation for it to be built this way?

hs89rn.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update and the pics LG.

The minor issues of the concern regarding escalators, minor compared to the track issue (btw, I have some more info on that to post in a day or so)

Really looking forward to that post!

Cheers.

The minor issues of the concern regarding escalators, minor compared to the track issue (btw, I have some more info on that to post in a day or so)

Cheers.

In essence (based on a 2nd hand German exec source) the story is that Siemens was asked to supply the track but wouldn't pay the bribe - perhaps understandable given their convictions in the US and EU - so it was then contracted to the previously mentioned Chinese company. ONe has to infer they did pay the bribe.

Siemens was most unimpressed with the installation work and stated at the outset that the track was of poor quality. The opening of the line was further delayed due to the need to conduct extensive grinding of the track and bring it up to an operating standard.

I timed a Cityline trip from the CAT to the Airport yesterday at 23 mins (8:51am to 9:14am) as opposed to the previous timetable scheduled time of 21 mins. Not so bad.

New timetables have been posted at the CAT and Airport but still NOT as yet on the website!

The ped link continues at a snails pace. Already beyond the 120 day construction period I'd suggest that it will not be completed until late June. That would make it 2 years after the SRT first said it would be done by, not bad by the SRT's standards! whistling.gif

Edited by Lakegeneve

Cheers.

In essence (based on a 2nd hand German exec source) the story is that Siemens was asked to supply the track but wouldn't pay the bribe - perhaps understandable given their convictions in the US and EU - so it was then contracted to the previously mentioned Chinese company. ONe has to infer they did pay the bribe.

Siemens was most unimpressed with the installation work and stated at the outset that the track was of poor quality. The opening of the line was further delayed due to the need to conduct extensive grinding of the track and bring it up to an operating standard.

With all due respect , the german guy is lying . The contract was

awarded to the SIEMENS-BGRIMM-SINOTHAI consortium. SINOTHAI was in charge of

the civil works, SIEMEMS in charge of the trackwork and E&M. SIEMENS

subcontracted the trackwork portion to that shoddy chinese outfit for 2 reasons

: first because they offered them a silly low price, secondly because SIEMENS

was hoping to get some big contract at that time in China and thought it would

be politically correct to give a contract to a Chinese contractor , hoping for

a return of favor . As far as bribes are concerned, SINOITHAI paid them upon

receiving the downpayment from SRT ,

that’s how things work in this country.

At the end of the day, if trains derail on this track, the only name that

will be muddied is that of SIEMENS

I'm recalling the past reporting and problems with the "premature" wearing out of the brush units on the ARL trains -- a problem that led to curtailment of services on the ARL line because they couldn't put enough trains into service to maintain their schedule, and they either hadn't or couldn't order the replacement parts from Siemens in a timely enough manner, if memory services.

All of this now makes me begin to think that there was/is some connection between that prior (and perhaps continuing) problem with the trains and the crummy quality of the ARL track installation and surfaces....

I don't remember ever hearing any explanation of WHY the pretty expensive train brushes were wearing out far faster than expected. But perhaps now, with the recent reporting here about the track problems, we're beginning to get some idea of why.

Are the ARL trains still supposed to be operating at reduced speed? I took a City Line train from Phaya Thai to the airport on last Tuesday and almost forgot about the speed issue. I remembered toward the end of the ride, between the last couple stations, and we were moving faster than the fastest vehicle traffic visible on the adjacent highway, so that seems to be pretty fast, no? (This was a 1:15pm train, and the highway traffic was not congested.)

There was an amusing incident at Phaya Thai platform. There were three young ladies with those large roller suitcases which are about 2/3 their body height. They were just getting off the escalator as the train doors were getting ready to close, so the train door signal person went into high alert encouraging them to hurry up. Well, they were oblivious and seemed flustered and finally made it to the train door during the train door signal symphony. They were still oblivious and fussing, and after two of them got on the train, the door slammed shut -- you know how they slam -- and left the third one on the platform with a bewildered look. Ooops.

• Like 1

One thing about the pedestrian link down to the MRT, the stairs / escalators appear to go down to ground level, which means that people will need to then carry their bags up the (10?) stairs at the MRT.

Not a big surprise though.

Cheers.

With all due respect , the german guy is lying . The contract was

awarded to the SIEMENS-BGRIMM-SINOTHAI consortium. SINOTHAI was in charge of

the civil works, SIEMEMS in charge of the trackwork and E&M. SIEMENS

subcontracted the trackwork portion to that shoddy chinese outfit for 2 reasons

: first because they offered them a silly low price, secondly because SIEMENS

was hoping to get some big contract at that time in China and thought it would

be politically correct to give a contract to a Chinese contractor , hoping for

a return of favor . As far as bribes are concerned, SINOITHAI paid them upon

receiving the downpayment from SRT ,

that’s how things work in this country.

