Weird Noise Coming From Rear Left Hand Side

onnut

the last couple of days driving in Bangkok I have had a strange noise coming from the rear left hand side of my car. it sounds like gas escaping but only last a few seconds and then stops starts all the way. it was driving me nuts!!! so when I got home today I check a few things.

I look at the brakes, they are working fine but I noticed the back brake pads looked very close to the disc, to me it looked like they were touching. but my braking seems fine.the disc was as worn as the front, not that worn because the car is only 18 months old.

also as I could not work out where the hissing sound was coming from I opened up the petrol tank and it hissed a lot until I took the cap off! is this normal? I have never heard it before. the tank is nearly empty but the light is not on yet so I will probably fill it up by Friday. but thinking about it now, I think that is where the noise is coming from. is it possible?

Thanks

if it stop starts stop starts when youre driving, its probably yr brakes

I had a 2004 Accord auto, went thru a set of front brake pads in 12 months. My boss wasnt too happy as I need new tyres too :)

Edited by Donnyboy

if it stop starts stop starts when youre driving, its probably yr brakes

I had a 2004 Accord auto, went thru a set of front brake pads in 12 months. My boss wasnt too happy as I need new tyres too :)

I will get the brakes sorted this week at Honda. the stop start was while the car was in motion and my foot was not on thee brake.

also as I could not work out where the hissing sound was coming from I opened up the petrol tank and it hissed a lot until I took the cap off!

The sound of gas escaping is very different to the noises from a grinding brake! It could be the gasoline tank purging. In a fuel injected car gasoline is continually pumped to the inlet fuel rail for the injectors and the excess is returned to the tank. It's highly unlikely, but if there is a minute air leak in a fitting air could enter the low pressure return system. A build up of air combined with the vapour from the gas can be a considerable force. Just gasoline vapour can have a considerable force! If the vapour recovery system is working properly you wont hear anything. Then, maybe it's just the fuel cap.....which has a spring loaded valve....and the valve is defective. Other than that, my guess is something is screwy in your pollution control system.

Check the condition of the fuel tank vent. Newer cars have the fuel tank vent line rigged so that no gasoline vapor can escape directly to the atmosphere. Usually routed to the intake manifold so any vapors are burned in the engine. The gas cap has a pressure relief valve built in to relieve the pressure if the vent line becomes clogged. It may well be the cause of your intermittent 'Hiss'.

Check the condition of the fuel tank vent. Newer cars have the fuel tank vent line rigged so that no gasoline vapor can escape directly to the atmosphere. Usually routed to the intake manifold so any vapors are burned in the engine. The gas cap has a pressure relief valve built in to relieve the pressure if the vent line becomes clogged. It may well be the cause of your intermittent 'Hiss'.

Hi Seedy, you are right, I just put my car in for a service today and told them about the sound. when he undid my petrol cap it sounded like a large bottle of coke being opened. anyway, the valve is faulty and they will replace today.

thanks for your help everybody.

Oh yes.. That was me siphoning gas from your car. I wish you would wait until I am finished.. dam_n you almost killed me.

Brakes i think sure.

So the noise continued! I had the car serviced on Saterday as I said in the last post. Anyway I just went back to the showroom and told them to find the problem. Turns out it is the rear brake pads on the inside.

I was not happy wththem as they told me they checked the brakes and there as nothing wrong. Anyway they are fixing them now.

Servce ain't like it used to be is it?