Thai Girls Who Say "krap"

thaiman

I speak thai pretty well and once in a while i'll come across a female (usually someone who is a bit surprised that I can speak Thai) who responds to me with "krap" instead of "ka" . What does this mean, if anything? Are they making fun of the way I speak thai? Are they lesbians? Any thoughts?

Hi, just talking with the "wife" here and she is suggesting that they may be saying this as they are happy to hear your thai language efforts and may be trying some form of assistance to your thai, in using the Krap, and giving you further encouragement to using it in your response too, I have limited thai so am relying on her response here.

This is quite common particularly with the women assistants in the sports sections in the malls.

They are simply the gender confused equivalents of lady boys. Not sure what name to give them gentleman girls? weather they take part in the pleasures of the island of lesbos, well your guess is as good as mine

I'm guessing you're not a troll, by your membership date... What did the "female" look like? A "Tom Boy?" Because a katoey would always, or at least when ever I have the unfortunate experience of running into one or hear them speaking, they try to speak in the female tense; ka. But I have heard "Tom Boys", butch lesbians speak in the male tense; "krop." We call them butch dykes in the US. They even have a group called dykes on bikes: Motorcycle Club. To each is his or her choice, I guess. Best wishes and good luck in "love" to everyone!!!

This is quite common particularly with the women assistants in the sports sections in the malls.

They are simply the gender confused equivalents of lady boys. Not sure what name to give them gentleman girls? weather they take part in the pleasures of the island of lesbos, well your guess is as good as mine

they could be in a gender crisis ,, undecided .

or just full blown ,, tomboys , and can they pull some beautiful girlrs ,

what a waste , bstds

My Thai wife of 15-years does this but only among friends and family. She says it's because Ka is a bit soft and girlie, nothing more.

Nothing Tom Boy about it I can tell you.................... I think :)

• Like 1

My Thai wife of 15-years does this but only among friends and family. She says it's because Ka is a bit soft and girlie, nothing more.

Aren't girls supposed to be soft and girlie?

I'd be feeling a bit short-changed if i married a girl who wasn't.

It's a usage girls/women employ with little boys and foreigners. In the same way you'll hear men use the female polite particle when addressing baby girls. It's to remind them what they should say.

So "jonnyscot" is right?

The TGF says:

If you're not a beginner Thai speaker (whereas a Thai girl might be trying to instruct or lead you to use Krap), or a Thai baby boy, they're most likely a tomboy girl (in tinglish; a "Tom", or a "Butch") trying to project a male vibe/persona. :D

But there's another time when a reversal of gender specific words (Kaa/Krap) occurs:

Intimate couples can trade Kaa and Krap usage with each other. For some reason (maybe because it's a private word game that is exclusively played with your lover), it's just considered really cute to Kaa your girlfriend, and likewise have her Krap you back. :D

Really good male-female friends can do it too, but it's not common, unless it's part of a joke, or some overt performance. Usually, it's just for romantically involved couples.

The GF and I steal and then use each other's Kaa & Krap all the time, especially on the phone.

It's perfectly ok do it in public too, unless you (for some reason) don't want the people around you to know you're intimate with that person. :)

Note to Mod: Perhaps this thread would be better situated in a Thai Language or Culture Forum..?

I've noticed that women who are store owners, restaurant owners and the like, at least in Southern Thailand, say Krap. Also, saying Krap to young male children.

I all ways just took it as a way of indicating that you are speaking to the boss.

Sometimes my wife finishes a sentence with the word; jaa, like Sawadee jaa.

So there is Krup, Ka and Jaa.

I don`t have a bladdy clue and this is all making my brain hurt. Anyway, ignorance is bliss.

I'm not an expert, but I'll share what I've learned...

Jaa is a cuter, sweeter version of Ka. Usually used (by girls) with an intimate friend (and definitely used by ladyboys). If you're a guy, you can say it, but it better only be with your GF, or you'll be in trouble for sure.