At the end of the day, if trains derail on this track, the only name that

will be muddied is that of SIEMENS

NO need for due respect, it doesn't matter as it is 2nd hand info, as was stated. It would make sense that a Thai based German exec would give the essence of the story a more positive spin from a Siemens point of view given that he has colleagues at the company.

You have previously inferred in the past that you knew about this but never stated it as unequivocally clear as you have done so in this post. Clearly you knew much as the outset. So thanks must be extended. You have no obligation to disclose info in such a public forum and one can understand that most probably would not. Just a shame that such clarity was not forthcoming earlier. I'd be interested to hear your disposition exactly on the safety implications regarding the track and how you believe that this situation can be resolved? JUst a matter of a new track grinding machine or does the whole track need replacement in the next few years (or perhpss just the turnouts?)

I was aware of the division of works in the consortium but the question still has to be why would Siemens jeopardise future contracts in Thailand and elsewhere in the world by signing off on a "shoddy chinese outfit' works? The balance of gain of sought favour in the then future with china contracts does not appear to outweigh such a firms reputation elsewhere in the world? But you make that clear with your last sentence.

Previously, a poster stated in 2011 that 'the ARL was an accident waiting to happen' - words to that effect. It is difficult to take such a statement seriously if one doesn't specify the reason why one has that view nor disclose relevant information. Thereafter, the issue has to be that if there is an apprehension of a reasonable safety risk which may result in a serious incident is one not obliged to make an effort to make that known? (I'm not suggesting that TV is the appropriate place to do such).

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

I made another RT Saturday on ARL from Makkasan to Huamak....leaving around 10 am and returning around noon.

The City Line train was reasonably full on the way out, and packed sardine can full on the way back.

On one of the segments, while the train was moving at full speed between stations, there were two really loud and sharp metallic BANG sounds within a few seconds of each other. It kind of sounded like the train had run over something to make that noise.

And on a couple of the station departures, the train took a pretty good jolt as it transitioned from the station track area out onto the main track line.

Meanwhile, here's the latest photos on each end of the glacially slow construction of the Makkasan-MRT pedestrian bridge...

No sign of escalators yet on the MRT side that I could see (the last photo below), and clearly there won't be any on the corner entrance on the ARL side (the first two below).

post-58284-0-43368500-1365272069_thumb.j post-58284-0-24549900-1365272088_thumb.j

post-58284-0-26613000-1365272099_thumb.j

I made another RT Saturday on ARL from Makkasan to Huamak....leaving around 10 am and returning around noon.

The City Line train was reasonably full on the way out, and packed sardine can full on the way back.

On one of the segments, while the train was moving at full speed between stations, there were two really loud and sharp metallic BANG sounds within a few seconds of each other. It kind of sounded like the train had run over something to make that noise.

And on a couple of the station departures, the train took a pretty good jolt as it transitioned from the station track area out onto the main track line.

Those two sharp bangs have always been there. They even have signs on the trains (small ones) to say not to worry about that noise because it's normal. In fact I asked about it here about a year ago but never got any satisfactory answer about what causes it. I'd still really like to know.

Here's the link.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, here's the latest photos on each end of the glacially slow construction of the Makkasan-MRT pedestrian bridge...

No sign of escalators yet on the MRT side that I could see (the last photo below), and clearly there won't be any on the corner entrance on the ARL side (the first two below).

attachicon.gifARL Makkasan Stairs a 2013-04-06 .jpg attachicon.gifARL Makkasan Stairs b 2013-04-06.jpg

attachicon.gifARL Makkasan Stairs c 2013-04-06.jpg

The escalators won't go in until the section is fully covered. It will probably be the very last thing done.

What I know for sure is that all the dodgy chinese turnouts have to be replaced ASAP and they are the reason why people hear those loud noises .

SRT has already gone out to European turnout makers asking them for a retrofit solution that would not mean shutting down the track . An impossible proposition

For the rest of the track components ( fastenings, rail, sleepers ), the situation is not as clear , but my gut feeling is that it will get worse very soon .

Now as to why Siemens went with this crappy chinese contractor, whilst I agree with your logical analysis, don't forget that the context in which this deal was inked.

Back then, China was then new Eldorado for Siemens . Even if the people on the ground here were dead against the deal, they had no choice but to go with the corporate wave.

Sad but true.