Ferries? Boats Going To Koh Samui?

bunta71

There is no ferry service to Samui from Pattaya.

Ferries are the most popular means of reaching Samui, and the only way to get to Koh Phan Ngan and Koh Tao.

By taking the train or bus to Surat Thani you then have the option of almost hourly ferry services to Samui, and a few times a day to Koh Phan Ngan and Koh Tao from several piers nearby. There is also the option to catch a twice daily fast catamaran from Chumpon, halfway down the coast from Bangkok, which is the quickest way to reach Koh Tao.

You can fly from Utapao to Samui or Samui to Utapao with Bangkok air.

Bangkok Airways

Bangkok Airways is the sole company which operates daily through flights on the island since 1988 and which possesses its own private airport.

Edited by nam-thip

There isn't a ferry to the best of my knowledge linking Pattaya and Samui.

Probably your best bet is to go to Bangkok where you can pick up the Lompryah bus from the Kosahn Rd (sorry about the spelling). The bus will transport you the Lompryah catamaran which then hops to Koa Toa onto Koh Phangan and finally onto Samui.

The entire trip takes a while, about 12 hours if I recall.

You can also take the train from Bangkok to Surrathani, then then ferry.

You xcould of course fly from Utapoa - but the return airfair with the budget/recession minded Bangkok Airways is a whopping 7,600 baht!!

From surit thani you can go by bus 1 hour to dunsak and then go to Koh phangan,and then on to Samui.

You can go from Donsak to either Koh Samui or Koh Phangan.

Take the VIP bus from southern Bus Terminal in BKK direct to Koh Samui (night sleeper)

Goes direct to Donsak and catches the 7 AM Ferry.

If you arrive before 6 AM, just get of the bus and take the 6 AM ferry. :)

Edited by PoorSucker

There isn't a ferry to the best of my knowledge linking Pattaya and Samui.

Probably your best bet is to go to Bangkok where you can pick up the Lompryah bus from the Kosahn Rd (sorry about the spelling). The bus will transport you the Lompryah catamaran which then hops to Koa Toa onto Koh Phangan and finally onto Samui.

The entire trip takes a while, about 12 hours if I recall.

You can also take the train from Bangkok to Surrathani, then then ferry.

You xcould of course fly from Utapoa - but the return airfair with the budget/recession minded Bangkok Airways is a whopping 7,600 baht!!

I made the mistake of taking Lompryah once. Never again. I now consider them to be just another shoddy private company. If anyone wants to know specifics, I can go into detail.

I also recommend not to take ANY private ( tourist ) bus.

I recommend the train ( 2nd class AC sleeper ) to Surat Thani and bus/ ferry to the islands.

If not possible to take train, VIP bus from Bangkok Southern Bus Station. There is a bus from Pattaya Northern Bus Station direct to the Bangkok bus station.

I know there is a bus company that runs inclusive of the ferry to Na Thon, but haven't taken it from the Bangkok end, so don't know where the office is.

From surit thani you can go by bus 1 hour to dunsak and then go to Koh phangan,and then on to Samui.

Take the VIP bus from southern Bus Terminal in BKK direct to Koh Samui (night sleeper)

If you take the ferry without the bus on board, you will have to make your own travel from the Samui pier, and the songtheaws are now a rip off, I believe. If you go with the bus you get taken to Na Thon where you will be able to get the "round the island" regular service.

I had to drop off someone at Pattaya North bus station the other day and there was a very large new yellow air conditioned coach with the destination 'Koh Samui' written all over the destination board. I did not check out the details as I could not park there, but there was a large advert for the 'new' services to Hua Hin and Koh Samui. The coach looked really nice and I may even try that rather than Bangkok Airways next time we go down to Samui.

Edited by dsfbrit

If you take the ferry without the bus on board, you will have to make your own travel from the Samui pier, and the songtheaws are now a rip off, I believe. If you go with the bus you get taken to Na Thon where you will be able to get the "round the island" regular service.

This is if you take the raja ferry that goes to Lipa Noi.

Seatran ferry goes to to Nathon, check the ticket they give you.

Edited by PoorSucker

I had to drop off someone at Pattaya North bus station the other day and there was a very large new yellow air conditioned coach with the destination 'Koh Samui' written all over the destination board. I did not check out the details as I could not park there, but there was a large advert for the 'new' services to Hua Hin and Koh Samui. The coach looked really nice and I may even try that rather than Bangkok Airways next time we go down to Samui.

that's awesome, I'm def gonna check that out, do you know roughly how long that may take by bus? also, would Koh Phangan be closer than samui? or best to go straight to Samui, then catch a ferry to Phangan?

I usually go to Samui from U-Tapoa airport - so I cannot help you. I decided to check out that big yellow bus from Pattaya the next time I go to Pattaya. I am there tomorrow or Thursday so I will post the info then.

post-30953-1275568245_thumb.jpg

I went to the bus station today. The bus was just arriving at 6pm. Here is the info you need. The cost is about 1200 baht according to the driver. Good Luck...

Thanks for that mate, hey do you know if this is private or goverment? cheers. :)

The bus sign itself says it is 'Roong Reung' which is part of the Thai 'Transport Company' subsidied government network. However, it may be they have hired it out to a third party, as this particular bus has a 'mugdaharn' logo as well - which as you know is way up north...

post-30953-1275645450_thumb.jpg

If I were you I would give them a call and find out the details. For example - does the price include the ferry etc... and how long it takes!!!

I am in Pattaya next week, so will check this out as well then when I pick my wife up from the bus station...