While on the subject, "Na" is a sentence particle, that just softens what might otherwise end up sounding harsh or brash (or like a barked order). On a side note, ladyboys sometimes change "Na" to "Jyah" (so don't say it, or it'll sound strange).

To further confuse things, you can sometimes hear Na and Jaa used serialy..as in:

"อย่าลืมโทรหาฉันหลังจาก, นะ จ้ะ" (yàa leum toh hăa chăn lăng jàak, ná jâ) which changes "Don't forget to call me later" (as a harsh, barked order), into "Would you not forget to call me later, hon?"

And Na and Krap (or Ka) can be used in the same way:

"เช็คบิล, นะ ครับ" (check bin ná kráp) which changes "Gimme the check" into "May I have the check please, sir"?

If you wanna go completely off the deep end of respect and politeness, then add "ครับผม" (kráp pŏm) to the end of a sentence, which is the Thai equivalent of "My Lord / My Lady". Use it for someone that's really important, or when you're deeply, profoundly grateful to someone.

I don`t have a bladdy clue and this is all making my brain hurt. Anyway, ignorance is bliss.

Edited by garyh

It's a usage girls/women employ with little boys. In the same way you'll hear men use the female polite particle when addressing baby girls. It's to remind them what they should say.

Yes. Plus my wife will use it with her male staff as a camaraderie type thing. "Kha' can also be used as a sort of polite term of endearment if the speaker is an older man talking to a young woman. I noticed the MC on the Academy Fantasia singing competition show (my daughter's choice of viewing not mine btw!) did this frequently when talking to female contestants.

Edited by mca

I've noticed that women who are store owners, restaurant owners and the like, at least in Southern Thailand, say Krap. Also, saying Krap to young male children.

I all ways just took it as a way of indicating that you are speaking to the boss.

It could also be a shortened version of 'kraphom' which means 'Yes Sir'biggrin.gif

On a related subject, when I was teaching quite a lot of the boys used "chan" as the personal pronoun. Not katoys or gay kids especially, as far as I know. What do you know about that?

It could also be a shortened version of 'kraphom' which means 'Yes Sir'biggrin.gif

Think you are correct, just asked Mrs Soutpeel, who says it to me, and she means "Yes boss" when talking to me...ie she is joking

:):D When I lived in Thailand there was a rather cute shop owner ,who was abit boyish that use to always say Kap Koon Krap to me. She had a husband and a couple of kids. I was told it was just a more polite form of speech and she knew I kinda liked her.

On another note reading this post reminded me of one of my security guards at our factory , who's only reply to me was always Krappom, Krappom.

LL

It's just sarcasm, plain and simple. Weather it's light hearted or with downgrading intent, depends on the context. Nothing at all do with tomboys or lessies

This is what I felt when I started hearing it spoken to me. I'm always left with the feeling "Is she messing with me?". I don't like it when they say this, and sometimes they will say it with a weird smile.

My Thai wife says "krap" as she is not a poodle Thai girl with naaaaa jaaaaaaa hi-so wannabe language.... she is the boss of an accounting company and used to dealing with successful Thais.... maybe its when they(Thai lady) are stronger than the normal sweet, soft hello kitty type wearing girls..

I had a sweet Thai-Chinese (yawn) g/f once and she used to say krap too...but only to security guards etc....

<deleted>!...maybe its me and i wear the skirt in my relationships :)

and i've never seen my wife 100% naked :D

She is speaking Lanna Thai.

It's just sarcasm, plain and simple. Weather it's light hearted or with downgrading intent, depends on the context. Nothing at all do with tomboys or lessies

This is what I felt when I started hearing it spoken to me. I'm always left with the feeling "Is she messing with me?". I don't like it when they say this, and sometimes they will say it with a weird smile.

You have to rememeber, you're talking about a language that is so bent out of shape and complex, that very often even thais have trouble understanding what another thai is talking about. It's nothing negative, I can assure you of that. It's very true what people say about , when talking to toddlers, it is more of a reminder for the toddlers on politeness. When hearing it from sales staff, it may be a throw back from that. Fact is, it is one very complicated language, even for the thais.